The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday April 20th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Captains noon hour report. The MS Eurodam has 47 cases of guest with Covid. Symptoms have been very mild but though not mandatory very suggestive to wear mask.

We did cancel our wine tasting for today which we were up in the air whether to do or not prior to announcement. We will elect to don mask when in public areas and movement around the ship.

The ships internet is so slow today. First time it’s been this bad during entire cruise.

Bruce

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

The balsamic/strawberry/basil salmon last night was a BIG hit!  We'll be having that again and again, definitely.  Easy to do too!

Neither of us knows any Chinese, I think I've only been told once that I looked exactly like someone the person knew, and I salute all volunteers.  Will pass on the drink, the wine sounds great, and like Debbie @dfish, my blood sugar does not like pasta so I have to limit that.  That said, the first recipe looks the best to me, but again, between the pasta (blood sugar) and feta (kidney disease) I shouldn't have it. Tonight we'll be having salmon cakes to use up the rest of the salmon.  It was previously frozen so I don't want to freeze it again.

We will be in Milford Sound in March, but not the national park.

Yesterday I was able to get the lawn mowed, it actually turned into a beautiful afternoon and the grass miraculously was dry even with all the rain we've had.  Now I really need to get my hair cut, it's overdue because of being quarantined for a couple weeks.  That may not happen until tomorrow though.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ Thanks for the tip about open dining.  We usually have that because that's what we prefer.  But a few months ago when I learned about my kidney disease and need to limit sodium, we requested to be put into set dining.  The best they could do was put us on the wait list.  So that's where we are now.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Thanks for the heads up about the 2025 world cruises. 

Vanessa @JazzyV Safe travels and Bon Voyage!  

Hoping someone can tell me the date of the salmon recipe. I thought I saved it but alas . . . Thanks so much.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Just stopping for before we run around all day.  We never know the traffic pattern anymore, so we allow for an hour to get into downtown Atlanta.  DH has a dr's appointment. 

I have been trying to figure out what drug I can take to help with the COPD that I can actually afford. The Trelegy works but at $560, I cant afford it.  The insurance company says that another drug is what they will approve, but it is actually cheaper without using the insurance.  I called that in to my doctor, but my nurse, Danny said, that he would provide me with free samples of the Trelegy as long as he can, because the other drug is not that great for you.  I love my nurse! 

That is fantastic that you are getting help with free samples of your drug.  I hope that can continue for a very long time 🤞 

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I am happy to report that as we speak the glass is being installed in our shower.  That will complete all the work in the house.  i have one more bill to pay and that is it.  The contractor is DONE.

Yippee!!!  Hallelujah!  This calls for one happy dance 🙂. So glad to hear it as long last.

6 hours ago, dfish said:

The only thing on the agenda today is an appointment with the surgeon to schedule surgery for the adrenal tumor. 

Good luck with the surgeon today, Debbie.  Hoping things can be attended to quickly (and successfully) for you 🤞 

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

I’m back from my post-op appt. Everything looks great, no weeping, oozing. I was surprised that my eye was still dilated. My vision is a bit “fragmented” (my best description) and I think I can see the gas bubble. My next appt is May 1st. 

YAY!  That is great news 👍. Hopefully it will be an all clear by May 1st!  Take care of yourself, please.

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

My GF and I had made 2 reservations for Vegas so even though the May trip is cancelled, we are still going in July. Elevation restriction should be over by then. 

So glad to hear that you are going to be able to go despite your cancelled plans for May 👍 

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Busy, busy doing last minute stuff! I'll be getting up at o'dark thirty tomorrow, with a 6:15 AM pickup to the airport. I'll actually miss doing the Lists, but will keep up with you all as the internet onboard allows.

Wow -  you are on your way tomorrow.  May your travels be very safe and smooth. 🤞 Hoping you have a wonderful time on your well deserved vacation.

