The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 16th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Dictionary Day, National Cut Up Your Credit Card Day, and Global Cat Day

If you want to be thought a liar, always tell the truth. - Logan Pearsall Smith

Meal Suggestion for today - Ground Beef Meat Pie
Drink of the Day - Spiced Holly Highball
Wine of the Day - Mascota Vineyards La Mascota Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Kaikoura, New Zealand

Today in History:
1978 Polish Cardinal Karol Wojtyla elected Pope John Paul II
1923 Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio founded

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Huatulco, Mexico eta 10-17

Koningsdam

Kailua Kona, Hawaii 0800-1800

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Panama Canal (Cruising Canal) eta 10-17

Nieuw Statendam

Kusadasi, Turkey eta 10-17

Noordam

Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii 0700-2300

Oosterdam

Istanbul, Turkey Overnight

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 10-21

Volendam

At Sea Destination Tabuaeran, Fanning Islands eta 10/18

Zaandam

Guayaquil, Ecuador Overnight

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira eta 10-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Miyako, Japan 0800-1700

1016World.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

Spiced Holly Highball cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
5 Cranberries
3/4 tsp Pumpkin Spice
1 tsp Agave Syrup
Handful Mint, Fresh
Splash
Club Soda

Instructions
Muddle the cranberries, mint, pumpkin spice and agave. Add rum and shake well. Strain over ice into a highball glass. Top with club soda. Garnish: mint sprig and three cranberries.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 6.43.32 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 14

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator

NextOne’s valve replacement surgery on October 17

57redbird’s DH having an external nerve ablation for afib on October 18

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized, ? at rehab

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, with complications

Cruising-along’s DH with pneumonia

Cruzn single with Covid, after her cruise

Cruzin Terri having challenging days

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

Quartzsite cruiser’s DH Steve’s post-shunt placement

Crusing-along’s niece Jeannine with MS recurrence

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill improving from bronchitis

Smitty34877’s aide for Tana working out well

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Marshhawk (Carnival Pride Oct 18 to Oct 28, Oct 28 to Nov 12)

4 days for Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas Oct 19 to Oct 28, Canada & NE)

5 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

5 days for Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal)and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.

It is 48°F and sunny here.

Global cat day is important.

Credit cards are needed everywhere and if you pay in full every month there is no charge and no need to cut them up.

Today's quote sounds a contradiction.

The food sounds good.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 28

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Monday.

Another cool cloudy day here.  Today's high is 11°C (52°F) and chance of showers.

Dictionaries are very useful, but I tend to "google" a word or phrase I don't understand now.  I won't cut up my credit card, but I probably won't use it today.  I thought cat day was everyday.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I'll pass on the drink but I'll probably like the wine.

I've never been to New Zealand, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day, hope it's the start of a good week.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Today it is a very chilly 46F!  What a roller coaster of nighttime temperatures we've been having.  High will be only 59 with sunshine this morning and more clouds coming in this afternoon.  Yesterday was cloudy in the afternoon and the moment DH started the burgers it began to sprinkle.  He even started early to avoid that happening.  It was very light and didn't last long, but what are the chances?  Only rain we had all day.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  I like Dictionary Day, but wouldn't cut up my credit card since I need one.  I will let you all celebrate Global Cat Day but I don't have one and don't know anyone with a cat except my friends here.  The quote strikes me as odd.  I will be interested in seeing the ground beef meat pie recipe.  No thanks to the Spiced Holly Highball or the Cabernet Sauvignon.  I remember Pope John Paul II back in 1978.  An interesting fact about Disney cartoons being founded in 1923.  Thanks go to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reporting.  

DS's American Airlines flight was delayed as usual but this time by 2 hours 29 minutes.  Instead of arriving in Detroit at 10:37 pm he didn't land until 1:06 am!!  That is ridiculous. I feel the problem is the airport and not just the airline.  He has work to do today but I'm sure he won't feel 100% rested this morning.

