The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday, January 3rd, 2024

kazu

Today is Festival of Sleep Day, J.R.R. Tolkien Day, and Memento Mori "Remember You Die" Day

Celebrate what you want to see more of -- Tom Peters

Meal Suggestion for today - Hungarian Goulash
Drink of the Day - Zombie Blood
Wine of the Day - Vandal Gonzo Resistance
Destination of the Day - Richards Bay, South Africa

Today in History:
1496 Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine
1521 Martin Luther is excommunicated by Pope Leo X from the Roman Catholic Church for failing to recant parts of his Ninety-five Theses which started the Protestant Reformation
1777 General George Washington's revolutionary army defeats British forces at Battle of Princeton, New Jersey
1977 Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs incorporate Apple Computer, Inc

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Ensenada, Baja California Mexico eta 01-05

Nieuw Amsterdam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 16:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante 08:00 - 17:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Chacabuco, Chile eta 01-04

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Key West, Florida eta 01-04

Volendam

San Diego, California 16:00 

Zaandam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Carnival private island 07:00 - 15:00 

Zuiderdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Port Arthur, Tasmania Australia, Hobart, Tasmania Australia 07:00 - 17:00 ,21:00 - 05 Jan 17:00 

Westerdam

Halong Bay, Vietnam, Ha Long City 08:00 - 21:00

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Thanks for the maps. 

Happy Hump Day.

We've got a chance of freezing drizzle this morning.  No snow on the ground so it could be very slippery. 

An interesting collection of days.  I think I need a good sleep.  Love Tolkien.  "Remember you die" Day is a time to reflect and think about how close we are to death and how we want to live.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  Not sure about the drink or wine.

I haven't been to  today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.

• Like 27

Good morning.

It is 42°F and raining here.

I slept in till 09.30am this morning so I must have known what day it was.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240103_113452.jpg

Screenshot_20240103_113521.jpg

Screenshot_20240103_113550.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Good morning friends!  I can report today that it's only 28 degrees here, and cloudy.  The high will only be 47 today and there is rain in the forecast for this afternoon or evening.  Thanks to Jacqui @kazu for posting Rich's @richwmn Fleet Report and Daily.  Thank you also to Roy @rafinmd for the maps of the ship locations.🚢

Festival of Sleep sounds like a good day to me.  Wow, there sure are plenty of days in history to celebrate on January 3rd.  Hurray for the "Steves" and General George Washington's army!  I think I'll skip the goulash, Zombie Blood, and Vandal Gonzo Resistance.  Sheesh!  Have fun reporting on those topics Debbie/Tina @dfish and @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.  And thank you!

Prayers offered up earlier this morning for our group here on the Care list, my DB and DGD, friends Scott and Bob, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held so many months, and the troops being shot at every day with rockets and drones.  Praying they all stay safe!  🙏  Three cheers for the Celebration list!  Hoping those celebrating things such as anniversaries and birthdays, and setting sail today have a wonderful time.  So many here going on the GW voyage and Grand Australia voyage!  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for maintaining the lists for us.❤️

Port today is Richards Bay, South Africa.  That was the port twice before on May 4, 2021 and January 20, 2022.  I have not been there before after repeated attempts the past few years but those bookings never held.  Here are the links for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

As I mentioned once before I've been spending my spare time working on my Christmas stocking project.  It literally takes hours a day to make any progress so I don't spend as much time here as I used to.  I hope you know I read all the posts but don't always get a chance to respond, and I care about all the goings on and health updates in your lives.  Thank you again Vanessa @JazzyV for your concise reports on us all to help us stay up to date. Hope you all have a great day!  Stay safe and well!

• Like 25

Good Wednesday morning. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I love sleep, the more the better. Cold and chilly today. Perhaps a snowstorm this weekend but that is still up in the air. 

Dentist appointment for this morning. Getting some fillings. Then it is off to the office for a couple of clients. 

Been eating much better and moving more. My blood sugar and weight are going down. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

280 days until my cruise. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.b060181fa6f42a08eaa0ae807bbcd107.png

• Like 24
  • Haha 5

Happy Hump Day everyone!

