The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 1st, 2024

Today is International Alberino Day, International Can-It-Forward Day, and Lammas Day (Merry Loafmas)

One man is as good as another until he has written a book. - Benjamin Jowett

Meal Suggestion for today - Everyone's Favorite Taco Soup
Drink of the Day - Alize Passion
Wine of the Day - 2021 Riesling, Saar Fass 16 [16 22], Weingut Peter Lauer, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Arica, Chile

Today in History:
1774 English chemist Joseph Priestley discovers oxygen by isolating it in its gaseous state
1981 Music Television is launched

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0000-0000

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 05:30 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Invergordon, Scotland 0700-1600

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 0800-1700

Oosterdam

Messina, Sicily Italy 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Corner Brook, Newfoundland

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska eta 08-02

Zuiderdam

Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn 07:00 - 16:00

0801Alaska.thumb.png.ba517e4f340cdafd0b85cc639a522df5.png

0801Atlantic.thumb.png.1e16983b34cedc09612ad8278db6f01d.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 24

Posted (edited)

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the FR&D    I like all 3 of today’s days..    Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

Interesting quote by a Jowett...

I visited Arica just once, Crystal Symphony in 2016.

An great day in scientific history..

I’ll pass on the meal...  My alternative is Fruit Pallet des Artiste, Iced Melon Bisque and Grilled Ginger Chicken Breast with Mango Lime Relish, as served on MS Prinsendam August 1 2011..

A hot one today.  Will try to be outside as little as possible but will be out for AV practice for church this evening.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 35

Rabbit   Rabbit    White Rabbit

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another hot, humid day here. 

Interesting days to celebrate.  It's also Emancipation Day in Canada, it marks the day in 1834 that the Slavery Abolition Act came into effect across the British Empire.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, but not for today.  I'll save recipes until a cooler day.  Not sure about the drink, but I'm sure the wine will be wonderful.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.  Stay cool.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!  🐇 Good morning friends!  Weather today will be scorching in north central Georgia.  Temp now is 73 with 96% humidity.  Later it will be 96F and sunny.  With this weather I wouldn’t rule out a thunderstorm popping up.  We dumped .85 inches of rain yesterday.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the location maps.  Interesting day recognizing grapes, canning vegetables and holidays.  Interesting idea for a quote.  The taco soup sounds different.  Not sure about the drink and wine.  I guess somebody needed to discover oxygen and that was quite a long time ago. I remember the old days of MTV.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports today.

Prayers were said on the treadmill this morning already and I’m pretty sure I didn’t forget anyone.  Our Care list people here on the Daily especially Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, Tana, Joy’s @Seasick Sailor DS Bonnie, Ann’s @Vict0riann DH Pat, Jacqui @kazu, Nancy’s @ottahand7 DB, Debbie @dfish, Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Terri @Cruzin Terri, and Maureen’s @RMLincolnDH Richard at his appointment today.  Still hoping we hear from Melisa @HAL Sailer and how her DH is faring.  Also my DB, twin sister, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members in danger at all times in the region.  Congrats to everyone celebrating special events and cruising!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list updating each day for us.

The port today is Arica, Chile which is another new port for us to showcase.  I don’t remember ever visiting Arica so let’s see what you have to show us.  No links and no photos from me.

I’m wishing someone would compensate us for our Delta flight cancellation, purchased through Flight Ease.  I’ve heard nothing from Guest Services, or Flight Ease inquiries, and Delta says they can’t help us with an amount for a credit because the tickets were purchased through a third party.  We must contact them!  But like I said no replies, and a phone call to Flight Ease led to a young person in another country who knew nothing.  It’s a vicious circle.  I may consider only buying tickets from the airlines in the future.

Try to make this Thursday one of your best days of the week.  Meanwhile stay safe and keep well!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Hello all.

I got my computer back late yesterday.  I will try to catch up today and post more later.

I do have an appointment today so I don’t know how much time I will have. 

Glad to be back.

Terri

• Like 30

Rabbit 🐇 Rabbit 🐇 White Rabbit 🐇.

