The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 6th, 2024

Today is Joseph Brackett Day, No Diet Day, and No Homework Day

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.--Plato

Meal Suggestion for today - Feta, Kale & Pear Salad
Drink of the Day - Green Eyed Tiger
Wine of the Day - 2020 Spätburgunder, [02 22], Shelter Winery, Baden
Destination of the Day - Bar Harbor, Maine, US

Today in History:
1626 Dutch colonist Peter Minuit organizes the purchase of Manhattan Island from Native Americans for 60 guilders worth of goods, believed to have been Canarsee Indians of the Lenape

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00 

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 05-08

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Stavanger, Norway eta 05-07

Noordam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-07

Oosterdam

Mykonos, Greece. 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord 07:00 - 15:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada eta 05-07

Westerdam

Kodiak Island, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00 

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 24

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s post eye surgery issues; appointment today

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with stroke, out of ICU but with issues

StLouisCruisers driving from FL to GA today

Victims of flooding and storms across the country

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, pain & jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

Kazu having foot pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Ger_77’s DH Maurice with a date for TAVR surgery

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery, sleeping well

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for MISTER 67 (Enchanted Princess May 11 to May 18) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with St. Thomas

5 days for StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam May 11 to June 😎 28d Azores, Normandy & Baltic Jewels Harboursiders + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas, YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 32

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

73 this AM with a high of 89 and sunny skies.

Interesting days, I hated homework, tried to get it done in study hall.
I’m constantly dieting but I had my gall bladder removed 4 years ago and your metabolism gets messed up and it’s hard to lose weight as you don’t process food and fats in a normal way, I’m about 10 pounds over where I’d like to be.

One of those Greek guys my ancestors knew with a quote that’s spot on.

I’ll pass on the salad even though I love Feta cheese, just don’t care for pears.

Maine is one of the few states I haven’t visited so haven’t experienced Bar Harbor.

Monday’s are early tee times for our golf group, we lost a few more snowbirds over the weekend and are down to around 3 foursomes for the summer.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Green Eyed Tiger cocktail:

The "Green Eyed Tiger" cocktail is a captivating and exotic libation that exudes a sense of mystery and allure. With its vibrant green color and intriguing blend of flavors, this cocktail is sure to catch the attention of adventurous cocktail enthusiasts. Inspired by the majesty of the jungle and the spirit of the wild, the Green Eyed Tiger cocktail combines the refreshing tang of citrus with the smoothness of vodka and a hint of herbal complexity. Get ready to unleash your inner tiger and embark on a thrilling taste adventure with this mesmerizing cocktail.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
3/4 oz midori melon liqueur

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker with ice add vodka, green melon liqueur, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
Strain the Green Eyed Tiger cocktail into a chilled martini glass. Garnish the cocktail with a lime wedge(optional).

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 6.11.25 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 23

Vanessa @JazzyV are you still having problems copying and pasting your Care, etc list?  (Having to re-type).

My FCl listing blew up and wouldnn’t paste properly.  Apparently junk can form on an old listing and Brian (POA1) has fixed it for me, bless him.

He also suggested not using select all or dragging to copy.  You may not be using that on your Ipad but I have been.  Instead he suggested using the old way of copy and paste:  Here it is below in case it is of help to you:

When I select, I don't drag. I click at the beginning. Then I hold Shift + Right Arrow to select the first character.

Then, I hold Shift and press Ctrl + End. (Command = Ctrl on Apple keyboard.)

Then Ctrl + C to copy. 

On CC, Ctrl + V to paste. “

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for taking over the Daily Report while Jacqui was on her cruise! 🙂

A nice day here with a high of only 83 degrees. 🙂  

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 

IMG_1033.JPG

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Welcome back @kazu

Cool and clear this morning. 

Not sure who Joseph Brackett is and why he needs a day.  I need a new diet, I should lose a few pounds.  Is homework the same as housework?

I like the quote.

The meal sounds tasty, so does the drink, hope the wine is tasty too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific Monday.  Stay safe.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Enjoying our lunch BBQ and dance party. The lounge band has folks up and dancing. The nerve of us old folks.

The Indian Ocean is churning but short swells so not that much movement.

Like I mentioned yesterday dinner with Hotel Director and another talented guest performer tonight. Not many of us but they are keeping us entertained .

No diet day here but there definitely will be one after this cruise. Actually sick of eating but it is so good.

Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

It is cloudy and 15°C at the beach.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days and quote.

