The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 22nd, 2024

kazu

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  Its 27 degrees, and the computer days mostly sunny, I haven't looked yet, because here, it is still mostly dark.

I like cauliflower, much more than broccoli, but I do like them.  Especially since @dfish introduced me to roasting my veggies.

Today is walk the dog early, take Tazi cat to vet, and then fix lunch and go to work.   I got in trouble at work because I didnt use the right method of filling out the new work "time clock" forms on Saturday.  Oh well. 

DH helped me load my Rome to Home pictures yesterday.  So I will add a photo a day, with a little bit of commentary  if you guys dont mind.  I know it's months late, but since we were in all weekend, hiding from the cold, I thought, well it's now or never.

image.png.bdcb3de669f33c513096508b845effcc.png

from October-

We have arrived in Rome.  We stayed at the Hotel Nazionale-highly recommended by several Dailyites.  We were not disappointed.  We were on the first floor, (up one level) and had a room in the back.  Across from us was a room where security hung out and kept watch over the government building in the same piazza.  There was always a sign on the door that said "we were unable to clean your room" .  At first I thought it was a honeymooning couple, but there was never any food delivered.  LOL   To the right of the hotel (facing hotel) if you walked down the street was Rome's most popular Gelato place.  There was always a line to get Gelato. We found if we went in and sat down,  we got a waiter, and great service.  So why stand in line?  I have no idea.

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.c7ebbd5771b97e186b79dd8332df4c74.JPG

Dh loved the pistachio and chocolate combo,  I am more of a pastry and coffee person.  But on our last night in Rome, my dinner was Cream Vanilla with Black Cherry Gelato.

IMG_0578.thumb.JPG.262f96c6fca86b62e321af423b09f0ae.JPG

If it's ok with you, I will add a little each day.  

Hugs to you all!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone!

It is much warmer here in mid-Michigan with a temperature of 22F and projected high of 32F.  It will be nice to get above freezing this week.  

Our neighborhood party was a smashing success.  Previous owners of our house came to the party and were thrilled with what we've done with it.  They didn't know the people they sold it to, but they had heard stories.  They are now living at the same retirement village where our friend Ellamary moved, so we now have two visits to make.  I also found out from one of my neighbors that Senior Services will come out and install handrails on the porch free of charge.  We will be calling them when we get back from Hawaii.  Now that the party is over, the suitcases are coming out!  

Today's side dish is an easy and flavorful way to make vegetables.  I think it is more of a technique than a recipe.  I pan roast most vegetables including brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus.  If I liked carrots I'd roast them as well.  I bet it would give them a great flavor.  Roasting brings out the natural sugars.  This first one is a basic recipe.  I often put a piece of fish or chicken on the sheet pan and roast that along side for a complete meal.   https://www.skinnytaste.com/roasted-broccoli-and-cauliflower/

roastedbroccoliandcauliflower1.thumb.jpg.4dd6bb48a84fee0f4ab942b87b023ffa.jpg

This next one uses some Italian seasoning on the vegetables.  You can use whatever kind of seasoning you like on them.  Taco seasoning is good as is ranch seasoning. I used to sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on mine, but Sue won't eat it.  So, I have switched to garlic powder or onion powder.    https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7870627/roasted-broccoli-cauliflower/

roastedbroccoliandcauliflower2.thumb.jpg.5a18da9e2327e9a50171d63c65585c83.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 16

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

My orchid is in bloom.

R0010313.JPG

Gorgeous!

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Tomorrow we will celebrate Sue’s birthday as we sail at 15 knot toward Easter Island.

Wishing Sue a very happy birthday and celebration tomorrow.

IMG_3615.jpeg.decd2c1e6bfd6a91dbe2845f5bdb7505.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

image.png.56e2fa76bfef177177f633e3a01bc780.png

Good morning Dailyites on a 58 degree, rainy, windy morning. 

Thanks to our faithful posters. You are truly appreciated. 

Sandi, I remember your pictures from the last time you posted them. I really enjoyed these. Thank you. And a big Happy Birthday to Tyler!

