The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 23rd, 2024

StLouisCruisers

Today is Checkers Day or Dogs in Politics Day, International Day of Sign Languages, and National Great American Pot Pie Day

Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it.--Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember

Meal Suggestion for today - Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Drink of the Day - Hard Rhubarb Lemonade
Wine of the Day - Quartz Reef Methode Traditionnelle Brut
Destination of the Day - Armacao dos Buzios, Brazil

Today in History:
1122 Concordat of Worms agreed between Pope Calixtus II and Holy Roman Emperor Henry V
1884 American Herman Hollerith patents his mechanical tabulating machine, the beginning of data processing
1957 "That'll Be the Day" single by Buddy Holly and The Crickets reaches #1 in the US

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Olivia Majestic Alaska Cruise
Juneau, Alaska   1300-2200  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  0900-0930
1330-2230

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Sitka, Alaska   eta 09-24  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece   0800-1600  

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0800-1700  

Oosterdam --- 10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Piraeus-Athens
Messina, Sicily   1300-2100  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends
Eidfjord, Norway   0700-1500  

Volendam --- 7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston
At Sea Destination Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island   eta 09-24  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Halifax, Nova Scotia   1000-1800  

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Kobe/Osaka, Japan   ovn-1900  

image.thumb.png.a84bb867d76b7a38ae5699d016afbc99.png

image.thumb.png.0f5d2b44ce2f2501c3f8d5385f8adea4.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 26

Good morning friends!  Happy Monday for all the retired folks here.  Much like any other day, right?  The weather here where I am is 69F and clear and today will be another hot one with a high of 93.  We’ll have a sunny morning and partly cloudy afternoon.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily information.  First I really don’t care about dogs in politics so will strike that off my list.  On the other hand honoring sign language is great, and who doesn’t like a pot pie once in a while?  It’s also National Family Day, Redhead Appreciation Day and Restless Legs Awareness Day.  I like the quote by Nicholas Sparks.  Oh boy, here comes the butternut squash again, this time in our mac n cheese.  Look out Paul @kochleffel!  I might pass on the drink and will certainly try the wine if that is a sparkling wine. 🥂 All three interesting days in history, but the Buddy Holly one is the one I enjoyed reading.  A big thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports.

Prayers today for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still not home, and for our troops overseas and for all they do. 🙏 Prayers too for Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Jane and her DS, Elizabeth, Dixie, Debbie and Carol and Sam and anyone else in need of them here. 🙏 Roy @rafinmd I’m glad you’re where you can get the best care for your health issues.  I’m sure the palliative care will help the medical team to coordinate your care in the future.  Ann @Vict0riann and Pat, I really hope that TAVI Tuesday is the ticket to Pat getting his valve replacement surgery.  Sad he’s had to wait so long.  Meanwhile, the thoughts and prayers to you Ann that your treatment for cancer is successful.  Jacqui @kazu, hoping you are getting somewhere in the search for your personal items, and that your cataract surgery is coming very soon.  Sorry about the leg pain you’re still experiencing also.  Debbie @tupper10 I’m so happy to hear your DM is still with you and hope she is doing well.  Vanessa @JazzyV, hoping to hear your leg swelling and pain is receding. Jane @lazey1 I’m sorry to hear of your latest health problems since your son has been hospitalized.  Praying for you and your son and hope there is improvement in both your conditions. 🙏 For those celebrating special events, cruising and preparing to cruise my best wishes. 🥳🎂🚢 Thank you Vanessa for your list keeping work every day.  We appreciate it so much!

The port of the day is a brand new one, Armacao dos Buzios, Brazil.  I have never even heard of it before so obviously haven’t stopped there.  No links to post.  Hopefully someone will have some nice photos and some commentary on this new port.

I had a very productive day yesterday on my stocking work.  I am doing the final backstitching and completed the dratted letters in the name.  Boy, was that an ordeal!  I was wishing Christopher had a short name like Ren does!  Anyway, I’m feeling optimistic I will soon be ready to construct the stocking with lining and backing.  Let’s hope there are no problems there and that my sewing machine works.

