Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Some offers even came with no house inspections.

Not such thing as "house inspection" here... No "closing" with a fixed date.

Lawyers on both sides draw a preliminary draft, and it's a lot of back and forth until an agreement is reached.

Years and years until you get a deed in your name... Took us 15 years for the flat we're living in now...

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

"Helen", I'm curious about the process of selling a house in US, which is very different from the one here.

Definitely only what you'd like to share, if at all.

Like when Bob ( @bobmacliberty) shared that they had 54 views, and many offers above the asking price, without, of course, getting into numbers.

How it is going with "downsizing", packing, etc. 🌹

Well, the purchase of the “new” (only 6 years old versus 150) house went…it was on the market for only one day when I luckily spotted it and we were already scheduled to visit the area.  I loved it (had already looked at two that definitely would not do…whoever said a picture doesn’t lie hasn’t looked at real estate listings…) and we made an offer lower than the listed price that evening.  

Seller countered with our paying some of the closing costs (customarily the seller pays all the closing costs), a slightly higher figure and threw in some extra appliances.  I counter-countered with the seller paying all the closing costs and a slightly higher figure…didn’t want/need the appliances.  Seller accepted.  The market has changed somewhat from the crazy days during covid when people were offering more than listing price.

Seller’s agent evidently convinced him that although the house had just hit the market…he might not get asking price…and ours was a cash offer…no need to wonder/wait for financing.  I would have paid asking price (but of course didn’t tell his agent or mine) but of course was happy to save $$$!  

Now as to selling our current home…I’ll have to let you know as it goes.  I like our agent very much.  He had a photographer make a video and stills that make the house look so beautiful I feel like I’m crazy for selling it!!  But the house was never inferior in any way…I just want to downsize and move to a town with more amenities.  Agent and I decided on a listing price that isn’t at the top of the spectrum as I would like to sell hopefully in a few months.  I don’t want to worry about it sitting empty while I’m in another state.

Selling a house here is generally going to be to a buyer who is moving here.  We have lots of retirees and people moving from California of all places!

I’ve got measurements of the new house and decided what pieces from here will go…and what will be left behind to sell.  Of necessity a lot will be left as the new house is much smaller than our current 5200 square feet.

If you have anymore questions, just ask!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, in this case…all guesswork on my part.  Seller has gotten divorced…no children…maybe wants a fresh start?  But could be lots of reasons:  job relocation, wanting to be close to family elsewhere, wants to get out of a large mortgage…

I certainly had a home inspection just because of Florida weather…and I knew nothing about the builders.  I’m sure a buyer for our house will have one as it’s so old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We then continued on driving but soon hit a detour.  There had been a collision between two trucks on the freeway so cars were being redirected.  We needed to drive the scenic route and we started by saying how lovely it was but then we saw the first pothole…and the next…and the more we came across the bigger they got. Eventually DS was forced onto the other side of the road to avoid them.  This is in the 80-100km/h zone.  He worked out the best tactic was to let a driver overtake him so he could follow the driver in fronts lead in avoiding the potholes.  We saw two cars pulled off the side of the road with tyre/wheel damage.

Finally after 40mins of precision driving by DS we arrived in Sutton.  DS said “that was hell”.  We stopped to check the tyres - all good- and were finally able to rejoin the Highway.  Phew!

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 9

On 11/8/2022 at 4:36 PM, reallyitsmema said:

I think I have been living under a rock.  Reading the comments about Nicole coming soon, I was trying to think of who's kid is having a girl soon.  DUH, the hurricane!  Carry on lol 😱😇

I'm on the same page as you and wondering what I missed except I'm in FL. We are closing our business tomorrow along with school closures.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Wow aren't you the lucky one, 3 times !!   Any winners for you in yesterday's Powerball?

Guess your natural immunity didn't catch on yet.............Just how many times do you have to get it before you have the natural immunity?

How many times to you need boosters to have protection?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How many times to you need boosters to have protection?

