M Class - why is it better ?

VitaminSea53

I have cruised on the Solstice and the Edge but an thinking about trying out the revolutionized M Class. Some people say the M Class is their favorite style of ship. I am curious ..... What makes the M Class preferable for you?

Edited by VitaminSea53
Punctuation correction

M class has a couple of unique features (visible in the photo) that I like: 2 story windows in the MDR that look out over the back of the ship and the glass mid-ship elevators that give you an ocean view over the port side.

Summit at Kings Wharf.JPG

Edited by mahdnc

We enjoy M class ships because they carry considerably less passengers and the ships are smaller.  However, we love the S class ships, especially Reflection and Silhouette.  Neither class is better than the other, just different.

• Like 2

Twice when we cruised on the Summit a few years ago, the glass elevators midship were malfunctioning.

Some people like the smaller ships. I like the R class Azamara has, but between the celebrity M and S class ships, I've learned to appreciate the S.  Haven't tried the Edge.  For me it really depends upon itinerary and costs.

While the M class might be our favorite we do enjoy the ships.  The ships are a nice size and easy to navigate.  The staff gives wonderful service.  While it only has two speciality restaurants we go to, (no sushi) they are great and you should try each.  The martini bar is fun- a good size, and because less passengers, the bartenders really get to know you.  Cafe al baccio is also top notch.

The ships might not have all of the bells and whistles of the Solstice and Edge class ships, but has all you need. And typically, the price of the sailing is typically less then the other classes.  We really enjoy the Reflection and Silhouette as they have more  speciality restaurants, including the lawn grill.  

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I like the M Class for Asia and Alaska where my focus is less about sunshine. S Class for Hawaii, Caribbean, Australia and the Mediterranean Sea for sunshine. Only cruised on the Edge Class once in a suite, never again. Only cruised on Azamara once. While we did enjoy where we went. The ships are to small. On our cruise the staff seem to friendly. I would like to cruise the Black Sea, so it will be Azamara. Also Azamara for Bangkok, Thailand. Maybe the 2nd time will be better that we are older now.

We like the ambiance with a less crowded and more friendly atmosphere of the "M" class ships as opposed to the larger ships.  We're also big fans of the QM2 and when we first starting sailing on the Summit, she seemed similar (although less posh) regarding the service and food.  In fact, once we were complimenting the head chef saying that the food reminded us of the QM2 fare which was funny because he then told us that he had recently transferred from the QM2.  We also complimented the entertainment director and he also had worked for Cunard.  We decided that since the QM2 had been cutting back and was not as good as it used to be, that we would continue to cruise on the Summit. 

We really love the outside dining in the back of the Ocean View Cafe, too.  We eat many breakfasts and lunches out there.  Also the Sunset bar  (think name changed?) is a nice place to have a drink and watch the wake.  Getting on and off the ship at ports is much easier, too, because of less crowds.  The "M" class doesn't have all the bells, glitz and whistles of the larger and newer ships, but it feels more like you're cruising on an ocean liner on the open seas and less like a floating hotel.  

• Like 1

We've sailed both S and M class, the S class prior to the "revolution" and the M class both before and after being "revolutionized."   With the "revolutionized" buffet on the M class --- individual stations, not the high school cafeteria line of old -- I think the M class now is a worthy rival for the S class.    I love that M class has three elevator banks, and I really enjoy the two-person couch-like seating in the theatre.    It's very easy to get around an M class ship.  

I've always thought that the S class ships are stunningly beautiful,, but the "revolution" has really brought the M class ships up a big notch.

I don't think you can go wrong on either.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We love the M class PH and would definitely cruise again but other than the room S class wins for us..

More dining choices

Better elevator positioning

The flow just seems better

Despite more guests on S class it frequently feels less crowded....

just a personal opinion...

We've sailed Summit before and after the Revolution. Having sailed both S and M classes I have to admit we seemed to really enjoy Summit more after the Revolution. They really stepped up their game and we have another booked for October 2021.  We were supposed to be on Edge in March but now we've booked Apex for January 2021. Looking forward to our 1st Edge class.

Have yet to be on Edge class, but we love both S and M class.  In many ways M class is my favorite for several reasons.  Love the T-pool - nice and warm and relaxing.  Like having three banks of elevators (and in close to 60 cruises on M and S combined never had an entire bank of elevators go out at the same time so don't worry about that).  Like the fact of fewer passengers so it feels less crowded and more intimate.  Prefer the Blu restaurant on M class  - more intimate and I think quieter overall.   Love the Rendezvous Lounge - nothing on S class compares IMHO.  I was pleasantly surprised when I sailed in a revolutionized M class ship - really, really like the changes they made to the buffet (although after Covid-19 not sure what will happen there!), as well as the cabins themselves.  

