The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 24th, 2024

Good morning from a cloudy and humid central Texas.  I could tell it was humid when I opened the blinds and could not see out.  It is 74F and feels like 74F with 97% humidity and a dew point of 73F.  We have a 2mph breeze from the WNW.  Our predicted high is 89F with no chance of rain.  We haven't had any rain since the 1/10 inch we received early yesterday morning.  Now, the long range forecast has a 33% chance of rain Friday morning, and no rain afterwards.  We actually saw the sun for a few hours yesterday afternoon.

All my cousins are distant cousins with whom we don't have contact.  I try to carve out some time each day for self care, but don't always succeed.  It's been a while since we did a drive through breakfast, and right now, it's too humid to be comfortable eating in the car.

I also remember Sam Levenson from various panel shows in the 50s and early 60s.  The quote is funny, but I doubt if many need someone to lead them into temptation.

The second soup looks good, and I like Debbie's @dfish suggestion to not add all the vegetables the first day.  My father enjoyed whiskey sours, but I never liked them.  The wine sounds good, but we've found a good Prosecco at a lower price, and have a bottle in the refrigerator.

We have not been to Red Bay.

A good day for France and Canada in 1534 when Jacques Cartier landed in Canada.  The 1911 discovery of Machu Picchu by Hiram Bingham gave us a better understanding of the Inca civilization.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for sharing the pictures of Clement John and Declan George, two cute little boys.  

@dobiemom  Marcia, I would not call the bathroom work a little repair job.  Glad your DH is able to do the work.

@cunnorl  I hope you all enjoy the day in Red Bay, Charlene, and that your DD will enjoy seeing the Labradors.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope something can be done soon to help your DB.  Is switching doctors a possibility?

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope you can get some help at the Urgent Care, and that it is not anything serious.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm sorry your DGD has an ear infection, and I hope she is well soon.  If you are prone to allergies, you might consider adding an electrostatic filter to the new system.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad you made it up and down the stairs yesterday without too much pain.  We've found a lot of uses for the grabbers DH got in rehab, but never thought about using one to play fetch with a dog,  Very clever.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, enjoy your trip with your DGS, DDIL and DGD this weekend.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad the leg pain is gone.  I'm sorry about the right hip.  If the pain is on the outside, it could be the sciatic nerve where it passes through a bursa.  DH's hip pain was the sciatic nerve which was irritated by the spinal stenosis, and steroid shots in the bursa helped for years.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I hope the bloodwork shows no surprises.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, great news that your DH had very low pressure readings the past to days.  Enjoy your lunch with the Maryland friend.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri. I hope all goes well with your DH's appointment today, and that you can get lunch while you are out.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, best wishes for Bonnie at her appointment today.

@marshhawk  Anne, I hope today is a better day, and good for you taking charge of your DH's medications.  Glad you are getting more sleep even if it's on the sofa.  HUGS!  Great pictures, too.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm sorry your arthritis in the hips and knees are causing you so much pain.

It looks like the sun is trying to break through the clouds.  ☀️

448880847_122140589258247919_5378809782904774320_n.jpg.bd9bf9cba6cb0e6875910b2e7a29d712.jpg

449601172_460248853567533_6730458392635818661_n.jpg.b65d5fb06cfcb350d141c425785dada9.jpg

451789468_122127910754302343_5742483487503455382_n.jpg.9540c4c4ab9f82b9ddfb9d0f656ec816.jpg

451987507_473055022212133_630749105417810130_n.jpg.613fd981364097b9b85b14602a4e4bc0.jpg

452019592_122156645168166878_6942864814574149513_n.jpg.16050b2f2548adc5c30b4c575195460a.jpg

452062738_467466552588100_7218966682503635214_n.jpg.d51ccbedc9dae72aabe25ef85b7f3445.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 17

Today's sunrise is from my 2010 Blount cruise from Rhode Island to Quebec.On July 24 we visited Bras D'or  in Nova Scotia.

IMG_2305.thumb.JPG.40d13a212907d0d372d7e8722bb1d385.JPG

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

They diagnosed my issue as Torticollis, a tightening of the neck muscles.  They suggested ibuprofen and are prescribing a muscle relaxer.

