The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 7th, 2024

Today is Particularly Preposterous Packaging Day, Professional Speakers Day, and Purple Heart Day

There's nothing wrong with being shallow as long as you're insightful about it. - Dennis Miller

Meal Suggestion for today - Tuscan White Bean Soup
Drink of the Day - Orange Creamsicle
Wine of the Day - 2021 Pinot Blanc, Maximin, Maximin Grünhaus, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Portimao, Portugal

Today in History:
1955 Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, the precursor to Sony, begins selling its first transistor radios in Japan
1974 Daredevil Walks a High Wire Between Twin Towers of the World Trade Center

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer

At Sea Destination Akureyri, Iceland eta 08-08

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

Juneau, Alaska 1000-2130

Oosterdam --- 21 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

Piraeus (Athens), Greece 0700-1700

Rotterdam --- 14 days, round-trip Britain, Scotland Ireland

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis 0800-2100

Volendam --- 24 days, round-trip Canada, New England Iceland

Seydisfjordur, Iceland 0800-2000

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska 0800-1300

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Zuiderdam --- 18 days, one-way from Rotterdam to Boston

At Sea Destination Cork, Ireland eta 08-08

0807Alaska.thumb.png.56b40765646acbdf30472a74eb583ed0.png

0807Atlantic.thumb.png.c656379241a06ea5c2b15ecd250968f9.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 29

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Report.

Another hot, sunny day in the forecast.  I'll take Bertie for a walk soon, before the pavement gets too hot for his little feet.

Great days to observe.

Amusing quote.

The soup sounds good for a cool day, I'll save the recipes.  The drink sounds like dessert.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I've never been to today's port, but would love to visit someday.

Prayers for so many in our crazy world.

Have a terrific day.  Stay cool and dry.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  This morning it’s 72F and we expect a high of 93 and mostly sunny.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.

Today we can all agree that packaging can get out of control sometimes.  So frustrating!  Professional speakers and Purple Heart recipients deserve a day of recognition.  I’m confused by the quote this early in the morning.  The soup sounds good but it’s not time for hot soups so that will have to wait.  I think I will pass on the drink and wine.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers for my DB, twin sister, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and our men and women in our military in harm’s way in that war zone.  Prayers as well for our group of Care list individuals here on the Daily with pain and suffering.  I’m hoping we can pare that list down considerably in the coming weeks and months.  Congrats to all celebrating special occasions and cruising!  And thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for her upkeep of the lists for us every day.

The port today is Portimao, Portugal.  Let’s hear it for another brand new port here.  I am fairly certain I haven’t been there before.  No links, no photos again.  Please enlighten us if you’ve had the pleasure of visiting Portimao.

My shingles shot arm is sore, appears slightly swollen, and is red and warm to the touch.  I believe I recall this happening last March when I had the first dose.  Hopefully it will be better by tomorrow.  DS says Ren is getting his appetite back after having his wisdom teeth removed last Thursday.  He’s lost a little weight but I’m sure he will gain some back again.  He will see a doctor in Dallas next Monday and they will hopefully determine he can lose the sling and start PT.  He and his Mom are flying to Dallas Sunday.  DS is driving Ren’s car back to Dallas Saturday and Sunday.  It’s been in Michigan with the family since June.  And DH and I fly to Dallas next Wednesday to begin our visit there, staying with Ren while his parents go to Singapore for an event.  Life is sure complicated!

I hope we all have a great day!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Heartgrove making the hard decision to put Sam down on Friday

Haljo1935 with knee pain and trouble walking

Mamaofami with exhaustion after recent Covid infection

Cruzin Terri and all others in the path of Debby and flooding

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Cruising-along’s BIL John post 2 strokes

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Birth of Heartgrove’s (Jack’s) new granddaughter 8/5!

