The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 7th, 2022

richwmn

Just now, RedneckBob said:

You are correct. It was the Maasdam. Met you at M&G which y’all were in charge and did a great job. October 10, 2009. I believe the M&G was 10/11/09 at the old Piano Bar at 11 am. Don’t ask me for more details because I can remember more 🤪

Thanks for jogging my memory. I do remember the M&G was in the the piano bar. After hosting and setting up M&G’s on many cruises I have retired from those duties. We had some huge Roll Calls in those days!

I have often felt that @RedneckBob sure sounds familiar and now I know. Funny then and now!

Still have a couple of Hal bookings but we are enjoying the Azamara cruise experience these days. 
Those repos from Canada were great and we hope to do another one down the road or should I say sea lane?

• Like 20

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We enjoy salami once in a while in sandwiches and thinly sliced, it's great to put on a charcuterie board.  We are fortunate to have a wonderful letter carrier - I always leave a little cooler filled with bottled water for him in the summer, and in winter, a basket filled with hand warmers for him to take on his route.  A great day for those of us with the tradition of a beer in every port!

Well, we're at the point in the year where it's tank tops and shorts, but in the early mornings and late evenings, we're in bunny hugs and jeans.  We regularly go down to single digit temperatures overnight, and although we can still get temps in the high 20's, I notice it's taking longer for it to warm up during the day as well.  Soon it will be time to put away the lightweight clothing and bring out the woolies.  Sigh.

Not a lot on the agenda today, but I should drop some things off at the Salvation Army store, so I might just continue on and do some retail therapy.  LOL  DH is heading off to a music store with a friend who just turned 75, who wants to learn to play the saxaphone.  Although DH doesn't play horns, he does know a lot of the people at a few of the stores, so will be able to introduce or friend to someone who can help him.

Update on our provincial situation - the one suspect is still at large; at this point, the police seem to have absolutely no idea where he is.  There is a possibility he has broken into an unused building and is hiding out, but that's just one theory.  We remain vigilant.

@marshhawkI just love reading your stories - what an interesting life you've lead!  And I think you're a saint to keep on walking your neighbour's dog.  You should leave a bill in her mailbox for your services - that's not being rude, that's being real.

I'm not sure about today's menu suggestion - although I do know DH wouldn't enjoy it, so I think I'll give it a pass.  DH is going to pick up a couple of individual quiches on the way home this afternoon, so all I have to do is make a tossed salad and we're ready to enjoy dinner on the deck.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, cheering on those with celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Thanks for jogging my memory. I do remember the M&G was in the the piano bar. After hosting and setting up M&G’s on many cruises I have retired from those duties. We had some huge Roll Calls in those days!

I have often felt that @RedneckBob sure sounds familiar and now I know. Funny then and now!

Still have a couple of Hal bookings but we are enjoying the Azamara cruise experience these days. 
Those repos from Canada were great and we hope to do another one down the road or should I say sea lane?

Can you tell me what Azamara offers that you like?

• Like 10

Good morning! Thank you all for the daily. Now that the grandkids are back to school (no babysitting or drop ins until the weekend) and DD-who-lives-in-the-basement is working every day this month, there is time for me.

I would love the Meal suggestion, but we are having curry tomorrow, so it will be sausages and rice (or pierogi) for dinner. I'm not a Jim Beam fan, so I'll stick to my moscato or Malibu rum and orange juice while I catch up on The Amazing Race Canada this evening.

We have done 2 Disney cruises (never with little ones lol) out of Port Canaveral, but our last cruise from PC was NCL from March 7-13 2020-yes THAT March! COVID had hit the ship (although they never informed us until 2 weeks after disembarkation). We sat in our cabins praying that the US would let us off, since at that point, countries were refusing entry across the world. Once we hit the pier, we hightailed it to the parking garage and started the long drive home to Ontario. One thing about Port Canaveral is the view as you crest the hill coming in and see the ships. ❤️

Blessings to all! Have a wonderful day! 

• Like 27

Good Morning All,

We’re off to another hot day. Yesterday the humidity increased in the evening and we couldn’t decide whether to open up the windows or stay closed, as the air temperature inside and outside were about the same. We continue to have a stream of smoke from the fire in Hemet over us, but it’s so high that there’s no smell.