And thank you so much for taking care of the lists.  You do a superb job.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

An additional covid booster, already available in Canada and the UK, has been approved for people over 65 or immunocompromised. I will wait to get one, since I've had covid too recently to need or want one now, and probably get it about a month before Rosh Hashanah so that it will be effective during our fall holidays and the November cruise.

Very wise to wait.  thank you for the reminder.  I’m eligible for my next booster (is that my 4th?) so made an appointment after reading your post.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

@kazuI know the problem of considering doggie adoptions. I swore I was going to stick with one dog and then I felt sooooo sorry for the little Chihuahua. So now I am facing the prospect of boarding 2 if i want to travel. Oh well, they are worth it.... and I just factor that into my budget and planning. Ivan looks very sweet but also very big.

Thanks Susan.  I always had a pack - except at the very beginning when Maverick was the 1st.  Once we were confident he was mature enough for a puppy (he was a VERY big boy - 135 pounds - and not an ounce of at on him) Kazu was brought in the house and welcomed.   I actually like having a couple (or 3) as I feel that they keep each other company but Ivan doesn’t want another dog in the house.  Ivan is bigger than I thought he would be and wider - he’s a labradoodle.  I’ve had both a lab and a poodle and neither were wide but mine were groomed regularly too 😉 

Not sure what I’m doing but I did buy the leash I like today (I lost my old one to Shadow).  I’ll need it sooner or later, I hope.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

And on the topic of dogs .... I have my last BOD meeting for Humane Society on next Wednesday.... then the annual meeting on May 6 and then I am off the Board. Our new executive director seems very good but it will be interesting to see who steps up to do the work I have been doing. I will be glad not to have to drive out to the shelter several times a week and look forward to speeding up the house downsizing and clearance. 

YAY - Good for you!  You’ve been doing this quite a while and working very hard.  I know in some ways you may miss it, but speaking as someone who also went off the Board after many years, it’s kind of nice to have the break 😉 Fair warning - there can be a tendency to feel a tad guilty - especially if they call.  Don’t let it take over.  I hope you enjoy your break.  It’s well deserved.

4 hours ago, superoma said:

Just a bit of trivia from my list monitoring over the last ten days

we are at least 67 strong. 
countries represented are USA, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, italy

provinces in Canada represented Ontario, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan,, Alberta, British Columbia 

us states represented in no particular order FL, CA, SC, WA, PA, MA, KS, MN, MI, CO, IL, VA, OR, UT, NY, WI, NJ, GA, MD, TX, AZ, SD, and 4 undefined

i found this interesting.

That is very interesting.  Thanks for doing the fact gathering 👍 and THANK YOU for taking over the lists from Vanessa while she hopefully has a wonderful vacation 👍 

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Jacqui I know how you feel when you have to do chores DH did. I realize I was a kept women for most of our marriage. The last year I slowly took over things so I may have transitioned a little easier. 

Thanks.  I did have to start to take over things (of course) but not everything had to be done right away.  A lot of the jobs were mine anyways.  DH had specific ones that were mostly distasteful to me.  LOL.

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I am headed off to PT. They will do another evaluation to see if I need more. She claims I am an overachiever. I just want to be strong for my trip. 

Well let them say what they want.  There’s nothing wrong with trying to improve things as much as possible and especially when you have trip coming up soon.  I say you are smart and doing the right thing. 👍 

• Like 20

I got my second booster yesterday. It is both FDA and CDC approved now. CVS wouldn’t give it because corporate hasn’t said to. I went down the road to Walgreens and they gave it no problem. 
No real problems just a little sore arm. I have two weeks until my next cruise and needed all the protection I can. I will still travel with Paxlovid and Tamiflu like I always do. I have a fairly complete medical kit I have traveled with for years. The physician in me is over prepared. A reminder that the free 8 COVID tests ends in May. I need to go get my last eight. I will bring several with me when I travel. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I got my second booster yesterday. It is both FDA and CDC approved now. CVS wouldn’t give it because corporate hasn’t said to. I went down the road to Walgreens and they gave it no problem. 
No real problems just a little sore arm. I have two weeks until my next cruise and needed all the protection I can. I will still travel with Paxlovid and Tamiflu like I always do. I have a fairly complete medical kit I have traveled with for years. The physician in me is over prepared. A reminder that the free 8 COVID tests ends in May. I need to go get my last eight. I will bring several with me when I travel. 