Prayers for our long list of Dailyites having health challenges and the people of Israel and Ukraine.  Also to my DB, Scott and Mark.  No news on them for days now.  I hate to bother people so try to wait it out.  🙏  A toast to all cruising and who have exciting, happy events to celebrate.🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your informative Care and Celebration lists. 

The port today is Kaikoura, New Zealand, a new port for the Daily.  No links.  We have never been to that port but always enjoy the cities of New Zealand.  I hope someone here can show us some photos and give us a description of that city.  

Hope to hear from Annie @marshhawk again soon.  Have a great Monday everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and  Ann.  A chilly Monday morning here.  Global Cat Day will be very popular here.  I have a dictionary but with online access it is rarely used.  I'm personally happy with my credit cards. 

Interesting quote by Smith.  I don't think I've ever heard of Kaikoura.  I have enjoyed a lot of Disney Cartoons over the years.  I prefer to keep my meat and my pie separate.  My alternative is Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast and Blackberry Sundae as served on MS Amsterdam October 16, 2017:

dishes151.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good Monday morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily update.  I’ll have to get out the dictionary and celebrate today!  Good time to cut up credit cards, before holiday shopping starts. Aren’t cats celebrated here every day?  Interesting quote today, not sure that I agree with it though.  The meal suggestion sounds good but I think I’ll pass on the drink.  I have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 28

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good.  I’m making pork and sauerkraut for dinner tonight, I want to try Aldi’s sauerkraut.  I only have two meetings at work today so I’m hoping I can get caught up on a few things.  Yesterday I emptied and cleaned seven kitchen cabinets.  I’ll celebrate global cat day, Mona had me up early to start the party.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.b8b77f3ae81c22bc6674c40a4902dd24.png

• Like 18
  • Haha 13

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

National Cut Up Your Credit Card Day! This day is five days late. I had to cut up my main credit card last week because it became compromised. I got this notice via email that there were suspicious charges so the Misses went on line to see what they were. Boy did she get upset. Not only were there multiple charges to Walgreens all over the country, a photo shop in New York, but also charges at the Pink Pussycat Lounge, Bubba’s Liquor and Still Outlet and Boy’s Nite Out Club. Thank goodness these were not my charges 😇.

• Like 8
  • Haha 18

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is a lovely 59 degrees here this morning, but the breeze makes it chilly. Once the sun comes up, it will be an exquisite day. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping our lists. Praying your pain grows less and disappears altogether. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores - I might even wash my car today. We took my car to the beach for our birthday celebration and you can see the salt spray on the side that was parked closest to the water. 

IMG_1846.jpeg.ca3b0e3a5e17c98c3c77fa2197cfc67c.jpeg

IMG_1841.jpeg.2795f3a3ac3b66e6cd69d82b55198efc.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg.14604e62a197950fa9f206724adab801.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families & your support teams. @HAL sailer Melissa, praying that your DH continues to improve. So many of our Dailyites dealing with difficult issues: both medical and life. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today! And please remember to love a cat today!

Mascota Vineyards La Mascota Cabernet Sauvignon 2021

This Argentina Cab is easy to find, consumers give it a very good - excellent review and has a price that is easy on the budget. I used the 2021 vintage info since it might be easier to find. Online prices start at $10.95.

James Suckling JS90

Displays a deep red color with hints of violet. Aromas of licorice, cassis and warm raspberry jam. Elegant touch of roasted pepper and chocolate. Full-bodied, complex and very long aftertaste.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends. A cool 50 degrees this morning and will be windy later in day and cooler tomorrow. It’s our seven day countdown before flying to Montreal and cruise.

Time to get serious about packing.

We had salmon tetrazzini last night and it was very good. 
Will be getting my walk in later after it warms up a tad. Also need to rake up some pine straw and the mighty oak is messing up the driveway with acorns. Not sure the squirrels are happy as the acorns seem very small this year. 
Miss our beloved cats but with our travels it would not be responsible to have more. I’m hungry so I’m going to fix an omelet and have another coffee.

