The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 16th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Rain is suppose o come later this afternoon but we will see. The forecast is never accurate. I hope it holds off as this is the 2nd day of the Air Show.

I like mushrooms of all types, and elephants are magnificent. I would like to see one on a safari but that is not likely. Been o Alaska twice but not to Whittier. 

The Air Show yesterday was great. I found myself ducking my head on a couple of occasions. The pilots are amazing with what they can do. Huge number of people were here, total gridlock on A1A. Glad I was not in that.  This is a small town with only AIA going through. The river is on one side and the ocean on the other, so not much wiggle room. The crowds are already coming in for todays event.

@StLouisCruisers a very Happy Birthday to your DGS.

@cruising sister What a wonderful thing to do for your friend. 

Not much for me to do today except watch the air show . Although I have a busy week ahead.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Fantastic photos Sandi.

Happy 18th birthday to Kai your grandson.

18th-birthday-49.gif

Thank you very much Graham!  I remember waiting at the hospital the morning he was born and getting to hold him right after.  Wow, those years went by fast!

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to your DGS! 🎂  And congratulations to Ren and his team.

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!

Thanks so much Melanie!  Quite a weekend at their house.🎂

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Good early morning,

Sleep has been evading me the past few nights. I snuck out of the bedroom but DGS found me. I have him sleeping on the sofa next to me. He has been with me since Friday which helps. My friend does not have much money and lives on social security and money she gets with part time work. I feel blessed to have money from DS sons estate and I have been using it to help others. I paid 3 months of her rent and gave her a food card. I know my son would approve. I hope it takes one burden off her shoulders. 

It is so windy here I had a hard time opening the door to let Molly out. Spring in Kansas!

I am so happy everyone made it to FLL. I wonder how many others didn’t make it. With all the help everyone gave the Dailylites they were definitely at an advantage. Prayers for all on the care list and have a wonderful day. 

I loved hearing about helping your friend who is struggling.  Today is also Good Deeds Day and you are a perfect example of that!  I would add Gerry @ger_77 and her DH to that group as well.  So many good deeds we hear about on the Daily.😇

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

It's Bitter to be Hoppy Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Auchentoshan® American Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky
1/2 part Aperol® Aperitif
1/4 part Grapefruit Juice
6 dashes Lemon Bitters
2 1/2 parts IPA Beer
Lemon Wheel

Instructions
Stir all ingredients and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a lemon wheel.

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 6.46.12 AM.png

What a combination!  I can safely say I would not like the taste of that concoction!  But thank you Dixie!

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We had a lovely church service today.

It is nice and sunny at the beach as I enjoy the picnic Pauline prepared and my McDonald's coffee.

Graham.

IMG_20230416_120335.jpg

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day!

53 minutes ago, Denise T said:

Good morning, everyone. Thanks for the daily. 

Up early this Sunday morning to get some exercise in. Working to get my diabetes back on track ever since I had Covid last year. Trying a new med (was on it several years ago which helped). So, working on a new exercise and nutrition program. 

Yeah, for Whittier! I will be sailing from Whittier on my Alaska trip on 5/28/2023. I will be flying to Anchorage on May 27th and taking the train to Whittier on the 28th. Thank you for the pictures. 

Going to the garden center later today to get supplies. It is supposed to be a nice warm and hopefully sunny day today. 

Good luck with your exercise and nutrition program.  Always a laudable effort.  I'm glad today's port of the day was of help to you.  Stick around and you'll find all kinds of places to add to your bucket list.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone from a cool, gray Ogunquit, Maine.  Elephants deserve all of our efforts to save them.  I like most mushrooms, morels will be popping up near my mom’s in northern Michigan soon.  This bean counter thinks that today’s quote is a bit too tutty for his liking.  The sandwiches sound nice but I’m not sure about the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port yet.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for those who need them.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

I thought of you when I wrote about bean counters this morning @Mr. Boston.  Hope you're enjoying your stay in Maine.  Sounds very interesting and scenic.

