Pens became pencils

Orator

This is really absurd.

We noticed last month on Equinox (in a sky suite if it matters) there was NO pen. 

Just a crummy, dull pencil.  Not good for writing on the newspaper crosswords I brought with me 🙂

Finally found a pen hubby had stashed in his backpack.

Reading above posters who say no pencil or pen could be located, or had to be borrowed and returned from guest services (!?!), this doesn't seem like Modern Luxury.  Also how in the heck can you ever write a note if there is no writing implement?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, CruiseJudicious said:

I went to Guest Relations on IN...no sharpener. Wrote a note to HD re sharpener...Ignored. Asked Room Steward for sharpener...nope. Asked for a new pencil...now I have a collection of flat tip pencils.

LOL, I was just thinking - I have an eyebrow pencil where the top doubles as a pencil sharpener.  Might come in handy on the cruise!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

This is really absurd.

We noticed last month on Equinox (in a sky suite if it matters) there was NO pen. 

Just a crummy, dull pencil. 

This isn’t just Celebrity.  Last month we stayed in 2 Disney hotels and 2 Marriotts as well as on Reflection, and not a pen to be seen in any of them!  The hotels didn’t have a pencil or pad either.  

• Like 1

Don't they want anyone to fill in those forms where we are asked to give a marking of 10? If it's difficult to find a pen many won't be bothered to go on a hunt.

Or do they want them completed in pencil so they can be amended 😄 - only joking 😉 

3 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Don't they want anyone to fill in those forms where we are asked to give a marking of 10? If it's difficult to find a pen many won't be bothered to go on a hunt.

Or do they want them completed in pencil so they can be amended 😄 - only joking 😉 

What forms?  Email surveys are the only ones I have seen for years. 

My only quibble with the pencil was that it kept falling on the floor.

6 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

This is really absurd.

Reading above posters who say no pencil or pen could be located, or had to be borrowed and returned from guest services (!?!), this doesn't seem like Modern Luxury.  Also how in the heck can you ever write a note if there is no writing implement?

Apparently Modern Luxury = no writing implements.  Perhaps they could deep six some of that HoppenCrap like vases that won't hold water and provide functional stuff like pens.

• Like 1

Thank you to the OP for posting and letting us know.  It's just one more thing I need to add to the packing list (wish I'd known about them going to paper straws prior to my last cruise), but very glad it's something small.  When they take away the bed pillows, packing is going to be a bit more challenging.

Edited by SunsetPoint
  • Haha 2

On 1/26/2020 at 12:46 PM, davekathy said:

So the pen was replaced with a pencil. Now that makes sense. Not a wooden pen as posted by another poster on another thread. ((quote from that poster, "Yes, GR will give you a wooden pen, yes wooden , if you ask for one")).  I thought that was strange. I have a wooden pen it is way too nice to be given away. I like the looks of the pencil in #8. 

Just came across this.

It was me--- LOL-- The GR did say " I can give you a wooden pen " -- However I laughed and said " No--I'm not in a suite and don't want to take advantage of something I'm not paying for "--- It was all in fun, but that is what she said ( wooden pen ). 

I can't remember what I ate for lunch today, but, I do remember the " wooden pen " 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

Thank you to the OP for posting and letting us know.  It's just one more thing I need to add to the packing list (wish I'd known about them going to paper straws prior to my last cruise), but very glad it's something small.  When they take away the bed pillows, packing is going to be a bit more challenging.

I agree.  But how do we pack waffle cones without crushing them?  😁😁😁

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 10:29 AM, mom says said:

Sooooo, do they supply a pencil sharpener too, or do you need to bring your own? Maybe they could mount one on the wall ( recalling my school days) by the elevators...

Right next to the chalk board...

On 2/12/2020 at 6:55 PM, TheBluWho said:

Oh the horror!

I could be mistaken but for many of us the point isn't the lack of a pen but more the fact that "little by little" Celebrity (under LLP's guidance) has managed to eliminate more and more of the little extras/necessities that we were used to and expected to find in the cabins.

• Like 1

i have many souvenir pens.  Why not use one of those.

I would be 100% more concerned about what Celebrity has stripped out of the E class ships.  Not whether I have a pen or pencil.

Now that is an ISSUE.  Pens or pencils is small beans.

If I see you onboard S class I will give you a pen.

Perhaps the pencils are for the surveys.  They can erase the answers they dont like?

Edited by NMTraveller

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Why does the pencil suck and why do you need an eraser?

The writing with the new Celebrity pencil is so light and difficult to see so you have to really press hard or repeat over the writing.   Since the writing ends out messy from trying to use it, it would be nice to have an eraser to clean it up. Besides, pencils and erasers go hand and hand.  ✏️