I have said my prayers this morning to all on the Daily prayer list, my book, and for Sandi's family and friends. I have a neighbor/friend who has been sick (flu) since the holiday's. She suffers from asthma and is on several different inhalers. Another friend is waiting in Utah for 3 weeks while having dental surgery. Our dear friend Ron is suffering from leg and back pain for about a month. He's had Xray and CT, now going in Wednesday for an MRI. He is normally a tough dude, but this has wiped him out. Please pray for them.

I just spoke to a friend in Idaho yesterday who lost her husband at Thanksgiving. She talks to Joe and celebrates his life every day.

Community management needs a shout out. It's hard work. 

image.png.f1a484492795649f6af10465dfa5322b.png

Wishing everyone a blessed day. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning. It will be 30 later and that sounds good to me. I like the quote and have not been to the port. I often roast the vegetables here and would add some chicken to the sheet pan the way Debbie does.

@dfish, the party sounded great and I know you and Sue will love your Hawaii cruise.

Happy Birthday to Tyler! Sandi ,@StLouisCruisers. Thanks for the pictures as well.

Thanks to all for the Daily

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm all for better business communications - it makes the customers much happier if we all understand what's going on.  A celebration of life means someone is no longer with us, and although it's supposed to be a celebration, I always leave them feeling more sad than happy.  Community managers can be very helpful.

It's a cool -16C (3F) out there this morning, but that's not stopping DH and his son from going to the son's acreage.  His son always likes to make a trip out there every couple of weeks to check on things, as it's about 1.5 hours from the city and the area has had many break-ins over the years.  Hopefully this time he remembers to change the batteries in the trail cameras he has set up around the property which act as security devices.

@atexsixI'm sorry to hear your Dad's not doing well; I hope the hospice will be able to keep him comfortable and give you some respite as well knowing he's being cared for.

I'm sure many of you remember at the beginning of covid when a lady joined the HAL forums to figure out how to get her elderly mother and her boyfriend from San Diego back to Florida, and a wonderful knight in shining armor @Copper10-8 drove from his home to meet them and take them to the airport. The daughter drove from Canada to Florida to be there when they arrived and to help them get settled back into their homes.  I know we were all cheering them on from the beginning and were so relieved to know everything turned out alright.  I've stayed in touch with Deb (the daughter) via FB and X, and  learned yesterday that sadly, Deb passed away a couple of days ago from stupid, stupid, stupid cancer.  Sad.

I'm going to pass on the drink of the day, would like to try the wine, even though it's pricey, and won't likely be making the menu suggestion as DH doesn't care for either broccoli or cauliflower.  I'm sure I could make it with other vegetables though, so will keep the recipes in the back of my mind for future use.  We're still in the cold of winter, so I'm putting together a small batch of chili that will simmer on the stove throughout the day and we can enjoy it with some crusty bread at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with something to celebrate today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 19

Good morning everyone.  It’s somewhat warmer here this morning with bright blue skies.  Three important days to recognize.  Hats off to our community managers who keep things moving in an organized way.  Better business communication is essential, now could businesses do something about their product instructions?  I’ll try the meal alongside a protein this evening.  I’ll pass on the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list, hoping they help ease their suffering.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events. 🥂

• Like 31

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold 15 degrees morning it’s getting to be above freezing the rest of the week. By Friday it’s supposed to be near 60. 
Steve is doing better and he can get out of the lift chair with someone watching. His daughter and 5 year old grandson are on daddy and poppie watching duty while mom needs a break.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Thanks for the update on your friend Steve.  It's good to hear he's made some progress with that lift chair and family is nearby in case he needs assistance.  

58 minutes ago, superoma said:

Good morning all! Well, our Lions roared yesterday and they move up one step closer to the super bowl. Been a long time!

another cold day today but we will start to warm above freezing this week and get rain instead of snow. Of course that means possible flooding in low lying areas since this ground is frozen solid. We are ok but have my fingers crossed for my sister.

prayers for those needing them and a shout out to all celebrating or cruising. Have a great day everyone.

Congratulations to the Detroit Lions and their fans on the win!

And congrats to Nancy's @ottahand7's Ravens!