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Sunday.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie.  I think for my career I would have been considered a bean counter.  Elephants are threatened despite their majesty.  I like the Channing quote but will pass on the mushrooms.  I visited Whitter just once, arriving on the ferry Kennicott in 2016.  It was the trip where I went through the Northwest Passage on Crystal Serenity, and I could have combined it with a Serenity cruise from Vancouver.  The ferry left Bellingham the same day Serenity left Vancouver but took 5 days rather than Serenity's 10.  With the extra 5 days I plugged in a Princess Denali land tour.  It's my only time with Princess and they do not consider me a past passenger.  Here's the ferry terminal in Whitter which is not the same as the cruise terminal:

whittier.jpg

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Petit Filet, and Baked Alaska as served on MS Amsterdam's Pinnacle Grill April 16, 2014.

Roy

Seems like there's never a sunny day in Whittier!  Surely once in a while the sun must shine.

15 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. The weather is nice and cool, going up to sixty or so later. The sun has gone away for today. I love mushrooms but DD really does not so I often make things without and add them later after I have fixed her portion. Falafel is delicious but my attempts at making our own have failed. Maybe  Debbie @dfish can help with the recipes. The salmon packets were outstanding and I just got them properly cooked when the rain started yesterday.

I salute the Bean Counters and the elephants. We got as far as the tunnel for Whittier when we were exploring the Anchorage area . The quote requires more coffee.

Thanks to all for the great photos of Venice. I will be able to continue to visit in my dreams until I manage to actually get there!

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, a very Happy Birthday to your DGS! Thank you for starting us up every day and  bringing us along on your travels.

Thank you for the birthday wishes.  I'm betting Kai will be touched to know my friends sent such lovely thoughts.  I like the fact you try out so many of Debbie's recipes.  The family must be in awe of your cooking abilities!  Lol!

4 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning.  Thanks for starting us off Sandi with the Daily and Fleet Reports and Happy birthday to your GS.   I will pass on all the comestibles, bitters and IPA, a wine we can't get and vegetables as a main course.  Thanks for securing these for us nonetheless.     @JazzyV thanks for keeping our care and celebrations lists for us each day.   Prayers for all on our list, the shooting victims and the people of Ukraine.   

We have a complete turnaround in our weather from 80s to the 40s tomorrow with light snow.   I can run errands like groceries, Salvation Army drop off, manicure and buying more lettuce.  Our diets cause us to go through a lot of lettuce.    

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!   

image.png.11487becac5a1c5de0d1a498ed70e759.png

Have a wonderful Sunday!   Nancy 

Nancy, thanks for the birthday wishes for Kai, a fellow Michigander.   What a topsy-turvy spring you're having!  And good luck with the diets.🍽️

1 minute ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Rain is suppose o come later this afternoon but we will see. The forecast is never accurate. I hope it holds off as this is the 2nd day of the Air Show.

I like mushrooms of all types, and elephants are magnificent. I would like to see one on a safari but that is not likely. Been o Alaska twice but not to Whittier. 

The Air Show yesterday was great. I found myself ducking my head on a couple of occasions. The pilots are amazing with what they can do. Huge number of people were here, total gridlock on A1A. Glad I was not in that.  This is a small town with only AIA going through. The river is on one side and the ocean on the other, so not much wiggle room. The crowds are already coming in for todays event.

@StLouisCruisers a very Happy Birthday to your DGS.

@cruising sister What a wonderful thing to do for your friend. 

Not much for me to do today except watch the air show . Although I have a busy week ahead.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Thanks Charlene for Kai's BD wishes.  It must be exciting having an air show right over your hometown.  Don't get a crook in your neck looking upwards.  We just had look at the sky day on Friday!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!   

It is supposed to be a few degrees cooler here today with a high of 75F.  Rain moving in late afternoon and evening and then the cold returns tomorrow.  I'm going to have to figure out how to turn the heat back on.  Not much on the agenda today except to get some of the heavy brush to the curb for collection tomorrow.  I will also put out the lumber scraps that were disposed of in the wooded area of the yard.  

