Wearing masks onboard

I was just curious if people are still wearing their masks anytime while onboard? We just came off the Anthem on Friday and read here that there were about 250 reported Covid cases and those are the ones reported. We are 'extra' seniors and we have adopted the policy to always wear masks while indoors on the ship. There were several times (maybe even more than that) when we seemed to be the only ones wearing masks in entire venues.

Is anyone still masking up.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

I was just curious if people are still wearing their masks anytime while onboard? We just came off the Anthem on Friday and read here that there were about 250 reported Covid cases and those are the ones reported. We are 'extra' seniors and we have adopted the policy to always wear masks while indoors on the ship. There were several times (maybe even more than that) when we seemed to be the only ones wearing masks in entire venues.

Cheers

Len

Well Len, I am not sure why are are asking the question. You have the most current information on mask wearing on ships. It will be the same on [almost] all ships. 

We cruised in December and there were very, very, very few masks to be seen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Well Len, I am not sure why are are asking the question. You have the most current information on mask wearing on ships. It will be the same on [almost] all ships. 

We cruised in December and there were very, very, very few masks to be seen. 

I was just curious to see if we are the only ones still thinking this way.

Cheers

Len

I still think that way and will continue to do so. I (solo) cruised on Allure and Harmony in April and November 2022. I saw a fair number of masks especially in elevators. I wore a mask thru out check in and always put on a mask in elevator area and in the elevator even if empty. Didn't eat in main or specialty dining areas. Breakfast on my balcony each morning. If i was going into a shop etc I masked up. Rode buses in Aruba masked. Taxis masked. I was careful the entire trip(s)  and had no issues. Next cruise is in April. Nothing wrong with wearing masks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

I was just curious if people are still wearing their masks anytime while onboard?

I am in Australia and have recently only done cruises leaving from Australia but I wear a mask because I am immunocompromised and it is a choice of masking and cruising or not going at all.  I would say about 10% of people do.   I've noticed that some crew also wear masks and on both cruises I have done in the past 6 months, as the cruise has progressed, the number of crew wearing masks have increased - in one case all crew were masked by the end of the cruise, reflecting the count of cases on board. 

I appreciate that the vast majority of people don't look twice at me for wearing a mask.  I think one couple might have laughed at me but I couldn't care less.   Each to their own.   I did catch covid on the last cruise and had to take the antivirals (which worked well).   In general in Australia most people mind their own business on the topic - as for most other things as a population we really don't try to push our own views on other people and this was carried over on the cruises I have been on.       

• Like 4

Was on Voyager for 1/6 cruise out of San Juan.  Many people, mostly locals were wearing masks.

Btw was that Yeshiva week?  If so that might explain the high numbers of cases.

Edited by njkruzer

1 hour ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

I'm curious to know how you found out there were 250 cases onboard. Was it announced?  I was on Odyssey in December and many on the FB page reported coming down with Covid but no number was ever given by anyone on the ship or on FB. We had to make an emergency stop in Miami to let off a very sick crew member but we were not told what he was sick from.  A passenger died on that cruise and again, the cruise line was silent on the cause. 

I will be, at least partially, on my cruise next month.  I'm not sure about hallways but definitely for transportation and venues like shows.  I have family members who were on a cruise with a group in October and all of them came back with Covid. 2 of my coworkers are dealing with long Covid and even after a few months can barely manage working one day a week.  I had Covid last year and have no desire to repeat the experience.

FWIW even once Covid fully settles down I'm still going to continue masking up when in public.  I wear a mask at work (by choice), I wear one when I'm shopping.  Aside from catching Covid last year (when I was out at an event and maskless for an evening) these past few years have been the best I've ever had in terms of colds, flus, and allergies. I have a family member who makes my masks for me from fabric that I pick out and they're basically fashion accessories with a function for me now.

• Like 5

We were on Allure in December and didn't wear a mask but there were a few who did. The cruisers would pack in the elevators and if you were in back you were trapped. People would get on and cough or sneeze. We came home with Covid.

We are leaving on Radiance next week and I will likely take a mask and wear it in the elevator if it gets crowded. My experience with Covid wasn't bad but I'm hoping that whatever protection the mask might add will help avoid my getting it again. 

• Like 3

I do not wear a mask. My most recent cruises were the Wonder TA and Navigator New Years cruise. I have also been through several airports in the last 3 months, including waiting in line at SeaTac for 3 1/2 hours on Xmas Eve Day with hundreds of people, trying to rebook a canceled flight. I have not gotten Covid. Last time I was sick was June/2021, when I got Covid. Does taking a daily dose of Magnesium, Zinc, and D3 help? I don’t know. Do I care if people want to wear masks? Nope, doesn’t bother me at all. I try to focus on a healthy lifestyle for myself.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Definitely. DW and I continue to wear masks in public venues, and will do so on our next cruise. 

My niece who has several medical issues wears her mask every place indoors and is going on her first cruise later this year I am sure she will have her mask on . I hate wearing them and a, comfortable not using them but I have all my Covid shots and boosters, I was against the cruise lines not requiring them anymore.

• Like 1

Nope.  We've done 7 cruises since Nov 2021 restart and have only worn masks when they were required..  We also only have worn them on land when required.  We've also never had the virus.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Was on Voyager for 1/6 cruise out of San Juan.  Many people, mostly locals were wearing masks.

Btw was that Yeshiva week?  If so that might explain the high numbers of cases.

I'll second this.  On the same cruise, I'd take a WAG that 10%+ were wearing masks.  Whatever the number, it was not just a few here or there.  Lots of people wearing them in the port areas as well.  

Was on a B2B on the Vision in Nov and Dec. On the 1st leg very few wore masks . We did most of time when out and about in close quarters. On the 2nd leg things changed. Was on the balcony one morning, looked to my right  noticed the ship's captain and crew (about 20 feet from us) were wearing masks. Went into the hallway, noticed all room stewards were masked. Everywhere we went we saw  all crew wearing masks. With that being the case we modified our slightly  relaxed mask routine. At that point we noticed that more cruisers were mimicking crew behavior.

Do what you need to do for your peace of mind and health.

• Like 3

We also were on this cruise. I think if people think mask would protect them go ahead and wear one. This was our #10 since restart. # 5 on Anthem. We were on her on both Thanksgivings, Christmas 2021, New Year 2022 and now.

On Christmas 2021 and New Year 2022 masks were mandatory everywhere unless you sat and ate. Tests were mandatory and we also were tested between cruises B2B. On Antigua we had to wear mask except for the beach. Guess what? We returned with Covid. Then we didn’t get Covid on maskless Enchantment, Oasis. One of us got on Adventure. Didn’t get on Anthem during Thanksgiving 2022 and one of us got now on Anthem Jan 2.

After each of our cruises some  people were reporting Covid. Many in mild or asymptomatic form. 

I think at this point we need to stop worrying about it. Of course people who believe in masks should wear them.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1