57 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Cold here in NJ and colder where we’re headed in Maryland!  But warming up and the roads should be ok. Finishing packing this morning and foods. Checkin isn’t till 4pm. It’s 4-5 hrs drive. 
Thanks all for your support!  I’m praying for Amazing!  

We were in Ushuaia! 2013 on Carnival Splendor as they repositioned her from CA to NY before the new PC locks. They call it Fine del Mundo End of the World. It was a very special trip, and a picturesque port!  Good memories. 

Have a great day all!  I’ll post later. Maureen 

Please drive safely today Maureen.  Let us know when you've arrived.  And good luck tomorrow with Richard's appointment.

41 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  Its 27 degrees, and the computer days mostly sunny, I haven't looked yet, because here, it is still mostly dark.

I like cauliflower, much more than broccoli, but I do like them.  Especially since @dfish introduced me to roasting my veggies.

Today is walk the dog early, take Tazi cat to vet, and then fix lunch and go to work.   I got in trouble at work because I didnt use the right method of filling out the new work "time clock" forms on Saturday.  Oh well. 

DH helped me load my Rome to Home pictures yesterday.  So I will add a photo a day, with a little bit of commentary  if you guys dont mind.  I know it's months late, but since we were in all weekend, hiding from the cold, I thought, well it's now or never.

image.png.bdcb3de669f33c513096508b845effcc.png

from October-

We have arrived in Rome.  We stayed at the Hotel Nazionale-highly recommended by several Dailyites.  We were not disappointed.  We were on the first floor, (up one level) and had a room in the back.  Across from us was a room where security hung out and kept watch over the government building in the same piazza.  There was always a sign on the door that said "we were unable to clean your room" .  At first I thought it was a honeymooning couple, but there was never any food delivered.  LOL   To the right of the hotel (facing hotel) if you walked down the street was Rome's most popular Gelato place.  There was always a line to get Gelato. We found if we went in and sat down,  we got a waiter, and great service.  So why stand in line?  I have no idea.

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.c7ebbd5771b97e186b79dd8332df4c74.JPG

Dh loved the pistachio and chocolate combo,  I am more of a pastry and coffee person.  But on our last night in Rome, my dinner was Cream Vanilla with Black Cherry Gelato.

IMG_0578.thumb.JPG.262f96c6fca86b62e321af423b09f0ae.JPG

If it's ok with you, I will add a little each day.  

Hugs to you all!

I'm good with your trip photos each day!  We can all enjoy Rome through your eyes.  The gelato looks amazing.

39 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is much warmer here in mid-Michigan with a temperature of 22F and projected high of 32F.  It will be nice to get above freezing this week.  

Our neighborhood party was a smashing success.  Previous owners of our house came to the party and were thrilled with what we've done with it.  They didn't know the people they sold it to, but they had heard stories.  They are now living at the same retirement village where our friend Ellamary moved, so we now have two visits to make.  I also found out from one of my neighbors that Senior Services will come out and install handrails on the porch free of charge.  We will be calling them when we get back from Hawaii.  Now that the party is over, the suitcases are coming out!  

Today's side dish is an easy and flavorful way to make vegetables.  I think it is more of a technique than a recipe.  I pan roast most vegetables including brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus.  If I liked carrots I'd roast them as well.  I bet it would give them a great flavor.  Roasting brings out the natural sugars.  This first one is a basic recipe.  I often put a piece of fish or chicken on the sheet pan and roast that along side for a complete meal.   https://www.skinnytaste.com/roasted-broccoli-and-cauliflower/

roastedbroccoliandcauliflower1.thumb.jpg.4dd6bb48a84fee0f4ab942b87b023ffa.jpg

This next one uses some Italian seasoning on the vegetables.  You can use whatever kind of seasoning you like on them.  Taco seasoning is good as is ranch seasoning. I used to sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on mine, but Sue won't eat it.  So, I have switched to garlic powder or onion powder.    https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7870627/roasted-broccoli-cauliflower/

roastedbroccoliandcauliflower2.thumb.jpg.5a18da9e2327e9a50171d63c65585c83.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

The neighborhood party sounded fun. 🎉🍷 Time to get busy on that packing!

