The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday May 15th, 2024

Good morning and Happy Wednesday. It’s already a lovely sunshiny day and starting Friday it will be in the 90’s, probably for good. Wonder when the ice will break. That’s when we hit 100 for the first time. 

It’s nice to have my regular coffee today with cream after not having it for two days. The yucky colonoscopy is done now but the doctor scolded me about waiting so long and wants me back on a 5 year schedule. I’m not sure why that happened but as I thought about it I think it was the pandemic so I just skipped it. 

I would like the lemon blueberry cake but would use all real ingredients. I’m big on using the real thing and eating it in moderation. I think it’s healthier. Debbie I like the look of the first two recipes. 

We were supposed to call on Athens in 2001 but a transportation strike stopped us and we went to Potmos instead. 

Pennie @Nickelpenny, I was saddened to hear that you are in so much pain. My thoughts are with you. Can I help with anything?

Carol @mamaofami, so good to hear from you!  

Jacqui @kazu, thinking of you and hoping your foot heals soon. 

Annie @marshhawk, prayers and thoughts with you and Chuck. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

@kochleffelWe spent a week in Aruba.  I am going to give you two very different suggestions.  The Atlantis submarine company is available on several islands.  I am a bit claustrophobic but it was an amazing experience.  The Butterfly Farm was also very nice.

Hoping that all who are dealing with medical issues are on the road to recovery.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good humid and rainy morning. It’s supposed to rain off and on all day.

We received a lovely flower arrangement late yesterday from our deeply loved veterinary staff. The other cats are very clingy, they miss him .

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

IMG_1686.jpeg

IMG_1687.jpeg

It's nice when the vet really cares for their patients and their humans.  Pretty flowers.

1 hour ago, wandb said:

I am loving all the pictures of Athens!!  I am just getting started researching for a cruise to the Greek Islands for next year. I’d love anyone’s input on the best time to go. Is it too cold in Feb.-March?  Too hot in July-Aug?  How about Sept.-Oct? Or maybe April-May is the perfect time?

I envy all of you who have been there several times. This may be my only trip there, and I want to see all that I can see!

Thank you in advance. 

We've been to Greece in the spring, summer and fall.  I would recommend spring of fall.  The time we were there in July, it was so hot, they had to close the Acropolis in the after.  Summer is also the most crowded time to visit.  

55 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm not very aware of Kangaroo Care. I hope that a treatment for MPS is found.

I hope that the bread is made with healthy blueberries and lemons, but I don't think that it's notably healthful. Pass on the drink. Viognier is the typical white variety of the Rhone, so not an obvious choice for the Finger Lakes, but several wineries grow it and say that the slower ripening yields more intense flavor. I'd try the 2018 from Goose Watch Winery at the north end of Seneca Lake. I was in Athens before and after a cruise from Piraeus on the Norwegian Jade in 2022 but I posted my photos then.

This region was the center of the woman suffrage movement, beginning with the Seneca Falls Convention in 1848. Stanton's family lived in Seneca Falls and their house is part of the Women's Rights National Historical Park. Anthony was from Rochester.

I could use some help with planning shore activities for my Panama Canal cruise in December. The ports are Puerto Plata and Catalina Island in the DR, Willemstad, and Oranjestad.

I don't need any suggestions for Willemstad, where I spent a week several years ago. I've been to Puerto Plata twice, but the second time was when I was ill in January and didn't go ashore; I could reschedule the eating-drinking tour with Iguana Mama that I cancelled then, but I'm more of a mind to take a taxi to the teleférico and visit the botanical garden. Some standard tours go there but I don't think they allow enough time for the garden. I do not want to visit any more rum factories, ride about in a jeep, or ride a horse or donkey.