Nice collection of days!  Many of us would love to get more sleep and Tolkien’s birthday is worthy of celebration.  its good to remember our days are numbered and try to enjoy each day we have.  I like the quote and intrigued by the wine.  Wow!  What a lot of momentous days in history today!

IMG_1835.thumb.jpeg.cfcfa59fa4a62b15bf1faa57f80428cb.jpeg

Ivan’s vet visit was quick and easy 👍 They were in and out of the house very fast because somebody was a very good boy 😉. And it’s agreed he’s in great shape and doesn’t look his age.  What a difference a few months makes 😊 

IMG_1276.jpeg.4741ff6538e136333d485f2815afb121.jpeg

Quick post as I have physio this morning and need to take care of the good boy before I go.  Thanks Vanessa, Tina, Dixie & Ann for your dedication and everyone for their contributions.  Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grieving, health problems, pain, worries and those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1785.thumb.jpeg.8e2d49ca53b6568058a25ba34e09f870.jpeg

Have a good Wednesday all.

• Like 25
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s F R & D, Jacqui! @rafinmd Roy, thank you for the maps!  Yesterday was such a weird weather day. Sunny all day, but by mid-afternoon the wind had strengthened enough to make it really brisk outside. It is already 40 here this morning, so hope we can avoid some wind here. 

Vanessa, thank you for posting our care & celebration lists. You have really added on to what Roy started for us. Praying that you get some permanent pain relief soon. 

Haircut, Bindi walks, chores and HIIT class will keep me busy. 

IMG_2326.jpeg.bdaa88a88576af13c24089d21e978e35.jpeg

IMG_2321.jpeg.8365e4b2c67ac83d024960c4f3908dd8.jpeg

IMG_2323.jpeg.be8f47e73a0a97d34252fb1c4752206b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain and conditions. And those grieving the loss of a loved one.  Thinking of you & Tana, Terry!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Vandal Gonzo Resistance 2019

This Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc has a great many consumer fans, but it is a bit elusive in the states - at least in Florida. It sounds interesting. I do not believe I have encountered a wine fermented with oysters before. A few online distributors with prices starting at $27.99.

Distributor notes

Hand Harvested Sauvignon Blanc from two vineyards in the Southern Valleys of Marlborough. Whole bunch fermentation in original picking bins. Pressed off mid ferment and finished in old French barrels. Fermented with fresh New Zealand Bluff Oysters. 6 months aging on full yeast lees. Small batch pressed with oysters. Unfined and unfiltered.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 7

Antarctica January 3, 2017 2nd day En Route to South Georgia Island

On January 3, 2017 Seabourn Quest was making its way to South Georgia Island.  The weather this day was not as great as the day before.  We had to move our clocks forward one hour the night before therefore it was a slow start to our morning as everyone was dragging themselves into Seabourn Square for their morning cup of coffee.  It was a unique area where there is the bar area for coffee and snacks, tables and chairs for sitting to read or talk.  Computers and iPads were there for passenger use, bookshelves with reading material, boutique shops, future cruise sales desk, and a very unique guest services area. They had four desks in an enclosed area with guest services employees to answer our questions and make arrangements for tours, transfers or dining reservations.  There were windows on three sides of Seabourn Square so it was a great place to relax and watch for wildlife off the rear of the ship.  A typical view from my sofa in the rear corner.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Here was the weather outside.  We had met the front we were trying to avoid.  First one is taken from the Seabourn video.

The view out my balcony.

I really didn’t take a lot of photos on Jan. 3.  We took our clothing to be inspected mid-day.  As I said yesterday regulations said we had to insure that no materials, seed, or contamination was transported between Antarctica and South Georgia Island.  Everything we brought to be inspected passed and our names were crossed off the list.

Then we went shopping at the boutiques because we had a fair amount of on-board credit and weren’t spending it on the usual specialty dinners, shore excursions or alcohol.  Not even laundry because Seabourn Quest had 2 free laundry rooms.  The jewelry store had the most adorable diamond penguin pendants with a floating diamond in the middle of his tummy.  Because the floating diamond moves it caught the light and sparkled like crazy.  Perfect choice!  They had some with black and white diamonds, too.  The necklaces were very popular and they sold several of each type.  Here is what mine looks like.