34 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Would go back in a heartbeat, especially if it meant that I was headed back to Antarctica !

I would too!

25 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

image.png.56e2fa76bfef177177f633e3a01bc780.png

Good morning Dailyites on a 58 degree, rainy, windy morning. 

Thanks to our faithful posters. You are truly appreciated. 

Sandi, I remember your pictures from the last time you posted them. I really enjoyed these. Thank you. And a big Happy Birthday to Tyler!

I have said my prayers this morning to all on the Daily prayer list, my book, and for Sandi's family and friends. I have a neighbor/friend who has been sick (flu) since the holiday's. She suffers from asthma and is on several different inhalers. Another friend is waiting in Utah for 3 weeks while having dental surgery. Our dear friend Ron is suffering from leg and back pain for about a month. He's had Xray and CT, now going in Wednesday for an MRI. He is normally a tough dude, but this has wiped him out. Please pray for them.

I just spoke to a friend in Idaho yesterday who lost her husband at Thanksgiving. She talks to Joe and celebrates his life every day.

Community management needs a shout out. It's hard work. 

image.png.f1a484492795649f6af10465dfa5322b.png

Wishing everyone a blessed day. 

Thank you for the good wishes for Tyler and the prayers for family.  Seems only fitting your friends be on my list too.  The bad news seems to come in bunches.  I'm sorry to hear your friend in Idaho lost her DH Joe at Thanksgiving, only 2 short months ago.  Prayers for her too.🙏

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It will be 30 later and that sounds good to me. I like the quote and have not been to the port. I often roast the vegetables here and would add some chicken to the sheet pan the way Debbie does.

@dfish, the party sounded great and I know you and Sue will love your Hawaii cruise.

Happy Birthday to Tyler! Sandi ,@StLouisCruisers. Thanks for the pictures as well.

Thanks to all for the Daily

Thank you Terry!  

29 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm all for better business communications - it makes the customers much happier if we all understand what's going on.  A celebration of life means someone is no longer with us, and although it's supposed to be a celebration, I always leave them feeling more sad than happy.  Community managers can be very helpful.

It's a cool -16C (3F) out there this morning, but that's not stopping DH and his son from going to the son's acreage.  His son always likes to make a trip out there every couple of weeks to check on things, as it's about 1.5 hours from the city and the area has had many break-ins over the years.  Hopefully this time he remembers to change the batteries in the trail cameras he has set up around the property which act as security devices.

@atexsixI'm sorry to hear your Dad's not doing well; I hope the hospice will be able to keep him comfortable and give you some respite as well knowing he's being cared for.

I'm sure many of you remember at the beginning of covid when a lady joined the HAL forums to figure out how to get her elderly mother and her boyfriend from San Diego back to Florida, and a wonderful knight in shining armor @Copper10-8 drove from his home to meet them and take them to the airport. The daughter drove from Canada to Florida to be there when they arrived and to help them get settled back into their homes.  I know we were all cheering them on from the beginning and were so relieved to know everything turned out alright.  I've stayed in touch with Deb (the daughter) via FB and X, and  learned yesterday that sadly, Deb passed away a couple of days ago from stupid, stupid, stupid cancer.  Sad.

I'm going to pass on the drink of the day, would like to try the wine, even though it's pricey, and won't likely be making the menu suggestion as DH doesn't care for either broccoli or cauliflower.  I'm sure I could make it with other vegetables though, so will keep the recipes in the back of my mind for future use.  We're still in the cold of winter, so I'm putting together a small batch of chili that will simmer on the stove throughout the day and we can enjoy it with some crusty bread at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with something to celebrate today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, what a terrible shame that Deb lost her battle with cancer.  I agree, such an awful disease and not a good way to go.  Those days back in 2020 were so fraught with fear, and the story of her parents' return home was riveting.  Thanks for letting us know.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Happy Monday and thank you very much for the port pictures of Ushuaia.  The wonderful port pictures are the reason I started following the Daily.

@kazuis correct…I am excited about my upcoming cruise.  Thank you @JazzyV for my mention on your amazing “care” list.

We have a private tour to Tierra Del Fuego National Park planned in Ushuaia with AlmaCalma.