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days.

Never been to today's port.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240801_113159.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Alize Passion cocktail:

Introducing the "Alize Passion" cocktail - a tantalizing and vibrant libation that captures the essence of passion in every sip. This cocktail is a seductive fusion of Alize Passion liqueur, vodka, and a splash of citrus, creating an exhilarating taste experience that's as alluring as it is refreshing. With its radiant coral hue and a medley of flavors that dance on the palate, the Alize Passion cocktail is the ideal choice for those seeking a seductive and visually captivating journey in mixology. Whether savored during a romantic evening or as a spirited celebration, this concoction promises a journey of delightful flavors that ignite the passion within.

Ingredients:

1 oz. Vodka
.25 oz. lime juice
.25 oz. simple syrup
1 1/2 oz. alize passion

Directions:

In a shaker with ice cubes pour in the Alize Passion liqueur, vodka, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup.
Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to combine the ingredients and chill the mixture.
Strain the cocktail into a chilled martini or rocks glass and garnish with a lime wheel or twist for a citrusy touch(optional).

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 6.33.36 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 18

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

77 this AM with a high of 93 and a chance of PM showers.

Interesting days.

I don’t know how to take the quote, is a man better or worse after he writes a book.

Pass on Taco Soup.

There’s a tropical depression out in the Atlantic heading towards Florida and it looks like it will be basically a rain event with a slight chance of further development. 
Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DH seeing the eye doctor today

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck battling cancer

Marshhawk as caretaker for DH Chuck with physical & mental decline

Vict0riann’s DH Pat with shortness of breath, heart valve issues

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish post nerve ablation; able to walk longer, still some pain

Rafinmd’s improved sleeping and less neck pain

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, good eye pressures this week

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for ski ww (Rotterdam Aug 3 to Aug 17) 14 Night Britain, Scotland & Ireland

3 days for MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore Aug 4 to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 20
  • Thanks 19

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Very hot today. High of 95 expected. Back to the heat. Yuck. 

Busy with clients and my class today. 69 days until I cruise. My nephew's wedding is next month, and I need to go shopping for an outfit to wear. Nothing much else going on. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Pin by Valerie Anderson on Cats in 2020 | Thursday meme, Thursday humor ...

• Like 27

Good morning and thanks for the Daily and maps Rich.  My DS is a big time canner and I am sure she has some done already for this season, probably strawberry jam.  Thanks for the backstory on Albarino Graham, I have enjoyed some good ones.  An opinion quote.   Too hot for Taco soup, I think I would try the cocktail but would love a Riesling with dinner (BLTs).  I have not been to Arica. 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Thanks for the prayers for my DB @StLouisCruisers.  Prayers for Chuck and Annie as they battle through challenges each day.  Prayers for Tana and Terry.  Prayers for @Vict0riann DH.  Thinking of you Jacqui as you work so hard to prepare for your lifetime move. Prayers for your DB Sandi and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own,  Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

It is supposed to be cloudy today so it should remain somewhat cooler. We are out of bait so if we want to fish in perfect conditions someone will need to drive to the little town to get bait.  Have a lovely day!  Nancy 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!!  Happy August!!!

I have to do some more learning, and thank you @grapau27 for my first lesson, about the days.  They just don't roll off my tongue with complete understanding or meaning!  But, I'm getting there.  Is it wine, canning (like veggies and fruit, etc), and a pagan holiday??? 

I do love Taco Soup and make it often -- yet not normally in the summer...  I look forward to learning a new variation!  The Alize Passion sounds tasty!  And I do love a Riesling!  And photos of Chile!!!

Thank you for the Daily!!  

• Like 25

Good morning. Going to be  another hot day with a possible thunderstorm.

Was introduced to Albariño wine in Spain last year. Very nice.

i’m already so sick of repetitive political ads over and over. No substance of what they offer just bashing each other.

Got a bit of small packing and a couple of chores today before our mini trip to PA. Hoping we can make it to our church small group tonight and then early to bed for the 5:30 AM short drive to airport.