I hope everyone is safe and feeling in good health.

IMG_20240506_114646.jpg

Screenshot_20240506_114604.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20

Mitzi and I are back in Saint Paul safe and sound after 28 days on the Nieuw Statendam. As you might guess from this unusually early posting, our biological clocks need resetting after the long (but uneventful, i.e. no major problems encountered) trip home.

The cruise was quite nice and we enjoyed spending time with @sailingdutchy, @Vict0riann@VMax1700, @ToBe, @cruiseaholic78, @rajkr74, and lots of others from our large roll call! 

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Welcome back. I really enjoyed your “live from” - thank you for taking the time to do it.

Thank you for making sure we didn’t skip a beat, Sandi!

Roy, thank you for our maps. 

Vanessa, hope your discomfort disappears and you sleep better in your bed. Thank you for keeping up with us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, some early morning gardening, chores and a dip in the pool are on the agenda for today. 

IMG_2838.jpeg.b745dc5462fd51d78a353a10b27f27a6.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg.553de534ae99d151463caf239d0d6791.jpeg

IMG_2839.jpeg.115a26da6f7843232eec3d31389626e9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Terry, Tana, Amber, Annie & Chuck, Richard, Maurice, Melissa keeping you all at the top of my prayer list.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2020 Spätburgunder, [02 22], Shelter Winery, Baden

A grape by any other name… I learned that Germany calls Pinot Noir grapes Spätburgunder at one of my local wine bar’s wine tastings. So I did not need to use my decoder ring to figure out today’s wine’s name. Though I find it highly suspicious that @kazu’s first day back I am tested. 🤔 This PN doesn’t tempt me. It is light, and I prefer my PN to have more body. A bit elusive. Online prices start at $28.99.

Distributor notes

Husband and wife team Hans-Bert Espe and Silke Wolf make inspired, delicate and polished Pinot Noirs from their few hectares of Pinot Noir just north of the famous Kaiserstuhl in Baden, Germany. The vineyard is cooled by the Black Forest to the north and the soils are a mix of limestone and loess that result in wines with moderate alcohol and high acidity. No herbicides or pesticides are used in the vineyards; harvest is done completely by hand. In the cellar, a short cold soak is followed by a delicate press (normally the stems are removed, though this can differ from vintage to vintage) and fermentation in open-top vessels. Shelter's Spätburgunder is aged in used oak barrels, producing a delicate Pinot with high-toned red fruit aromas and flavors, light body and thrilling finish. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 1

Welcome to Monday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Busy day with setting up several classes. At least no rain expected during the day. 

I was in Bar Harbor two years ago on the NCL Pearl. I will be there again this October on the NCL Sky. Such a beautiful place. At least for now cruisers will get to see it as they are limiting the number of passengers that will be allowed to enter Bar Harbor to 1000 a day, I believe starting next year. I think my cruise this year will be okay. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day/ 

Wake Me When Monday is Over - Kitty Cat Chronicles

• Like 34

51 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is cloudy and 15°C at the beach.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days and quote.

I hope everyone is safe and feeling in good health.

IMG_20240506_114646.jpg

Screenshot_20240506_114604.jpg

No McCafe?

• Like 8
  • Haha 12

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

No Diet Day! Right! I had my annual physical 3 months ago and my Doctor told me I had to lose weight. So I have been on a diet or 1500 calorie intake per day for 13 weeks. During my 15 day cruise in March I even lost

3-1/2 pounds. The cruise line made money off me. I was even on the drink package plan and had no hard drink. At least on HAL I was allowed to have 15 Diet Cokes per day! 😳😳😳

• Like 27

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!.  We got the house clean before our guest arrived-and yes, she is adopting the white and black kittner, who she named Jersey (as in cow).Now to get the washing machine to drain, so I can do loads of laundry.

It rained a lot yesterday afternoon and night, but now it's cloudy and 67 degrees. I actually dont know what it is supposed to do today, but Sandi-be safe on the way home. Which brings me to the question, Now that Morgan has graduated, where is she headed?  Or will she be staying on with the Aquarium?  

The weatherman just came on with the local weather-um.....unsettled weather for the week, with temps going down at the end of it.

Well this is new, getting up to go to a job that starts at 9:30.  I still have to walk the dog before work, and get breakfast.  Then off for 3.5 hours then back on for 5.  Then off at 9 at night.

0bf86af7ca0c42f437cdf96f630c23bf.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Good morning, everyone!