On the happier side my PSA is back from my oncology visit Monday

22 Jan 5.35

26 Feb 4.13

19 Apr 2.27

22 Jul 0.68:

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

They diagnosed my issue as Torticollis, a tightening of the neck muscles.  They suggested ibuprofen and are prescribing a muscle relaxer.

22 Jan 5.35

26 Feb 4.13

19 Apr 2.27

22 Jul 0.68:

Roy, I hope the muscle relaxer and ibuprofen help the torticollis.  Great news on your PSA levels.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

22 Jan 5.35

26 Feb 4.13

19 Apr 2.27

22 Jul 0.68:

Glad a diagnosis was found and the meds help.  
Great news on you PSA. 👏

• Like 21

@rafinmd I hope the pain can be resolved, keep us updated on your trip to Urgent Care.  And if you can, sneak a nap in today.

Ok, I'm done whining!  There is nothing but to do the right thing around home. I wish the day was a few hours longer to get things done, but to quote my boss from the 80's, All you can do, is all you can do, and all you can do is enough.

Off to learn about my new campaign, I love you all!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Happy Wednesday, it's not too bad outside right now.  It does feel a bit humid.  Haven't been to the port, never did make the cabbage soup recipes, but I do enjoy lots of vegetables.  Corn should be ready here soon-another favorite time of summer.  One of my tomato plants is having a problem, they're turning rotten...not sure why.  We don't see our cousins as much as we used to...should try to get together more often.  

@StLouisCruisersCongrats to your family!  The twins are adorable!  Thanks for sharing your travel photos! 

@dobiemomThat does not sound like a "little" job!  

@JazzyVHoping your vertigo can be helped! 

@grapau27Thanks for sharing the info and your lunch pictures!  

@cunnorlEnjoy your day!  Hoping your DD enjoys the labradors! 

@rafinmdHoping your neck feels better soon.  Good news re: your PSA.

@aliaschiefHoping your DGD feels better soon! 

@marshhawkHugs to your and your DH.  Love your happy place photos! 

Have a good day, Karen

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

22 Jan 5.35

26 Feb 4.13

19 Apr 2.27

22 Jul 0.68:

Excellent PSA results Roy.

Interesting they have prescribed an anti inflammatory Ibuprofen especially if you are on any heart medication as the reason my Arthritis is so painful is because Ibuprofen is the main arthritis treatment but I was told I could not take Ibuprofen with my heart medication after my heart attack over 4 and a half years ago.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

ScreenShot2024-07-24at07_11_42.png.5a8a4f3cd6239e6887965bfc0b376185.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  As my father is the oldest of 13, I have tons and tons of cousins who I have not seen in eons and really have no idea how many I have.  Today I will practice self care by having nothing planned and I rarely go through drive-thus as I don't really eat fast food.  Funny quote, soup would be ok but not today, no on the drink, yes on the wine and I have never been to Red Bay.  Very interesting days in history.

They had been predicting today's weather as a humdinger with heavy rain, damaging winds and hail and flash flooding this afternoon but we will see.  We do have a wind and dust advisory for this evening though. Presently it is a nice 85F with the humidity only at 37%.  Nice start to the day.

I surprised myself with my attempt at the artisan sourdough bread.  I think it came out well.  While I love to cook, anything baked has always been a challenge for me.  I think it is because it is more of an exact science and I am a more "taste and then adjust as needed" cook.  But here was the result:

IMG_8118.thumb.jpg.07cbd820910b1eec81178a799629b48f.jpg

IMG_8119.thumb.JPG.27930147b7356b5b2b001c043f1150cd.JPG

IMG_8121.thumb.JPG.1d736086f967df41ad734ebb31ac8cfb.JPG

Cheers for those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent PSA results Roy.

Interesting they have prescribed an anti inflammatory Ibuprofen especially if you are on any heart medication as the reason my Arthritis is so painful is because Ibuprofen is the main arthritis treatment but I was told I could not take Ibuprofen with my heart medication after my heart attack over 4 and a half years ago.

Same for DH after his heart attack, so he lives w/some aches & pains that he used to be able to get rid of w/ibuprofen. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Same for DH after his heart attack, so he lives w/some aches & pains that he used to be able to get rid of w/ibuprofen. 