During this tour you will visit the main attractions of the park (Zaratiegui Bay, End of the World Post Office, Acigami Lake, End of the Panamerican Highway and Lapataia Bay) and will enjoy some easy walks while learning from your professional tour guide about nature and history. Also on the way to the park you will learn the history of this iconic city and will enjoy some nice views.

• Like 30

3 important days; some weeks I wish for better business communication everyday 🙄

Pass on the meal (cauliflower) the drink, not been to the port.

Thrilled to see a temp of 36° and even though it feels like 30°, that's much better than it's been. Lots of rain ahead, so the warmer temperatures are nice to see.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240122_090803.thumb.jpg.2e71d1af393c1070b030f821b55a29f5.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning from another overcast day in Quartzsite.  It is 52F with a predicted high of 59F.  There is a 4mph breeze, and it will reach 12mph this afternoon.  We did not get more rain yesterday or last night.  The prediction is for rain to begin about 11am and last until the early hours tomorrow, then more rain mid-day.  We'll see what happens, but often rain will go either north or south of La Paz Valley.  On today's agenda is working on our cruise plans, and gathering things to take with us.  Last night, we decided to add the HIA package, so now it's time to find a couple of tours that will used the excursion credit and book a couple more specialty restaurant reservations.

I'm all for Better Business Communication day and Community Manager Appreciation day.  I hope Celebration of Life Day means for us to celebrate our lives and not the life of someone who has died.

The meal would be good as a side dish, and I bet the vegetables could be roasted in the air fryer, too.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine might be nice if it wasn't a tad bit pricey.

A very good quote from Martin Luther King, Jr.

We have been to Ushuaia twice, but the first time was in the pre-digital age.  I'll retrieve my pictures in a few minutes.

We have another interesting day in British history.

I'm sorry the Buccaneer's fans suffered a loss, but I'm glad the Lions won yesterday.  It's been a long time for them to have a winning team.  For Ravens fans, congratulations on their win.

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you for providing our maps everyday.  Good luck with your oncologist appointment today and your physical tomorrow.

@richwmn  Rich, I'm glad you are enjoying your cruise.  We will keep the Daily going in your absence since it's an important part of our days.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, please wish your grandson Tyler a VERY HAPPY 26TH BIRTHDAY for us.

@puppycanducruise  A very pretty orchid.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad you are on the mend.  I hope John just has a cough and is not getting what you had.

@1ANGELCAT  Thanks for the good news that Steve is doing better and can get out of the lift chair with someone watching.  I'm happy that his daughter and grandson will be helping so his wife can get a break.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, safe travels today.  Positive thoughts for a successful surgery and a quick recovery for your DH.  I hope this surgery means he can cut back or cut out the eye drops.

@marshhawk  Annie, thanks for the pictures and narrative of your stay in Rome.  I'm looking forward to the next installment.

@dfish  Debbie, fyi, roasting carrots gives them a wonderful flavor, and is easy to do in an air fryer.  I'm glad the party was a success.

@ger_77  Gerry, thanks for the update on Deb, and I was sorry to read she had lost her battle with cancer.  I've been wondering since 2020 when Deb returned to Canada, how her parents are doing.  Do you have any news about them?

@Mr. Boston  I agree with you about product instructions.  Lately, the instructions for any assembly are only pictures.

@0106  Tina, you will enjoy Ushuaia and the area your excursion visits.

347255728_215034191382887_3786307487700645480_n.thumb.jpg.24dda9aba12e542b9265bdbe032a95fd.jpg

362303818_667577705408701_9046466371496475969_n.jpg.ff2fef812cd591d3fd47087049fd37b5.jpg

363297563_666934938791205_6419320141593373516_n.thumb.jpg.e384b07df1d0e21ee6c20fda5dff82ac.jpg

363352269_10161332764457769_679851734209979588_n.jpg.51e19ab83abd2e5f1a510a2e77fd6338.jpg

363367828_1016007933149788_4898106471825426427_n.jpg.d5429603c519e0767f9674e5880a8abe.jpg

363379845_590625019948483_4804239880072277078_n.jpg.33433e9712d8a7a2073e7d82ac0674a0.jpg

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 21

We have been to Ushuaia twice.  The first time was in 1999 on Noordam III.  The second time was in 2015 on Ruby Princess.  We walked around town in the morning and took the tour to the end of the road (the Pan American Highway.).  By the time it reached the end in South America, it was a well-maintained dirt road which is how it begins in Alaska.