I had to laugh at your 'medical kit' prep --- I'm a retired RN & I gleaned all the 'must take' list of meds from various posters on here....stuffed them all in a nylon backpack & the only thing that came out of it (on our 35 day cruise) was Extra Strength Tylenol for our cabin steward who had a headache & stiff neck --- I gave him the bottle.

• Like 13
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

@Cruising-along Contact Ship Services before you board & fill out a Special Needs form for your dining issues.  Then, when on board, all the dining venues have 'special menus' for the next night's dinner....you pick out what you want, give it to your server or the maitre'd --- somebody checks with the chef in that venue to approve your choices for the next night or let you know that what you picked won't work & offer alternatives.  We ate in the MDR, CO, Tamarind & Pinnacle & all followed my restrictions.

Thank you so much!  I already contacted Ship Services and they made note of it, but it's so good to hear from someone who has been through it and knows how it works.  Question:  The first time I'll be putting this to the test will be a short 5-day Pacific Coastal starting May 1.  We have reservations the first night in the Tamarind, then the 2nd night will be dining in Club Orange.  Each night will be a different venue.  Should I then contact Club Orange on the 1st day, (and so on and on)?  Or the day of?  In other words, I need to give them a day's notice -- right?

29 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

A reminder that the free 8 COVID tests ends in May. I need to go get my last eight. I will bring several with me when I travel. 

DH picked up our free tests yesterday -- we had quite a pile but used a lot of them when we had Covid.  

1 hour ago, sterling2 said:

Hoping someone can tell me the date of the salmon recipe. I thought I saved it but alas . . . Thanks so much.

Here you go!

https://seasaltsavorings.com/balsamic-glazed-salmon-with-strawberry-relish/ 

• Like 15

So far, no rain today, but looking at the radar, we should get some rain.  There is some thunder in the area.  However, as usual, most of the rain will go west and east of us as it moves northeast.  I'm waiting until I actually see rain before I turn the sprinkler off.  

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning from sunny, but still pretty cool, Colorado. High will be low 50's although I would not be surprised if it got a bit warmer. It still dips below freezing at night. But the flowers are pushing up and the lawn service plans to turn on the sprinkler system in another week.

@kazuI know the problem of considering doggie adoptions. I swore I was going to stick with one dog and then I felt sooooo sorry for the little Chihuahua. So now I am facing the prospect of boarding 2 if i want to travel. Oh well, they are worth it.... and I just factor that into my budget and planning. Ivan looks very sweet but also very big. And on the topic of dogs .... I have my last BOD meeting for Humane Society on next Wednesday.... then the annual meeting on May 6 and then I am off the Board. Our new executive director seems very good but it will be interesting to see who steps up to do the work I have been doing. I will be glad not to have to drive out to the shelter several times a week and look forward to speeding up the house downsizing and clearance. 

I looked with real interest at the proposed pole to pole cruise for 2025. If I were a several years younger I would really love to do it.... but it just seems too long. Think I will stick will the Grand Australia which looks like an easier cruise for me. Oh decisions, decisions and no crystal ball to help me make them.

Take care all.

Susan

Susan, I know you are glad the end is in sight now.  After all your work on the board, you deserve a break.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Chinese is a hard language for non-Chinese to learn. Sometimes at work people confused me with someone who didn't look anything like me! I'll salute volunteers, who do so much. I've volunteered at the food bank and a women's shelter. I like the quote. Pass on the meal, the drink and wine.

