Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdjatigger

Teen Club- Niece Turns 18 two weeks before cruise...

Recommended Posts

My niece is a high school senior and will be joining us on this cruise. I noticed that it says the teens club is from 13-17. She turns 18 two weeks before we sail. 😞 She's been on one other cruise and found so many friends through the teen club. Will she be able to attend the activities if she's already turned 18? Has anyone else had any experience with this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal's rule is that whatever age you are on day 1 is the age you will be for the entire cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can be more lenient with younger kids going to older group with family, etc or vice versa, but 18 is 18 which means she's an adult and can't be in the teen club with minors.  That's a different scenario.  There are legal risks  and liability with allowing an 18 year old in with younger kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember reading where if an 18 year old could prove that they were still in high school and were willing to forego adult activities (casino, nightclub after 10), they might be allowed into the teen club. Of course, this would be at the discretion of the staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The counselors ask to see the child’s sea pass when they come into the teen club.  Something on the sea pass tells the counselor if they are in the appropriate age group to be allowed in.

 

DPR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our experience is that they are pretty strict with 18 year olds not being allowed in the teen club...even if she is only 18 years and 2 weeks old.  That's tough age...too old for the teen club but too young to want to hang out with the (boring) adults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went on a cruise in August when my daughters turned 13 & 18 in july and the 18 yr old was Not allowed in the teen club at all. The 13 yr old met kids and then they would all hang out around the pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No--so maybe talk to her about it ahead of time.  But I also think the closer they get to 18, the less they click with the majority of the kids there so she may not have been all that happier if the cruise was 2 weeks before her birthday.  They do sometimes have an 18-21 Club gathering each day at a different spot--place for "kids" in those age groups to meet up. But she may be at the younger end of that as well.  Depending on when you travel, she may be just as happy to have time to relax and be on her own--kids that age lead such hectic school lives!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they are extremely strict .. she will not be allowed.

 

 that being said, there will almost certainly be  events geared to the 18-20 crowd where she can meet people.  she will  be allowed to do basically everything except drink so its not like she won't have  any opportunities to meet people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First hand speaking for our DD, when she was younger.

 

They check and do not permit anyone in when they become 18.

 

But kids being kids, it was amazing hearing stories how when their lounge gets crowded, the back door to Fuel has seen a person or two slipped in...........................

 

Not saying it is right, and doing the only thing a mother can do and say  ". . . . do you want to get us thrown off the ship. . . "

 

Yup shortly there after the counselors monitored the crowd, because yup, they did get busted and kindly asked to leave.

 

Now our daughter to our knowledge never got in at age 18 but wonder if she let..............................................

 

 

Now that she is 25, they would rather do Karaoke.

 

Oh kids will be kids, and that period of 18-20 can be frustrating for them on board.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, bobmacliberty said:

Our experience is that they are pretty strict with 18 year olds not being allowed in the teen club...even if she is only 18 years and 2 weeks old.  That's tough age...too old for the teen club but too young to want to hang out with the (boring) adults.

We wont cruise again as a family until my 17 year old is 21. Agree those in between years are difficult. We will do other things for family vacation in the meantime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. Even if someone turns 18 halfway through the cruise, they can only go for half the cruise. They day they turn 18, bye bye! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

Nope. Even if someone turns 18 halfway through the cruise, they can only go for half the cruise. They day they turn 18, bye bye! 

I doubt that will happen unless they go to guest services and get a new card issued.  Everything in Royals literature states that the guests age for the duration of the cruise is based on the first day sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 7:34 PM, sdjatigger said:

My niece is a high school senior and will be joining us on this cruise. I noticed that it says the teens club is from 13-17. She turns 18 two weeks before we sail. 😞 She's been on one other cruise and found so many friends through the teen club. Will she be able to attend the activities if she's already turned 18? Has anyone else had any experience with this? 

She won't be allowed in but her best bet to meet other teens is on the 1st night go up to the Teen Area and hang around outside.  Most of the teens don't stay in the club all night they come and go as they choose so hopefully she can join them as they move around the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I doubt that will happen unless they go to guest services and get a new card issued.  Everything in Royals literature states that the guests age for the duration of the cruise is based on the first day sailing.

 

It does. The teen staff have a manifest with dates of birth on, they are alerted to the ones that turn 18 within the cruise, before the cruise even starts, and the teens are told the day they go and get their wristband or whatever that ship is using for the teen club. teens have to show their card everytime they enter so yes, they do know even without a new sea pass card, but what do I know? I only worked there lol! 

 

This is because once they turn 18 they are classed as an 'adult' which, if anything happened with and 18 year old around teens makes royal liable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 7:34 PM, sdjatigger said:

My niece is a high school senior and will be joining us on this cruise. I noticed that it says the teens club is from 13-17. She turns 18 two weeks before we sail. 😞 She's been on one other cruise and found so many friends through the teen club. Will she be able to attend the activities if she's already turned 18? Has anyone else had any experience with this? 

If you are cruising in Europe at 18 she can drink alcohol  in the bars and nightclub on board.

In the US it is 21.

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

 

It does. The teen staff have a manifest with dates of birth on, they are alerted to the ones that turn 18 within the cruise, before the cruise even starts, and the teens are told the day they go and get their wristband or whatever that ship is using for the teen club. teens have to show their card everytime they enter so yes, they do know even without a new sea pass card, but what do I know? I only worked there lol! 

 

This is because once they turn 18 they are classed as an 'adult' which, if anything happened with and 18 year old around teens makes royal liable. 

 

Not to argue with you but my son turned 18 on a cruise a while back and continued to use the teen club throughout the cruise.  Yes, he did go to the club, not just hang out with others.   Did this change at some point recently??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, akcruz said:

  Did this change at some point recently??

I think that poster mentioned policy, but what actually happens on the ship varies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can request they be allowed into the club, but don't expect it to happen.  There will be other "over 18" kids aboard, and they WILL find each other.  No worries.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

You can request they be allowed into the club, but don't expect it to happen.  There will be other "over 18" kids aboard, and they WILL find each other.  No worries.

 

No adults in teen club . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...