No Cruising until July?

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If the CDC is to blame, why isn't the rest of the world sailing? Could it possibly be that the ivory towers in Miami have some culpability in this? What exactly have they done to get the ships sailing again, except waste money on a Blue Ribbon Panel? It's been going on 11 months since this started and I don't recall one update on what they've accomplished so far except "We are working on it". 

It's been plenty publicized in recent weeks that all the major American lines are stuck in idle because the CDC won't give them any additional guidance on the return to sail protocol.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's been plenty publicized in recent weeks that all the major American lines are stuck in idle because the CDC won't give them any additional guidance on the return to sail protocol.

It's still all speculation nobody knows what the CDC/Cruiselines have communicated with each. 

Sure the cruiselines have publicized the "Safe Sailing Guidelines" and CDC has issued the 30/60 days conditions. What we don't know is if all have agreed to each other's conditions/protocols.

When they are all on the same page, then and only then will they announce they have come to a mutual agreement.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It is not the CDC, it is the virus.

Once the virus is under control there will be a return to sailing. Not before.

With new variants popping up here and there around the globe there will be tighter restrictions on and off.  Countries will sporadically go into lockdown.

Ships may go into lockdown and you may not be let off.  Whole ship in quarantine, especially if it is a variant a country does not want let in.  FYI, no travel insurance covers quarantine since it is a foreseeable event.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Even if the CDC gives the go ahead I doubt there will be Alaska or New England/Canada cruises this year.  The Canadian government will likely not open ports until after the general public is vaccinated and they have stated it will be September by the time they start vaccinating the general public. 

48 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

It is not the CDC, it is the virus.

Once the virus is under control there will be a return to sailing. Not before.

With new variants popping up here and there around the globe there will be tighter restrictions on and off.  Countries will sporadically go into lockdown.

Ships may go into lockdown and you may not be let off.  Whole ship in quarantine, especially if it is a variant a country does not want let in.  FYI, no travel insurance covers quarantine since it is a foreseeable event.

New variants have popped up since day one. That's how viruses work.   Just for some reason we're scared of new variants with covid but not other viruses, largely due to computer modeling.  Remember that UK variant that was supposedly 70% more contagious (spit out by a computer model)?  They've since found it really isn't that much more contagious , if any more, than any other strain.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

New variants have popped up since day one. That's how viruses work.   Just for some reason we're scared of new variants with covid but not other viruses, largely due to computer modeling.  Remember that UK variant that was supposedly 70% more contagious (spit out by a computer model)?  They've since found it really isn't that much more contagious , if any more, than any other strain.

I think we may have more to worry about with the South African variant and possible more to come.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Publicized where? I’ve read nothing or seen anything on tv that validates that? What American lines? RCL has one ship flagged in the U.S., all the rest are flagged in foreign countries to skirt pay and working conditions they would have to abide to if they were truly American. If they don’t like it leave, that’s what anybody who complains about any aspect of cruising is told repeatedly on these boards.  

On 1/30/2021 at 3:38 AM, livingonthebeach said:

Port Canaveral, when doing its budget for the year, believes there will be no cruising until July.

Is that July 2021, or 2022?

Just kidding.  I hope.

This is interesting, there are 30M people in Canada and there are 23M ahead of me. 

So...my husband and I were discussing your post and the surprising fact that Canada only has 37 M people and it is nearly the same size as the US. :classic_biggrin: We did not know that. We came to the conclusion that Canada needs more people! :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Coralc said:

So...my husband and I were discussing your post and the surprising fact that Canada only has 37 M people and it is nearly the same size as the US. :classic_biggrin: We did not know that. We came to the conclusion that Canada needs more people! :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

the last I heard is Canada is bigger in area than the US

• Thanks 1

I'm sure it probably is. I stink at geography too. :classic_biggrin: We are still in shock that you only have that many people. It really seems as though the US should export some. <jk> :classic_biggrin::classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc

The below was taken from CDC website.  Notice the Nov 2021 date.

October 30, 2020 Update

On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. This Order is effective upon signature and was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon on November 4, 2020.

This Order shall remain in effect until the earliest of

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • November 1, 2021.

See the attached Order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 40 pages] for the full requirements.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:54 PM, lenquixote66 said:

July 24,2023 is when cruises shall resume in the US

On 1/30/2021 at 6:43 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Laugh if you wish but I shall be correct.

Can you please explain Nostradamus how the various cruise lines can survive what would be by your insane hypothesis, a 40 month shutdown?

On 1/30/2021 at 8:44 PM, cured said:

Just curious where you got your degree in infectious disease from? Or was it epidemiology?  I would ask for a refund.

I personally wear at least 6.  Sometimes I wear my Halloween Michael Myers mask too.  Scares Covid19 away and keeps people like you away from me.  

Still haven't seen a hospital collapse yet.

IMG_2855.jpeg

IMG_2856.jpeg

14 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The below was taken from CDC website.  Notice the Nov 2021 date.

October 30, 2020 Update

On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. This Order is effective upon signature and was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon on November 4, 2020.

This Order shall remain in effect until the earliest of

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • November 1, 2021.

See the attached Order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 40 pages] for the full requirements.

Nothing to read into there. That's just saying the order lasts for 1 year unless it's modified before that.

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

I personally wear at least 6.  Sometimes I wear my Halloween Michael Myers mask too.  Scares Covid19 away and keeps people like you away from me.  

Still haven't seen a hospital collapse yet.

Last time I was at one of my MD's office in November, she had on a gown, two masks, gloves AND the face shield!!   I think she was a little freaked out and she freaked me out too!!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Can you please explain Nostradamus how the various cruise lines can survive what would be by your insane hypothesis, a 40 month shutdown?

I am LenQuixote de La Mancha and not Nostradamus.Laugh if you will but when you see that my prediction is accurate a simple acknowledgement will suffice.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Publicized where? I’ve read nothing or seen anything on tv that validates that? What American lines? RCL has one ship flagged in the U.S., all the rest are flagged in foreign countries to skirt pay and working conditions they would have to abide to if they were truly American. If they don’t like it leave, that’s what anybody who complains about any aspect of cruising is told repeatedly on these boards.  

NCL has the only US flagged ship "Pride of America".

Edited by beerman2

53 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am LenQuixote de La Mancha and not Nostradamus.Laugh if you will but when you see that my prediction is accurate a simple acknowledgement will suffice.

OK Lenny, but will you still be on God's green Earth in 2 1/2 years?  Unless my inference is off, you should be about 90 since I remember in another thread that your father was born in 1895.