The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 21st, 2024

Good morning all, it is nice to read and catch up with all of my friends and see new people on here. I will not be working outside today as we are on our third day of rain, at times heavy.  But this will give me time for inside chores and time to catch up on my reading. 

• Like 25

Good morning and Happy Sunday. It stormed last night and we got a lot of rain and thunder. I forgot about the Amazon delivery that was left before the rain so I hope the book Craig ordered is okay. 

Thank you all for the birthday wishes for Craig!  I will let him know when he wakes up that my Daily friends say Happy Birthday!  Today I’m making him one of his favorites— mussels, with a new recipe from Lidia Bastianich and hope he likes it. I bought him a small chocolate cake from TJ’s too. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, I can’t believe that you and your DH drove all night!  I won’t even drive to Phoenix. Please have a good nap today and get some rest after the long drive home. 

@St Pete Cruiser, Bon Voyage!!  Thank you for your pictures of Bar Harbor. 

Bruce @aliaschief, safe travels home to you and your family. I’ve enjoyed your pictures and posts about your vacation. 

@Heartgrove, congratulations on your anniversary!  Loved your picture!

I will pass on most of today’s food, wine and drink. I’ve never had borscht, beet or otherwise. I like beets in salads but that’s about it. 

Have a great day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home @StLouisCruisers - glad you made it safely after driving 🚗 for a very long night. You may just be getting close, but you'll make it 😎

Happy we're sending @St Pete Cruiser off instead of bringing them home. Hope your cruise is super wonderful after what it took to get you there.

Thank you @Heartgrove for your dedication to our freedom.

Safe travels @aliaschief.

We got a little rain last night. Just as I was taking a screenshot of the weather, it changed from "light rain" to "cloudy" and the person put her umbrella 🌂 away.

Screenshot_20240721_093829_Weather.thumb.jpg.f23db1403c41ea9bb0b6aafc63e55c24.jpg

Rain predicted to start again around 1pm.

Screenshot_20240721_093922_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3722ab7e2c4b769034e12c2eae4df03a.jpg

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. I am still waiting for the rains to come... a couple of light showers has been all so far. I am out of sync with the day since my morning routine was upset when the dogs got me up early and my newspaper did not come. I need to pull myself together and try to get something accomplished. Little things seem to be throwing me off my stride these days. Maybe I need another cruise.

I like borscht so would be happy with the days meal although I do try to limit beets, spinach and rhubarb... all of which I really like.

@StLouisCruisersHope you are home by now, or at least shortly. Get a good rest. @St Pete CruiserEnjoy the cruise now that you have caught up with the ship. This week has certainly shown why arriving a day or two ahead of embarkation is really necessary.... if you can manage it. I know some people can't.

Dogs are demanding another walk, so off I go. Then I need to start today's featured project... clearing out under the sink in the kitchen.

Susan

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Today is the first day of many that will be below the 80's.  Supposedly we have a small chance of rain tonight, and yet the chance of precipitation is 0% all night -- gotta love the weather apps. 

On the agenda today is grocery shopping and housecleaning, not much else.

Interesting days.  The coldest I've ever felt was when we lived in MT and it regularly hit minus 40F in the winter.  I'll pass on the meal (dill, cabbage) and pass on the drink and red wine too.  I disagree with the quote, as nobody can be perfect.  We were in Easo in January on the Grand Australia/NZ.  It was a very nice day, we took a tour to a botanical garden, a vanilla plantation and to the Cliffs of Jokin.  Photos below.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Wow on driving all night!  There's no way I would have the energy, you must be the Energizer Bunny 🙂   Safe final miles home!

Happy Birthday Craig!  @Sharon in AZ

Welcome to the Daily @vince_g!

For the Garden Club -- a lot of my photos are from our visit to the botanical gardens in Easo.  The Hibiscus -- oh my!

yellowhibiscus.jpg.970fed122bf42f05a1b0e579af1dbf67.jpg

HibiscusEaso.thumb.jpg.8d1ffa827897fc941ed977fdad8ea883.jpg

Hibiscus2.thumb.jpg.d4fa07a654d6a6e2df9ebb0c0692869a.jpg

Golden Shower Tree

GoldenShowerTreeEaso.jpg.1dfa8fe855783b275e9f73b1e843d63e.jpg

Fire on the Mountain

FireontheMountainEaso.thumb.jpg.2bcfffeec08279bc29fd4717424f6ffc.jpg

And at the Vanilla Plantation, a vanilla plant

VanillaplantEaso.jpg.7056519a775882a375d203908b7bc124.jpg

The Cliffs of Jokin from our balcony.  Our tour went there too.