Maybe a valve issue is different from a hart attack.

Roy

• Like 16

Good morning. Sunny and dry. While we may get a few very scattered showers, it looks like this dry run will last for a week or so. Sprinklers are back on.

I like the soups, but will wait until the weather cools. Highs now are in the mid-80's but the nights go down into the 50's and make for good sleeping. Just wish I could sleep a bit longer in the mornings but will take what I get.

I only had one first cousin and I never met him. However, I have lots of more distant cousins, some of whom are interested in family history and we communicate sporadically.

Little news from here. I am slowly clearing things, sorting our drawers and finding boxes in my storeroom that I did not know were there and I have obviously not missed the contents. Tells me I still have a lot of stuff to let go.

@StLouisCruisersLovely pics of the twins... glad they arrived safely. @kazuIvan is a smart dog... glad he with you and that you can use the grabber (one of the greatest inventions for us as we get older) to play fetch.

Off to pick up some bread and dog food and then, back to work.... or maybe reading.

Best wishes to all....

Susan

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

Another sunny day, up to about 72F.  Perfect IMO.

I have 14 first cousins, 12 still living.  The youngest of my cousins was my maid of honor, and I was hers at her wedding.  As the 2 youngest cousins, we've been close all our lives, but since they moved to AZ we don't see each other often although we stay in touch.  

I'll pass on the drink, would try the wine.  Neither of us are fans of soup, so will pass on the meal.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers the twins are adorable and look so healthy!  Six pounds each, wow! Thank you for sharing the photos.

Roy @rafinmd I hope the ibuprofen and muscle relaxer help with the pain -- great news about the PSA numbers!  Congratulations!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you, everyone for all the news, recipes, and other good stuff.  Welcome to the world,  boy twins!  When DD and I went to Weight Watchers, we had that soup on a regular basis, I think it was "free" - we could eat as much of it as we wanted.  But I'm not really a soup lover.  We are very smoky here today, just as well we shut up the house last night and put on the heat pump.  There is an out-of-control fire just west of us in Sooke, also Washington State is sharing some of its smoke with us.  In the east I believe has been raining, why can't they share some of that?!  So far in July, we've had no rain at all.  

I have many cousins, DD is in touch with most of them, and now, the new Canadian/American/Mexican?  fifth cousin, she is my generation, but younger than DD.  I  think it's fifth - our great, great, great grandparents were siblings.  She has brothers, so DD wants to get them to test.

Roy, a sore/stiff neck is miserable!  But the PSA is good news.  Feel better soon.  And, Annie, you have a big worry with your DH, hope things go smoothly for the foreseeable future.  And Terry, prayers for you and Tana.   Jacqui, take it slowly, and teach Ivan to fetch!  

I've only been to Labrador once, as a teenager, I think it was Goose Bay, and we had an emergency landing there on a flight to Europe.  We had to get off the plane and one man had a heart attack it was so cold.  I can't remember the time of year, but we were not dressed for it!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Maybe a valve issue is different from a hart attack.

Roy

It is Ibuprofen affecting heart medication.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thanks all!  Hope to get to Labrador one day, we loved Newfoundland.  The soup looks great but not in today’s heat. 

@RMLincoln yay on the pressure readings!  
@rafinmd awesome PSA levels!  Sorry about the neck issues!  Seems like you and others  are playing whack a mole! 
@kazu gotta love the grabber for fetch! 
@marshhawk good idea on the pill cutting!  Love your resilience! 
We’re still in extreme heat, unsafe smoke levels, and water restrictions.  Never what we think of when we think of summer.  and tornado warnings near our trailer so we’ll hang at home.  

Last nights sunset 

IMG_1789.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

22 Jan 5.35

26 Feb 4.13

19 Apr 2.27

22 Jul 0.68:

Excellent progression in your PSA numbers.  I hope you start feeling less neck pain very quickly.

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@rafinmd I hope the pain can be resolved, keep us updated on your trip to Urgent Care.  And if you can, sneak a nap in today.

Ok, I'm done whining!  There is nothing but to do the right thing around home. I wish the day was a few hours longer to get things done, but to quote my boss from the 80's, All you can do, is all you can do, and all you can do is enough.

Off to learn about my new campaign, I love you all!