I've been to NZ, and in fjords, so maybe I was in the National Park. 

Another sunny day here, going up to 85. I need to get the lawn mowed before it gets too hot. Busy, busy doing last minute stuff! I'll be getting up at o'dark thirty tomorrow, with a 6:15 AM pickup to the airport. I'll actually miss doing the Lists, but will keep up with you all as the internet onboard allows. Thanks for the well wishes!

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for our start today. Great photos.

@grapau27 Sorry you need hip replacement, and I understand wanting to wait. Same for me with the knees. I hope the physio can help.

@richwmn Thanks for today in history.

@kazu Sorry to hear about the wasted trip to the car dealership, and the time wasted as well. Good luck with your decision about Ivan. And I hope once the pins come out you'll feel better.

@marshhawk I'm glad the doctor's office will help you out with samples. Enjoy Bela Fleck tonight!

@smitty34877 Good luck to DH at his appointment. And it's good to hear that the aide for Tana seems to be working out.

@Cruzin Terri Woohoo on the work being completed in the house! 

@aliaschief I'm glad you're feeling better, and thanks for the port photos and memes.

@superoma You'll do great! Here's the info: Denise T (Nieuw Amsterdam 5/28 to 6/4)

@dobiemom Prayers for a good report at your post-op check.

@kochleffel I tried to get the booster on Tuesday as I'm over 65 and immunocompromised, but CVS said they were waiting on FDA approval as well as CVS approval, so I couldn't get it.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Reposted from March 2022

Heading to Milford Sound on the Statendam

1360710185_456-HeadingtoMilfordSound.thumb.JPG.e3ab5d3eafc04b93127e2a6528c7f270.JPG

462.thumb.JPG.3bcee60d6380569643c312cb4b008e61.JPG

Milford Sound Elephant Mountain

1878348120_465-MilfordSoundElephantMountain.thumb.JPG.05078eeb6a0fd5d51bcf4d203cee4215.JPG

Seals

468b.thumb.JPG.cd238e6f637bb2a4bc2710d9a15c5a61.JPG

Stirling Falls

1445565964_474-StirlingFalls.thumb.JPG.a77c8c098719222088cf554d25f583e8.JPG

479.thumb.JPG.264754fb19e7bd2fc34c0f4bceb897b2.JPG

Passengers who did a land trip returning to the ship

1118022707_498-Shipbringingpassengerswhodidalandstop.thumb.JPG.95cae5b0f981801edab61d39a5c7b475.JPG

Crouching Lion Mountain (right), Milford Sound

656964880_501-CrouchingLionMountain(r)MilfordSound.thumb.JPG.db8db46f902d681f072e73a64c35fce8.JPG

Vanessa, you have done a fantastic job with the lists, and you deserve a break with a wonderful cruise and three weeks in Germany.  Safe travels tomorrow.

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I’m back from my post-op appt. Everything looks great, no weeping, oozing. I was surprised that my eye was still dilated. My vision is a bit “fragmented” (my best description) and I think I can see the gas bubble. My next appt is May 1st. 

Yup. Ended up (kinda) sleeping in the chair. I tried taking a nap in bed yesterday but there was too much pressure on my cheeks.  I thought it was my big/heavy head. Tried again at bedtime after making some adjustments but I think the bed unit doesn’t work well since we have a waterbed. Only lasted 2.5 hours. Sleeping in the chair has its drawbacks also. My butt is too heavy. 😁 I’ll make more adjustments to both and see what happens. 

My GF and I had made 2 reservations for Vegas so even though the May trip is cancelled, we are still going in July. Elevation restriction should be over by then. 

Thank you again for your prayers and well wishes. 

I'm glad your post op visit went well, and there are no complications.  I hope you can find a comfortable position so you can get some sleep.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Captains noon hour report. The MS Eurodam has 47 cases of guest with Covid. Symptoms have been very mild but though not mandatory very suggestive to wear mask.