CliffsofJokin.jpg.a967a7c0a367cb91a36f67574fec1ee8.jpg

A church at the top of the Cliffs of Jokin

churchattopofJokinCliffs.jpg.c3f00534f7b64274d1dc1351e953f381.jpg

Lovely views from the Cliffs of Jokin

EasoNewCaldonia.jpg.5e54973218e8d7ae0a2558e0ed51aafb.jpg

beachEaso.jpg.e15bebfe518316d3a8cdc3937e7d9c89.jpg

The beaches are gorgeous.

Easobeach.jpg.c99500a155a514d42c50ee2d1b859552.jpg

The Volendam

Volendam.jpg.201204809b4cbbc95087e29da41babe9.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

I'm beginning to think we need to borrow the plans for the ark.  Since the rain started about 7 am, we've received 1.64 inches of rain according to the fancy rain gauge.  It's too wet out to check the old fashioned rain gauge, but a quick look show well above an inch of rain.  The rain stopped just after 9, and in the 15 minutes when I first looked at the fancy rain gauge when it show 0.61 inch and when it stopped the gauge read 0.80 inch.  The rain returned just about 10 and by 10:25 the amount of rain had increased to 1.64 inches.  We didn't get just a heavy rain, but a deluge.  I think more rain is coming as I can hear thunder and it is getting darker out.  The weather radar shows one more smaller cell heading our way.  I'm glad I turned the sprinkler system off yesterday.  And, here's more rain.

I took these pictures just before the rain stopped about 40 minutes ago.  The first is our backyard from the port, the next along the driveway, and the last one of our front yard.

20240721_102100.thumb.jpg.9b5b84a9647e34490dcb4d17f7d84743.jpg

20240721_102130.thumb.jpg.fd5b7a83d1d27083edfd6c29eb9df134.jpg

20240721_102300.thumb.jpg.e7b25cb67a3f8bb3987742d5542256c9.jpg

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from the Zuiderdam

Beautiful day here in Bar Harbor. We are waiting for open tendering to go ashore. We have no set plans so we are letting the crowd go first. 
    Many passengers and staff missed the ship. We finally left Boston at 7:30 last nite waiting a few flights. some are boarding today and others in Sydney. What a nightmare for all of them. We flew up on Thursday so we thankfully were not involved in all that.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers wishing you safe return home. All that driving after a wonderful vacation. Be careful! 
 @Sharon in AZ a very happy Birthday to your DH

Be safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

Charlene, I'm glad the ship waited to sail for some of the delayed flights.  I hope everyone can catch up with the ship today or in Sydney.

1 hour ago, tjcox9 said:

In November 2013, we visited Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia on a Pacific crossing after visiting New Zealand. I don't have a lot of pix, but will share a few.

The beach and some shade.......
Easo.thumb.JPG.657dda6a80f23d838674c599390d649c.JPG

DH in front of a colorful village shop

Easo-001.thumb.JPG.0fb730b8adcaf65849734db8381393d7.JPG

Oosterdam at anchorOosterdamanchoredinEaso.thumb.JPG.c642104d20607ab1e9e927a7c0baf1b4.JPG

Snorkeling from the beach

SnorkelinginEaso-002.thumb.JPG.9532aeb7bd0cd1845ca7151ad290c066.JPG

SnorkelinginEaso-010.thumb.JPG.9ca97b44ad205701cdecf50a611c36b5.JPG

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.  I love the snorkeling pictures with the vibrant colors since the coral is so close to the surface.

33 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. I am still waiting for the rains to come... a couple of light showers has been all so far. I am out of sync with the day since my morning routine was upset when the dogs got me up early and my newspaper did not come. I need to pull myself together and try to get something accomplished. Little things seem to be throwing me off my stride these days. Maybe I need another cruise.

I like borscht so would be happy with the days meal although I do try to limit beets, spinach and rhubarb... all of which I really like.

@StLouisCruisersHope you are home by now, or at least shortly. Get a good rest. @St Pete CruiserEnjoy the cruise now that you have caught up with the ship. This week has certainly shown why arriving a day or two ahead of embarkation is really necessary.... if you can manage it. I know some people can't.

Dogs are demanding another walk, so off I go. Then I need to start today's featured project... clearing out under the sink in the kitchen.

Susan

Susan, good luck with today's project.  That is the chore I dislike the most.

31 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Today is the first day of many that will be below the 80's.  Supposedly we have a small chance of rain tonight, and yet the chance of precipitation is 0% all night -- gotta love the weather apps. 