May be protection from serious illness/hospitalization...

I had my initial vaccinations in January 2021. Then in August, 1st booster. Second in January 2022.

Caught Covid end of June 2022, so less than 6 months after the 2nd.

Eligible for 3rd booster. On the fence...

• Like 3

After rejoining the Highway, we continued on.  Eventually we needed a stop, toilet break & DD needed to make a phone call.

Lovely view from the rest stop but one of the drop toilets was gross.  Thankfully the other one was ok.34C31712-AE33-4F4B-8439-C44183C55BE1.thumb.jpeg.2dea2f84548c225d63c8b0d79efd78ac.jpeg

We then drove into Jindabyne.  Jindabyne is the base for access to our ski slopes in winter - if you haven’t booked accommodation on the slopes and is located around the lovely Lake Jindabyne.

DD skied here 3 years in a row with her Scout group and both DS & DD went on skiiing trips with their schools.

With my school, I went to the Sport & Recreational camp for a week in summer for water sports.

We arrived at 5pm.  Thank goodness for daylight savings!  The owner of the property met us and when we explained re the detour, he said “they are not potholes, we call them craters!”.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

@Ourusualbeachwhat to you think of captain james. He was on liberty but he brought allure in for you all. Has a southern drawl though he says he now lives in florida. Very personable. Every day at noon he gives updates and walks around the ship and happy to say hello.

Not many captains with a southern drawl. 

I already asked my account manager if they had to ho looking for a Captain with a Southern accent.  Pretty different hearing him refer to guests as Y'all

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks @Momof3gurlz to give me the idea to take a COVID test for my cold symptoms. Looks like the KC Whiskey Expo Saturday was a super spreader event. I just tested positive. First time in 3 years that I got COVID.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I’m bummed because I dodged it for so long. I figured if I got it I would get it on my last two cruises.

So much for whiskey being a medicinal.

I hope you are feeling okay with your Covid, Greg!  How is Linda feeling?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Oh, no Greg.  Hope you have just the cold symptoms and nothing more.  You know, everyone keeps saying “stay hydrated” 😉😇!  
Unfortunately, I’m sticking to water since I’m taking Paxlovid.  

Deb, how are you feeling??  I hope the Paxlovid has you better in no time!!!

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

5DEB4EE5-5F5F-41D7-8CB8-8B02D65750A6.thumb.jpeg.8bd5c842df481d43fd90bb46e0a5b6d8.jpeg

This the three blondes - me, DS & DD.  

We are currently road tripping together.  DS is the driver, DD is the navigator and I’m chilling in the back, occasionally passing over snacks.

Beautiful family!!!!  How neat that the three of you are having a great adventure together!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Luckynana said:

Deb, how are you feeling??  I hope the Paxlovid has you better in no time!!!

Beautiful family!!!!  How neat that the three of you are having a great adventure together!!!!!

Deb, hope you are better today.  Greg, take care.

@aussielozzie18you guys are gorgeous as are your pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For dinner, we headed into town to the Bowling Club as recommended by the owner.  The Club has a lovely outlook over Lake Jindabyne and offer good size meals and drinks at reasonable prices (without the  “Jindy tax” - inflated prices for the tourists/out of Towners).

No walking around the lake after dinner or playing in the waters edge playgrounds due to the rising lake levels.

02E469E8-80A1-42C5-881E-F7C466D00D16.thumb.jpeg.2ffb31844dd3eaa8c5cca4b22e07b6fb.jpeg

5FB0A0F9-C37F-4800-9B19-6A51C5F66AAA.thumb.jpeg.9452a6615d4572ebef752e8c84fe4cec.jpeg

BBE44A9C-3AA1-4E3D-9B91-93FDD893A171.thumb.jpeg.ac76340a24ffa7095070b96ee96cda15.jpeg

The caravan park on the lake’s edge was also closed due to flooding.

The recent heavy rains was also the reason for all the potholes I mentioned earlier.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 12