We did cancel our wine tasting for today which we were up in the air whether to do or not prior to announcement. We will elect to don mask when in public areas and movement around the ship.

The ships internet is so slow today. First time it’s been this bad during entire cruise.

Bruce

Bruce, that seems like a lot of cases.  I'm glad you will be wearing your masks when outside your cabin. I hope the internet improves.

1 hour ago, sterling2 said:

Welcome to the Daily.

53 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I had to laugh at your 'medical kit' prep --- I'm a retired RN & I gleaned all the 'must take' list of meds from various posters on here....stuffed them all in a nylon backpack & the only thing that came out of it (on our 35 day cruise) was Extra Strength Tylenol for our cabin steward who had a headache & stiff neck --- I gave him the bottle.

We also travel with a small "pharmacy" just in case.  We rarely have to use any of it though.

5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@superoma

Edi

I know we have someone from Australia who posts occasionally. Sadly I do know know his CC name. 

Thank you for taking the helm, I know you will take great care of our happenings. 

Ann

Ann and @superoma  Eva, the poster from Australia that I remember is @daisybertie.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@superoma

Edi

I know we have someone from Australia who posts occasionally. Sadly I do know know his CC name. 

Thank you for taking the helm, I know you will take great care of our happenings. 

Ann

Now that you mention it, I do remember. @daisybertiecomes to mind. The danger  of a small sample, 10 days, is that I will miss someone who mostly reads. Very happy to add another continent to the list.

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

So far, no rain today, but looking at the radar, we should get some rain.  There is some thunder in the area.  However, as usual, most of the rain will go west and east of us as it moves northeast.  I'm waiting until I actually see rain before I turn the sprinkler off.  

Susan, I know you are glad the end is in sight now.  After all your work on the board, you deserve a break.

Vanessa, you have done a fantastic job with the lists, and you deserve a break with a wonderful cruise and three weeks in Germany.  Safe travels tomorrow.

I'm glad your post op visit went well, and there are no complications.  I hope you can find a comfortable position so you can get some sleep.

Bruce, that seems like a lot of cases.  I'm glad you will be wearing your masks when outside your cabin. I hope the internet improves.

Welcome to the Daily.

We also travel with a small "pharmacy" just in case.  We rarely have to use any of it though.

Ann and @superoma  Eva, the poster from Australia that I remember is @daisybertie.

Lenda

Thanks lenda, it did come to me too just before I read your post!

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you so much!  I already contacted Ship Services and they made note of it, but it's so good to hear from someone who has been through it and knows how it works.  Question:  The first time I'll be putting this to the test will be a short 5-day Pacific Coastal starting May 1.  We have reservations the first night in the Tamarind, then the 2nd night will be dining in Club Orange.  Each night will be a different venue.  Should I then contact Club Orange on the 1st day, (and so on and on)?  Or the day of?  In other words, I need to give them a day's notice -- right?

DH picked up our free tests yesterday -- we had quite a pile but used a lot of them when we had Covid.  

Here you go!

https://seasaltsavorings.com/balsamic-glazed-salmon-with-strawberry-relish/ 

Yes, you do have to give them a days notice but since your 1st night is Tamarind - just tell your waiter you need a low salt diet & he will talk to the chef & probably come back with your choices.  CO isn't open for lunch so you'll need to hit them on your 1st night....it's really pretty easy except when everything that sounds good is what you can't have. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

@Cruising-along

I started out with stage 3b kidney disease 10yrs ago and now I am stage 3a. The waiters are very good about asking if you have allergies or restrictions. Usually I get the standard menu for the next day the night before. I circle what I would like and put "low sodium". If the menu isn't available yet they send it to my room.  You have to hand it back usually before 9am the next day. It does depend on the chef what you get. If I circle something with mashed potatoes I might get mashed potatoes or a baked potato. The first night I try to pick something that seems safe, not a lot of sauce for example. I once joined friends at their table and ordered BBQ spare ribs ( I had been really good all day), I didn't preorder but low sodium was on my file, so I got ribs but not BBQ'd. Ugh! The hard part for me is always lunch in the Lido. I usually have salad 🫤.  I hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I thought at some point we had someone from Quebec too but can;t be sure.