Love the quote from the apostle Paul of Tarsus. 

Today’s wine:

Schlink Haus 2020 Spätlese Riesling (Nahe) German

Today we have another Reisling. I’m finding it for between $9 and $14

Spätlese (late harvest) A wine of superior quality. Harmoniously balanced between natural ripe sweetness and acidity intensive in concentration with rich and ripe fruit flavors.

Ranked as #94 in Top 100 Best Buys 2021 for Wine Enthusiast.

Soapy floral tones perfume flavors of preserved peach and white grapefruit in this vibrantly fresh, fruity Spätlese. Medium-sweet and forward in style, it's a juicy white wine backed by squirts of tangerine acidity. Best consumed young. ANNA LEE C. IIJIMA

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

We’re off to another hot day. Yesterday the humidity increased in the evening and we couldn’t decide whether to open up the windows or stay closed, as the air temperature inside and outside were about the same. We continue to have a stream of smoke from the fire in Hemet over us, but it’s so high that there’s no smell.

Love the quote from the apostle Paul of Tarsus. 

Today’s wine:

Schlink Haus 2020 Spätlese Riesling (Nahe) German

Today we have another Reisling. I’m finding it for between $9 and $14

Spätlese (late harvest) A wine of superior quality. Harmoniously balanced between natural ripe sweetness and acidity intensive in concentration with rich and ripe fruit flavors.

Ranked as #94 in Top 100 Best Buys 2021 for Wine Enthusiast.

Soapy floral tones perfume flavors of preserved peach and white grapefruit in this vibrantly fresh, fruity Spätlese. Medium-sweet and forward in style, it's a juicy white wine backed by squirts of tangerine acidity. Best consumed young. ANNA LEE C. IIJIMA

Have a great day everyone!

Soapy floral tones... hmmm not on my list of favorites..

• Like 8
  • Haha 11

12 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

our last cruise from PC was NCL from March 7-13 2020-yes THAT March! COVID had hit the ship (although they never informed us until 2 weeks after disembarkation). We sat in our cabins praying that the US would let us off, since at that point, countries were refusing entry across the world.

Friends of mine were on the Norwegian Epic a bit before that on an itinerary that started and was supposed to end at San Juan, but while they were at sea, Puerto Rico barred cruise ships and they disembarked at Port Canaveral. I advised them in email to rebook their flights as soon as they knew where they would disembark, but they didn't; they thought that NCL would arrange it. They are still talking about the long wait and horrible routing to fly home.

• Like 17

Good morning to all. Again, sunny and dry. Temp is 57F but it is supposed to be 90 by mid-afternoon. A couple more days and we are due for a break in the heat. We are still not as bad off as others. And, I have not heard from my friends in Hemet..... I imagine they have lots on their minds right now. They are not in the evacuation area, but close. 

Little new here. Am waiting for the report from the cardiologist. Wearing that heart monitor for a week was a pain, but doable. I suspect I am going to be told to reduce stress. Thinking about scheduling my covid Fall booster since I am over 6 months since my last one. Otherwise.... just chugging along.

Take care all. 

Susan

• Like 27

Had a talk with my realtor and he said I could finish up the hallway and then cease painting operations.  He suggested packing up stuff I don't need and just making things look fresh.  Photographer is coming Friday and we may be listed by Friday evening.

• Like 29

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.--Anonymous, Holy Bible; New International Version

This quote is often used at weddings. It is from 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. The Apostle Paul is generally accepted as the author of 1 Corinthians. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Jim Beam Black Hot Toddy cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam Black®
1 part Honey
2 parts Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Hot Water
Lemon Peel

Instructions
Put bourbon, honey, and lemon juice in a 6-ounce mug. Top off with hot water and stir until honey is dissolved. Garnish with a lemon peel (optional).

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 9.04.01 AM.png

It is good for what ails you!   Many a contemporary, with mother bread and buttered in Ireland, would give to a sick child.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Can you tell me what Azamara offers that you like?