These first pictures are from our morning walk. 

DSC02708.thumb.JPG.3fb34df7b2c74d3bad52c2f1a61acddb.JPG

DSC02709.thumb.JPG.8d74197732cf069adb17d0ab7425f2b8.JPG

DSC02711.thumb.JPG.e51219bf7c3f8251d30bcca1a96feec8.JPG

DSC02714.thumb.JPG.b08af7dc6ccf08fb381f4cca719b2aaf.JPG

DSC02716.thumb.JPG.9595fbfff4d39df14be50027e748414b.JPG

DSC02718.thumb.JPG.6729453e84e73cd2053a6bf402f95bca.JPG

These were taken when we returned from our tour in the afternoon when the weather was better.  The second one was taken from our aft balcony as we sailed toward Punta Arenas, Chile.

DSC02772.thumb.JPG.2746518cbc20e33f449f3bb302dad9fd.JPG

DSC02776.thumb.JPG.28a2eef6f2becd802086d0743f62ceb7.JPG

The view from the end of the road and the road looking back from the shoreline.

DSC02723.thumb.JPG.3e3a496ceb99f9f6d899bd42a030ea63.JPG

DSC02724.thumb.JPG.c9af91edf86b227d620fc203c090223e.JPG

DSC02728.thumb.JPG.bd082376b07c2abd9e440333a2333ff0.JPG

Another picture of the sign that shows the distance to Alaska on the northern end in Prudhoe Bay.

DSC02755.thumb.JPG.2945803145e6231f17307303c9873f7f.JPG

Our next stop was the headquarters of the Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego.

DSC02769.thumb.JPG.e9bdef0afd4c9baf2c7794c830bee4a5.JPG

DSC02766.thumb.JPG.37d826ac34f055fe81400e928ec80653.JPG

One of the best views we had that day.

DSC02767.thumb.JPG.691c286d82e2e62f74d60e945e9a8570.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

GOod morning from a rainy Pacific Northwest, 

I see grass, I see road, and my outdoor thermometer is above freezing! I parked the car last Monday and it hasn't moved since so it's off to water aerobics today (yay!) and errands. I haven't had a lot of human interaction the last week so it will be nice to get out and actually talk to people. 

Have a good day! 

Karen

• Like 29

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry

Thank you for letting us know about Deb. I remember that ordeal as if it were yesterday.  And how wonderful John was to her Mom & Stepdad who had to be evacuated from Australia when their World Cruise came to a sudden halt. 

• Like 27

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oldest DGS Tyler is 26 today and I wish him the best!  Having three grandkids with January birthdays can keep a person busy and broke! 

A very happy birthday to Tyler 🙂 

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Vanessa you can remove me from the care list.  I am pretty much back on the mend and ending my antibiotic today.  Now John is coughing.  

I am really glad to hear you have improved 🙂. Yikes on John coughing 😔. I hope he is ok.

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Steve is doing better and he can get out of the lift chair with someone watching. His daughter and 5 year old grandson are on daddy and poppie watching duty while mom needs a break.

that is great news 🙂 

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Cold here in NJ and colder where we’re headed in Maryland!  But warming up and the roads should be ok. Finishing packing this morning and foods. Checkin isn’t till 4pm. It’s 4-5 hrs drive. 

Safe travels, Maureen.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Business Communication Day reminds me of when I taught business English at Katharine Gibbs, the white-glove secretarial school, in Boston. By the time I taught there, white gloves were no longer required, but I was required to follow, and enforce, the school's dress code. Connecting with yesterday's special day, he told me that I had to wear socks, but they could be any color or pattern.

