Asking for stateroom number at the MDR.

Gunther1

Curious: why have they always asked for our stateroom number when entering the main dining room....but not when eating at the lido, etc ?  I assume it's for tracking who eats where for forecasting needs for future food ordering ?

They have very scientific prediction data for how much food they will need to have and prepare...breaking it down even by nationality of pax on board and sailing areas. Not sure they would need cabin number to acquire that data, but perhaps.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

Curious: why have they always asked for our stateroom number when entering the main dining room...

I have speculated that they break down the allocation of HSC (Hotel Service Charge aka gratuities etc) and if you don't appear on MDR or a specialty restaurant, they assume that you ate in the Lido... but perhaps I give their IT too much credit! 

• Like 4

One advantage is that on the next night you eat in mdr , they know which table you sat at and who your servers were.   Many cruisers will tell the hostess that they want the same table they had last night.  He/she then punches in your cabin number and voila.

• Like 1

I have memories of being on the Prinsendam in 2009 and being asked our cabin number when we arrived for dinner on the several times we ate in The Lido. We had tablecloths, placed our order at the counter and it was brought to our table by a server.

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I have speculated that they break down the allocation of HSC (Hotel Service Charge aka gratuities etc) and if you don't appear on MDR or a specialty restaurant, they assume that you ate in the Lido.

I don't think that is why because the Crew Appreciation goes to a lot more people than the MDR waiters.  The Lido, laundry, front desk people, room stewards and more are all part of the pool.  I can't imagine that HAL breaks down which employee gets how much calculated down to the minutiae of what venue each guest had dinner in on any given day. If I remember correctly from reading the crew manual someone posted here within the last year that the Crew Appreciation funds are pooled amongst all the ships. 

Anyway, I think I'll just ask the MDR manager next time I'm on board!  "Why do you ask the cabin numbers in the MDR?"  😉

~Nancy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

We have never been asked for our cabin #, when we arrive at the MDR we just go to our table & sit down.

Never asked when we did fixed dining either.  They already know our cabin number since the tables are assigned.

However if I was doing anytime dining or eating in the MDR for lunch, I have always been asked for my cabin number in the MDR and in Club Orange at the beginning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

They used to ask in the Lido on our first several cruises (2008-2010) and I think they were still asking in 2013.

They should probably try that again.  So many people reserve a MDR fixed dining table and never use it, this spreads the staff thin as they have to be ready for them whether they show up or not.  

1 minute ago, whogo said:

I assume they take my cabin number to keep me from being seated with more worthy Neptune Suite guests.

HaHa.  We lowly folks have been seated next to Neptune suite guests numerous times and had great fun with our neighbors with remarking on the differences from everything to measuring fish portions to counting blueberries 

• Haha 3