Bob, First of all Hal has been getting pretty repetitive to us. How many times can you watch the same dance act, snakes chasing lizards, same menus etc. We gave Azamara a try and loved the small ship atmosphere of only 600+ guest. Very talented cruise and assistant CD’s who have show business backgrounds, talented band with brass, pianist/ singer, Filipino band all bring back memories of when we started with Hal.

Small ships can sail where larger ships can’t, overnights and late sailings. BBQ’s around the pool (Weber Charcoal Grills), large Sunday Brunch and the list goes on.

Smaller cabins and balconies then Hal but we love the boutique atmosphere of the ships. Return from an excursion and HD , CD are handing you a bubbly, sax player playing at ramp. Officers and Captain are very interactive with guest. Our first night aboard the Captain came up and introduced himself and sat down and talked with us.

We enjoyed our first cruise on the Quest last March and now we are booked on three more cruises plus their 2024 155 day World Cruise.

If I could make a suggestion; go on You Tube and take some tours of their ships, watch a White Night Party on deck or an Azamazing Evening. 

Bottom line is sometimes change is needed to bring back that excitement of when we first started cruising. Azamara succeeded.

Bruce

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, Dailyites!  I am early, as Pat has gone golfing and I am on my own.   All is quiet here, it is nice and peaceful.  Our weather is changing, still quite warm, but just in the low 70's.  Perfect, as far as I am concerned.  It cools off at night but the sun is still warm.  I transplanted 3 of DD's dahlias into my courtyard a few days ago , I know it's a very bad time to do it, but they had been terribly eaten by the deer and I figured it was kill or cure!  I am watering them by hand, they get a bit droopy in the afternoons, but one now has a flower opening.  I do not plan to dig them up for the winter;  they are on their own for that, but I will mulch them heavily with leaves.  I have one in my "outside" bed which has been in the ground happily for 3 years, but I do have to put a protective barrier around it while it grows.  They are just so tasty....    The hummingbirds are buzzing around a lot.  We will take the feeders down for the two weeks we are away, but there are many of our neighbours also feeding them, so they shouldn't suffer too much.

The new boosters are supposed to be arriving this week here in BC.  It will be the Moderna one - I don't think the other has been approved in Canada yet.  We will put off getting it for a bit, I'm not sure where we are on the eligible list, anyway.  DD does need her second booster, so I hope she gets it pdq.  

I saw the doctor yesterday for my Prolia shot, and I asked him about the results of the ECG they did on me in the hospital a few weeks ago.  He checked and said he had not received any word about it.  We decided "no news is good news."    But he explained that the ischemic colitis can mean there could also be some sort of blockage to the heart. He asked if I was breathless at all, and I said yes, when I was gardening in the heat.   Encouraging...

Haven't been to the port, I always like to add cauliflower to curry, reminds me of the amazing cauliflowers in Calcutta, the quote is lovely, and I wish you all the best for today!  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

4 days for Cunnorl (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
luvteaching (Eurodam to 9/10). cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I guess we will be on the same cruise. @cunnorlsee you in a few days.

• Like 14

As always, @richwmn, thanks for the Days and maps.  I expect I am not the only one who got a little misty with the memories the quote brought of my wedding day.

We visited KSC several years ago on a land trip; our first stop at Port Canaveral is about 6 weeks away, and we are happy to return to the space center.

Our weather is still quite warm (low 90’s), but the humidity is markedly reduced.  This makes my world much more pleasant!

Best to everyone ~~

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I think there is a mix up. We are booked for 10/8 thru 1/3/23 on the Noordam.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Oops.  I have you correctly on my upcoming celebrations list but messed up on the current celebrations.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Another lovely fall morning here in the PNW.  Low 70's, heating up to the mid 80's this weekend, then back down again.  DH will be getting the last of the pressure washing done today, and once things dry out I'll be doing a little painting (wine after painting, not during LOL)

I've never been a fan of salami, just don't like the flavor.  Right now we have a great mail person, but we sure had a bad one for a few years.  Suffice it to say, he should have been fired, but according to his supervisor they couldn't get rid of him. 😡  The only beer I like is Guinness.  Not a fan of lighter beers.