Hugs to you as you deal with all the details in your and Chuck's life now. 🤗

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Wednesday. I actually slept well last night. Yay!

I have so many cousins, my DM was one of 13 siblings, so lots of relatives. They are scattered around Colorado where I grew up, Tucson where I live now, and Washington state where two brothers moved. I keep in touch with some cousins on FB. 

I don’t go through many drive throughs. I’ll pass on the drink and wine, although I like Prosecco I wouldn’t pay that much for a bottle. Pass on the soup — not a big soup fan except for chowder and split pea. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, congratulations to your family on the birth of the twins!  How special and adorable they are!!

Hugs to Jacqui @kazu and Annie @marshhawk. Lots on your plates right now. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Sadly no cousins or any relatives still living. I'll have to think of something to do for myself as self care today. It's been a while since I went through a food drive-thru, except after one of BFF's appointments, as he wanted to do that. Funny quote. Maybe for the soup, and yes to a whiskey sour and wine. I have not been to Red Bay (the biting bugs sound yucky). 2 good days in history.

It's warm, humid and cloudy here; perhaps showers later. I had my mammogram this AM. The nurse said they're caught up on readings, so I might have my results this afternoon in the online chart. After I came home I called to set up my MRI and vascular US. Since my facilities of choice were booked up until September, I'm going to go elsewhere and will need the GPS, even though it's only about 12 miles away. The PCP's maneuver was successful yesterday, but my symptoms are back today. I just realized my after visit summary had instructions for something I can do at home. I will do that later and also talk to my physiotherapist on Friday when I go to PT, to get better instruction on how to perform the maneuver. This afternoon will just be doing things around the house.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for sharing photos of the adorable twins Clement and Declan! Congrats to the family and I'm glad all are doing well. Their weights are unusual for twins, I think. Thanks for the Red Bay photos; it looks quaint and charming (except for the biting bugs). How is Ren doing?

@grapau27 Happy Birthday to your cousin Yvonne. Nice lunch. I can relate to the stairs issue; I was going up on all fours when I had the bad nerve pain in my leg.

@rafinmd I hope you can find a way to get comfortable, so you can sleep. Maybe a heating pad to the neck? Great news on the low PSA level!

@aliaschief I'm sorry to hear that DGD has otitis media. I hope she's not in too much pain. Around here getting air ducts cleaned is advertised all the time; I have flexible ducts (since I have hot water heat) and worry about them being damaged, so I haven't done it and I don't run the AC that much. I hope your derm biopsies turn out ok.

@smitty34877 I hope Tana will eat more of the bean and pasta soup today.

@kazu It sounds like you've made some progress. I laughed at you being a good doobie, as I haven't heard that term in a long time. I hope you can start to get better sleep.

@cruising sister Safe travels for you and DGS tomorrow.

@dfish I'm glad you are not having pain in the leg. 

@RMLincoln Great news about DH's eye pressures! Enjoy your meeting with your MD friend.

@Cruzin Terri I hope no issues with Jim's podiatry appointment and I hope you get to have lunch in Hilton Head.

@St Pete Cruiser I'm glad you're having a good cruise. Thanks for the Cornerbrook photos. 

@marshhawk Do you think DH's right foot may have an infection? If it doesn't improve, I hope you can convince him to get it looked at. Prayers for you as you deal with all the issues. And nice photos.

@Nickelpenny You did well with your baking. The bread has a nice crumb, which can be hard to get. Especially in this hot weather, it's easy to overproof the dough. I like the precision of baking, and don't do well with the taste and adjust cooking.

@bennybear Ugh on the smoke levels and tornado warnings. Sadly the smoke makes for a gorgeous sunset.

@puppycanducruise I'll take a cookie! 👋

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Vanessa @JazzyV you reminded me to text Ren and see how he's doing this week.  I think he's taking it pretty easy and sleeping the proper way and all.  

I have a photo taken today of Clement and Declan snuggling on Mama.  They've had lots of tests today and all seems to be just fine.  We're very thankful for that!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

DD says won't it be fun to watch them grow up and see how identical they really are?  I agree!  Big sister Elliott Rose met them this morning too.  She will be 2 in October.  These new parents sure have their hands full now, but are beyond excited and grateful they were given these blessings.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5