Where’s Waldo? More important where is Redneck Bob?

Have a great safe and healthier August. Thanks to all who contribute. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.8173a291f70de530024b1728b5fb870c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.173b87eba2c55f6f1bc666b9b28d0ecc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9c4ed999b69752951b4f4c011c344cc6.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Haha 19

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A lovely morning after a hot & humid one yesterday. Even the strong breeze barely helped. It did keep the afternoon storms away, though. So I really enjoyed the pool. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Glad that your sleep solution is helping. 

Gym, manicure, Bindi walks, chores and hopefully some pool time. Should keep me busy. 

IMG_3218.jpeg.3a175d4e810f2a0574b22b39fccf7d4d.jpeg

IMG_3219.jpeg.22cb0ed5b8b328c0c11ff7a0207ac20e.jpeg

IMG_3222.jpeg.42b17b7602edbf98645a84589a90e1b4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that you have a good day. You and Terry deserve a BORING day!

Chuck praying that you find relief for your pain. You and Annie also deserve a BORING day!

@RMLincoln Maureen hope all goes well at Richard’s appointment with the eye doctor. 

Prayers for our caregivers. May they take care of themselves too. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Jacqui - bravo for your progress, in spite of what you are dealing with. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2021 Riesling, Saar Fass 16 [16 22], Weingut Peter Lauer, Mosel

Another fairly elusive German Riesling - unless you live in Europe. Too bad because it is priced to try with online prices starting at $12.21.

Distributor notes

A forward, juicy wine, fresh and ripe, with cool grassy green fruit balanced by gentle slaty flavours on a finish that is much longer than you’d expect at this level. One of the most accessible and compelling estate Rieslings we offer. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Good Morning! I’ll celebrate “can-it -forward “ day.  I inherited my grandmother’s canning equipment.  Last week, I picked some white peaches which were always her favorite.  Since they are now all ripe, I may just have to can some of them. (Or I might get lazy and freeze them.)IMG_1702.thumb.jpeg.fe32e5cb1dbad2586d5823fbd3a66507.jpeg

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I’m wishing someone would compensate us for our Delta flight cancellation, purchased through Flight Ease.

This is concerning.  I always use FE for international travel.  Have you contacted your PCC or TA for assistance?

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites! Busy day today!  Walk dog, start work at 9:30 for two hours for Orlando, go pay  bills, come back work 3 hours for LA, take an hour off, and then work 3 hours for Orlando.  I am off Friday, yay~ but have a mammogram at 9:30 am in midtown  Then I'm off . 

I was confused yesterday, thought we had lung doc, it was DH's follow up for scheduling surgery for stent replacement.   We need to schedule an ultrasound on his legs to see if the doc can use a vein from DH's body, or if they have to use plastic.  It's a 3-4 hour surgery with several days in the hospital, he is not looking forward to it, and I asked the doc to let us talk to the oncologist before scheduling the surgery.  Each time the docs put DH under anesthesia, he loses more memory and becomes more confused.  He signed the paperwork for the surgery, but when the doc asked him to sign for taking blood prior to surgery in case they need it, DH shut down. So I looked at the doc and told him to give DH a minute, the doc said , "No rush" we cant do the surgery next week.  DH was wearing a shirt from Alaska, and the doc asked him, if he was from there.  DH said no, he got the shirt when we cruised.  The doc lit up, he's cruising Alaska next week.  I asked him where he was going, and he said he thought it was Saskatoon.   Ummm....I said maybe Skagway?  Yes, that's it.   Newbies, book a cruise and plan nothing!  Not even sure where they are going.  

And then I said to DH, hon, are you going to sign page two about them getting blood.?  And he signed it, the doc told us to schedule the ultrasound when we left, but he had not entered it in the computer, so the guy at check out couldn't order it.  So now I have to call them, to get them to schedule.  Most unlovable bunch of idiots, all in one office.