Happy Birthday to Kai!  @StLouisCruisers

Today's meal is interesting, but I'm going with @rafinmd Roy's alternative.  I haven't had steak since I was on the Nieuw Statendam last fall.  Falafel is a deep-fried ball or patty-shaped fritter of Arab origin, featuring in Middle Eastern cuisine made from broad beans, ground chickpeas, or both.  Here is a recipe for making your own falafel.  I know  you can get a box mix for it.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/how-to-make-falafel/

falafel.thumb.jpg.400777c3c17abb37f8e2f33064c14edb.jpg

Carrot lovers will love this first recipe because carrots are featured roasted vegetable.  https://pinchofyum.com/spicy-falafel-roasted-veggie-naan-wich

vegetablefalafelsandwich2.thumb.jpg.7e608063e711e2c3f48ae0b3bf9280a6.jpg

This one doesn't call for roasting the vegetables ahead of time, but there is no reason why you couldn't. It also contains a recipe for making  your own falafel.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/279264/baked-falafel-sandwiches/

vegetablefalafelsandwich1.thumb.jpg.3e078aff143cb1bce0c40a85a6b6e6e2.jpg

This last recipe is a cauliflower falafel with roasted vegetables.   A bit of a twist to liven things up!  https://www.archanaskitchen.com/pita-sandwich-with-cauliflower-falafel-and-oven-roasted-vegetables

vegetablefalafelsandwich3.thumb.jpg.3ef2a8315171d6247238cd43b552fef6.jpg

If I had to choose, I'd use different veggies and go with #1.  Maybe #3.   

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good morning! Just got up and looking forward to another day at sea as we sail for El Salvador. Yesterday’s tour in Costa Rica was way too long. Left at 11:00 AM got back to ship at 8:00 PM. The included lunch did not occur to 3:00 PM. The church made of eggs was basically a cinder block type of church and they used eggs to fortify the cement because of the many earthquakes. Then a super long haul to the coffee plantation which had beautiful grounds and a nice lunch. The next stop was Botanical Gardens which we arrived at five minutes before sunset! Not our best tour. If folks are unhappy where they live in US or Canada they should witness the homes in Costa Rica with barred windows and doors with walls surrounding houses topped off with concertina wire. Sad.

When we got back to the ship we immediately went to New York Pizza for dinner.

Afterward stopped by Billboard and listened to male and female singer’s and pianist. They are probably the best I’ve heard at any Billboard and maybe it’s because they are a couple or some type of relationship and our attuned with each other. Then we headed for Showroom to watch concert pianist Hyperion Knight perform. Fantastic pianist who we have seen several times on Hal ships.

Tonight  is an Illusionist so we may enjoy another venue.

That’s it for this morning. Thanks to all who keep the Daily moving and interesting. Have a great Sunday.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.b51b5a2a1128e002ebfb381bc87f56cd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e6856b4c79050f0d30e8aa34994ede0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.73aa7b1b028239295179114482c9f474.jpegimage.jpeg.cc83613a49b1d5ffdcc2ab24eb01c02b.jpegimage.jpeg.158b7a3905523bc7289cfef53470c993.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 18

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC and JV too!

You might be a Redneck if you think mushroom is a place your Mommy served Mush for breakfast.

Shoutout to DD a CPA. Last year she did our tax return and said we owed 2,345 beans! I guess she takes bean counting literally.

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Just got up and looking forward to another day at sea as we sail for El Salvador. Yesterday’s tour in Costa Rica was way too long. Left at 11:00 AM got back to ship at 8:00 PM. The included lunch did not occur to 3:00 PM. The church made of eggs was basically a cinder block type of church and they used eggs to fortify the cement because of the many earthquakes. Then a super long haul to the coffee plantation which had beautiful grounds and a nice lunch. The next stop was Botanical Gardens which we arrived at five minutes before sunset! Not our best tour. If folks are unhappy where they live in US or Canada they should witness the homes in Costa Rica with barred windows and doors with walls surrounding houses topped off with concertina wire. Sad.

When we got back to the ship we immediately went to New York Pizza for dinner.

Afterward stopped by Billboard and listened to male and female singer’s and pianist. They are probably the best I’ve heard at any Billboard and maybe it’s because they are a couple or some type of relationship and our attuned with each other. Then we headed for Showroom to watch concert pianist Hyperion Knight perform. Fantastic pianist who we have seen several times on Hal ships.

Tonight  is an Illusionist so we may enjoy another venue.

That’s it for this morning. Thanks to all who keep the Daily moving and interesting. Have a great Sunday.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.b51b5a2a1128e002ebfb381bc87f56cd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e6856b4c79050f0d30e8aa34994ede0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.73aa7b1b028239295179114482c9f474.jpegimage.jpeg.cc83613a49b1d5ffdcc2ab24eb01c02b.jpegimage.jpeg.158b7a3905523bc7289cfef53470c993.jpeg

I’m still trying to get out of the house!