It's not much of a start but I did walk about 10 minutes today.  I still use a cane for most things out of the house and that;s a bit of a damper.

Roy

• Like 18

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

And both itineraries look VERY nice. As an added note, those currently on the World Cruise have until the 3rd to reserve a spot on either. Those who have already reserved a spot have until the 12th(?) to decide which one or they default to the World Cruise. General availability is May 24th(?). I hope those two dates are correct or at least close.

So, which one did you sign up for?

3 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Yup. Ended up (kinda) sleeping in the chair. I tried taking a nap in bed yesterday but there was too much pressure on my cheeks.  I thought it was my big/heavy head. Tried again at bedtime after making some adjustments but I think the bed unit doesn’t work well since we have a waterbed. Only lasted 2.5 hours. Sleeping in the chair has its drawbacks also. My butt is too heavy. 😁 I’ll make more adjustments to both and see what happens. 

Thank you again for your prayers and well wishes. 

Great news from your follow up visit.  I hope the sleeping arrangements settle out soon.

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I loved traveling with my friend, Alice, a retired physician.  I knew I didn't have to bring any of that stuff along because she carried a pharmacy with her.  If not, she knew where to find it.

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's not much of a start but I did walk about 10 minutes today.  I still use a cane for most things out of the house and that;s a bit of a damper.

Roy

Get yourself some trekking poles and then you'll look trendy!  Carry a backpack for anything you pick up along the way.  I use the trekking poles.

Surgery for the adrenal tumor is scheduled for May 24th.  The surgeon said it needed to come out based on size alone.  However, mine is functional and is sending out excess cortisol making life miserable at times.  The only down side to this surgery is that it requires an overnight stay.  Cha-Ching!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

I have friends who had only cruised with me and have had the privilege of having  access to my kit.  When they cruised on their own last summer I made up a mini kit for them. 

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Slow and steady wins the race!  Here’s hoping the milder temperatures will be a help to you.  I know you had to cancel some cruises but do you have anything else planned?  Katherine 

• Like 11

Good afternoon. Whew, just in from cutting the grass. It's 85 out, and fortunately cloudy now with a light breeze. It's still a chore. I had to stop about 2/3 of the way through for fluids, and my back was not happy. After a 15 minute break, I finished up. I really should look for someone to do the lawn, leaves and snow when I get back.

I also must be getting weaker, lol. My large suitcase that will be checked weighs 40 lbs, but feels much heavier. Interestingly, BFF said the same about his.

@dobiemom I'm glad to hear your good report. I can imagine that sleeping face down would be tough to do, even with the equipment that helps you adjust.

@aliaschief Sorry to hear about the Covid cases; that remains a concern for me. I plan to mask in the congregate areas, and in the airport and on the plane.

@durangoscots The end is in sight! Enjoy the extra time you'll have.

@cruising sister I should have gone elsewhere looking for the booster; I wanted to get it before this trip but I'll just have to hope for the best. And I too carry a pharmacy with me!

@sterling2 Welcome to the Daily and we hope to see you more often.

@rafinmd Yay! 10 minutes is better than no minutes. Just slow and steady progress.

@dfish It's good that you have a date for the adrenal surgery. Did the surgeon mention anything about needing steroids for a bit, as the other adrenal will have been suppressed by the excess cortisol?

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Yes, you do have to give them a days notice but since your 1st night is Tamarind - just tell your waiter you need a low salt diet & he will talk to the chef & probably come back with your choices.  CO isn't open for lunch so you'll need to hit them on your 1st night....it's really pretty easy except when everything that sounds good is what you can't have. 