Have a very good day everyone!  Stay safe and keep well!♥️

• Like 30
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's Monday.  It's autumn.  A new start, I hope it's good.

Warm and cloudy this morning, chance of rain later.  Not much on the go here, I should do some gardening, a few shrubs have gone crazy this summer and need to be pruned.  

Not sure about dogs in politics (but they'd be better than some politicians 😆).  Sign language is important.  I like chicken pot pie.

Love the quote.

hmmm ...  butternut squash?  Pass.  The drink sounds interesting, I hope the wine isn't expensive.

Prayers for so many of our Dailyite friends.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a good day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Introducing the "Hard Rhubarb Lemonade" cocktail - a refreshingly tangy and visually inviting libation that's perfect for a sunny day on the porch or a lively gathering with friends. This cocktail is a harmonious blend of tart rhubarb syrup, zesty lemon juice, and a kick of vodka, creating a taste experience that's as invigorating as it is delightful. With its vibrant, pinkish hue and a medley of flavors that dance on the palate, the Hard Rhubarb Lemonade is the ideal choice for those seeking a balance between sweet and sour in a visually enchanting journey in mixology. Whether enjoyed with a group of friends or as a solo sipper while basking in the sun, this concoction promises a journey of delightful flavors that capture the essence of carefree summer days.
Ingredients:
2 oz. vodka
1 oz. lemon juice
3 oz. sparkling water
1 oz. rhubarb syrup
Directions:
In a highball glass with ice cubes pour in the vodka, rhubarb syrup, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Stir gently to combine the ingredients.
Top off the glass with sparkling water, stirring once more.
Garnish with a lemon wheel or a slice of rhubarb for a summery flourish.

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 6.22.16 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 23

Today’s Care List:

Vict0riann’s DH Pat in hospital with chest pain; needs heart valve surgery

Lazey1 with a flare of colitis and breathing issues

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

JazzyV battling leg swelling and pain

Rafinmd (Roy) in acute care for heart issues

Kazu with items missing from move, vision problems and leg pain

Hoping Lindaler is ok, and Nickelpenny

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Francine.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s cleaning lady Leanne dx’d with esophageal cancer

Vict0riann post breast cancer surgery, to have radiation therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie w/breast cancer, lymph nodes neg 2nd surgery

Kazu moved into new home; house sold

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for TAW1963 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5 ) 7d Alaska Explorer

5 days for Haljo1935 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5) 7d Alaska Explorer – celebrating 35th anniversary

6 days for Doobieb (Oosterdam Sept 29 to Oct 10) 11d Venetian & Dalmation Delight

7 days for JazzyV (Celebrity Eclipse Sept 30 to Oct 11) 11d Boston, Maine & Canada

Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 19

Happy First Day of Fall.  Welcome back butternut squash; it is delicious in macaroni and cheese.  Time to begin preparing those dishes the keep us warm, like pot pie.  I make a PA Dutch pot pie, no pie crust, you drop “slippery noodles” in broth, more like chicken and dumplings.

I had to look up Checkers Day.

On September 23, 1952, Vice President candidate, Richard Nixon, gave a speech that was called the “Checkers Speech.”  Accused of improprieties relating to a fund established by his backers to reimburse him for his political expenses, Nixon needed to defend himself. During the speech, Nixon stated that regardless of what anyone said, he intended to keep one gift. The gift was a black-and-white dog the Nixon children had named "Checkers”.   Fun fact: While most presidents and their families brought some kind of animal with them, James Polk, Andrew Johnson and Donald Trump are the exceptions.IMG_1800.thumb.jpeg.7450ad6fadccab8feaec34fe6cb347b1.jpeg

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

Thank you for the Reports!!

I remember Nixon's dog, Checkers!  Presidential Pets...  What a fun celebration!!!