Here is a photo of a penguin display outside a boutique on the ship.   A friend's husband sent me the photo so sorry if it’s somewhat fuzzy.  All the ladies were stitching and knitting so the husbands roamed the ship finding interesting things like this.

We were in a bird strike area and all windows had to be kept covered at night and lights were dimmed or off on the outside of the ship. Even the huge glass atrium with a ceiling of glass had special covers. Otherwise we confused the migrating birds and they landed on the ship and some can’t take off again.  You had to call the Expedition Team if you spotted a bird on your balcony so they could handle it. No birds there at that point, but they had seen hundreds land on the ship at one time.  This is a photo of Luciano from our Expedition Team who found a bird a week or so earlier and was showing it to nearby passengers before letting it go free.

The afternoon of Jan. 3rd I went to the Observation Bar which is located at the front of the ship and up high.  It’s like the Crow’s Nest – lots of windows and seating, a bar for beverages, and it even has a door on both port and starboard to step out onto the viewing deck right in front of the windows.    While there that afternoon it began to snow.  This was a treat because we hadn’t seen snow falling this cruise.  This was what a typical knitters and stitchers get together looked like.  You could have a Bailey’s Irish cream, wine, a cocktail or a glass of champagne whenever you liked.  With me are our bar staffer Serena (from Australia), Melinda and Joan.

We checked the dinner menu and decided to pass on the dining room that night.  We ordered from the room service menu instead.  When it was delivered he laid our table with a tablecloth, set out the condiments and poured our soups from little covered jugs which kept it warm.  We also had Caesar salad with grilled chicken, club sandwich with fries and cole slaw.  For dessert the delicious cookies we always enjoyed.  With a ‘fridge full of beverages we were all set.  So cozy especially with the drapes pulled to keep the light from shining out...(remember the birds!)

Tomorrow we will see how our first day in South Georgia Island played out especially with the current weather conditions

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie/Tina, Ann, and Dixie.  I'll definitely celebrate sleep, more ambivalent about the other 2 days.

I LOVE the Peters quote.

I have not been to Richards Bay.

A sad day for da Vinci but great days for the US, Protestants, and Apple lovers.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Lebanese Lamb Shank and Baked Alaska, my last dinner on MS Ryndam January 3, 2015.

Roy

• Like 26

Good morning everyone!  Our ships have arrived.  Eurodam behind the crane.  Thanks for our ship's photo this morning Roy.  Fewer ships in port today so we can see things better.  The new building really has put a crimp in port viewing.  We had a nice happy hour at the Boatyard for dinner last night.   Breakfast next.  Nancy

IMG_20240103_071124309.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Marshhawk’s DH having angioplasty of his right leg

Ger_77 seeing Orthopedics about torn rotator cuff

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Seagarsmoker with bronchitis

Dfish (Debbie) recovering from hernia repair surgery

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Cat in my Lap!

Bon Voyage Ottahand7!

Bon Voyage Cruising-along!

Bon Voyage Durangoscots!

Bon Voyage Cruising sister!

Bon Voyage Cruisercl!

Welcome Home Nickelpenny!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, on CPAP 

Aliaschief leaving for FLL

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC Jan 5 to June 9) 156d World Voyage

3 days for Suslor (Westerdam Jan 6 to Feb 3) 28d Philippines, Malaysia & Far East Collector + (Westerdam Feb 3 to Feb 17) 14d China & Japan

4 days for Kochleffel (Anthem of the Seas Jan 7 to Jan 18) 11d Southern Caribbean

St Pete Cruiser (Zaandam to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday), Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam to Jan 5, B2B, Western/Tropical Caribbean), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Haljo1935 (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer)), Ottahand7 (Eurodam Jan 3 to Feb 24) B2B2B2B2B Caribbean, Cruising-along (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, cruising sister (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Cruisercl (Volendam Jan 3 to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise) and Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11) 128d Grand World Voyage

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Goulash is a soup or stew of meat and vegetables seasoned with paprika and other spices. It is one of the national dishes of Hungary and a symbol of the country.