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

Good morning Dailyites. 

Hoping all is well here on the Daily. I lifted prayers for friends in need and hope the care list starts getting smaller.

Thanks to our ladies who faithfully post and keep us going.

Happy Birthday Kai!

image.png.8747991e3fef74fc9cb0d7089699d514.png

This afternoon we sre invited to lunch at a vineyard in Florence. It should be a beautiful 74 degrees.

Sharon I'm happy you are loving the ship.  Share a picture or two please!

Have a blessed Sunday.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We saw many elephants when we were in Cambodia and Thailand; they are magnificent creatures.  I do like mushrooms, and appreciate bean counters, because I hate accounting.  I'm pretty sure I'd like the drink of the day because it contains 3 of my favourites: scotch, aperol and grapefruit juice.  I'd like to try the wine, but it's a little pricey.

We had a lovely evening last night with our new Ukrainian friends; Vlada made a feast for us with 6 different dishes and a beautiful dessert.  My concern going there was that she would serve beet borscht (I almost gag thinking about it, even though I grew up with it), but to my surprise, she made a cabbage based borscht.  Other dishes included Olivye (potato salad), Vinegret (beet salad which was good because the beets were canned), Shuba (a layered vegetable and fish salad), whipped potatoes, and breaded chicken cutlets.  We finished off our meal with a beautiful strawberry shortcake that the little 5 year old proudly told us she had helped to make.   Although the husband (Anton) has difficulty with English, the conversation flowed easily throughout the evening.  I know we're going to be enjoying much more of this family in the future.

@cruising sisterwhat a thoughtful thing for you to do for your friend, and such a nice way to honour your son.

@StLouisCruisersHappy #18 to your DGS, Kai!

@JazzyVI hope your knee smartens up for you!

This afternoon another couple is coming over - we haven't been together in a long time, so we're overdue for a visit.  I think I'll make a brownie to go with our coffee so we can just eat, sip and chat the afternoon away.  

I've had falafel in pita, and while it was okay, I'm too much of a carnivore to really appreciate it, so will take a pass on today's menu suggestion.  I've got a couple of chicken breasts thawing that will be pan fried and turned into a large bowl of chicken fried rice that will be served along with steamed vegetables at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Not a good night last night, too much going on in my head and heart!  
Thanks @grapau27for Fr David’s sermons. 

I wish DH would enjoy falafel but that’s just not happening here. 

im reposting what I posted Kate last night. Blessings all!I appreciate all your support. m—

———

It’s been a day of running around, making phone calls, getting haircuts, replenishing eye drops from pharmacy, and trying to get a plan together for our quick trip for family funeral. Not all the phone calls were successful so I haven’t got hotel reservations yet, but I read enough reviews to get cross-eyed!  I will have to drive, DHs glasses are not matched yet to his new cataract lens, not till next month. But I’m so grateful he’ll be with me to help me along the way navigating and passing me snacks!! 🍪

Heartfelt thanks to ALL for your condolences. This is my third passing of a cousin in 7 months. Illness can come on quickly. I last saw him at a wake in October!  I didn’t make the January cousins party because of COVID concerns, and he didn’t either, just beginning his yet-undiagnosed illness. Not sure yet if we’ll try to see granddaughter who lives near where we’re headed… she and her DH are just a week past COVID. It’s such a disruption. We ourselves are only a month past our 2nd bout of it which came on the heels of our grand family Rotterdam cruise. Ugh. 

So wonderful to see our Dailyites made it aboard today!  Some very creative and savvy travelers!  
@Sharon in AZ we liked the old ships’ inside cabins where they had a couch!  Now on the Pinnacle class nearly all the insides have only the bed or the toilet to sit on!  Princess has been stingy with sitting areas but at least a chair each!  

@bennybear your comment about the little sandwiches hit home!  My maiden name was Cichetti. And all my cousins are on the Cichetti side!  My Irish mom was adopted, an only child of two only-child parents but she married into a big Italian family. Sadly that family seems to be entering the dwindles. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, thanks for the great pix of Venice. There wasn’t much not to love about Venice!  Too bad the ships can’t dock there anymore. I wonder what Venice will do with the People Mover automatic train that took cruisers from the transportation hub to their ships!  