Catalina Island is notable for the lack of options, and the cruise line's offerings are distinctively unappealing. I'm open to suggestions for Oranjestad, which I've never visited.

footnote.thumb.jpg.c837d75cdc13b351ed7394b9d9ee03bb.jpg

Paul, Oranjestad is an easy walkable town.  However, to get the flavor of the island, you should get out of town.  We've always rented cars, which you can pick up just outside the gate on the pier.  You probably could hire a taxi to show you the island.

53 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good morning and thanks for the daily and fleet report. Interesting days to celebrate. The meal sounds good but I think anything other than something liquid would probably be divine. I’ve been to Athens but not the port as I flew there. Go get them Susan B Anthony!!!!

the start of day 3 flat on my back but they will start raising the head of the bed in increments today. Hopefully I will get to walk. I got behind the pain and was miserable for a while but we came to a compromise about when to take it. I don’t like taking pain pills!

thank you all who have wished me best wishes. I know if I name people I will forget one. Just know when you mention me I truly appreciate it. 

this glitch has made me change some plans but I think it will all work out for me. 

thoughts for the other who are dealing with challenges and cheers for those celebrating. Have a great day!

Pennie, try not to get behind the pain.  I hope raising the head of the bed goes well, and that you can get to walk.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks all! 
@cat shepard yikes on the tornado, glad you are well. Too bad on the wine, we were just in the Columbia valley, love Viognier. 

@mamaofami nice to hear from you!  
@kazu glad to hear from you, but hoping the news will be better soon! 
@ger_77 hope all your planning goes well,  your doctor is probably very wise, seems to be more sick around here lately.  
@marshhawk and @Nickelpenny wishing you a better day! 

We've visited Athens many times so last time on an overnight port visit we took a private tour to Meteora.  

IMG_2853.jpeg

IMG_2852.jpeg

IMG_2850.jpeg

IMG_2847.jpeg

IMG_2845.jpeg

IMG_2843.jpeg

IMG_2836.jpeg

IMG_2835.jpeg

IMG_2821.jpeg

IMG_2826.jpeg

IMG_2786.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

Good Afternoon,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  I has two meetings cancelled so I have a few minutes.   I'd enjoy today’s meal suggestion a lot.

@kazu I hope that your foot heals quickly. 

@1ANGELCAT beautiful flowers.

I'm not sure why but I felt like I needed to add trip insurance for our August cruises.  Did that today before final payment date.

The birds are busy feeding the first round of babies.  The chirping is music yo my ears.

Our wisteria is in bloom. 

20240513_084803.thumb.jpg.25d358d09c7ddb53b326ad64eea58b74.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wandb said:

I am loving all the pictures of Athens!!  I am just getting started researching for a cruise to the Greek Islands for next year. I’d love anyone’s input on the best time to go. Is it too cold in Feb.-March?  Too hot in July-Aug?  How about Sept.-Oct? Or maybe April-May is the perfect time?

I envy all of you who have been there several times. This may be my only trip there, and I want to see all that I can see!

Thank you in advance. 

We’ve visited Greece many times of the year,  I’d avoid July and August because of the heat.   September would be great IMO if you like to swim, the water is still warm whereas in spring it could be very cool.   But a lot of islands closeup in October.    The earliest I’d consider is late April.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning all!

A good selection of days.  I treasure family time, MPS sounds like a horrid disease, it was fun to see kangaroos in the wild when we were on the Grand Australia.  The lemon blueberry bread sounds delicious, but no glaze for me please.  Maybe on the drink, and definite yes on the Viognier. 

We've been to Athens several times, and stayed pre-cruise for a few days on one trip.  It's one of my favorite European destinations.  @wandb April-May is my favorite time to go to Greece. The weather is lovely then.   Second choice would be Sept-Oct.  We had more chance of rain then, but the temperatures are still nice.

Sending prayers for @kazu and @Nickelpenny that they will both have much better days soon!  Jacqui it's baffling why the antibiotics haven't helped more...I hope you get some answers pronto!

Yesterday I drove south to watch DGS in his 3rd grade track meet.  He got a couple ribbons and had a great time.  It's fun watching kids that age, so much energy!  