Authentic Hungarian Goulash (Gulyás) - The Daring Gourmet An authentic Hungarian Goulash recipe with a depth and richness of flavor.  Hungarian goulash is NOT made with ground beef or macaroni noodles. Goulash is kind of in between a soup and a stew.  Unlike some stews, Goulash is not overly packed full of beef and vegetables, it is a little more brothy.  But through the cooking process, the broth becomes a little thicker and very rich in flavor.  To achieve the ultimate flavor, the cooking method is important and quality, Hungarian paprika is essential.  Hungarians use very generous amounts of paprika, and that’s key.  For this size batch of Goulash, you want to use a full 1/4 cup of it.  It is recommended that you use genuine imported Hungarian paprika imported from Hungary.  There is no comparison; it is extraordinarily rich in flavor and has an exceptionally vibrant red color. 

djWbMRzWCDZvbOzjzn71507NbiW8wZfhlmuzI0Lj

Hungarian Goulash - Spend With Pennies This delicious dish is warm and comforting, perfect for a cold weather day. It is suggested that you serve it over noodles or with a side of bread to sop up any of the broth left in your bowl.

R4PrJ-jxc94NR2wiZEYtrX11vY4xzdFZvXVi-Hk-

Hungarian Goulash Recipe - BettyCrocker.com Is this the recipe your Mom used to make?  This version is served over a plate of freshly cooked egg noodles for a hearty comfort food.

Bh2cupjvm16-bMiKdA49g5q54-0lNKjfGQghW5DV

Sending you peace, health and all good wishes.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Posted (edited)

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  I'll be brief, we are off this morning for DH's infusion in midtown Atlanta.  We pass about 4 schools on the way, and it is the first day back to school after winter break.  Should be an interesting drive.

I did not let Bubbles off the porch yesterday, but he has his heater and a bed, and he got lots of treats that he ate.  The top of his heads wound looks better, the one under his mouth does not.  He howls when he sees another cat on the carport eating but since I figured out what the howls were about, I doubled down on the -you stay on the porch.

Its 31 and clear, and there has been some idea of snow being bantered about by the weatherman.  Since it will or may happen this afternoon, I am not worried.  There is frost on all the rooftops this morning, looks like winter!  I do wish for snow, I would enjoy it. 

Have a wonderful day everyone.  I know I need sleep, because I thought it said  Festival of Sheep. I love Tolkien, and Memento Mori is something the doctor on the ship talked to me about when I arrived so ill at the infirmary.  

image.png.5309c8a2a94b776fd29eb664a200d6e3.png

The sky just turned a vibrant PINK!  Mom always said red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.....

For my friends in the Northeast-enjoy your snow!

image.png.5495538678e37653bfa7e070ab9f6251.png

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 27
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone. 

An exciting day for those beginning Grand Voyages! Best wishes for a healthy and happy Voyage!

Today is our last day on the Zaandam. Half Moon Cay awaits as the tenders are already in full operation. 

We picked up a man last night on a disabled sailboat about 9pm in Bahamian waters. Our good deed for the day!

Enjoy your day!

20240103_071509.heic 20240103_071514.heic 20240103_072027.heic 20240103_072306.heic

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Just boarded. We are on our way.

Bon Voyage Bruce & Sue!  Have a great world cruise!

IMG_1671.jpeg.7254f7b4842f8627cc73182bd323f362.jpeg

13 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone!  Our ships have arrived.  Eurodam behind the crane. 

Bon Voyage!  Have a great cruise and wonderful time 🙂 

IMG_1669.jpeg.102a138b1709ccd11e9e69957333dd59.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and BON VOYAGE to those departing today:

@durangoscots, @Cruising-along, @cruising sister, @Cruisercl and 

@Cat in my lap!

Safe travels to @aliaschief

and  BON VOYAGE   To @ottahand7 also.

It will be a little warmer today, maybe the mid forties with less wind. The weather person is all excited about a snow storm for the weekend. We shall see.

Our next door neighbor growing up taught me how to make Hungarian Goulash and it is exactly like the first recipe. We thought we were so exotic back then as it was very different from the usual fifties fare.

I would love a sleep festival. I will think about the other two days and have not been to the port. Wow on all the many things that occurred today in history.

