Dire financial predictions from Carnival Corp. Is RCI next?

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I forgot what it is called but the TA we have our cruises booked with in Canada has some sort of vendor default insurance.  That or all Canadian TA's have it. 

TICO.  Only through Ontario based travel agents. Covers cruise line and airline failures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Increase cost and improve standards. The current prices are turning Royal into Wal-Mart.

That would be my interpretation of what I read

It already exists... it's called Celebrity Cruise Line

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, drsel said:

Hi tonit964, that's a lovely photo!

The salaries of the higher officers will go down, including the captain. All management level positions do not get a part of the gratuities, they get a high salary instead. 

The tipping staff have a base salary of just $50, so they depend on gratuities.

And yes the gratuities will go up because they are a source of revenue for the cruise line and they are put into a pool from which salaries are paid to the tipping staff including the waiters, room stewards kitchen staff, etc

The excess amount remaining in the pool is part of the cruise line's profit

Aww, thank you. That makes sense, thanks for explaining it.

I realized after I posted that even if their wages did go down, the rise in gratuity would help them out.

Gosh, I really feel sorry for so many crew members being out of work.

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

A covid outbreak in the middle of Atlantic or Pacific oceans?  Not sure cruise lines want to tackle that scenario for starters. 

Since no ports seems particularly keen to accept sick passengers, might as well be in the middle of the ocean. 

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Where did you get that number?

162M Deaths; US Population 328M

162K/328,000K = 0.005 which translates to actually better numbers 99.995%

Yes, we don't want to hear how many people are surviving this pandemic. We only want to be brainwashed into some theoretic scare tactic number. So yes, even if the death toll went 10x from today, it would be 99.95% survival. Too much fear being put into this. Precautions are necessary, but 75% lockdown is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, yogimax said:

Doesn't mean a thing.  How many hundreds (thousands) have been in the pipeline for HIV?  All have failed so far.

Having said that, I think an effective and safe COVID-19 vaccine will emerge.  Thinking like some, however, that it will be "sooner than later" is totally wishful thinking, simply creating a false narrative.

HIV is different than a coronavirus.  Do some research yogi bear. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

HIV is different than a coronavirus.  Do some research yogi bear. 

I have done the research mon ami.  That was the basis for my second paragraph.

The first paragraph was a simple refutation to your implied claim that sheer numbers of vaccines in the pipeline implied success!

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

162M Deaths; US Population 328M

162K/328,000K = 0.005 which translates to actually better numbers 99.995%

Yes, we don't want to hear how many people are surviving this pandemic. We only want to be brainwashed into some theoretic scare tactic number. So yes, even if the death toll went 10x from today, it would be 99.95% survival. Too much fear being put into this. Precautions are necessary, but 75% lockdown is wrong.

Lol no.  First of all, survival rate is calculated by using the number of people that had the virus and survived (hence, the name).  It is not calculated using the total population.  The people that never had the virus didn't "survive". They just never had it.

Also, you might want to learn how to calculate percentages.  162K/328,000K is indeed 0.005, but you then multiply that number by 100 to get percentage.  For example, 1/100 is 0.01, which is 1%, not 0.01%.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Lol no.  First of all, survival rate is calculated by using the number of people that had the virus and survived (hence, the name).  It is not calculated using the total population.  The people that never had the virus didn't "survive". They just never had it.

Also, you might want to learn how to calculate percentages.  162K/328,000K is indeed 0.005, but you then multiply that number by 100 to get percentage.  For example, 1/100 is 0.01, which is 1%, not 0.01%.
These people have either wishful thinking, are conspiracy kooks or are scared out of their minds in reality. It's a sad day though because misinformation rules the world now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 5

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Hi tonit964, that's a lovely photo!

The salaries of the higher officers will go down, including the captain. All management level positions do not get a part of the gratuities, they get a high salary instead. 

The tipping staff have a base salary of just $50, so they depend on gratuities.

And yes the gratuities will go up because they are a source of revenue for the cruise line and they are put into a pool from which salaries are paid to the tipping staff including the waiters, room stewards kitchen staff, etc

The excess amount remaining in the pool is part of the cruise line's profit

If the salaries of officers, especially deck and engine officers, that would be a result of a contract negotiation with the officer's union, and if it dropped by 40%, there would be an exodus from cruise ships.  Cruise ships tend to pay officers less than what they would earn on one of their home country's cargo ships, so with a significant reduction in officer pay, those guys would bail to other jobs.

There is no "excess amount" of DSC, or if there is, it goes to crew welfare (crew parties, crew gym, lounge, or internet cafe improvements, etc), not to cruise line profits.  And, as I believe someone noted on this thread, there is a minimum wage for seafarers, so even if their base wage is $50 (and I doubt that in today's crewing, with the MLC in effect), if the DSC is removed sufficiently to reduce their base wage below $641/month, then the cruise line has to step in and make up the difference.  That $641 is based on a 40 hour work week, which no seafarer works (80+ is normal), and every hour over 40 per week is paid at 125% of the base.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There is no "excess amount" of DSC, or if there is, it goes to crew welfare (crew parties, crew gym, lounge, or internet cafe improvements, etc), not to cruise line profits.  

Thank you!  I just wanted to repeat your words which directly contradict the belief of some that cruise lines skim money from their employees tips to divert to their bottom line.

8 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

RCL earnings will be out next week.  Not optimistic, but interested in how their results track vs NCLH and CCL and hearing what Fain has to say.

I'm predicting they will show a loss for the quarter! 😊 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, molly361 said:

I forgot what it is called but the TA we have our cruises booked with in Canada has some sort of vendor default insurance.  That or all Canadian TA's have it. 

Only for Ontario, not Canada.  TICO.  See the link attached if you want more info on this travel fund that is supposed to cover you if the cruise company goes belly up.

https://www.tico.ca/consumers/overview

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

TICO.  Only through Ontario based travel agents. Covers cruise line and airline failures. 

Ken, looks like you beat me to the response, but I included a link for those interested.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bigrednole said:

This is not news. All of them will be impacted. If they are not sailing come January, they will all seek bankruptcy protections. The first things that will go are FCCs. After that, it will be using collateral to cover until they can cruise. The government is doing to cruise lines the same thing they have done to 75% of the small businesses in this country. They are choosing who remains and who goes under.

One solution I could foresee is a lot of cruising out of the Bahamas. If they can find an inexpensive way to get travelers from port cities to the Bahamas and cruise from there, they can get around the CDC to operate. But in the end, the government needs to end the stranglehold on the country. With a 99.97% survival rate, we have to accept the fact that it is here, it is not going away, and you have to start living again. Those that are highly susceptible and in high risk class need to stay home unfortunately.

That is some pretty horrific playing with numbers.

The survival rate (people died v people infected) in USA is 96.7%.

To put that into context, if you're on Oasis of the Seas at full capacity and the virus spreads to everyone 270 people die....that's quite alot I'd think?

Maybe the reason the US is failing so horrifically is because people think playing with the numbers to try and make it look good works and that somehow will make the virus go away.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tapi said:

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Oasis of the Seas for June 2021. $74pppn. 

Before booking check out a UK travel agent too.

Typically US agents are cheaper but for us this year UK agent saved us alot of money.

• Like 1