RMLincoln booked a cruise for this month

Dfish post nerve ablation; able to walk longer

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Luvteaching (Discovery Princess Aug 10 to Aug 17) 7d Alaska Inside passage w/Glacier Bay National Park

4 days for RMLincoln (Emerald Princess Aug 11 to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada

5 days for Haljo1935 (MSC Magnifica Aug 12 to Aug 16) 4d Bahamas

MISTER 67 (MSC Seashore to Aug 11) 7d W. Caribbean, ski ww (Rotterdam to Aug 17) 14 Night Britain, Scotland & Ireland, Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 16
  • Thanks 21

Orange Creamsicle cocktail

The orange creamsicle is a liquid version of the popular frozen treat, complete with a creamy orange flavor. You can enjoy it as a sweet cocktail or martini, a boozy float, a blended drink, or a tempting shot. However you pour it, they all have three things in common: vodka, orange (either juice or soda), and cream (cream, ice cream, or cream liqueur). All three ways to make it are sure to be delicious.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz. vanilla or whipped cream vodka
1/2 oz. triple sec
1 oz. half and half
1 oz. orange juice
Orange slice for garnish
Directions:
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the vodka, triple sec, half and half, and orange juice.
Shake well. Strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with fresh ice.
Garnish with an orange slice and serve.

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 6.32.23 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D     Three great days to celebrate..    Special prayers for Carol  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list..  Prayers that Terri and Jim remain safe..

Funny quote by Miller,.

I have not been to today’s port

I think that walk is a monument to human stupidity.  I haven’t seen a transistor radio in years but they were great in their time..

’ll pass on the meal....  My alternative is Assorted Garden Greens, Marinated Pineapple Spears and Tagallatelle Verdi Alla Conti. as served on MS Prinsendam August 7 2011..

PT again this morning.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning! 🐪 Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information.

We had a bit of a scare at work yesterday, but let me back up to last Friday first. 

There a lot of construction going on around our property (and in the area in general, mostly commercial). Friday someone broke a (main?) water line so water was shut off in a 6-block area. It was determined that water would be off for quite a while, so about 10am we sent everyone home. Thank goodness water was restored about 6pm that evening. 

It’s getting close to the end of the year for us and (unfortunately) I’m finding myself working a few extra hours more and more. I was planning to work late again yesterday but then we were told to evacuate immediately (“this is NOT a drill”) because of a FIRE right outside our property! As I got in my car to leave I could see the smoke and 2 firefighters walking the fence line. And as I drove down the street a fire truck was coming in. Everyone got out and our building is OK. **Lord, please keep all firefighters and first responders safe during this season.**

Thank you all for caring and sharing. Prayers 🙏 for the Care List and Cheers 🎉 for the Celebration List. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily!!  It's a wonderful way to start my day!

Celebrate Packaging...  It does amaze me how some things are packaged and HARD they are to get into or opened!!  I vote for easy and simple and no waste packaging!  ...EXCEPT for presents!!  Then the sillier, the most preposterous, the most creative wins!!!

And Speakers who motivate, who inspire, who truly teach are wonderful!!  Those who speak out of both sides of their mouth and choose what to say based on their audience only to change their message when speaking to others -- to the opposite of what they've already said -- NO THANK YOU!!  You may be professional, but I want to hear someone who believes and 'Walks the walk of their Talk!"

And God Bless all who earn, or have earned, a Purple Heart!!  Thank you!

It's too hot for soup, but I'll save the recipe for a cooler day!

I LOVE creamsicles!!!

And, a Pinot Blanc is refreshing!!

And TIA for the Portugal photos!!

Prayers for all listed and those who need prayers!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

It is 62°F and raining here.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Purple hearts day is important.

Professional speakers can earn lots of money.

On our last cruise a retired airline pilot was a guest speaker.

A lot of packaging on some products is preposterous and unnecessary.

I will pass on today's other subjects.

For @RedneckBob and other friends who like food photos we called at the beach this morning and had breakfast.

Sunderland and Newcastle are expecting more anti immigration protesters today along with 30 other towns and cities which is very concerning after the trouble at previous protests last week.

I hope everyone else has a nice day.