On the agenda today is grocery shopping and housecleaning, not much else.

Interesting days.  The coldest I've ever felt was when we lived in MT and it regularly hit minus 40F in the winter.  I'll pass on the meal (dill, cabbage) and pass on the drink and red wine too.  I disagree with the quote, as nobody can be perfect.  We were in Easo in January on the Grand Australia/NZ.  It was a very nice day, we took a tour to a botanical garden, a vanilla plantation and to the Cliffs of Jokin.  Photos below.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Wow on driving all night!  There's no way I would have the energy, you must be the Energizer Bunny 🙂   Safe final miles home!

Happy Birthday Craig!  @Sharon in AZ

Welcome to the Daily @vince_g!

For the Garden Club -- a lot of my photos are from our visit to the botanical gardens in Easo.  The Hibiscus -- oh my!

yellowhibiscus.jpg.970fed122bf42f05a1b0e579af1dbf67.jpg

HibiscusEaso.thumb.jpg.8d1ffa827897fc941ed977fdad8ea883.jpg

Hibiscus2.thumb.jpg.d4fa07a654d6a6e2df9ebb0c0692869a.jpg

Golden Shower Tree

GoldenShowerTreeEaso.jpg.1dfa8fe855783b275e9f73b1e843d63e.jpg

Fire on the Mountain

FireontheMountainEaso.thumb.jpg.2bcfffeec08279bc29fd4717424f6ffc.jpg

And at the Vanilla Plantation, a vanilla plant

VanillaplantEaso.jpg.7056519a775882a375d203908b7bc124.jpg

The Cliffs of Jokin from our balcony.  Our tour went there too.

CliffsofJokin.jpg.a967a7c0a367cb91a36f67574fec1ee8.jpg

A church at the top of the Cliffs of Jokin

churchattopofJokinCliffs.jpg.c3f00534f7b64274d1dc1351e953f381.jpg

Lovely views from the Cliffs of Jokin

EasoNewCaldonia.jpg.5e54973218e8d7ae0a2558e0ed51aafb.jpg

beachEaso.jpg.e15bebfe518316d3a8cdc3937e7d9c89.jpg

The beaches are gorgeous.

Easobeach.jpg.c99500a155a514d42c50ee2d1b859552.jpg

The Volendam

Volendam.jpg.201204809b4cbbc95087e29da41babe9.jpg

Carolyn, I loved seeing your pictures of Easo.  Thank you.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

I agree @Cruising-along the weather apps are easily confused. I'm listening to rain right now, but this is what Mr Weather says; maybe the little guy has his mask too high & it's covering his eyes🤷‍♀️

Screenshot_20240721_110349_Weather.thumb.jpg.68f5bb8f7be7d853c231260bfb4a3cf2.jpg

And rain start time has been pushed back to 2pm 🙄

Your flower and beach pictures are beautiful - thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. 

That temp in Antarctica is wow. I always try to be someone nice to others. I only know hearsay about pet store puppies. I will definitely celebrate National Ice Cream Day! Interesting quote. The meal sounds good for fall and winter. Pass on the drink and the wine ($$$). I haven't been to Easo. 

It's getting warmer each day, with highs in the 80's today, but at least it's not too humid. I woke up this AM at about 5:30 and it was too early to post the Cares List; the next thing I know it's 7:30! I'm still sleepy, but I think that's the meclizine. I did bake my sourdough bread this morning, using a different technique. I'll see how it cam out once cooled and sliced. Otherwise, just a quiet day, probably getting some reading done and watch a bit of golf.

@Sharon in AZ Happy Birthday to Craig!

@aliaschief Safe trip home!

@StLouisCruisers I'm sorry you had to do all that driving to get home, and wow on driving straight through. I'm sure you'll both be exhausted when you get home. 

@dfish Enjoy the brunch. 

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photo.

@smitty34877 I hope that Tana will have a bit more appetite today. Prayers for you all.

@Denise T Oh my about the car, but good that they fixed what they were responsible for for free. 

@Heartgrove Congrats on this anniversary and thank you for serving our country. Great photo!

@RMLincoln Thanks for the photos.

@St Pete Cruiser Bon Voyage! Enjoy the cruise, after this initial aggravation. Nice photos.

@marshhawk Good luck tomorrow with DH's immunotherapy and pain management appointments. Nice photos.

@Seasick Sailor Gorgeous buck photo.

@0106 Thanks for the explanation. I was a mandatory reporter due to my work.