Very happy to see many ills improving in our Dailyites. May we all stay well and safe, especially @kazu

Welcome @Denise T  Glad you’ve stopped in for a visit here!  This is a very caring assemblage. 

Blessings all for a good rest tonight. Tomorrow I’ll be acting on the several lists I made today! 🙄And laundry, pack Monday including the car. And tomorrow I’ll make Panettone bread to bring to the family!  

Maureen 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

It is a beautiful sunny morning in MD.  Yesterday, I got in a traffic jam by my local Home Depot;  the cars were wrapped around the parking lot waiting for mulch to be loaded in their vehicles.  I heard we are three weeks ahead of our usual growing season.  I’m going to wait at least another week before I plant my annuals.  

I love the art on the Rotterdam.  We spent a sea day walking around and photographing our favorites.  In honor of elephant day6FA27E69-25FD-48B7-BFA5-5E5D221EA74F.thumb.jpeg.938781d23bdf104d8bab8f9b6808a4a2.jpeg

Mushrooms are delicious and a very healthy food.  I like falafel and frequently order it in Greek restaurants as a filling for my gyro.  Thanks for the recipes Debbie.  I’m going to try the first recipe to make my own.  

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

• Like 21

Good morning all,

Am going to post and run. We have a Dailyite meet up at 11, and the shorex presentation is in a few minutes.

Tonight is the HAL 150 year gala and here is the menu. 

IMG_0104.thumb.png.458918998ad122f9c4227af76e1bd868.png

Hopefully if you don’t like falafel or Roy’s alternative, you’ll find something here.😀

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

Hoping all is well here on the Daily. I lifted prayers for friends in need and hope the care list starts getting smaller.

Thanks to our ladies who faithfully post and keep us going.

Happy Birthday Kai!

image.png.8747991e3fef74fc9cb0d7089699d514.png

This afternoon we sre invited to lunch at a vineyard in Florence. It should be a beautiful 74 degrees.

Sharon I'm happy you are loving the ship.  Share a picture or two please!

Have a blessed Sunday.

Thanks Joy for Kai's birthday wishes.  Turning 18 is a big day in our lives.  I remember twin and I turning 18 all these many years later.

18 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We saw many elephants when we were in Cambodia and Thailand; they are magnificent creatures.  I do like mushrooms, and appreciate bean counters, because I hate accounting.  I'm pretty sure I'd like the drink of the day because it contains 3 of my favourites: scotch, aperol and grapefruit juice.  I'd like to try the wine, but it's a little pricey.

We had a lovely evening last night with our new Ukrainian friends; Vlada made a feast for us with 6 different dishes and a beautiful dessert.  My concern going there was that she would serve beet borscht (I almost gag thinking about it, even though I grew up with it), but to my surprise, she made a cabbage based borscht.  Other dishes included Olivye (potato salad), Vinegret (beet salad which was good because the beets were canned), Shuba (a layered vegetable and fish salad), whipped potatoes, and breaded chicken cutlets.  We finished off our meal with a beautiful strawberry shortcake that the little 5 year old proudly told us she had helped to make.   Although the husband (Anton) has difficulty with English, the conversation flowed easily throughout the evening.  I know we're going to be enjoying much more of this family in the future.

@cruising sisterwhat a thoughtful thing for you to do for your friend, and such a nice way to honour your son.

@StLouisCruisersHappy #18 to your DGS, Kai!

@JazzyVI hope your knee smartens up for you!

This afternoon another couple is coming over - we haven't been together in a long time, so we're overdue for a visit.  I think I'll make a brownie to go with our coffee so we can just eat, sip and chat the afternoon away.  

I've had falafel in pita, and while it was okay, I'm too much of a carnivore to really appreciate it, so will take a pass on today's menu suggestion.  I've got a couple of chicken breasts thawing that will be pan fried and turned into a large bowl of chicken fried rice that will be served along with steamed vegetables at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Your eclectic international style dinner with your Ukrainian friends sounds great!  Something you will never forget.  I bet having conversations with you two will help Anton with his English.  Win, win!

• Like 17

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Sandi.

Nice collection of days!  Love mushrooms and elephants.  Bean counters are a necessity and good as long as they don’t get too carried away 😉 

I like today’s quote.  The falafel sounds good but I don’t have the ingredients.  I’ll save it for another day.