I learned Sign Language in college and now realize that it isn't one universal language, but like in verbal language, many...
And I could enjoy a pot pie!!  in fact, I may have to look for some yummy recipes!!!

Sorry Nicholas  --  I think LOVE can be seen!!!

Not sure about Squash (no matter how tasty) should go into Mac n Cheese...

Beverages sound good...

And I'm aiming to go south of the equator someday!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for River's birthday wishes!!  They had a wonderful day -- altho it didn't go exactly as planned -- it worked out.  They collected some birthday money for their trip to Japan next month and we had pizza for dinner!

I hope I didn't leave anyone out!!!!

@StLouisCruisers

@smitty34877

@dfish

@grapau27

@Haljo1935

@Quartzsite Cruiser

@ger_77

@puppycanducruise

@JazzyV

@bennybear

@Cruising-along

@quilty964

@Cruzin Terri

Birthday Thank You Cards & Notes

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon and thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

I have been seeing some customers this morning.

It is 53°F and the rain is pouring down.

3 interesting days.

I think you can see love as well as feel love.

Prayers 🙏 uplifted for all of those who believe they will help.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

In two weeks, I will be boarding a plane to Quebec. Let the packing begin. I am somewhat behind in grading assignments as the University's system was down. Hopefully it will be back up today. I had a wonderful visit with by brother and sister-in-law as we watched the Eagles pull off a miraculous win. I need more time like this with my family. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

100 Funny Monday Memes To Start Your Week Right - SayingImages.com

• Like 36

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi - for Rich!

@rafinmd Roy, hope you can read our messages. I am happy to read that your cardiologist wants your medical team members to approach your recovery in a better coordinated manner. But I wish they would explain the approach using lay terms. The term “palliative” scares people. Praying that the medical team works well together & get you back on your feet soon.  

It is a gorgeous morning here. It was a cool 71 when Bindi and I headed out. The Eastern sky was just starting to get a peachy glow. Hoping that we do not have any more torrential downpours today. I got caught going in to & coming out of the gym yesterday. Their parking lot has a major drainage issue and I had to walk through several rivers.  But I survived. 

Vanessa, praying that your leg pain & swelling go away. Thank you for capturing & sharing our happenings. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, one more time around the house to see if there are things to put in this week’s donation. Then finish boxing & sealing everything. 

IMG_3468.jpeg.b0585800276d5fbffdea3824a766dc2c.jpeg

IMG_3467.jpeg.f4a5c2bf64a7ce50d1741e23382f4fd9.jpeg

IMG_3466.jpeg.d63c230a845b074a9985efc9a7c78e8f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, Terry, Melisa & DH, Pat & Ann, Bonnie, Chuck & Annie, Roy, Vanessa, Sandi & DB, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Jane & Tony, Sam, Dixie, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Praying that @lindaler & @Nickelpenny are well. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Quartz Reef Methode Traditionnelle Brut

This New Zealand sparkling wine sounds lovely, though I had to look up “moreish” - basically it has a pleasant taste and you will want to drink more of it. Fairly easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $24.49.

Winemaker notes

A sparkling wine exuding elegance and finesse. Pale yellow with a bouquet of green apple and hints of lime and brioche. On the palate, this is flirtatious and moreish. Enhanced by an invigorating cool, creamy acidity. Focused, cool and crisp with beautiful balance and length.

92 points by James Suckling, jamessuckling.com (Oct 2022)

4.5 Stars by Michael Cooper, NZ Wines (Aug 21) 

93 points, 4 Stars and ranked #3 of 43 by Bob Campbell MW, The Real Review (May 2021) 

92 points by Nick Stock, jamessuckling.com (Dec 2020)

95 points by Cameron Douglas MS (Sep 2020) 

94 points by Bob Campbell MW, The Real Review (Jun 2020)

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 3

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily Sandi and Rich.   Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for all in our group who are suffering or grieving.  Special prayers for Roy and Pat this morning.  