Have a great week and prayers for those in need. Bruce

image.jpeg.605f6046fd54b00a1ff1be920c616ac3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8b95c9bf42bf9f5267ac17f6a0b7c80f.jpegimage.jpeg.50f065629ce69e708131aefcaf6fb52f.jpegimage.jpeg.21069e46afed7aef0f7e2a4519cf6a19.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.92c16ca8adca713e2a8d3792c199b9c7.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Haha 21

Good morning all!  We made it home Saturday, rained the whole way. It made the 5.5 hr drive from NY to Maryland stressful with constant road spray making poor visibility.  But thankfully no issues, traffic was mostly moderate with only slight slowdowns a few times. The trip was such a good respite with family, and the meetings at the new community all went Amazing!  The legal issue about our trust’s partial first-to-die disbursement was discussed and resolved, we were promised a letter to that effect. Some decisions on picking finishing touches for the apartment were easier than others but for better or worse it’s done. (And after painting our whole NM mountain house inside and out, I’m just so grateful they do it!)  I’m sure it’ll all be fine. Yesterday DH worked on removing ~95 pictures (travel pix and family) from the walls so he can spackle and paint the nail holes. I cleared and packed bathroom clutter. We’ll keep at it, but we are slower than we’d like. Grandkids will come later this week to help, and to fetch the kayaks from the lakeshore mooring 🙁, haul them home and store them for us for now. It’s a whirlwind. Praying we can stay healthy through it all. 

We were camped in Kaikoura NZ on New Year’s Eve 2013 just prior to our two days in Christchurch before we started slowly heading eastward.  

The quote doesn’t resonate with me. We cut up several credit cards recently because we closed all our accounts with our NM credit union. We’re consolidating our finances to make it easier as we age as others might be helping us. But we still have credit cards as they are the way of life now. 

My heart goes out to all our Dailyites with difficulties.  May those dealing with illness, pain, surgeries, rehab, and caregiving have Amazing relief.  And may those who are struggling with searches for the right path through issues find them.  May our grieving family here take their time processing the deep changes, remembering they are not alone… sending out gentle support to you. 

Blessings for all those away, safe travels and enjoyable days!  So many cruisers and travelers now!  What a great time of year to travel.  Glad Roy is home safe and enjoyed his cruises, and Graham and Pauline had a nice break in the west. Hoping Annie and Chuck are enjoying Italy. And Terri and Jim can soon too.  And may those who are planning find the right solutions and be less anxious. 

Many thanks to Vanessa for keeping us informed of all the happenings. And to all who make this place of sharing and caring possible. Hugs to each of you!  

Prayers for peace, in our hearts, our families and the world. 
Maureen 

• Like 29

Good Morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I use a dictionary, mainly digital, a lot (also the thesaurus!!).  The need for a credit card is almost mandatory these days so no cutting them up for me.  Martina thinks every day is cat day!  Not sure of the quote.  I will pass on the meal and drink, might someday try the wine and have never been to NZ.  Was a celebratory day for the Catholic Church and Disney.

Woke up early this morning (only a half hour) so got up and turned the coffee maker on as it was programmed to start at 0450.  A new neighbor moved in yesterday; seems like it might be a single female.  I sure hope she is quieter than the previous neighbors.  Also, no dog which is a blessing. I did see where my landlord took the apartment complex off the market.  I think he was asking too much as this place needs lots of work.  

Received my sub plans via email this morning.  It looks to be a smooth and easy day; I have subbed for this teacher before.  Worst part of the whole thing is I have to travel across town!!

It is predicted to hit a high of 99F today.  Fall, where are you?  

Thoughts for all on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great start to the week!!

• Like 24

Good morning from a very chilly (for us) central Texas.  It is 46F and feels like 43F with a 7 mph breeze.  The humidity is 89% but should lessen as it warms up since the dew point is 43F.  It is a sunny day with a predicted high of 67F.  Beginning tomorrow, our highs will be back in the 70s, 80s and even a 90 for the next two weeks which is more typical of our October weather.  However, I'm not sure there is typical or normal weather anymore.  After taking a car in this morning to have the brake fluid replaced and possibly the master cylinder replaced, I think I'll do some catching up on the computer.

