Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

Pauser

22 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

I believe all threads concerning this are not allowed by CC on RCI threads.

21 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Any mention of the topic gets deleted on the Royal forum.

The topic lives here.

Wow ! Fight club .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

Because it was an accident. He will.have the guilt to live with the rest of his life...

So drunk drivers who kill people should be let off simply because they didn’t mean to crash their car, making it an accident too? I mean, by your logic, they are also going to have to live with guilt for the rest of their lives. Sorry, but negligence is negligence. No one is exempt from facing the consequences, including legal consequences, of their actions. 

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

So drunk drivers who kill people should be let off simply because they didn’t mean to crash their car, making it an accident too? I mean, by your logic, they are also going to have to live with guilt for the rest of their lives. Sorry, but negligence is negligence. No one is exempt from facing the consequences, including legal consequences, of their actions. 

Drinking and driving is ILLEGAL.  Completely different situation.  Now, I see the family is still determined on trying to sue.  Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Any mention of the topic gets deleted on the Royal forum.

The topic lives here.

I’ve had more than one post removed for relatively minor infractions. I think the RCI forum is much more tightly monitored than this one. Then again the three cheese ziti thread got deleted.... 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

Because it was an accident. He will.have the guilt to live with the rest of his life...

Prisons are filled with people who suffer guilt from accidently taking a life........ let's pardon all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

But yet it looks like a lawsuit is going forward. Should the parents receive a monetary settlement for grandpa doing something stupid?

Enough is enough , have the lawyer DROP all suits. Then it WILL cease.

The Lawyer was on NBC yesterday stating that the family was utterly crushed that the Step-Grandfather was charged with Negligent Homicide -- lawyer still fighting it out in the media    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-toddler-who-fell-cruise-ship-utterly-crushed-after-grandfather-n1073691

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

But yet it looks like a lawsuit is going forward. Should the parents receive a monetary settlement for grandpa doing something stupid?

Enough is enough , have the lawyer DROP all suits. Then it WILL cease.

"Should the parents receive a monetary settlement for grandpa doing something stupid?"

This seems to capture the situation, at least as it appears *now*.

We'll presumably learn more if there is an actual trial, or we'll learn from a plea deal, or, of course, *if* charges are dropped.

GC

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

"Should the parents receive a monetary settlement for grandpa doing something stupid?"

This seems to capture the situation, at least as it appears *now*.

We'll presumably learn more if there is an actual trial, or we'll learn from a plea deal, or, of course, *if* charges are dropped.

GC

What would money solve in a situation like this.....is it worth it to put yourself through all that goes with a lawsuit?    If they want to move on and heal, seems like this isn't the way, imho.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

The Lawyer was on NBC yesterday stating that the family was utterly crushed that the Step-Grandfather was charged with Negligent Homicide -- lawyer still fighting it out in the media    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-toddler-who-fell-cruise-ship-utterly-crushed-after-grandfather-n1073691

Sure they lawyer is crushed. If the grandfather is found at fault, the lawyer's chance of getting his multi-million dollar contingency fee is greatly reduced. 

• Like 8

If they just released the video surveillance  of the event, a lot of questions would be answered.  According to the NBC report the family has not seen the video.  Maybe that would put everything to rest- one way or another.

23 minutes ago, pe4all said:

If they just released the video surveillance  of the event, a lot of questions would be answered.  According to the NBC report the family has not seen the video.  Maybe that would put everything to rest- one way or another.

No.  No need for anyone to see that especially the family to be even more traumatized.  No need to engage in social media and forums like this to justify the investigation and charge.  I cant imagine anyone taking this to trial and reliving such pain and seeing the video.  There comes a time to fall on the sword to prevent more pain.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

IF the babysitter was truly remorseful and it was an accident I would not....Again, he or she would have to live with this the rest of their life.....That is a sentence in itself. Sure, there is absolutely a time and a place for charges brought but I don't think that is always the case....It's like people are sue crazy too...It does no good. This is just my opinion...

If something terrible happened to a loved one, you seem to be the type of person who would chose to forgive and might chose not to sue for damages.  If so, good for you, forgiveness is the better path for the individual impacted.

Still, the Justice system also has an independent say in such events.  While you presume the people will be wracked with guilt the rest of their lives, rest assured there are people who do not ever feel guilt.  There are also people ordinarily capable of feeling guilt who instead go with denial.  If the verdict is guilty, the penalty phase is the time for the attorney and forgiving impacted individuals and accused ask for light sentence.

• Like 4

LOL....who knew....as long as you 'feel sorry' you should get a pass for killing someone.

Some have lost sight....this isn't about the grandfather....this is about holding a person accountable for the untimely and tragic death of a baby that was caused by the negligence of another.  This wasn't and accident, this was a negligent act because any reasonable person would understand the risk of sitting a child on a railing in front of an open window.

Justice is holding that person accountable.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

No.  No need for anyone to see that especially the family to be even more traumatized.  No need to engage in social media and forums like this to justify the investigation and charge.  I cant imagine anyone taking this to trial and reliving such pain and seeing the video.  There comes a time to fall on the sword to prevent more pain.

I meant for only the family to see the video, if they chose to do so.   If they want to see it it should not be withheld from them.  Social media/forums have no need to see it.

• Like 1

•  
6 hours ago, pe4all said:

There is supposedly video of what happened inside and outside of the ship. I'd watch both but I understand that some people would not.

Showing the interior video would confirm my suspicion that....

Grandpa knew that the window was open.

Grandpa did at some point lean the child out of the window while she was sitting on the rail or the window sill.

Grandpa turned away and let the child remain sitting.

The child leaned forward and grandpa couldn't grab her in time.

Even if the actual impact isn't shown, the events leading up to the fall are important.

• Like 3