0D94E89C-2829-4A6B-9EEF-D92CFA7E6D54.jpeg.6ebc759359670261b93cc3205267f2fb.jpeg

@ger_77 it sounds like you had a wonderful dinner with new friends 👍 

@StLouisCruisers wow - congrats to Ren & his team and a very happy 18th birthday to Kai

B660A6D9-C955-4E4F-9BBE-07EE0BB23801.jpeg.bad52118b0b1d11386b6cb40ee1f0611.jpeg

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I feel blessed to have money from DS sons estate and I have been using it to help others. I paid 3 months of her rent and gave her a food card. I know my son would approve. I hope it takes one burden off her shoulders. 

What a wonderful act of kindness.  I am sure your DS would be very proud of you ♥️ 

Off to a very late start today - slept in - ugh.  Guess I had to make up for a couple of sleepless nights 😉 but now I’m very behind today. 😔  Got to figure out what HAS to be done today and can wait.  I’ll never get everything done at this late time.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them & a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

17222E96-5F08-47FC-B1F5-698C3C559E49.jpeg.511ee9572d34da4ac8c9ad50f64911cc.jpeg

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning from a chilly central Texas.  It is sunny and windy, but not has windy as yesterday.  The temperature is currently 48F and will warm to 73F this afternoon.  We'll have another cold night tonight, but a warming trend begins tomorrow with highs ranging from mid 70s to high 80s for the foreseeable future. 

By the time the laundry was finished and put away yesterday, it was too late to start working outside.  With the sun, it should be nice this afternoon for yard work.  Mainly, with DH's advice, I'll be repairing two sprinkler heads and replacing another one.  I also need to spread the fertilizer and bug preventative.  Friday, I decided to risk the lives of some bedding plants, and I'll be planting them today.  I just hope the adjustments to the sprinkler near the flower bed will help keep them alive.

Elephants deserve all our help in saving them.  When we were in Phuket, our taxi driver offered us a chance to ride an elephant, but we decided to pass.  I like mushrooms sautéed, cooked in various dishes or raw in salads.  I'll salute our Dailyite bean counters. Bean counters the perform a necessary task, at times, some go too far.

The quote is interesting, but I have to think about it some more.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink. I would like to try the wine, and maybe we'll see it in NZ someday.  The price plus shipping makes it a bit pricey to buy here if we could find it.

We have been to Whitter several times, but not on a cruise.  We have driven through the tunnel to see the town or to take a small boat cruise.  I'll look for my pictures in a few minutes.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, cheers for Ren's team having another great win.  HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY TO KAI!

@cruising sister  Lorraine, you are truly an angel to help your dear friend, and it's a nice way to honor you son too.

@cat shepard  Ann, I resemble the second meme, but my earrings are from college.  😉

@dfish  Debbie, I'm amazed at the "landfill" the former owners left in the yard.

@ger_77  Gerry, your dinner and time with Valda, Anton, and their daughter sounds lovely.  You may have an adopted granddaughter locally now.  Enjoy your visit with friends today.

@TiogaCruiser  Laura, enjoy your Dailyite meet and greet.  Please tell Susan @AV8rix  hello from Steve and Lenda.  We really enjoyed visiting with her on Koningsdam last year.

@kazu  Jacqui, just remember that what isn't done today, will wait and there will be wine after today's chores are finished.  

@GTVCRUISER

BonVoyage.png.a34d79280bcc8717edd41a918e26d5a0.png

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Here is what I posted about Whittier on July 16, 2022.  @StLouisCruisers  Sandi, Whittier can have some beautiful sunny days, but also rainy, miserable days.  We were lucky to have a beautiful day for our 26 Glacier Cruise.

What is now know as the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel, was built by the Army and opened in 1943.  This allowed supplies to be moved into the interior year round.  The Army abandoned the tunnel in the 1960s and it became part of the Alaska highway system, and eventually underwent an up grade.  The tunnel is the only access to Whittier by road, and cars share the tunnel with the Alaska RR.  

We have been there a few times, but never sailed into the port.  We have sailed into Anchorage on the 14 day cruise, doing b2b2bs.  At least once every time, we've driven to Whittier.  One year, probably before the tunnel opened to car traffic, we took the train into Whittier.  That day was cold, wet and windy.  We walked around town and reboarded the train.  It was also predigital.

