MDR vs Windjammer for breakfast and lunch

Hi folks. I know that the MDR has more upscale offerings than Windjammer at dinner, but what about breakfast and lunch? Are there food items that the MRD will have that Windjammer will not, or is it more of a question of the ambiance and service you get in the MDR. Thanks!

Sit down service...quieter in the MDR for both lunch and breakfast.  🙂 

Food...eh...always much more variety in the WJ, but I actually think the selections on the MDR for lunch is just fine for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Food...eh...always much more variety in the WJ, but I actually think the selections on the MDR for lunch is just fine for me. 

Agree. Hope RC brings back the Tutti salad to the MDR. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

As people that used to think the Windjammer had limited quality and variety,  We now think that some of the best variety and tasting food is available in the Windjammer at lunch and dinner. (Not every day’s meals) 

We've always been WJ people b/c wife is picky so she likes more options and I like to eat. We especially enjoy the dinners there when they have cook to order stations (pasta, stir fry, crepes for dessert, etc.)

That said, we've tried the MDR for lunch and didn't really care for it anyway. Different strokes, different experiences, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Totally agree there!   Just off Mariner 8 night, asked dining host when they Tutti salad bar was coming back, and he thought it would be so soon.   Maybe...hopefully?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haven't been on as many cruises as some of you above, but for us, we like the vibe of the MDR vs buffet (on any ship we have sailed).

For most of the year I am scoffing down lunch while working on my computer. Even weekends are usually not a sit-down affair.

Nothing wrong with the food in either venue, but I would rather sit the hour or so in a quieter and less crowded atmosphere.

As stated above, it's whatever suits you best.

• Like 1

I prefer the Windjammer for both breakfast and lunch.  I find these meals in the dining room go heavy on the bread.  I prefer lots of protein, fruit, and veggies for breakfast and lunch.  I also prefer to choose my own portion sizes.  

Just my preference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We prefer WJ for breakfast.  Lunch we mix it up depending on what the lunch menu in MDR is.   I always go when they have the lamb pita for lunch.   Do like the Royal chicken sandwich and mozzarella sticks too.

But I like salad bar in WJ.   

Also like the kummelweck for lunch in parks or Cafe 270 depending on the ship.

• Like 2

We like buffets,like seeing what is on offer & picking our portion sizes(probably a bad thing for me with deserts!) so we tend to have most of our meals at WJ,loved the decor in Icon on Quantum October 2019 but the service was awful,portions mean & quality not good to say the least.

Of course we are all different & experiences seem to vary from ship to ship too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

What they said 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

As people that used to think the Windjammer had limited quality and variety,  We now think that some of the best variety and tasting food is available in the Windjammer at lunch and dinner. (Not every day’s meals) 

Recently off Harmony and the WJ had some of the best food/options we've seen in a long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Recently off Harmony and the WJ had some of the best food/options we've seen in a long time.

Since I'll be on Harmony in 8 days (tests willing), care to share a few items that stood out? Someone else that was on Harmony recently really enjoyed the cook to order station for dinner but that's always good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

Hi folks. I know that the MDR has more upscale offerings than Windjammer at dinner, but what about breakfast and lunch? Are there food items that the MRD will have that Windjammer will not, or is it more of a question of the ambiance and service you get in the MDR. Thanks!

We have never had breakfast in any MDR since they usually close at 9 AM which is usually when we start breakfast.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Agree, WJ has improved in both areas, Lunch's and Dinner's. Most times I don't even bother with MD anymore. 

I haven't sailed since the pandemic yet.  However, pre-pandemic, I preferred MDR over Windjammer, since you don't have to hunt seats down and save them.  I also loved the tutti salad bar.  Another option is the solarium cafe.  Even though selection is smaller, I enjoyed the less hectic atmosphere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davekathy said:

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Totally agree there!   Just off Mariner 8 night, asked dining host when they Tutti salad bar was coming back, and he thought it would be so soon.   Maybe...hopefully?  

I asked HD Keith on the Navigator a couple of weeks ago.

HE said that it is gone for good.

😮 

9 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

Morning, Noon, Night, there are often times when we would rather eat at WJ. (1) We don't like to be waiting on servers to get food, making dinners into 2+ hours. (2) We often get food in the MDR which is really bad, at the WJ, you just go get something else and you'll be eating again in a few minutes versus another 1/2 hour+ to get replacement food in the restaurant.  

• Thanks 2

Sea days we will always do the MDR for lunch.  We're usually in the WJ for breakfast and as well as a late lunch on port days.  I think the food and presentation is a little better in MDR for lunch but your variety is much better in the WJ.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, island lady said:

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I asked HD Keith on the Navigator a couple of weeks ago.

HE said that it is gone for good.

😮 

That would be a YES…….  or a NO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We only eat at the windjammer Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Always

enjoy Cafe's and pizza for snacks. Not to mention other lines here

but we enjoy BBQ and Deli (I think you know to whom I speak.)😉

• Like 1

I travel solo, and usually eat meals anywhere but the MDR. I prefer to choose what I know I can eat, and not waste food. I can chose a little bit of this and a little bit of that. If I’m on a ship that has a Solarium Bistro, Cafe 270, or a Park Cafe, many times I will choose those for breakfast and lunch. And as somebody mentioned, I intermittent fast, so don’t eat breakfast usually until 9-10. Plus, I can get my food quick, and be finished in a short amount of time, to go do other things. I won’t sit for 2 hours for a meal. Some enjoy that, I don’t. It is always good that there is something for everybody. 

• Like 1