Thank you!  I know Tamarind especially is good about asking about restrictions and making adjustments. Since this cruise is just a lazy, short cruise, I shouldn't have any problem being able to let them know the day before. 

45 minutes ago, Lcubed said:

@Cruising-along

I started out with stage 3b kidney disease 10yrs ago and now I am stage 3a. The waiters are very good about asking if you have allergies or restrictions. Usually I get the standard menu for the next day the night before. I circle what I would like and put "low sodium". If the menu isn't available yet they send it to my room.  You have to hand it back usually before 9am the next day. It does depend on the chef what you get. If I circle something with mashed potatoes I might get mashed potatoes or a baked potato. The first night I try to pick something that seems safe, not a lot of sauce for example. I once joined friends at their table and ordered BBQ spare ribs ( I had been really good all day), I didn't preorder but low sodium was on my file, so I got ribs but not BBQ'd. Ugh! The hard part for me is always lunch in the Lido. I usually have salad 🫤.  I hope you have a great cruise!

Thank you!  I always get salad in the Lido too, and dressing on the side.  Smart idea to watch out for the sauces.  Do you mind me asking how you improved your kidney function?  Mine was 3a, then last fall I was very sick with the flu for 2 weeks and became dehydrated.  That put me down into 3b, almost 4.  The doctor tweaked and discontinued some meds, told me to drink at least 64 oz of water/day, and watch sodium intake.  So far I've gotten it up now, almost back to 3a.

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy I think you're right, we do have someone in Quebec.  I can't think of her name though.

• Like 12

Several years ago in another forum, a retired RN posted a comprehensive list of medical things that she packed, including not only many different medicines, but also instruments and equipment that an average person might not even know how to use. She said that she often traveled with a large extended family and everyone expected her to take care of everything. 

I have no medical training, only long experience of hypochondria. I pack small amounts of most of the OTC medicines that I keep on hand at home, and when travel resumed in 2021 I added a digital thermometer and a pulse-oximeter.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you!  I know Tamarind especially is good about asking about restrictions and making adjustments. Since this cruise is just a lazy, short cruise, I shouldn't have any problem being able to let them know the day before. 

Thank you!  I always get salad in the Lido too, and dressing on the side.  Smart idea to watch out for the sauces.  Do you mind me asking how you improved your kidney function?  Mine was 3a, then last fall I was very sick with the flu for 2 weeks and became dehydrated.  That put me down into 3b, almost 4.  The doctor tweaked and discontinued some meds, told me to drink at least 64 oz of water/day, and watch sodium intake.  So far I've gotten it up now, almost back to 3a.

Roy I think you're right, we do have someone in Quebec.  I can't think of her name though.

44 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

This triggered a memory, too, of Quebec but no name comes to mind. The dangers of a small sample keep showing up! I think we may be closer to 75 people since I realized a few were missing because they were cruising

• Like 11

We have returned from the GI doc who referred us to a surgeon. The office facilitated an appointment for us for next Thursday and hopefully DH can be on the schedule soon. This surgery ,although laparoscopic, includes an overnight stay.

I am so tired and I am not the patient!

The patient is a little nervous, as am I, but we have gotten through much worse before. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11

12 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

Smitty34877’s DH’s GI appointment 

Dobiemom’s recovering from eye surgery 

Mr. Boston’s brother’s death 4/16

Cruising sister’s best friend’s son’s death 4/13

RMLincoln’s cousin’s DH’s death

Too many shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH’s sensitivity to glaucoma meds

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rafinmd’s good report from the Oncologist, Podiatrist and Pulmonologist

Marshhawk ok to cruise to Alaska

jl88, Welcome to the Daily!