IMG_20240807_092634.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Northwest Passage trip.  I could have booked Crystal Serenity in Vancouver August 6 for a 10-day B2B with the NWP but chose instead a 5-day "cruise" on the Alaska ferry Kennicott followed by a 5-day visit to Denali.  On August 7 Kennicott was on the Inside Passage bound for Ketchikan.

morning0807.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good cloudy and 100% humidity morning. It’s only going up to 75 today and showers are expected. Debby is coming on Friday.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good Wednesday morning everyone!   Thanks for the fleet maps and daily @richwmn.  Packaging is either too much, (usually) or not enough.  I am sure Katy Ledecky will join Michael Phelps on the professional speaking circuit.  People love to be motivated by winners.  In my work history we had Roger Staubach and John Wooden as motivational speakers, especially lucky to hear John Wooden.  Our Purple Heart winners put their lives and bodies down for our freedom.  I look forward to to photos of today's port.  Pass on the soup and cocktail but the German wine should be wonderful. Thanks  @summer slope   @cat shepard and @dfish

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports @JazzyV@Heartgrove sympathy in the loss of your handsome dog Sam.  He was beautiful.  Prayers for Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Terri and Jim, Bonnie, Sandi's DB Scott, Bonnie and @mamaofami as she battles COVID after effects.  Prayers for any who are ailing or grieving.  Jacqui I hope your moving progress continues to move along smoothly.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  

Our dinner yesterday was about perfect, other than the mountain of dishes John is facing this morning.  I stored all the food and cleaned and rinsed the plates.  The rest is for him.  I did all of the cooking, table setting and cleaning beforehand so I don't feel bad for him.  It was 44 degrees when I got up.  What a difference a week makes.  I worked on cleaning the logs on two sides of the cabin the last few days, today I start sanding the west wall where the sun causes the stain to peel, then stain the places I sanded.  Perfect weather for that work.  Have a lovely day!  Nancy 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is super windy here - perhaps Debby’s last hurrah! But I love how it keeps the humidity tolerable. Still have an occasional sprinkle or shower, but nothing big. 

Vanessa, happy to read that your ENT visit went well. Thank you for keeping up with all of us!

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, then dinner out with a bunch of friends to celebrate my neighbor who is leaving us next week. I will have a final dinner for her this coming Saturday, but this evening’s dinner will be a big group. Corinne is such an amazing lady. 

IMG_3255.jpeg.821b7250ab8f4dcd2f21cff087990059.jpeg

IMG_3256.jpeg.08c1dcd73ef6c4ec32934380e31cf0e3.jpeg

IMG_3258.jpeg.f99e3539658b229f673049f1d04aea98.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. It pisses me off that I need to pray for Annie & Elizabeth because their bosses aren’t leaders, just managers. 

Tana, praying that you have a good day. Terry, praying that you have a boring day. 

Chuck and Annie, praying that you both have good and boring days. 

For all our caregivers, praying that you take care of yourselves, too. 

Jack, praying that you find solace in what an amazing life Sam has had with you. 

Cheers to @RMLincoln Maureen- how wonderful! What a fun thing to do for yourselves. After all the two of you have overcome! Woo hoo!

Debbie, thrilled to read that both the back & leg are better!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2022 Pinot Blanc, Maximin, Maximin Grünhaus, Mosel

Sorry everyone, I pulled a fast one and changed the vintage to 2022. It should be easier to find, had more info available and more critical acclaim. I would love to try this one! Online prices start at $21.00.