Dictionaries were very important before Google, but I'm not even sure we have a dictionary now.  We will not be cutting up credit cards today, but are careful with how we use them.  Don't all cats, large and small, think everyday is Global Cat Day?

Since I never want to be thought to be a liar, I don't really like the quote.  Telling the truth is so much better, and you don't have to remember who you told what to.  😉

I'm not sure about the meal, and will check out the recipes Debbie @dfish finds for us.  We'll pass on the drink, but would try the wine.

We have not been to Kaikoura on the South Island of NZ.  I had to look it up on Google maps.

I remember when Pope John Paul II was elected Pope.  The beginning of the Disney Cartoon Studio set in motion a whole entertainment empire.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad you made it home safely Saturday in spite of the rain.  I am also glad everything went well with the meetings at your new retirement community and that you had a nice visit with family.  

@Nickelpenny  Penny, I hope today's subbing is as easy as you expect.

387827823_1490189331835943_1835111049438555997_n.thumb.jpg.2a80fe62d0dbc43bc541b9c6af615b28.jpg

387208520_1926587454408818_8228460644454383689_n.thumb.jpg.debe8d50eff80695c85226efca34bf4a.jpg

385065412_269536126052057_6469304271504899292_n.thumb.jpg.796457dd030f7956f3aac31094c623dc.jpg

386336083_1749020565539231_3870499322507651018_n.thumb.jpg.5818cb006e4719377fb539081d073c79.jpg

386340324_1749660972141857_1843831358481589464_n.thumb.jpg.e73e4fefd9056ffd528f2f3f0222bc27.jpg

387126686_798069828787094_3223784168130176982_n.jpg.552300fe49183296f9a398b126a522c5.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

I like dictionaries; my cat thinks every day is his day, being global cat day, I remember how they seemed to be everywhere in 🇬🇷; just got a new card because it was compromised, so I did my cutting up early - please no more cutting this close to a trip.

I don’t think I like the quote, but won't put any more thought into it.

Yes on the meal and wine, pass on the drink, have not been to NZ.

The day in history was important for Catholics and the Disney boys sure changed the world in their own right.

46° headed to 68° - yay for a fall day!! Sat forecast is 90°.

Friend wants to drive Vespas 🛵 during our upcoming cruise, so I have to squeeze passport photos for international driver license into the schedule. That has me rethinking our Corfu 4x4 excursion w/DH - is he driving the 4x4? 🛻 If so, he needs an international DL, too. We leave in less than 2 weeks - hope there's time. Will be making a trip to CU to see if they can help w/the GO card since I am not able to order it online.

My shoulder sees both PT and Chiro today - I may go along to hear for myself what they say 🤔

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20231016_075254.jpg

Screenshot_20231016-075319_Weather.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 26

Good morning, everyone!

Today is going to be overcast with a high of 58F.  It will be nice to have a respite from the rain.  The leaves are really turning here and coming down in droves.  We can see the neighbor's house next door and the house across the street.  In the summer it just looks like a wooded lot across the street.  You'd never know there is a house back there.  

I got up this morning and headed out to the lab for a blood draw.  Just routine blood tests right now.  The first lab was closed because everyone there was sick, so I had to go to the main lab.  That meant a wait as there was a back up.  All without coffee!!  But, I am home now and have my coffee and all is well in my world.  I think I'd like to try the drink today.  It sounds tasty to me, but is probably sweeter than I like.  