Even today, since Whittier is a protected port, most supplies come through the port.  Rail cars are loaded on barges that have rails.  Once in port, the Alaska RR backs an engine up to the barge and the cars are added to the train for the run into Anchorage and beyond. We watched some cars being unloaded, but I can't find the pictures.

In 2012, we did the 26 Glacier Cruise which we booked on our own.  We were lucky to get a rare, mostly sunny day.  Since we did not want to miss the boat, we got to Whittier early and drove around, but evidently I did not take many pictures.

The approach into town as you leave the tunnel.

P1040528.thumb.JPG.52f8da12d335ca212f490f40f7e7072b.JPG

The building the Army built in the 1940s to house everyone in town.  It is now falling into ruin.

P1040526.thumb.JPG.aca765066a6a1c0f7aced398685883b1.JPG

The new building where the residents live is in the background of this picture taken from our tour boat and in the distance was we drove into town.

P1040699.thumb.JPG.a484d5487badcdd41b2c6b38afa9ae59.JPG
DSC03282.thumb.JPG.319c6a6884edcaf6b20609290663dacf.JPG

In driving around Whittier, we found another oldie.  This is exactly like our first RV which we bought used in 1979.  RVs have come a long ways since this one was built.

P1040525.thumb.JPG.7df89f2c63a47d198926a070e7178ea2.JPG

A picture from the waterfront area

DSC03283.thumb.JPG.97e7d963c90334c113d3480e612e3a22.JPG

Finally, our tour boat coming in to pick us up

P1040535.thumb.JPG.86bd308cc90dba4e547b9bc355aa8a3c.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from the Volendam!  It was sprinkling earlier. 

Just a quick note before I meet up with the Dailyites. 

MDR breakfast view. 

DAAFB42D-8154-4D3D-901B-4CD0ABCB8A2E.thumb.jpeg.5928c2f772e8326bd049127599338ff0.jpeg

I took horrible pictures of my food last night. I’ll have to check them before I start eating next time. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I definitely support Save the Elephants Day. Mushrooms are ok; I can take or leave them. I suppose bean counters are necessary, but when they make medical decisions based on only cost, it upsets me. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal, and drink. Maybe on the wine, due to price.

I've been to Alaska, but not Whittier.

We had thunderstorms last night. It's warm and sunny now, going up to 82F, but thunderstorms again tonight. Then a cold front with possible flurries Tuesday! I'm surprisingly not sore after all the bending and moving doing yard work yesterday. I think I'll try to do the edging today, which always makes the lawn look nice.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. Happy Birthday Kai! Congrats to Ren and his team. Thank you for the Whittier photos too.

@grapau27 Thank you for posting Fr. David's sermon. Nice picnic.

@richwmn Interesting fact.

@cruising sister What a blessing you are to your friend to help her out in that way. 

@Denise T Good for you for working on your health! When I get back from my trip, I plan to visit a new PT center to try to enable me to exercise again.

@rafinmd It's interesting that you seem to have been on numerous ferries; I've never been on one. I'll take your meal instead of the one listed for today. 

@aliaschief That really was a long tour, and sad to hear not a great one. Nice memes.

@Seasick Sailor Enjoy the lunch at the vineyard.

@ger_77 Your dinner with the Ukrainian family sounds delightful. 

@RMLincoln Prayers for you, as you have a lot on your plate. 

@TiogaCruiser Enjoy the Dailyite meetup! Pictures please.

@kazu It was probably good for you to sleep in. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos.

@Sharon in AZ Enjoy the meetup.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  It was sunny when I woke up at 9 !!!! But an hour later, the clouds rolled in, the temps dropped and I guess we might get those storms that the weather people have threatened us with all week.

I ended my time "at the bowl" with a sale.  Yay!  And found out this morning that Lincoln Center is cutting our hours( a good thing since I stink at fund raising) but Arizona Opera isn't ready until maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.  The upside?  I don't have to be at any job until 5:30 tomorrow.  The downside? really small pay.