@vince_g Welcome to the Daily!

@tjcox9 Thanks for sharing your photos.

@Nickelpenny Good luck with the grouting.

@Cruising-along Great photos. Thanks.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wow, that's a lot of rain. I hope it doesn't damage your yard. 

@kazu Thinking of you and I hope you're doing ok.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

48 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I loved seeing your pictures of Easo.  Thank you.

42 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Your flower and beach pictures are beautiful - thanks for sharing. 

26 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Great photos. Thanks.

Thank you Lenda, Elizabeth and Vanessa.  It was a great day, one of my favorites on the GANZ.  Of course any time I can go to beautiful gardens and beaches is a good day!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Brunch was lovely!  At first we had the place to ourselves, but eventually two other tables joined us.  I guess they had moved all the people that were there before us to the inside because it was raining.  The rain had stopped and sun was coming out when we got there.  These are some of the flowers in the courtyard where brunch is served.

IMG_3463.thumb.JPG.084c55ce37b88e969f14448477449d59.JPG

IMG_3466.thumb.JPG.03dde1a153c363279f74a0205500c530.JPG

That second bunch would go well with our house.  

Not to be outdone by @grapau27 Graham, here is brunch.  Sue had the smoked brisket frittata and I had the courtyard benedict.  

IMG_3465.thumb.JPG.165aec436764dc8bab21cc428116c29f.JPG

IMG_3464.thumb.JPG.9ecdaccde99c7a038c393cf91aa89b40.JPG

3 hours ago, vince_g said:

Hi dfish, 

I've been battling kidney stones for about 40 years now.  Yes, beets are very high in oxalates, so best to avoid. All the things that are good for us seem to be high in oxalate

Welcome to the daily, Vince!  My doctor prescribed a small dose of hydrochlorothiazide for me as that tends to prevent kidney stones from forming.  My grandmother had a kidney removed because of having so many kidney stones.  They are really vicious.  

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from the Zuiderdam

Beautiful day here in Bar Harbor. We are waiting for open tendering to go ashore. We have no set plans so we are letting the crowd go first. 
    Many passengers and staff missed the ship. We finally left Boston at 7:30 last nite waiting a few flights. some are boarding today and others in Sydney. What a nightmare for all of them. We flew up on Thursday so we thankfully were not involved in all that.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers wishing you safe return home. All that driving after a wonderful vacation. Be careful! 
 @Sharon in AZ a very happy Birthday to your DH

Be safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

Glad you are enjoying the Zuiderdam.  I feel for all the people who were caught in this mess.  Hopefully they will all make it onboard either in Bar Harbor or in Sydney.  

@StLouisCruisers Let us know when you make it home safely.  We will be worried until we hear from you.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Unfortunately, cruise ships are presently bypassing New Caledonia, due to the ongoing unrest (riots).

Pro-France Backès faces backlash over her New Caledonia partition statements | RNZ News

We are currently booked on Noordam's 36-Day South Pacific Crossing for March 2026, which is scheduled to make a stop at Easo. It's almost 2 years away, so hopefully things quiet down by then.🤠

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

58 minutes ago, dfish said:

Brunch was lovely!  At first we had the place to ourselves, but eventually two other tables joined us.  I guess they had moved all the people that were there before us to the inside because it was raining.  The rain had stopped and sun was coming out when we got there.  These are some of the flowers in the courtyard where brunch is served.

IMG_3463.thumb.JPG.084c55ce37b88e969f14448477449d59.JPG

IMG_3466.thumb.JPG.03dde1a153c363279f74a0205500c530.JPG

That second bunch would go well with our house.  

Not to be outdone by @grapau27 Graham, here is brunch.  Sue had the smoked brisket frittata and I had the courtyard benedict.  

IMG_3465.thumb.JPG.165aec436764dc8bab21cc428116c29f.JPG

IMG_3464.thumb.JPG.9ecdaccde99c7a038c393cf91aa89b40.JPG

Welcome to the daily, Vince!  My doctor prescribed a small dose of hydrochlorothiazide for me as that tends to prevent kidney stones from forming.  My grandmother had a kidney removed because of having so many kidney stones.  They are really vicious.  

Glad you are enjoying the Zuiderdam.  I feel for all the people who were caught in this mess.  Hopefully they will all make it onboard either in Bar Harbor or in Sydney.  

@StLouisCruisers Let us know when you make it home safely.  We will be worried until we hear from you.

Food looks lovely Debbie.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I think the rain has finally stopped for now.  I see sun and blue sky with just a few clouds.  The final total on the fancy rain gauge is 2.75 inches.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. 