We did S class once about ten years ago when it was very new , before there was a luminae and micheals , loved the sky suite room and aft balcony. View and service in there Tuscan grill were amazing. Have done M class 3 times in last three years on Summit and Infinity in sky, celebrity and royal suites, loved luminae and micheals but prefer the larger S class. 

The Connie is our favorite ship.

The M class is a real ship, yes, shocking, a real ship, not a hotel for goodness sake.

The M's have:

* a real forward viewing lounge - Yes Celebrity that is important

* a real promenade deck - relaxing and being with the sea and great walking and visiting with others in a relaxing environment

* just enough space and enough stuff to enjoy - not too big and not too small

If you want to be on a Ship, the M class is your choice.

• Like 2

I like the M- Class ships much more then S- Class- haven´t tried Edge as of yet. All the reason are already mentioned- prommenade deck- size- elevators - more connection to the sea - all lounges, bars and restaurants  have a nice view out to the sea. I sailed Millenium when it debuted- it also was my first X- cruise. So she is my favorite X- ship. The Solstications was done nicley. I mourn the elimination of their original Speciality Restaurants though. The Olympic, United States, Normandie, Ocean Liners- they were unique - now they all have the same boring Tuscany Grill!

I very much fear they will get rid of their M- Class ships pretty soon- the Corona Crisis possibly having sped up that.

• Like 1

I’ve read all the posts on why people love M-Class and so on, and am surprised none of them mentioned what I think is the Major draw of M-Class ships over E- and S-Class ships. I love all three, and each has their positives over the other, but M-Class is unique in the Aqua Inside Pool! For me It Is the Best At-Sea Pool! It is a saltwater very warm large enough to swim pool with jet pipes on the sides that you can stand under and get a good shot of water on your neck and shoulder. But the best part is on the sides are steel pipes that form long ‘lounges’ you lay on an bubbles come running up much like a hot tub, which there are two of them just outside the pool. It’s adult-only unless its bad weather and they let families in, and there is an Aqua dining set up for breakfast and lunch (till late lunch), with pretty healthy choices.

We get a SR up forward on deck 8 or 9 under the pool (no SR was noisy at all) so we could zip up in the morning and enjoy the pool. Just fantastic. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

Denney01 - yes you are right, the indoor adult pool area.

Another best for the M class.

The M class were real innovations when the Millie came out (been on all of the M's) - just the right size and a real connection to the sea.

The Celebrity Edge class are not ships but floating hotels. Would never set foot on them.  

We will not sail on any vessel that does not have an indoor forward viewing area, period. To not be able to see Venice and Cape Horn rising from the sea is an abomination frankly.

• Like 1

We did nine days on Silhouette followed by a quick trip on Infinity just before everything shut down.  We hadn't been on M Class in about a decade, and the comparisons between S and M were fresh. I immediately realized how much I had forgotten I loved:

1)  The Mast Grill.  On M Class it's on the pool deck with a lot more tables, and it's covered, out of the sun.

2)  More seating at Cafe al Bacio, and more spread out. 

3)  I like the setup at the T-pool and Aqua Spa Cafe better as well.

4)  Third bank of lifts.

We were booked on the Connie (post revolution) transatlantic this year and were so excited about it, and really happy about her home porting in Tampa for the winter.  Now who knows if that will ever happen 😪

• Like 2

Not better, just different.  Have only been on an M class one time as our first intro to Celebrity.  We loved the intimate feel of the smaller ship.  Service is great, but I find that on all the ships.  The solarium on the M class (Connie) has a great thalasso therapy pool with resting bars for seating, which we loved.

The S class ships are also delightful.  

We love the design of both the M and S class.  Celebrity's ships have the best design of any we have cruised.

The S class has a superior design in the buffet, with islands that make it easier to serve yourself.  Also, the great center atrium is wonderful.

However, we love the M class because there are fewer passengers on the ship.  Also, it has once more staircase than the S class.

We have been on Edge, most of the S, and M(only Connie and Summit), and enjoy all class of ships. Our cruises require an accessible cabin and Celebrity does it best for convenience and practicality. But we like the Summit(M class) best for it’s smaller and comfortable size with dedicated and committed service. Aqua class(Blu) on M class is Really a specialized restaurant, not just a mdr with great service and individual attention to dietary needs. Also the M class has an accessible cabin at the rear of ship, deck 9, that no other class ships has, also C1 accessible on decks 7 & 8 aft.
This year we had booked four sailings on the Summit, unfortunately three have already even cancel, and the October sailing from Boston looks doubtful. Luckily we did get to cruise b2b on the Silhouette(S class) fresh out of drydock and refurbed In early February prior to the outbreak, and certainly exemplified the S class ships.

Hal