I saw DB for a while yesterday. When I arrived he was in a bad state.  He was in severe pain and having trouble breathing because he was left sitting in a wheelchair for 50 minutes.  He had another 10 to sit it out while his bed was finally made.  Once in bed his pain med had kicked in and he was more comfortable sitting up in bed. 

I have to be brief this morning as I have to get him an attorney scheduled and Environmental School and scholarship paperwork wait for me.   Have a lovely day!  Nancy 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is a gray day outside with a forecasted high of 68F.  We got some rain yesterday and we needed it.  More coming tomorrow.  I like the cooler temperatures, but dread the cost of home heating season.  The silver lining is that there is no surcharge time period in the day for energy use and we can wash clothes and dishes whenever we want.  

It is Butternut Squash Season!   This is just for you @kochleffel Paul!   We should all embrace Butternut Squash Season as it is a very healthful food.  

Butternut squash is an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals.

A one-cup (205-gram) serving of cooked butternut squash provides more than 450% of the RDI for vitamin A and over 50% of the RDI for vitamin C (1Trusted Source).

It’s also rich in carotenoids — including beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, and alpha-carotene — which are plant pigments that give butternut squash its bright color.

These compounds are provitamin A carotenoids, meaning your body converts them into retinal and retinoic acid — the active forms of vitamin A (2Trusted Source).

Vitamin A is essential for regulating cell growth, eye health, bone health, and immune function.

That last part is important as we are heading into cold and flu season.   Read more about the health benefits of butternut squash:  Butternut Squash Nutrition

With the health benefits of butternut squash, this mac and cheese is a complete meal, but @RedneckBob can add in some brussels sprouts if desired.   Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

Butternutsquashmacandcheese1.thumb.jpg.e1b2d9e15aba17fb38954f07aebeba7b.jpg

This one has a different cheese combination to go along with the butternut squash.  Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

Butternutsquashmacandcheese2.thumb.jpg.36bf6bd6c54c54c814957fb14404617b.jpg

This one has a totally different method of preparing the squash and to add to Paul's @kochleffel delight, adds in some kale.  Creamy Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

Butternutsquashmacandcheese3.thumb.jpg.8935a7310abb159f6c53bbb0c7a523a4.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

Good Monday morning to all.  

Thank you Sandi, for your willingness to keep up the Daily and Fleet Report in Rich’s absence.

Thank you to Vanessa for keeping up with all our cares and celebrations.  I don’t know how you do it.

Thank you also to Debbie, Ann and Dixie for keeping us fed and hydrated with such wonderful selections each day.

I finally had a good night’s sleep.  The pain in my right leg has finally subsided some.  That is a good thing.

My friend Jackie is still feeling very weak and tired.  She needs to see a urologist due to a possible puncture to her bladder during her surgery.  I will see if I can help to make that happen for her soon.

Also my friend Janet’s DH had a serious fall on Friday.  He fell forward and is in pretty bad shape.  Broken orbital bone, Teeth are a mess, facial bruises and some broken ribs.  She is having difficulty caring for him.

Today I have PT for my shoulder and then try to get some things done around here.  I told my Cleaning Lady not to come last Saturday because I was so tired from the drive.  So now I have to try to get some things done myself.

Prayers for all that need them.  We seem to have quite a list these days.  Roy, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Sandi and her DB, Terry and Tana and your family, Carol and Sam, Jacqui,  Lazey1 and Debbie.  If I  missed someone, I am sorry.  You are all in my prayers.  

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Denise, glad you had a great time at the wedding and some time with your brother and sister-in-law.

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good Monday morning everyone. Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Today will be busy with getting our Maine drivers licenses, canning tomatoes and cutting the grass as it’s finally dry enough.

I like today’s quote, while quiet it’s very powerful.

Thinking that I will pass on the meal and drink.  We had acorn squash last evening and will pace myself with the squash.  I know how this crowd operates!

I have not been to today’s port.

Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your prayers and comments. My family needs all we can get. We are still going through hell and see no light at the end of the tunnel. As I sit here watching the sun rise I realize there will be an end to this journey but we can not see it yet. It is painful to see the posts from the cruise I was to be on, but I believe it was much better to be here with the family right now. Thank you. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 40

2 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Thank you all for your prayers and comments. My family needs all we can get. We are still going through hell and see no light at the end of the tunnel. As I sit here watching the sun rise I realize there will be an end to this journey but we can not see it yet. It is painful to see the posts from the cruise I was to be on, but I believe it was much better to be here with the family right now. Thank you. 

I'm so sorry you weren't able to go on your cruise and hope the family troubles will come to a good ending eventually.  Prayers for you and your family.  🙏

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I had no idea what Checkers Day was - I thought it was all about playing the game; thanks for the explanation.  I had a friend who was a sign language interpreter, she was amazing.  Although I've never made a pot pie, I've enjoyed those others have made for me.  I like the quote today.

Although it wasn't in any of the forecasts I looked at last night, we had rain again - the streets are wet and there are puddles on the road.  It's going to be a typical fall day here with an expected high of 19(66) which if the sun comes out, will be good for this time of year.  Every day without frost (or snow) right now is a good one.

@lindalerI'm SO glad we heard from you - we were all getting very worried.  Please know my prayers are added to those who have you and your family in their hearts with whatever you're going through.  We care.

There isn't much happening here, DH has to pick up his son and return him to his place in a short while as he's bringing in a vehicle for inspection which should take most of the morning.  When DH returns we'll head over to the cardiac rehab program for our laps and exercise machines.  I didn't cough much last night - which was great - so hopefully all the vitamin C I've been taking has helped shorten the life of this cold.  On a side note, on our last BHB a couple of years ago, I purchased one of the blue HAL insulated coffee mugs - well last night I made hot lemon tea, put it in the mug so I could have something hot to drink in the night, and it was still warm this morning.  Nice!

I'd like to try the drink of the day, but don't know of many bars that stock rhubarb syrup.  The wine might be nice though!  I think the addition of butternut squash to mac & cheese is like adding zucchini into chocolate cake, it just adds bulk, not flavour.  To be honest, I've never made home made mac & cheese, just from the box . . . lazy, I guess.  I've got some ground beef thawing this morning that I'll be making up into meat loaves, some for freezing, and one for us to have with mashed potatoes and green beans on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Rained over night. Watching that storm coming to the gulf but I dont think it will come near us.

I do like butternut squash but not sure of it with mac and cheese. Sign language is very important. My cousin works at a school for the deaf. She learned it years ago and has taught it to her kids and grands.

Never been to todays port.

It is distressing to see so many of our group with health and personal problems. I will keep you all in my prayers.

I cant be on my golf team this fall because I will be gone for the "finals". I tried to use a substitute and me fill in but they said no. Oh well, I will have to just play for the love of the game. 

Not much happening here today. Water aerobics and then a few errands.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

It is not such a good morning for me. I have a sewer back up. It is in the downstairs bathroom which I never use. DGS wanted to play down there yesterday so I decided to clean the bathroom. The toilet wouldn’t flush and sewer water came up in the shower! This is a new house so I can’t imagine what is the problem. I did have a house sitter while I was gone last winter who used the bathroom. I flush the toilet at least every two weeks with no issue. I will call the plumber and get it fixed. 

Everyone else have a good day. Prayers for our dear Daily members who are in need. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, it's a cooler but sunny day here.  Had about 1.5 inches of much needed rain yesterday.  Mac and cheese is good, but not sure about squash in it.  Sign language is a good thing. Not sure about dogs and politics??  Not much going on here today.  Did some sewing for church yesterday.  I finished some baby items and started some quilt blocks.

@lindalergood to hear from you, but sad that you are on a not so pleasant journey right now...

Prayers for all that need them, I'm sad that list is growing instead of shrinking...

Have a good day, Karen

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1