First Large Cruise Line to Require Passenger Vaccination

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Are kids even allowed on Crystal at all? 

Children are allowed but you probably won't find many onboard. So losing that demographic won't be a big deal for Crystal like it would be for a family friendly cruise line like Royal. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

It will be interesting to see how soon the other major lines join in, especially if it becomes apparent that the 2021 season isn't going to start as envisioned.  I know in areas of NY and NJ, barring a miracle, the first phase of vaccination won't be complete until Oct/Nov. Winter sailings may be the the new (but probably silent) projection for cruises to resume from ports in the States other than Florida.

The first injections of the Pfizer vaccine began in New York on December 14th. 2020.  

With the Moderna vaccine now in the mix MORE than a million (close to two) people are being vaccinated per day.  So if second follow up shots were given as per the requirements there have been a million or more immunized patients per day as of January 14th.

That is a rapidly growing demographic that would be able to sail as each month rolls by.

Anything is possible..

Our November cruise (Anthem-Bayonne) is over 250 days from now.  I would expect that by then a massive number of potential cruisers would qualify to sail under a vaccination requirement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

The first injections of the Pfizer vaccine began in New York on December 14th. 2020.  

With the Moderna vaccine now in the mix MORE than a million (close to two) people are being vaccinated per day.  So if second follow up shots were given as per the requirements there have been a million or more immunized patients per day as of January 14th.

That is a rapidly growing demographic that would be able to sail as each month rolls by.

Anything is possible..

Our November cruise (Anthem-Bayonne) is over 250 days from now.  I would expect that by then a massive number of potential cruisers would qualify to sail under a vaccination requirement.

They're already saying that the Pfizer vaccine is 85% effective at 1 dose and it no longer needs crazy low temperature storage. For all we know only 1 dose will be required in the future....if at all. Still too soon to tell but definitely positive news and headed fast in the right direction finally. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I do think that Crystal and Saga, Saga also has two large ships, so Crystal was not the first with large ships,  could portend a vaccination requirement. Both those lines are niche cruise lines. Certainly mainstream cruise lines are thinking about it.  I personally would favor Royal Caribbean having a vaccination requirement. 

Same here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here for the comments.

6 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

Ha. Same here. This should be fun. 

5 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Me too

I thought a picture of popcorn was mandatory for those that are "just here for the comments"?   At least, that's according to John's  "How many CC members to change a light bulb" post  on the humor thread. 😉

And wasting no time going off-topic, we are now arguing over the definition of "large"?   What next, arguing over the definition of "is"?   (that should fulfill the political aspect, also according to the aforementioned humor post). 😃

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OZ. said:
6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I do think that Crystal and Saga, Saga also has two large ships, so Crystal was not the first with large ships,  could portend a vaccination requirement. Both those lines are niche cruise lines. Certainly mainstream cruise lines are thinking about it.  I personally would favor Royal Caribbean having a vaccination requirement. 

Same here.

Me too and I am astounded that everyone on here doesn’t want to be on a ship where every passenger has been vaccinated.  I do not think that the mainstream cruise lines will allow any unvaccinated passengers.  The last thing they want us an outbreak.  I don’t think that they will sail before kids are vaccinated, but remember their largest demographic will be vaccinated, those over 65 with $!   

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I thought a picture of popcorn was mandatory for those that are "just here for the comments"?   At least, that's according to John's  "How many CC members to change a light bulb" post  on the humor thread. 😉

And wasting no time going off-topic, we are now arguing over the definition of "large"?   What next, arguing over the definition of "is"?   (that should fulfill the political aspect, also according to the aforementioned humor post). 😃

But this is not the humor thread but a discussion about whether size really does matter. 😇

• Haha 4

Crystal is without a doubt a luxury cruise line---They have 4 ocean ships:

Crystal Serenity -1040 passengers

Crystal Symphony -960 passengers

Crystal Espirit (Yacht) -62 passengers

Crystal Endevour (expedition ship  --under construction in Germany) -200 passengers

Most experienced luxury line passengers would rank them 1st  --with Silversea and Seabourn a very close 2nd.

Of course thsi is a forum where everthing is debatable. My wife and I have taken 45 cruises--mostly on these lines.

When with grandchildren we take RCCl, Norweigian, Celebrity.

We have also cruisedf on Windstar and Seadream.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

Me too and I am astounded that everyone on here doesn’t want to be on a ship where every passenger has been vaccinated.  I do not think that the mainstream cruise lines will allow any unvaccinated passengers.  The last thing they want us an outbreak.  I don’t think that they will sail before kids are vaccinated, but remember their largest demographic will be vaccinated, those over 65 with $!   

It is sometimes strange encountering those with whom you do not agree. 

I am not interested in taking an experimental vaccine. If that prevents me from taking part in future cruises then so be it. 

I would also not enjoy a cruise where I was forced to wear a mask. Or “social distance.” Or do anything other than what I have always done onboard prior to this idiocy. 

Edited by ChuckRambo
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

Me too and I am astounded that everyone on here doesn’t want to be on a ship where every passenger has been vaccinated.  I do not think that the mainstream cruise lines will allow any unvaccinated passengers.  The last thing they want us an outbreak.  

Agree!

No jab, no sail works for me! (I am looking forward to vaccination)

Edited by Missusdubbya
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, ChuckRambo said:

I am not interested in taking an experimental vaccine. If that prevents me from taking part in future cruises then so be it. 

I would also not enjoy a cruise where I was forced to wear a mask. Or “social distance.” Or do anything other than what I have always done onboard prior to this idiocy. 

Everyone is different.

Personally, I'm looking forward to missing out on the full blown muster drill, I'm sure you can make believe it is till happening if you like. 

To me, social distance on a cruise means less crowding and that gets a thumbs up.

Tom

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ChuckRambo said:

Hmm. Another new account. Almost the same language as other recent new antivax accounts. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

It's always a good idea to read the entire article and not just the headline. Masks and social distancing will still be in effect. 

It seems like they think they will be in effect forever as well. And they may be. We shall see.

• Like 1

My husband and I both got our second shots last week (no side effects either btw). We were able to thanks to our state prioritizing teachers. DD is only 17, and who knows how long until she is able to be vaccinated. I expect she will need to be for college in the fall (just my suspicion). I hope that they do require everyone to be vaccinated. Sounds like a good plan to me. Hoping DD would have a chance to get hers in time for our December sailing 🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

This is my only concern. I want to be vaccinated, and so does my family. In fact I have had my first shot already, one week ago, and the other adults in our home are on lists in Phase 1B. We do have a cruise booked late this summer and we do have a 15 year old teen. There are no pediatric shots yet. If we end up missing the cruise because of one unvaccinated teen it will be a bummer, to say the least. Even so, we are prepared and knew August might be too optimistic a schedule.

Here's a good read regarding vaccines and cruise ships. I think we'll see a mandate of vaccined passengers and crew. At least in the very early start up period. I understand this doesn't match up to some. But I'm one that doesn't believe cruising will actually begin until a certain percentile of the population is vaccinated. Soon enough there will be a large enough segment of the population ready to go and I mean ready by vaxing up. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/02/16/heres-what-may-push-cruise-lines-to-mandate-passenger-vaccinations/?fbclid=IwAR0N-e5uZgMsk1iA1kkOUq7DZdBEzm1E3QVjkh2DBDkQ7RF_TPi9yzWuME0&sh=2bd617cef9ce

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Is "is" what "was" was?🤣

• Haha 1