It looks like today will be our last nice day for awhile, so I plan to get outside and play in the garden.  One project is nursing a lavender back.  When I returned last month from the Grand Australia I found that my lavender (and my neighbor's) didn't do well with the sudden cold snap they had right after we left in January.  The middle of my plant died -- but the whole perimeter is fine and has new growth!  Talking to nursery people I found that a LOT of people lost their lavenders last winter.  But mine is showing new growth, so we'll see what happens!

We've been to Athens several times, the most recently was  September and October of 2021so my photos are from that cruise on the Eurodam.

This visit we took the HOHO in Athens one day, some views from the bus

640067142_HOHOAthens.jpg.49c9489734faab9bd82ca9e9f6cc014d.jpg

1966369692_AthensHOHO.jpg.ce8ff7469117cc3d86c335eded6f6e85.jpg

Dionysos Theater

1214406139_DionysosTheater.jpg.1d1c066341847b84c05bb0e6a968842f.jpg

Dionysos Theater and view of Athens

993858431_AthensandDionysos.jpg.364f8eda7e8498b036924335175962a3.jpg

My favorite part of the Acropolis

Acropolis.jpg.d0a322afcc2b5bb40a6e43a6bde46bff.jpg

1970635681_Athens2021.jpg.d1eb79e8ddaec54432f46d60b596f011.jpg

2021.jpg.019879ccbabf0a7ec471046fc5c4f3f6.jpg

While on the HOHO we saw a large police presence in the streets.  Pretty soon we found out what was going on.

1961158271_Athenspolice.jpg.8d6d6ccad173fa89ec10ddb54954ef1d.jpg

It was a protest by students about funding.

717913050_Athensprotesters.jpg.e9c4f28f982481b6cfef2d7ee87df214.jpg

1357785368_ViewofAcropolis.jpg.9d8491c86486d5332242afec3c8daf08.jpg

We also went to the Acropolis Museum

1764150608_Acropolismuseum.jpg.1e7dd6412a012f8b9c0a11169515bbc2.jpg

666999723_inmuseum.jpg.ea7914083ca0a998ef90217aa991e6a0.jpg

cat.jpg.36553f241437fd7b0c4d38f38d4ead7c.jpg

Hadrian's Arch. Our first visit to Athens in 2011 there was no fee to enter.  Now there is.

497315826_HadriansArch.thumb.jpg.3dc1ba543f3282802ee070affdcfe7c0.jpg

We stopped to get some take-out from this restaurant, a favorite from 2011.  We were saddened to hear that the beloved patriarch of the family-owned restaurant had passed away in 2018.

392217859_GodsRestaurant.thumb.jpg.7b675742836c7abe1117b35c30658579.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, wandb said:

Thank you in advance. 

Mid September till end of October is our preferred time because it is still warm but the humidity has dropped and there are less people there.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

We spent a week in Aruba.  I am going to give you two very different suggestions.  The Atlantis submarine company is available on several islands.  I am a bit claustrophobic but it was an amazing experience.  The Butterfly Farm was also very nice.

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Oranjestad is an easy walkable town.  However, to get the flavor of the island, you should get out of town.  We've always rented cars, which you can pick up just outside the gate on the pier.  You probably could hire a taxi to show you the island.

Thank you (both).

• Like 13

Paul, when we were in Oranjestad in 2019, there was a free trolley that did a circuit of the town with a few stops (although I don't think we got off) It was an interesting ride, and you can count the blue horses!

P1070915.thumb.JPG.70f06ff51b1584bd7b3106b771daa856.JPG

P1070912.thumb.JPG.9a011acfe26f82e2cc54fb3f8a32e5e9.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thought I might mention what kangaroo care actually means.  It is a method of holding infants, particularly low birth weight or premature ones, close to their mother's chest for periods of time.  It has been shown to be helpful to their well being and health.