Vict0riann’s week in Ireland

Safe travels Cruzn Single

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

1 Day for Oceansaway17 (Vision of the Seas 4/21 to 5/1)

2 Days for JazzyV (Celebrity Apex 4/22 to 5/7)

3 Days for Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas 4/23 to 5/1)

GTVCRUISER (NCL Jewel to 4/23), aliaschief & DWAliaschief (Eurodam to 4/28) Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), TiogaCruiser (Volendam to 5/2), Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam to 5/6), AV8rix (Volendam to 5/6), Dismomx5 (Volendam to 5/6), USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12), and Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) at sea

I have friends sailing on the Vision of the Seas tomorrow

• Like 7

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

And both itineraries look VERY nice. As an added note, those currently on the World Cruise have until the 3rd to reserve a spot on either. Those who have already reserved a spot have until the 12th(?) to decide which one or they default to the World Cruise. General availability is May 24th(?). I hope those two dates are correct or at least close.

Rich which one sounds tempting to you?

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Bruce

Bruce, sorry to hear about all the Covid cases.  I agree wearing a mask in public areas sounds like a good idea right about now.  Do you get off in San Diego on the 24th?

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

10 minutes today is more than yesterday I would guess, so good job!  Take it slowly and you will be surprised where you are a week or two from now.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

So, which one did you sign up for?

Great news from your follow up visit.  I hope the sleeping arrangements settle out soon.

I loved traveling with my friend, Alice, a retired physician.  I knew I didn't have to bring any of that stuff along because she carried a pharmacy with her.  If not, she knew where to find it.

Get yourself some trekking poles and then you'll look trendy!  Carry a backpack for anything you pick up along the way.  I use the trekking poles.

Surgery for the adrenal tumor is scheduled for May 24th.  The surgeon said it needed to come out based on size alone.  However, mine is functional and is sending out excess cortisol making life miserable at times.  The only down side to this surgery is that it requires an overnight stay.  Cha-Ching!

Glad to hear things are set in motion and you will have this taken care of.  Sorry about the overnight stay though.

40 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Whew, just in from cutting the grass. It's 85 out, and fortunately cloudy now with a light breeze. It's still a chore. I had to stop about 2/3 of the way through for fluids, and my back was not happy. After a 15 minute break, I finished up. I really should look for someone to do the lawn, leaves and snow when I get back.

I also must be getting weaker, lol. My large suitcase that will be checked weighs 40 lbs, but feels much heavier. Interestingly, BFF said the same about his.

@dobiemom I'm glad to hear your good report. I can imagine that sleeping face down would be tough to do, even with the equipment that helps you adjust.

@aliaschief Sorry to hear about the Covid cases; that remains a concern for me. I plan to mask in the congregate areas, and in the airport and on the plane.

@durangoscots The end is in sight! Enjoy the extra time you'll have.

@cruising sister I should have gone elsewhere looking for the booster; I wanted to get it before this trip but I'll just have to hope for the best. And I too carry a pharmacy with me!

@sterling2 Welcome to the Daily and we hope to see you more often.

@rafinmd Yay! 10 minutes is better than no minutes. Just slow and steady progress.

@dfish It's good that you have a date for the adrenal surgery. Did the surgeon mention anything about needing steroids for a bit, as the other adrenal will have been suppressed by the excess cortisol?

Sounds like you're almost ready.  We will miss you!  Maybe you could check in occasionally (if you can find wifi).

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We have returned from the GI doc who referred us to a surgeon. The office facilitated an appointment for us for next Thursday and hopefully DH can be on the schedule soon. This surgery ,although laparoscopic, includes an overnight stay.

I am so tired and I am not the patient!

The patient is a little nervous, as am I, but we have gotten through much worse before. 

Thanks for the update Terry.  At least it's laproscopic, but darn another overnight stay!  I hope everything goes well and he is feeling better very soon.

3 minutes ago, Himself said:

I love the Daily Fleet report even if I do noy comment.

Thank you Father!  That's so nice.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1