I often roast broccoli or cauliflower, and the two together are my favorite vegetable dish for the Passover seder because they don't have to be cooked at the last minute. Today's cocktail doesn't call itself a martini, but it is one, just with an onion instead of an olive. So there, pseudotinis! For a red blend, I'll again suggest Fulkerson's, made with the Noiret grape, developed at Cornell. I haven't been to Ushaia.

Writing about the cocktail and the wine brings to mind that Saturday is the last day I'll be able to drink any alcohol for about three weeks, and today is the last day I can take ibuprofen.

I still have a productive cough, but I'm no longer coughing uncontrollably. Yesterday, in a Zoom meeting, I typed everything I needed to say into the chat pane, because I couldn't finish a sentence without coughing.

The area west of here, south of Buffalo, has frequent forecasts for bands of snow.

snowband.jpg.e84b05faa51618be2d0281d55355c9b8.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 15

Thank you to all the people that wrote, it means a lot:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

@kazu

@dfish

@JazzyV We're starting to have food delivered because I don't have time to grocery shop and cook. Fortunately we now qualify for a home health aide and because he's hospice we don't have to wait as long, it' just a matter of getting the paperwork done.

@ottahand7

@quilty964

@Seasick Sailor Yes, Dad was in the army, drafted during the Vietnam era, but because he never went to Vietnam he doesn't get any pension, thanks Uncle Sam!  They keep changing the date ranges on this, but it'll probably be too late for him by the time it's expanded.

@luvteaching Sadly, he doesn't remember that Hawaii cruise.  It's so sad, all of our beautiful memories are now gone.  Keep taking those fantastic photos people, some day it might be all you have!

@aliaschief

@smitty34877

@rafinmd

@maryandmarge

@dobiemom Now that he's officially hospice we can qualify for that program, in the past we didn't.

@Cruzin Terri Dad was recently diagnosed with Mild Cog Impairment, but I think there's some early dementia in the mix as well, those tests only measure a fraction of what I see 24/7.  

@StLouisCruisers

@bennybear

@puppycanducruise

On Respite: Lots of great advice and I will try and take advantage of all the help that is offered, and there's quite a bit available, I'm just nervous about having more strangers in/out of the house.  Not that I don't trust them, we have yet to have any problems of that nature, and I lock everything in my office safe as the V.A. suggested.  But I'm always afraid they are going to bring something in here from other homes they visit like illness of course, or bugs. 

On Prayer: I've recently rediscovered my faith, I normally don't get into things that personal, but it's relevant in this case; Dad's church and I are not on good terms because of some disagreements with the leadership, it's going to create problems for the funeral down the road, so I'm currently trying to fix all that on top of all the caregiving.  So thanks for all the prayers n thoughts no matter what your belief system.

As usual, I will try to pop in and give updates, and just pop in and read about all the fantastic cruises, if anything I can keep up with the latest fads, because I will return to sailing some day.  

Take care,

Bruno

• Like 30
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Ushuaia twice.  The first time was in 1999 on Noordam III.  The second time was in 2015 on Ruby Princess.  We walked around town in the morning and took the tour to the end of the road (the Pan American Highway.).  By the time it reached the end in South America, it was a well-maintained dirt road which is how it begins in Alaska.

These first pictures are from our morning walk. 

DSC02708.thumb.JPG.3fb34df7b2c74d3bad52c2f1a61acddb.JPG

DSC02709.thumb.JPG.8d74197732cf069adb17d0ab7425f2b8.JPG

DSC02711.thumb.JPG.e51219bf7c3f8251d30bcca1a96feec8.JPG

DSC02714.thumb.JPG.b08af7dc6ccf08fb381f4cca719b2aaf.JPG

DSC02716.thumb.JPG.9595fbfff4d39df14be50027e748414b.JPG

DSC02718.thumb.JPG.6729453e84e73cd2053a6bf402f95bca.JPG

These were taken when we returned from our tour in the afternoon when the weather was better.  The second one was taken from our aft balcony as we sailed toward Punta Arenas, Chile.

DSC02772.thumb.JPG.2746518cbc20e33f449f3bb302dad9fd.JPG

DSC02776.thumb.JPG.28a2eef6f2becd802086d0743f62ceb7.JPG

The view from the end of the road and the road looking back from the shoreline.