@StLouisCruisersThank you for the information on that lighthouse picture.  We cruised by it when we were having a special seafood dinner up on the Lido, so I had no one to ask at the time, and it reminded me of the Earthsea Trilogy.

image.thumb.jpeg.061b0ec98d4225fffca4bf5b5c46d1c0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.35c60f48a310b551bb07d4d7b73e6014.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.58b6de61b0dc26a5923cc01990ab1320.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7adc9ecbfc69b7da0805c0a6d080eaec.jpeg

Juneau.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.

Good morning, everyone!

No pain this morning in the left leg, so I take that as a good sign.  I've got yoga today and we're going downtown for River Days this evening.  I'm not sure what that entails, but we will find out.  We enjoyed the steak and chimichurri last night.  We have enough left over for another meal.  

We're still debating over the Med cruises for the solar eclipse.  I'm less certain that I need to do one to maintain my credentials.  That is a lot of money for 4 minutes.  We've got till tomorrow to decide.

Today's meal sounds tasty, but no way I am heating up the house making it during this heat wave.  It will have to wait until fall.  It is a little high in carbs for me.  Taco Soup 1

TacoSoup1.jpg.e3f8d92ac623818cf1d0deba14fd584f.jpg

Here is the Pioneer Woman's take on it.  It has a bit lower carb count.  Taco Soup 2

tacosoup2.thumb.png.cfa6c0be24a7e2d4e3fb64b3fcc89ef5.png

And here's one that uses ground turkey instead of beef.  Taco Soup 3

tacosoup3.thumb.jpg.8f2f9c9e57505e4a4dc73b53228ea37f.jpg

As always, adjust seasonings to fit your palate and leave out the stuff you don't like.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Rabbit 🐰 Rabbit 🐰 White Rabbit 🐇

Can you believe it’s August? July just zoomed by. My cruise month is here!

Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information, and thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them.  Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations.

• Like 24

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Good Morning! I’ll celebrate “can-it -forward “ day.  I inherited my grandmother’s canning equipment.  Last week, I picked some white peaches which were always her favorite.  Since they are now all ripe, I may just have to can some of them. (Or I might get lazy and freeze them.)IMG_1702.thumb.jpeg.fe32e5cb1dbad2586d5823fbd3a66507.jpeg

This is concerning.  I always use FE for international travel.  Have you contacted your PCC or TA for assistance?

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Tina, no we haven't involved our TA.  She of course had little to do with our flights except taking the payment from us when we made the final payment.  I'm afraid she'd just confuse the matter.  But if necessary we will talk to her.  She usually calls the World Cruise desk and has them handle the tough problems.  Like when we were on the Zuiderdam, we didn't receive our CCL shareholder OBC for the second cruise.  Guest Services always says they'll email Seattle.  The TA called the World Cruise desk and got it reinstated.  

I would have loved to had some e-credit on Delta yesterday when we bought our Dallas tickets. (DS will reimburse us, but still)  I'm not sure if we get full credit for the price of our Flight Ease tickets or not.  Seems like we should!  Delta states:  "We are unable to determine your eCredit value because it was booked through a third-party travel agency.  Please contact your travel agency directly for assistance."  Well the third party is Flight Ease and they haven't responded to our inquiries at all.  Just what people don't need after all the troubles they've been through.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 26

Good morning. It is hot and humid again. Thank goodness for air conditioning. The oxygen concentrator heats up the room as well so I tried a small fan there.
I have not done any canning but salute those who do. The quote make me laugh and the port has not been visited.

@marshhawk, I hope the oncologist will give some guidance involving surgery for Chuck. Is it a single  medical group? I had to practically jump up and down to get doctors to talk to each other when Lou needed a second surgery. Your day sounds exhausting. Sending hugs.

@cat shepard, I will gladly have a boring day here. Thanks, as always.

@RMLincoln, hope all is well at the eye doc!

Our aide has been ill for the past few days and probably won’t be back until next week. Oh my.. At least DD and DSIL are home and come down to help me with position changes and transfers. Yesterday I fell asleep sitting up in a chair in Tana’s room. It was quite a feat as the chair is not comfortable at all.

Some days are better than others I guess.
take care .

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1