Ray

• Like 7
  • Thanks 16

Posted (edited)

The changing of the guard in Athens in front of the Monument of the Unknown Soldier at Syntagma Square, in front of the Hellenic Parliament. These soldiers, known as the Evzones, or Evzoni (Presidential Guard), are extremely well-disciplined. Their distinctive dress is interesting and their gait right of Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks, no disrespect intended

undefined

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon,

@kazu Jacqui, thanks for checking in and letting us know what is going on.  I hope you get some relief soon.  This has gone on way too long.  

@Nickelpenny Pennie, I hope you can tolerate the head raising.  Most of us don't like taking pills, but there are times when you just have to do so.  Don't get behind the pain again, please!

I stopped at the front desk at the gym today for some clarification on the pool use.  I first asked about using the lazy river.  Since that is just walking I can tolerate it for longer periods at the shorter depth.  I was told that I could use it when there were no activities in the middle of the pool as it would be too distracting to the classes being held.  I couldn't help myself and asked if lap swimming was also curtailed during that time to minimize disruption, but no, it is not.  Only my use of the lazy river would be a distraction.  I noticed today that two of the lap lanes were empty the entire time I was there, so I asked if I could use a lap lane at the greater depth to do my routine in safety and was told no.  The lap lanes are only for lap swimming and if I am not going to swim, they will remain unused.  This was the same jerk who told me to find something else to do yesterday.  He also chastised me for interrupting him.  I said, Oh, like you did to me yesterday?   Yes, I can understand that you wouldn't like it.  Now, I am allowed to use the deeper water from 5 pm to 7 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays and 6:15 - 7 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I am wondering why lap swimming gets so much preference.  Time to find a new gym.  Since they won't let me use the pool at a convenient time, I may as well go to another gym and take my business away.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

A good selection of days.  I treasure family time, MPS sounds like a horrid disease, it was fun to see kangaroos in the wild when we were on the Grand Australia.  The lemon blueberry bread sounds delicious, but no glaze for me please.  Maybe on the drink, and definite yes on the Viognier. 

We've been to Athens several times, and stayed pre-cruise for a few days on one trip.  It's one of my favorite European destinations.  @wandb April-May is my favorite time to go to Greece. The weather is lovely then.   Second choice would be Sept-Oct.  We had more chance of rain then, but the temperatures are still nice.

Sending prayers for @kazu and @Nickelpenny that they will both have much better days soon!  Jacqui it's baffling why the antibiotics haven't helped more...I hope you get some answers pronto!

Yesterday I drove south to watch DGS in his 3rd grade track meet.  He got a couple ribbons and had a great time.  It's fun watching kids that age, so much energy!  

It looks like today will be our last nice day for awhile, so I plan to get outside and play in the garden.  One project is nursing a lavender back.  When I returned last month from the Grand Australia I found that my lavender (and my neighbor's) didn't do well with the sudden cold snap they had right after we left in January.  The middle of my plant died -- but the whole perimeter is fine and has new growth!  Talking to nursery people I found that a LOT of people lost their lavenders last winter.  But mine is showing new growth, so we'll see what happens!

We've been to Athens several times, the most recently was  September and October of 2021so my photos are from that cruise on the Eurodam.

This visit we took the HOHO in Athens one day, some views from the bus

640067142_HOHOAthens.jpg.49c9489734faab9bd82ca9e9f6cc014d.jpg

1966369692_AthensHOHO.jpg.ce8ff7469117cc3d86c335eded6f6e85.jpg

Dionysos Theater

1214406139_DionysosTheater.jpg.1d1c066341847b84c05bb0e6a968842f.jpg

Dionysos Theater and view of Athens

993858431_AthensandDionysos.jpg.364f8eda7e8498b036924335175962a3.jpg

My favorite part of the Acropolis

Acropolis.jpg.d0a322afcc2b5bb40a6e43a6bde46bff.jpg

1970635681_Athens2021.jpg.d1eb79e8ddaec54432f46d60b596f011.jpg

2021.jpg.019879ccbabf0a7ec471046fc5c4f3f6.jpg

While on the HOHO we saw a large police presence in the streets.  Pretty soon we found out what was going on.