DSC02723.thumb.JPG.3e3a496ceb99f9f6d899bd42a030ea63.JPG

DSC02724.thumb.JPG.c9af91edf86b227d620fc203c090223e.JPG

DSC02728.thumb.JPG.bd082376b07c2abd9e440333a2333ff0.JPG

Another picture of the sign that shows the distance to Alaska on the northern end in Prudhoe Bay.

DSC02755.thumb.JPG.2945803145e6231f17307303c9873f7f.JPG

Our next stop was the headquarters of the Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego.

DSC02769.thumb.JPG.e9bdef0afd4c9baf2c7794c830bee4a5.JPG

DSC02766.thumb.JPG.37d826ac34f055fe81400e928ec80653.JPG

One of the best views we had that day.

DSC02767.thumb.JPG.691c286d82e2e62f74d60e945e9a8570.JPG

Lenda

Dear Dad was on the Noordam II, it sure was a tiny little thing, even by 1950's standards, but it was a very elegant ship.  

• Like 22

Good morning, Dailyites, I'm here fairly early because I didn't go to exercise; there's still a little snow on the ground, and I didn't go out all last week, so I'm out of shape and I don't think I could get up off the floor.  I will practice today and hope to go to exercise on Wednesday.  What a nuisance it is, getting old..  I've been reading with interest the information about who does the bookkeeping in the household, and I have to say, I need to know more from Pat.  I used to share the banking duties while he was travelling a lot, but haven't kept up for years now, and he does everything on line.  With this heart thing he has, I think I need at least a list of logins and passwords, etc!  It has always been the plan that I would "go" first, his family was all long-lived, and no one I know in my family has made it to 90!  But now...

Anyway, to travel - we have been to Ushuaia twice, the first time for a few days before our Antarctic "expedition" on Quark, DD was with us and as she wanted to add Argentina to her driving log, we rented a car, and she drove us all over the place.  The scenery is very impressive!  Of course the number one spot to visit is the National Park, we saw so many birds!  I will post some pictures, sorry, I can't remember all their names.  The second time we were on Zaandam and we went ashore with CC friends and Pat found us a taxi.  Our friend wanted wool, we had shopped with her in Montevideo and Stanley, and our taxi driver in Ushuaia said his abuelita (little grandmother) also used the "palillos" (little sticks) and he knew where she bought wool.  He took us to a shop way off in the boonies that had wool from floor to ceiling on every wall and piled in the middle.  He warned  our friend not to say the prices were good, as then they would put them up.  She came away from the cruise with bags of wool; fortunately they had packed a large duffel bag for the purpose!  We also went to the park, but didn't see so many birds this time.  We did go to the End of the World postoffice.

Amazing scenery

P1020558.thumb.JPG.d505129e12c81c66a6e90fdedb8ab176.JPG

Guanaco

P1020588.thumb.JPG.422c128b1d3f9236e4c8ea1ed2368c2a.JPG

In the park, Chile in the distance.

P1000249.thumb.JPG.c8ffa2599b5ce94007318a2e600c2b67.JPG

Magellanic woodpecker - they are huge!

P1000188.thumb.JPG.64688edc0c9825ae2489aa1272af0a5f.JPG

Love birds...

P1000204.thumb.JPG.523a663b8d56b4a146ef5551edcf492c.JPG

P1020696.thumb.JPG.9fec7d73257b10191aaa6cc1da896879.JPG

P1000248.thumb.JPG.5979dc5d31452d809358eeac6445f41e.JPG

Plover

2bandedplover43.thumb.jpg.f203e1d5fbf29c62f2c5a99c8c17bde7.jpg

P1000173.thumb.jpg.a1657e466f63d89fd6a9ed97f40b31bc.jpg

The second time we went to the park this is all we saw -

P1060597.thumb.JPG.5173bbb33c6f03242f4c0e1da127652f.JPG

Best wishes to Bruno, @atexsix, on his care for his DD, I remember the hospice coming in for my mother; as much as it is a great help in keeping the person comfortable, it means more people in the house, and more confusion;  I will remember you both in my prayers.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6