According to the forecast, we have another beautiful day in store for us.  Mostly sunny skies with a high around 70F.  But, the pollen count is high, so I'll be carrying the tissue box around with me.  

Welcome back to heading the Daily to @kazu Jacqui.  Safe travels home for @StLouisCruisers Sandi and Dennis.  Thanks for the great job while Jacqui was cruising.  Also, welcome home to @Overhead Fred Fred and Mitzi.  

Today after the gym I will be sewing the borders on my quilt to take it in for quilting.  It is too big to fit through my machine.  

Today's meal sounds good for a summer day.  I like the toasted seeds on top of this one.  There is good protein in the salad and carbs are at a reasonable level.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/277838/feta-kale-pear-salad/

kaleandpearsalad1.jpeg.9b89e7580e895e27ff2112662178e54d.jpeg

Kale has so many health benefits it is worth a try.  It can benefit the digestive system, help regulate blood pressure and contains tons of vitamins and minerals.   https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270435

kale.thumb.jpg.8378c9233c23c09b2334053d695007b6.jpg

I like the lemon dressing in this one, but then, I like anything lemony.   https://detoxinista.com/kale-pear-feta-salad/

kaleandpearsalad2.jpg.299f20516ecde4ad49d38279cce99c92.jpg

This one sounds really good, but it is an example of taking something healthy and making it not so healthy.  The calories are way up in this one as is the carb count, but if you can handle it, I bet it would be delicious.  https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/fried-feta-kale-salad-with-pear-roasted-sweet-potato

kaleandpearsalad3.thumb.jpg.67e21279102f9170e7a3a5244e16788f.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

good morning all.  Thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

Just a quick post as I need to hobble out to the garage and attempt to get the car out and prep stuff.  The foot nurse contacted me yesterday to see how my foot was after the trip and when I told her it had improved somewhat but then started to hurt at night and was difficult to walk on.  I did wheel chair assistance disembarking and at the airport.  Anyone who knows me, knows I wouldn’t do that unless it was unbearable.  When she heard that, she asked to come right over to examine it.

After her examination she agreed the outside was healed but the pain (she tested me - ouch)indicated either an infection inside or something very wrong and told me to not wait for my appointment on Wednesday but try to get in today to get antibiotics NOW along with all the referrals she wants (X-ray, vascular surgeon, orthotics - it’s a long list - not sure if the doctor will attend to it all in one appointment.

her name is magic - they know how good she is and I have an appointment later this morning.  Not only did she make the house call at her request - she also is making herself available if the doctor wants to talk to her about her observations.  she’s a gem and I am so glad I found her.  She is knowledgeable, dedicated and caring - reminds me very much of my own DD Jose.

Prayers for those on the care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain health issues, worries and those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from a sunny 53F Boston.  Thanks for the daily report and thanks to @StLouisCruisers for maintaining it in while @kazu was traveling.  I’ll gladly celebrate no diet day although I should for our upcoming Volendam cruise.  I like Plato’s quote very much.  I’ll pass on the meal but would say yes to the drink.  Bar Harbor is a lovely place, we’ve been there on both land vacations and by ship once.  We’re scheduled to visit next month on our cruise.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to those celebrating happy events today!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

good morning all.  Thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

Just a quick post as I need to hobble out to the garage and attempt to get the car out and prep stuff.  The foot nurse contacted me yesterday to see how my foot was after the trip and when I told her it had improved somewhat but then started to hurt at night and was difficult to walk on.  I did wheel chair assistance disembarking and at the airport.  Anyone who knows me, knows I wouldn’t do that unless it was unbearable.  When she heard that, she asked to come right over to examine it.

After her examination she agreed the outside was healed but the pain (she tested me - ouch)indicated either an infection inside or something very wrong and told me to not wait for my appointment on Wednesday but try to get in today to get antibiotics NOW along with all the referrals she wants (X-ray, vascular surgeon, orthotics - it’s a long list - not sure if the doctor will attend to it all in one appointment.

her name is magic - they know how good she is and I have an appointment later this morning.  Not only did she make the house call at her request - she also is making herself available if the doctor wants to talk to her about her observations.  she’s a gem and I am so glad I found her.  She is knowledgeable, dedicated and caring - reminds me very much of my own DD Jose.

Prayers for those on the care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain health issues, worries and those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

She has a good name.

If only everyone was as conscientious as her.

I hope the medics can find out what is wrong and make your foot better.

• Like 19