Cash on Baltic cruise

gb88

With all of the different currencies used on a Baltic cruise, what do people do about exchanging money?Ā  Euros alone will not be sufficient.Ā  Any recommendations?

We spent some time in Denmark before the cruise. We obtained some Danish Krona at a bank'sĀ ATM. For Sweden we used a credit card for our self tour there and later we took a ship's tour which was in US$. We stopped for a beverage in Stockholm and paid with a credit card.Ā In Estonia, Germany and Russia we booked tours where payment and tipping was in US$. In Finland we paid for a shuttle in US$, but received change in Euros. No big loss. So, basically the only place we usedĀ local currency was in Copenhagen, and that was our choice so as to prevent charges from hitting our credit card before we returned home.Ā 

• Like 1

Last year we took some euros and danish kroner. Being from England we also had some sterling but did not use this.

Our cruise took us to Russia, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, Germany and Sweden and this currency plus our credit card worked out just fine.

Juliax

You will find that your CC is your best friend in this part of the world. Ā Euros will work as will dollars in Russia. Ā The Scandinavians even prefer CCā€™s for small purchases. Ā They are heading toward the cashless society.

• Like 1

Download Tap & Pay on your phone.Ā  That's what most European places have now.Ā  Just tap your phone and the charge goes through.Ā  No digging out a credit card, forgetting it or losing it.Ā 
If you use an ATM, make sure there isn't a skimmer on it.Ā  Also be really aware of your surroundings.Ā  That's one of the easiest "hits" for criminals.Ā 

Last year we were in Copenhagen for 4 days prior so we took some DKK.Ā  Took some Euros and did not use them all.Ā  Used Credit Cards everywhere else.Ā  Were advised that tips, if desired,Ā for our tours could be in Euros, USD or local currency.Ā  We had no issues.

We used the ATM's or a credit card.Ā  In Russia, we had a private tour which, for two was pricey.Ā  They would take credit cards but there was a surcharge. Not wanting to travel with that much cash on us,Ā Ā before leaving, I got traveler's checks ( free at our bank) and when the money was due to the tour, I cashed them at the front desk for US$ which they are happy to accept.Ā  One minor problem we ran into was a restaurant would say it took credit cards.Ā  Then, when we went to pay, they said the machine was down or some such story and we had to pay cash.Ā  Fortunately, the couple of times this happened, we had enough cash on us to pay it but it was euros I think and not local currency.Ā Ā 

11 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Download Tap & Pay on your phone.Ā  That's what most European places have now.Ā  Just tap your phone and the charge goes through.Ā  No digging out a credit card, forgetting it or losing it.Ā 
If you use an ATM, make sure there isn't a skimmer on it.Ā  Also be really aware of your surroundings.Ā  That's one of the easiest "hits" for criminals.Ā 

How do you recognize if there is a skimmer on the ATM?

If a place takes CC's it doesn't matter the amount.Ā  Like other posters, we took some DKK since we spent time in CPH before and after the cruise.Ā  Didn't really need it as we used CC most of the time and purposely found ways to spend the cash up.Ā  Only place I had to use cash was small grocery store.Ā  I also brought some Euro cash as we traveled around Benelux pre-cruise and to Berlin post-cruise.Ā  On tours, if tipping, they are going to accept any currency offered (but be reasonable).Ā Ā 

Ā 

Check to make sure there are no foreign transaction fees on the card you use.Ā  I used theĀ Costco Visa and it worked as a chip card, for some reason the tap function didn't work.

Ā 

On 6/14/2019 at 7:39 PM, wheezedr said:

You will find that your CC is your best friend in this part of the world.

Ā Euros will work as will dollars in Russia. Ā 

The Scandinavians even prefer CCā€™s for small purchases.

Ā They are heading toward the cashless society.

Ā 

Credit cards seems to be The Way....

let them sort out the currency-exchange rates, for one.

Ā 

Commenting on the Scandanavian countries trying for the cashless society dream

I read just a few days ago

that they are discovering that they will never be entirely cashless

due to one factor or another, thus my use of the word dream.

Ā 

Apparently though,

something like 90-95% of all transactions in Scandanavia

are conducted via electronic means of one sort or another

so they're getting close to their ideal, even though they might never 100% achieve it

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, clo said:

Well, maybe not ALL the time.Ā  But that's why jesus gave us ATMs šŸ™‚

Yes, exactly what I meant. Using a credit card for payments on the spot or to pull money from the ATMs still means ALL THE TIME šŸ™‚

55 minutes ago, Kate P.C said:

Yes, exactly what I meant. Using a credit card for payments on the spot or to pull money from the ATMs still means ALL THE TIME šŸ™‚

I've never known a bank that doesn't charge a cash advance fee if you get cash on a credit card.

• Like 1