Winemaker notes 

A finely fruity and precisely defined Pinot Blanc from the red slate soil of the Grosse Lage (grand cru) Herrenberg vineyard. Our Pinot Blanc grows exclusively in the upper portion of the Herrenberg vineyard, notable for its red slate soils. It is spontaneously fermented in neutral Fuder casks produced from our own local oak. This ensures that the wood does not influence the taste of the fruitiness and freshness of the wine, although it does impart a refined structure and elegance. The Pinot Blanc is bright and fresh, with all of the verve you would expect from a cooler, higher-elevation site.
ABOUT MAXIMIN GRÜNHAUS
This historic estate dates back to the 7th century, when the vineyards and buildings were donated to the Benedictine order of St. Maximin. The monastery was privatized by Napoleon in the early 19th century. In 1882, it was purchased by an ancestor of Maximin von Schubert, who is the sixth generation of the family to own the estate. Work in the vineyards is done in close harmony with nature. Fertilization is organic, and no pesticides or herbicides are used. The wines ferment naturally in the deep, cool cellar, where they are matured in stainless steel tanks and neutral oak casks.
THE 2022 VINTAGE
A warm and dry spring led to an early start to the growing season where budding began in May. The dry conditions were clearly noticeable in the vineyards as the young vines struggled. Our luck changed when rain finally hit the Ruwer at the end of August. Cool nights and small rain showers accompanied us through an otherwise optimal harvest. While 2022
will be remembered as a hot vintage, the wines are extremely fresh, have mouthwatering acidity, and superb precision
TECHNICAL INFO
Vineyard Source: Maximin Grünhaus Herrenberg
Vinification: Native yeast fermentation in neutral
Fuder casks; no malolactic fermentation.
Alcohol: 12.5%
Sustainably Grown
Pesticide & Herbicide Free

[91] James Suckling
“Attractive nose of fresh nuts and generous body are
married to a delightful creaminess, the touch of oak
deftly complementing this impressive depth. Long finish
with a touch of melted butter character.” — August 2023

[90] Wine Enthusiast
“Fresh and lively, offering vivid flavors of Bosc pear and
green apple, with hints of mineral and floral combining in
a distinctive package. Lovely effort.” — May 2024

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

Happy Wednesday, Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

High of 75 today and we will be stuck in a rainy pattern for the next several days. Looks like by Saturday we will have cooler weather. Getting my hair done today. Then back to grading assignments, a never-ending task. Between meetings and creating videos for my classes yesterday I almost lost my voice, 63 days until cruise day. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

It's Wednesday, Funny & Happy Wednesday Meme with Wednesday Quotes ...

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our Hump Day, Daily Rich & thanks to our F & B team

Particularly Preposterous Packaging Day?  Well if you change packaging to packing (which are sort of the same for some things, I’ve definitely been celebrating.  ever try to pack a Venetian mask?  LOL and yes, it’s one piece of memorabilia that is going with me.  I’m giving up plenty.

IMG_7044.thumb.jpeg.d25092aaf5c8dfc6324be86cbe7458df.jpeg

Not sure about the quote.  I see nothing delightful or good about being shallow. The wine sounds very interesting. Passing on the soup - stomach is too queasy and I’ve been living off of soup for 3 days.  Portimao is a very touristy spot.  Porto is far more authentic IMO.

IMG_7118.thumb.jpeg.65d29e319358601b502d444d72f1d1a8.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the kind words yesterday.  I caught up this morning (where I went to “hide” had no wifi for me).   I ended up  in bed ridiculously early after a nap (unusual for me) hoping to calm my queasy stomach and exhaustion.  I am still yawning this morning.  😬 

IMG_6863.thumb.jpeg.ac215cf18f969b04e38b98b58dcccdb5.jpeg

Busy day today  with Ivan’s injection and I have to face the music and reach out to my regular wifi competitor to see what they can offer at the new place.  I might not be a techie but I know going to 10 mbps is not great.  And my doctor and my physio.  I am not improving enough so either a) the surgery didn’t work (they said it did), b) the back is the issue & I need to proceed with the catscan or c) I just need tougher physio. I keep  reminding myself that there are people a lot worse off than me and pray for them.

IMG_6862.thumb.jpeg.c595582b9f39fef2ae0c81aea70ba1cd.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

IMG_6861.thumb.jpeg.310a4220ad19ad29932d7ae7d4febce9.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Good morning from a very rainy and soggy Bluffton, SC with no sign of stopping. 🌧️⛈️

So far we are still safe and still have our power and WiFi.  We are keeping our fingers crossed that it remains like that.

