Is Check from HAL real or scam?

MSEm

50 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

It is against the rules to mention any other travel agency on Cruise Critic unless said agency is part of Tripadvisor (owns Cruise Critic) or pays to advertise on this site.

Not  exactly. The Guidelines state:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

3 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi,

This is from Terms and Conditions.

Additional Terms And Conditions For 'Holland America Cruise Line' Bookings

Shipboard Credit:If your reservation is booked within 14 days of the scheduled departure date, you will receive a Costco Cash Card in lieu of the expected onboard credit. Any coupons, saving certificates, future cruise credits and/or discounts that decrease the base cruise fare will decrease the shipboard credit amount accordingly. Likewise, any change in category and/or fare code that increases the base cruise fare will increase theshipboard credit amount accordingly. Costco Travel provided shipboard credit is refundable if unused. A check from Bottomline Technologies will be mailed to you within 4-6 weeks of returning for the remaining balance. If the remaining balance is less than $25.00, please request that refund directly from the front desk onboard the vessel.

That’s interesting. Our refund by HAL onto our credit card was several hundred dollars. We booked >8 months out. 

Because there is is no outlining in the paragraph (along with our experience) it leaves me to wonder if the entire paragraph is based on booking less than 14 days prior.

However, the heading makes it sound like the entire paragraph is made up of separate terms and conditions that apply across the board.

14 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That’s interesting. Our refund by HAL onto our credit card was several hundred dollars. We booked >8 months out. 

Because there is is no outlining in the paragraph (along with our experience) it leaves me to wonder if the entire paragraph is based on booking less than 14 days prior.

However, the heading makes it sound like the entire paragraph is made up of separate terms and conditions that apply across the board.

We almost always end up with a credit, and most recently last weekend when we left the ship, and the credit was posted to my credit card by Tuesday. 

• Like 1

I suspect that it is for the future cruise deposits.  Could you have made those deposits 4 years ago so they could be expiring now.  I think they would normally be refunded to your credit card but is it possible the one you used then is no longer active?

Roy

34 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

My cruise isn’t until April 2020 I had to transfer now with the new 60 day rule.  

I am almost possible that is the company who issues refunds for Princess and Holland America.   When we have a large refundable OBC (usually from the Big Box store), Princess issues refunds of it several weeks after the cruise through this company.  We have been warned to look at mail carefully because it's a pretty nondescript envelope and could be confused with junk mail.  On Holland America we usually cash out our account when we leave, since they give you cash right there.  On Princess they don't.  Having just gotten off the Emerald Princess we are looking carefully at our mail now, waiting for our OBC check to show up.  😊

Based on the amount, I would bet my 2020 cruise budget that the checks are refunds for a Future Cruise Deposit each of you put down.
You didn't use them within four years (possibly forgot all about them), and they have expired.
I'd cash 'em.

• Like 5

I'm curious as to what "scam" would be involved in cashing a check.  It's not like you're agreeing to send money to anyone.  As long as the face of the check doesn't say something like "this is not legal tender" or "this is not a check" then it's a check.

Ditto Ruth C. second post above. The credit card company you used to purchase the future cruise deposits did not accept the refund to that credit card--probably because it no longer exists--so you received a check instead of the credit card refund.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Based on the amount, I would bet my 2020 cruise budget that the checks are refunds for a Future Cruise Deposit each of you put down.
You didn't use them within four years (possibly forgot all about them), and they have expired.
I'd cash 'em.

that would be a very safe bet .. no risk

Those checks represent refund of  future cruise deposits, bought while on board a  hAL ship which remained  unused

Many  of those fccd's are $100 but they 'bundle them'  if making a refund  and you have multiple   on deposit

.l

Edited by sail7seas

7 hours ago, ski ww said:

Take it to the bank & cash it, if it's real, no problem if it's fake it'l bounce. 

The endorsement might require personal information that would be helpful to the scammers if that is the case.  Driver's license, etc.  Best to simply call HAL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

The endorsement might require personal information that would be helpful to the scammers if that is the case.  Driver's license, etc.  Best to simply call HAL.

If the check is made out to you, you simply sign the back of it.  If the check was fake, the person who sent it is never going to see it again, so they wouldn't even see your signature. 

9 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

If the check is made out to you, you simply sign the back of it.  If the check was fake, the person who sent it is never going to see it again, so they wouldn't even see your signature. 

Exactly, so long as you use a traditional method like a brick-and-mortar or online bank or financial institution.  The "corner check cashing place" might require more information along with taking a bite out of the check though.  However, electronic copies of cashed checks are made available to the payer, so anything you do write on the back can be seen by them, one reason banks have encouraged endorsers NOT to write account numbers on the endorsement block any longer.  Bounced checks will also generally incur a charge by the bank.

I agree with RuthC, the amount strongly suggests a refund of an expired FCD or two.  If you have been doing business with HAL for at least 4 years it seems reasonable to assume you can deposit or cash the checks.

• Like 1

I've gotten 2 of these refunds in the not too distant past.

One came to me in the form of a credit back to my Amex card from HAL.

Another came to me in the form of a check for $200.

I guess there's a time limit on unused cruise deposits? 

My mother also got one.  I didn't realize she had one sitting out there, too.

It's sad that I'd not used those.  Life got in the way of play. 😔

I would hazard a guess that those who get checks may have purchased FCDs (or other refundable purchases) on what is now a expired/replaced credit card; those who get the credits on their cards used cards that are still valid for refund purposes at least.

It's been a couple of years ago but we rec'd a similar check from HAL. I believe the amount was in the $30-$40 range. I deposited into my checking account with no problems although I was wondering what it was about. I found out later that it was a refund on some port charges (missed port I suppose or a port charge adjustment that the 'bean counters found) from a cruise that we had taken three years earlier.

Go figure...

Best of luck & safe travels.

Be well.

Bob  

59 minutes ago, avian777 said:

👍👍👍

Great suggestion - thanks for sharing it.

It is a good suggestion - but really, who has time to sit and wait on hold for lengthy periods?  Hearing the same message over and over and over again.... "your call is important to us.....".

That is always my experience with calling HAL.

1 hour ago, T8NCruise said:

... who has time to sit and wait on hold for lengthy periods?  Hearing the same message over and over and over again.... "your call is important to us.....".

That is always my experience with calling HAL.

Sorry, T8NCruise, you'll have to make that "call" for yourself, as I have no idea what your time is worth ...

Edited by avian777