1961158271_Athenspolice.jpg.8d6d6ccad173fa89ec10ddb54954ef1d.jpg

It was a protest by students about funding.

717913050_Athensprotesters.jpg.e9c4f28f982481b6cfef2d7ee87df214.jpg

1357785368_ViewofAcropolis.jpg.9d8491c86486d5332242afec3c8daf08.jpg

We also went to the Acropolis Museum

1764150608_Acropolismuseum.jpg.1e7dd6412a012f8b9c0a11169515bbc2.jpg

666999723_inmuseum.jpg.ea7914083ca0a998ef90217aa991e6a0.jpg

cat.jpg.36553f241437fd7b0c4d38f38d4ead7c.jpg

Hadrian's Arch. Our first visit to Athens in 2011 there was no fee to enter.  Now there is.

497315826_HadriansArch.thumb.jpg.3dc1ba543f3282802ee070affdcfe7c0.jpg

We stopped to get some take-out from this restaurant, a favorite from 2011.  We were saddened to hear that the beloved patriarch of the family-owned restaurant had passed away in 2018.

392217859_GodsRestaurant.thumb.jpg.7b675742836c7abe1117b35c30658579.jpg

Carolyn, thanks for the pictures from Athens.  

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon,

@kazu Jacqui, thanks for checking in and letting us know what is going on.  I hope you get some relief soon.  This has gone on way too long.  

@Nickelpenny Pennie, I hope you can tolerate the head raising.  Most of us don't like taking pills, but there are times when you just have to do so.  Don't get behind the pain again, please!

I stopped at the front desk at the gym today for some clarification on the pool use.  I first asked about using the lazy river.  Since that is just walking I can tolerate it for longer periods at the shorter depth.  I was told that I could use it when there were no activities in the middle of the pool as it would be too distracting to the classes being held.  I couldn't help myself and asked if lap swimming was also curtailed during that time to minimize disruption, but no, it is not.  Only my use of the lazy river would be a distraction.  I noticed today that two of the lap lanes were empty the entire time I was there, so I asked if I could use a lap lane at the greater depth to do my routine in safety and was told no.  The lap lanes are only for lap swimming and if I am not going to swim, they will remain unused.  This was the same jerk who told me to find something else to do yesterday.  He also chastised me for interrupting him.  I said, Oh, like you did to me yesterday?   Yes, I can understand that you wouldn't like it.  Now, I am allowed to use the deeper water from 5 pm to 7 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays and 6:15 - 7 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I am wondering why lap swimming gets so much preference.  Time to find a new gym.  Since they won't let me use the pool at a convenient time, I may as well go to another gym and take my business away.

Debbie, I agree that it's time to take your money and find a friendlier gym.  I think the current place needs to rethink their personnel because of the attitude you've encountered the last two days.

The windshield did not get replaced.  They sent the tech out with a windshield that had to be glued on, but the car uses a gasket.  The tech said his boss said just glue it.  Now, we have to wait for them to see if they can get all the needed parts before they can schedule us to come in for the service.  For some reason, we are dealing with an repair facility near Ft. Worth instead of the one in Waco which is much closer and we would encounter less traffic.  I am less than thrilled to say the least.  End of rant.  At least, the clothes and sheets are clean, folded and put away.  Now, I'm taking my book outside to relax.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

After 3.5 hours in the dental chair I am now missing the locator attachments for my lower denture as well as the 2 anchor teeth for them & am now the proud owner of bone grafts & implant pegs/jigs.....go back on the 30th for suture removal.  The longest part of the time was getting my lower jaw numb.....but IT'S OVER!!   Thanks for the good thoughts!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Paul, when we were in Oranjestad in 2019, there was a free trolley that did a circuit of the town with a few stops (although I don't think we got off) It was an interesting ride, and you can count the blue horses!