That temp in Antarctica is wow. I always try to be someone nice to others. I only know hearsay about pet store puppies. I will definitely celebrate National Ice Cream Day! Interesting quote. The meal sounds good for fall and winter. Pass on the drink and the wine ($$$). I haven't been to Easo. 

It's getting warmer each day, with highs in the 80's today, but at least it's not too humid. I woke up this AM at about 5:30 and it was too early to post the Cares List; the next thing I know it's 7:30! I'm still sleepy, but I think that's the meclizine. I did bake my sourdough bread this morning, using a different technique. I'll see how it cam out once cooled and sliced. Otherwise, just a quiet day, probably getting some reading done and watch a bit of golf.

@Sharon in AZ Happy Birthday to Craig!

@aliaschief Safe trip home!

@StLouisCruisers I'm sorry you had to do all that driving to get home, and wow on driving straight through. I'm sure you'll both be exhausted when you get home. 

@dfish Enjoy the brunch. 

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photo.

@smitty34877 I hope that Tana will have a bit more appetite today. Prayers for you all.

@Denise T Oh my about the car, but good that they fixed what they were responsible for for free. 

@Heartgrove Congrats on this anniversary and thank you for serving our country. Great photo!

@RMLincoln Thanks for the photos.

@St Pete Cruiser Bon Voyage! Enjoy the cruise, after this initial aggravation. Nice photos.

@marshhawk Good luck tomorrow with DH's immunotherapy and pain management appointments. Nice photos.

@Seasick Sailor Gorgeous buck photo.

@0106 Thanks for the explanation. I was a mandatory reporter due to my work.

@vince_g Welcome to the Daily!

@tjcox9 Thanks for sharing your photos.

@Nickelpenny Good luck with the grouting.

@Cruising-along Great photos. Thanks.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wow, that's a lot of rain. I hope it doesn't damage your yard. 

@kazu Thinking of you and I hope you're doing ok.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I don't think there was any damage to the yard.  Our ground is pretty hard and a lot of the rain ran off.  We needed rain, and occasionally we get really hard rains like this.

34 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Not sure how it was missed but Easo was our destinationation of the day November 14, 2021:

Roy

Roy, I'm stumped about how Easo was missed.  After reading your post, I did another search, and the November 14, 2021, FR/D did not appear.  Thanks to your posting the date, I was finally able to locate the link.  I had searched for Easo yesterday and a couple of times today.  Thanks for letting us know the date because after three or four searches, I'd given up.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I wasn’t at all sleepy last night so we drove all night. We had stopped at a hotel and it was full so we just decided to go further. I actually drove a majority of the late night hours. DH was pretty tired from battling the incessant jams yesterday so he rested. We’re switching drivers now for the final 150 miles. 

As for the port today I don’t have my notes for today on me. They’re in DH’s laptop sleeve buried in a suitcase. It’s possible it’s new or maybe not. I haven’t been there before. If Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser can find some links I’m sure she can post them for you. I’ll check in again later today. Have a great Sunday!

Take care.

I hope you are both home safe now.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Happy Sunday!  We were gone for the last 2 days, I'm hoping all of the travel issues get solved.  I'll say No to the meal of the day.  Yes to the Brandy Old Fashioned.  Interesting history!  I'll take it with Brandy, but our son-in-law who is the bartender for our gatherings uses bourbon.  He also uses Fresca, I prefer sweet soda😄.  Fruit vs. olives is another debate here! 

We had a special church service today.  Our old, historic church was decommissioned.  We're adding on the our newer building now.  We used a liturgy from the "olden" days for the service...brought back lots of memories.  

Haven't been to the port, but thanks for the pictures.  I'm saying prayers for all who need them and cheers for the rest, especially those who are starting cruises!

Have a good afternoon, Karen

I've been trying to looks at winter cruises...HAL website is not working...

Edited by quilty964
  • Like 22

38 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I think the rain has finally stopped for now.  I see sun and blue sky with just a few clouds.  The final total on the fancy rain gauge is 2.75 inches.

Vanessa, I don't think there was any damage to the yard.  Our ground is pretty hard and a lot of the rain ran off.  We needed rain, and occasionally we get really hard rains like this...

I'm sure not asking for flooding, but I'd gladly accept the rain if you'd kindly send it our way when you're done with it. What we've gotten is really no more than spittle (maybe 1/4") and certainly will not make a dent in the cracks 🫠

Glad it looked worse than it was and you did not have damage. ⛈️

• Like 13