We had a good day here yesterday and I fell asleep on the couch while sitting up in the middle of the afternoon. I guess I relaxed.

Have a great day everyone 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from Cork.  This morning was 'crisp' with a slight ground frost and now at 1.30pm it is raining (sigh) and 8°C/46°F.  

Bon Voyage to those who are embarking today.  I will be watching the PE cam through green (with jealousy) eyes.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 27

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Antarctica January 3, 2017 2nd day En Route to South Georgia Island

On January 3, 2017 Seabourn Quest was making its way to South Georgia Island.  The weather this day was not as great as the day before.  We had to move our clocks forward one hour the night before therefore it was a slow start to our morning as everyone was dragging themselves into Seabourn Square for their morning cup of coffee.  It was a unique area where there is the bar area for coffee and snacks, tables and chairs for sitting to read or talk.  Computers and iPads were there for passenger use, bookshelves with reading material, boutique shops, future cruise sales desk, and a very unique guest services area. They had four desks in an enclosed area with guest services employees to answer our questions and make arrangements for tours, transfers or dining reservations.  There were windows on three sides of Seabourn Square so it was a great place to relax and watch for wildlife off the rear of the ship.  A typical view from my sofa in the rear corner.

Here was the weather outside.  We had met the front we were trying to avoid.  First one is taken from the Seabourn video.

The view out my balcony.

I really didn’t take a lot of photos on Jan. 3.  We took our clothing to be inspected mid-day.  As I said yesterday regulations said we had to insure that no materials, seed, or contamination was transported between Antarctica and South Georgia Island.  Everything we brought to be inspected passed and our names were crossed off the list.

Then we went shopping at the boutiques because we had a fair amount of on-board credit and weren’t spending it on the usual specialty dinners, shore excursions or alcohol.  Not even laundry because Seabourn Quest had 2 free laundry rooms.  The jewelry store had the most adorable diamond penguin pendants with a floating diamond in the middle of his tummy.  Because the floating diamond moves it caught the light and sparkled like crazy.  Perfect choice!  They had some with black and white diamonds, too.  The necklaces were very popular and they sold several of each type.  Here is what mine looks like.

Here is a photo of a penguin display outside a boutique on the ship.   A friend's husband sent me the photo so sorry if it’s somewhat fuzzy.  All the ladies were stitching and knitting so the husbands roamed the ship finding interesting things like this.

We were in a bird strike area and all windows had to be kept covered at night and lights were dimmed or off on the outside of the ship. Even the huge glass atrium with a ceiling of glass had special covers. Otherwise we confused the migrating birds and they landed on the ship and some can’t take off again.  You had to call the Expedition Team if you spotted a bird on your balcony so they could handle it. No birds there at that point, but they had seen hundreds land on the ship at one time.  This is a photo of Luciano from our Expedition Team who found a bird a week or so earlier and was showing it to nearby passengers before letting it go free.

The afternoon of Jan. 3rd I went to the Observation Bar which is located at the front of the ship and up high.  It’s like the Crow’s Nest – lots of windows and seating, a bar for beverages, and it even has a door on both port and starboard to step out onto the viewing deck right in front of the windows.    While there that afternoon it began to snow.  This was a treat because we hadn’t seen snow falling this cruise.  This was what a typical knitters and stitchers get together looked like.  You could have a Bailey’s Irish cream, wine, a cocktail or a glass of champagne whenever you liked.  With me are our bar staffer Serena (from Australia), Melinda and Joan.

We checked the dinner menu and decided to pass on the dining room that night.  We ordered from the room service menu instead.  When it was delivered he laid our table with a tablecloth, set out the condiments and poured our soups from little covered jugs which kept it warm.  We also had Caesar salad with grilled chicken, club sandwich with fries and cole slaw.  For dessert the delicious cookies we always enjoyed.  With a ‘fridge full of beverages we were all set.  So cozy especially with the drapes pulled to keep the light from shining out...(remember the birds!)

Tomorrow we will see how our first day in South Georgia Island played out especially with the current weather conditions

I absolutely love reading your posts!  They are informative without being teachy & give me a real flavor of what you're experiencing.  Please keep it up!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1