Thank you.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

@kochleffelWe spent a week in Aruba.  I am going to give you two very different suggestions.  The Atlantis submarine company is available on several islands.  I am a bit claustrophobic but it was an amazing experience.  The Butterfly Farm was also very nice.

Hoping that all who are dealing with medical issues are on the road to recovery.

@kochleffel I will also place vote for the butterfly 🦋 farm; I honestly didn't even think about it until @0106 mentioned it. It was very pretty and relaxing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@wandbWe were in Athens the first part of October several years ago and it was very hot the day we toured the Acropolis. Luckily, I had my umbrella in my backpack in case of rain. Worked well for a sun shade instead.

@wandb having an umbrella 🌂 handy is a great tip - the small folding ones take up little space and add very little weight; we used ours a lot in Oct in Greece.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute families and kangaroo care. MPS is a bad disease, and hopefully there's a genetic cure soon.  Good quote. I'd like the bread, pass on the drink and wine. I've been to Athens on a land trip in 1999, pre-digital. Yay to Women's Suffrage - the Today Show had performers from the Broadway musical Suff on today

It's been a partly cloudy day, upper 60's. I'm tired. I took BFF for his heart Echo today, then back home, where I did some things around his house. The only evidence of yesterday's misadventure is a bruise on his knee. A mutual friend came by later, with takeout, so we had an early dinner together. Now I'm home. Hopefully things will be quiet until his surgery on Tuesday.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos from Piraeus/Athens.

@Mr. Boston Nice photos from the Acropolis.

@marshhawk I'm glad DH got that earlier appointment. I hope a solution can be found. So sorry to hear about your friend whose cancer has spread.

@cat shepard I'm glad you and Bindi are ok; tornado warnings are scary. I'm glad to hear that your sister is doing well.

@mamaofami Good to hear from you. I'm glad your eye issues are resolved.

@RMLincoln Keep up the good work with the regime! Prayers for a successful outcome.

@kazu I'm sad to hear that you're still struggling with foot pain. I hope there's an answer soon. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos. 

@grapau27 Your lunch looks delightful.

@1ANGELCAT Very nice of the vet to send flowers in memory of Houdini.

@Nickelpenny I hope the raising of the head of the bed went well today. Don't let the pain get too bad; I know you don't like taking pain meds, but it's only for the short term.

@bennybear Great photos from Meteora.

@Cruising-along Nice photos.

@Copper10-8 Thanks for the memes and changing of the guard video.

@dfish That gym obviously doesn't want your business. Let your money do the talking.

@57redbird What you went through today sounds like no fun! I hope it wasn't too painful.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Just a couple of photos since mine are similar to others posted.

View of Athens from the Acropolis

01-1_18.99-ViewofAthensfromTheAcropolis.thumb.jpg.9d5407854ca54239faedaf06aba4e436.jpg

The Parthenon

02-1_18.99-TheParthenon.thumb.jpg.b006c0db0e47f4803e468bec2db76d00.jpg

Erechtheum of Acropolis

03-1_18.99-ErechtheumofAcropolis.thumb.jpg.7b8ed0e1c4dfd7298807d94a1b7b5867.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 12

Thank you, everyone for your very helpful comments and suggestions for the trip we are planning to Greece. 
Also for all the wonderful pictures!!

• Like 11

Good evening.

Hope everyone is doing well. However, in reading the posts I see that many of you need prayers.  Be assured of my prayers., especially, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck, Jacqui @kazu and Terry @smitty34877.

Maureen, @RMLincoln Hope things are going well for you and DH.

Carol, @mamaofami nice to see you posting again

I am still not feeling well.   I am trying to get things done here since my cleaning lady is again out of commission.  It is not helping that I am feeling under the weather and just pushing myself too much. Still having some digestive issues as well.  

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Good night,

Terri

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7