We've had today's meal before and some of you might remember it.  Here's the first recipe to get us started, complete with carrots for those who like them.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/ground-beef-meat-pie/

groundbeefpie1.thumb.jpg.1d338fe208b2655869aaa5a3346509d0.jpg

This one is more of a pot pie with large chunks of carrots and other vegetables included.  https://www.backtomysouthernroots.com/easy-ground-beef-pot-pie-recipe/

groundbeefpie2.thumb.jpg.a6f40c80b0c09cd6d38b9a1d1b2911ce.jpg

This next one is a holiday tradition in French speaking Canada.  I'm sure some of you have made it.  The seasoning is unique for a beef dish.  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/tourtiere-meat-pie/

groundbeefpie6.thumb.jpg.5b7d1ca17152807d39ab4c4c6de956c2.jpg

Our last recipe is one that combines Guinness with the beef.  Just for you, Carolyn.  @Cruising-along

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone.  I will celebrate International Cat Day even though I have no cats.   I miss mine.   I won't cut up my credit cards though I have managed them down to two.   A strange quote.   I think the hamburger pie recipes will be good and I look forward to them from @dfish Debbie.   Pass on the strange cocktail today, mint and pumpkin pie spice? Thanks for researching these for us Dixie @summer slope.   The wine sounds good today, thank you for finding these for us each day Ann @cat shepard.   

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports @JazzyV. I hope you are feeling better Vanessa.   Prayers for everyone in our group needing them.  Special prayers for the family of Baby Murphy, @smitty34877 who really needs a break and the people of Ukraine and Israel who are in war zones.   

For International Cat Day a couple of photos.  Have a nice day!  

Raven fan kitten.jpg

polesitter '13.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning. It is a beautiful day with cool temperatures going up to sixty later. My dog friends are waiting for their long walk. Every day is cat day here.I find that I look up words online now but I used a dictionary before.I have not been to the port and dislike the quote. The recipes look good to me but I need an easier meal for tonight.

Thank you @cat shepard and @ottahand7

I appreciate your kindness and support as we try to get it together here. There certainly a lot of ups and downs.

@Cruising Terri I hope better days are coming for you both.

I got the flu shot last week and got an appointment for the Covid jab later today. There have been a lot of new cases around here. DD and I hope the gathering for DH on 11/4 is not a superspreader event.

Have a great day

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.  We have a few dictionaries around the house, but for the past number of years, I've used my phone to check words.  I can't cut up my credit card because I use it every day.  I haven't used cash in so long that I can't remember the last time I did.  Sochi will be happy it's Global Cat Day; she thinks for her it's every day!

Sochi.JPG.d53d8d96e40957cbc38ec72d2e4a365a.JPG

A chilly morning at 0C which means we've got frost on the windshields as we're in a bit of a dip on our street.  It's to be expected at this time of year, but at least according to my memories on FB, we don't have snow as we did 6 years ago.  This week we need to do a couple of things - get our latest Covid shots and on Thursday we're heading to Calgary for some much needed grandson time.  Now that DH is feeling better, I am more comfortable with our driving there - he doesn't want to fly because he doesn't like being without a car, even though I've suggested we just rent one when we get there.

@NextOne sending prayers for you and your medical team as you have your valve replacement tomorrow.

@57redbirdprayers for your DH's ablation procedure mid week.

@Cruzin Terriprayers and hugs for whatever you're going through.

I'd like to try the drink as long as it isn't gritty from the pumpkin spice, am pretty sure I'd like the wine, and the menu suggestion looks delicious.  I do have ground beef thawing in the fridge, but that's going to be made into quesadillas for us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, particularly those involved in wars in Israel and Ukraine.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 28

I used to read the dictionary for entertainment. No way am I cutting up any credit cards. I use so little cash that I could be Swedish. I don't think that Mona Lisa and DaVinci are global cats; they have never lived anywhere but Pennsylvania and New York, but that makes them interstate cats.

The quotation explains why people never seem to believe me.

I would have said that a ground beef meat pie was a cottage pie, but maybe this one is made with a crust instead of a potato topping. No, no, no on the cocktail. For a Cabernet Sauvignon, Fulkerson 2017.  I haven't been to New Zealand.

I'm returning a pair of shoes from a brand that has always fit perfectly, until now. Most brands of shoes in the correct size are slightly too wide, but this shoe is much too narrow, so much so that I wonder whether it was mislabeled.

homeworkbadjudgment.thumb.jpg.1afcbf2acdb09d9f2e7c5b2eb39d99ab.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 9