Thank you again for all your prayers and concern and most of all encouragement.

Prayers for all of you and thank you to all who contribute to this thread.

I love you all.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

@Heartgrove I was so sad to read last night about your decision for Sam. I agree with others, to be able to love and to help him let go is one of the hardest things to do, but to relieve him of pain and the inability to get up on his own is the greatest gift you can give him.  My sympathies to you and your family.. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to the day at 58F, but we are supposed to have sunny skies and temps in the mid 70s.  I'm taking it easy today as last night was a tough one.  I couldn't get to sleep until after 3.  I'll probably hit the bed for a nap soon.  I caught a third mouse last night.  No new ones this morning, but I need to check the traps.  Yesterday I learned they had cleaned out the peanut butter without setting them off.  My pest guy can't get here soon enough!

Today's meal will be a good one for this fall.  I'd probably use more vegetables to thin out the carbs although they aren't too bad in this first version.  Tuscan White Bean Soup

Tuscanwhitebeansoup1.thumb.png.cba871ee75299b0d3c1fa2e961f74651.png

This soup uses spinach rather than kale.  White Bean Soup

Tuscanwhitebeansoup2.thumb.jpg.a5658032eb08dbc214c6b7a48ddd6bc2.jpg

The first two are vegetarian, but Ina Garten adds in some pancetta.  That would be quite flavorful, I think.  Barefoot Contessa | Tuscan White Bean Soup | Recipes

Tuscanwhitebeansoup3.thumb.jpg.b4ab03f5cc856a04e920d00b49199332.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

Good morning. Looks like another hot one. Last night at 8:00 PM it was still a 100 degrees F. House cleaner arrives in a bit so that means trying to stay out of her way.

Yesterday my door bell rang and when I answered there was an elderly man at the door. Introduced himself as the person who was going to take down the huge dead oak tree next door in common area. He wanted to know my border line so he would not leave any damage on my property. It was just him and I presume his wife. They would be here this morning to commence taking down the tree. In talking with him he revealed he was 72 years old. I asked how many on your team. “Just me and her!😳 They proceeded to tell me how you can’t get good help these days. So I’ll wait and see how this goes today and in a heat index alert at that.

One of my biggest pet peeves is today’s packaging. So frustrating especially when one has arthritis in thumbs. On our flight home Monday I struggled to open a couple of the offered snacks.

Thanks for the special reports and post. Enjoy your Hump Day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.b049740188b4107f096cb1f5e0ad66b9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e5d8e5406d9c9adc570782172903096a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5615fd00d0b86bcfd45a6413ae775a18.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 17

Jacqui @kazu sending another prayer that you begin to feel more like yourself and put an end to this queasiness.  Sleep can't hurt!  Love the photos of the flowers!

DD sent me some photos of her latest celebration tree, Back to School, but a couple disappeared from my phone.  Here's what I have left.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

I love the decorations...the pencils, rulers, books, scissors, school bus, and the darling ABC garland which looks like a ribbon.

I can't see her closeup photo of the blackboard decoration anymore so cropped it from the first photo.  Not a great pic but maybe you can read it.

DD is busy preparing for the school year which begins next week.  Unfortunately she's been having more foot pain and was just diagnosed with Capsulitis.  She will have to wear a boot and take steroids (a big weight gainer for her and it's only 51/2 weeks until her daughter's wedding) 😢.  Next will probably be cortisone shots and orthotics.  What a bummer!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is 62°F and raining here.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Purple hearts day is important.

Professional speakers can earn lots of money.

On our last cruise a retired airline pilot was a guest speaker.

A lot of packaging on some products is preposterous and unnecessary.

I will pass on today's other subjects.

For @RedneckBob and other friends who like food photos we called at the beach this morning and had breakfast.

Sunderland and Newcastle are expecting more anti immigration protesters today along with 30 other towns and cities which is very concerning after the trouble at previous protests last week.

I hope everyone else has a nice day.

IMG_20240807_092634.jpg

👍👍 Two tums up!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9