DH and I need to go shop for new glasses.  He wants to go up to the Bass Pro Shop and get some good hiking shoes.  However, there are times when getting him organized is like herding cats.  But last night he gave me another scare.  We had left dinner, and when pulling out of the parking lot, at a light that goes left or right I got in the lane to turn left to pick up groceries.  He asked me why I wasn't turning right to go get ice cream.  Where am I going to get ice cream I asked.  He said at the Dairy Queen.  Where is the Dairy Queen I asked.  He said across the street to the right.  I looked across the street, at the now parking lot, that was the garden center where I worked 20 years ago, that was a Dairy Queen 30 years ago. I pointed out to him that the Dairy Queen was long gone.  Then he said he was confused, and thought we were in another town.  He has a doctors appointment with his oncologist this week, but this doc has taken over being his primary physician.  Someone that we can both talk to, and because DH seems to have a problem swallowing this is another thing that needs to be brought up.

Indy race today, so we will be home this afternoon.  I am making roasted Obrien potatoes, he will cook two small tenderloins, and we will have salad. 

@ger_77Your dinner last night sounds wonderful!  I think your new "family" make a wonderful addition your family.

@cruising sisterNot only is it nice to do what you have done for your friend, but you have removed a lot of stress for your friend, which is wonderful.  Something that she may not have thought about has been taken care of allowing her to grieve.

@grapau27Thank you for bringing us Father David.  When I see his face, and put my mouse on the play button, it's like opening a gift every Sunday. Like opening a book, and finding  love, compassion, knowledge and friendship.

@StLouisCruisersRen did great yesterday!  What a final score!  And best birthday wishes to Kai.!

I am loving the pictures of Whittier.  And wondering how much snow I will see this May, and should I pack my boots....

here comes the sun again....

52c1d741c92dd253fa57c10d57ebd686.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Here is what I posted about Whittier on July 16, 2022.  @StLouisCruisers  Sandi, Whittier can have some beautiful sunny days, but also rainy, miserable days.  We were lucky to have a beautiful day for our 26 Glacier Cruise.

What is now know as the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel, was built by the Army and opened in 1943.  This allowed supplies to be moved into the interior year round.  The Army abandoned the tunnel in the 1960s and it became part of the Alaska highway system, and eventually underwent an up grade.  The tunnel is the only access to Whittier by road, and cars share the tunnel with the Alaska RR.  

We have been there a few times, but never sailed into the port.  We have sailed into Anchorage on the 14 day cruise, doing b2b2bs.  At least once every time, we've driven to Whittier.  One year, probably before the tunnel opened to car traffic, we took the train into Whittier.  That day was cold, wet and windy.  We walked around town and reboarded the train.  It was also predigital.

Even today, since Whittier is a protected port, most supplies come through the port.  Rail cars are loaded on barges that have rails.  Once in port, the Alaska RR backs an engine up to the barge and the cars are added to the train for the run into Anchorage and beyond. We watched some cars being unloaded, but I can't find the pictures.

In 2012, we did the 26 Glacier Cruise which we booked on our own.  We were lucky to get a rare, mostly sunny day.  Since we did not want to miss the boat, we got to Whittier early and drove around, but evidently I did not take many pictures.

The approach into town as you leave the tunnel.

P1040528.thumb.JPG.52f8da12d335ca212f490f40f7e7072b.JPG

The building the Army built in the 1940s to house everyone in town.  It is now falling into ruin.

P1040526.thumb.JPG.aca765066a6a1c0f7aced398685883b1.JPG

The new building where the residents live is in the background of this picture taken from our tour boat and in the distance was we drove into town.

P1040699.thumb.JPG.a484d5487badcdd41b2c6b38afa9ae59.JPG
DSC03282.thumb.JPG.319c6a6884edcaf6b20609290663dacf.JPG

In driving around Whittier, we found another oldie.  This is exactly like our first RV which we bought used in 1979.  RVs have come a long ways since this one was built.

P1040525.thumb.JPG.7df89f2c63a47d198926a070e7178ea2.JPG

A picture from the waterfront area

DSC03283.thumb.JPG.97e7d963c90334c113d3480e612e3a22.JPG

Finally, our tour boat coming in to pick us up

P1040535.thumb.JPG.86bd308cc90dba4e547b9bc355aa8a3c.JPG

Lenda

Thank you for the pictures of Whittier. Will be sailing from Whittier on May 28/2023 to Vancouver. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1