Will pass on the meal and drink, and this Riesling sounds a bit sweet for me.  We will visit Port Canaveral for the first time next month on our Quebec City-Fort Lauderdale cruise that many from the Daily will also be aboard.  We'll be taking the tour to The Kennedy Space Center.

I have a couple questions about testing and the latest booster.  Many people here in the states have mentioned that testing isn't free like it was in the past.  They were referring to the testing done at pharmacies etc.  We've always had our testing done at our clinic, they have a drive-thru 7 days/week for that purpose and we have never, ever been charged.  The last time we did it was a couple months ago for travel.  Have things changed recently?  I know either Medicare or our Tricare picked up the tab those times.

The other question is if you know which booster, Moderna or Pfizer, we should get this time.  Our initial vaccines were Pfizer, as was the first booster.  The second booster we chose Moderna because we'd heard it can be good to mix and match.  As far as I know, the only difference with the latest one is at what age it's recommended -- am I wrong?

• Like 18

Good morning from a partly sunny central Texas.  I'm late this morning since we got a few outside chores done before it got hot.  It was 71F when we started and 75F when we finished.  It was pleasant in the carport, but the sun was already making it warm out of the shade.  At least, three things are crossed off the to do list, plus some straightening up in the house.

This afternoon, we'll finally go to our favorite Tex-Mex reataurant for our delayed anniversary dinner.  We usually go shortly before 3pm to take advantage of the lunch specials, which are the right size for us.  A bonus, is this is also the time the place is the least crowded.

We like salami, but don't have it often.  Our regular letter carrier is good, and with a new Postmaster, I've read the service in Quartzsite is improving.  I used to drink beer regularly, but in the last few years, I've lost my taste for it.  I always prefer a Pilsner.

I like the quote very much.

We'll pass on the meal since we are not curry eaters.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine.  Late harvest Rieslings are a little sweet for me.

We visited the Kennedy Space Center in the mid 1970s on our way home from Disney  World., but we have not been to Port Canaveral.

@SusieKIslandGirl  it looks like your in the right place for one of the days.

@marshhawk  Ann, I liked the story about Corrie and the autographs.  Good luck with the new campaign.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope the the resident teen makes the JV team.

@dfish Debbie, you have a busy week ahead.  I hope you get the house listed Friday.  BTW, since your sister is a neat painter, I guess she can be an honorary member of the messy painters wine group, especially if she provides wine. 😉🍷

@durangoscots  Susan, I'm sending positive thoughts that your friends continue to be safe from the fire.  I hope you get good news from the cardiologist, and that therenis less stress at the shelter since the work is almost finished.

@Vict0riann Ann, I join you and your doctor in thinking "no news is good news".

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day.

I'm late (for me) posting today, seems that our router conked out and needed to be replaced so we were without internet for quite a while.  (no, I'm not addicted, really 😉)

I like salami and an occasional beer.  We don't get door-to-door mail delivery (we have a box in the post office, that's what happens when you live in a small town).

Love the quote.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I have a couple questions about testing and the latest booster.  Many people here in the states have mentioned that testing isn't free like it was in the past.  They were referring to the testing done at pharmacies etc.  We've always had our testing done at our clinic, they have a drive-thru 7 days/week for that purpose and we have never, ever been charged.  The last time we did it was a couple months ago for travel.  Have things changed recently?  I know either Medicare or our Tricare picked up the tab those times.

The other question is if you know which booster, Moderna or Pfizer, we should get this time.  Our initial vaccines were Pfizer, as was the first booster.  The second booster we chose Moderna because we'd heard it can be good to mix and match.  As far as I know, the only difference with the latest one is at what age it's recommended -- am I wrong?

I know that at least here, they only way there is no charge for testing is if you have symptoms. Travel testing is no longer free and at some places like CVS and Walgreens it is quite costly. I have been doing a lot of research because of an upcoming trip that requires testing. I finally decided I would order the "free" government tests and an online proctoring service. I just received the tests and they are expired!  So I am back to the drawing board. It is very frustrating! 

The new booster is supposed to be more effective against the latest variants.

We are scheduled for Friday to receive ours.

• Like 11