New Celebrity Bundle Pricing (Go! Big, Go! Better, Go! Best)

Charles4515

Sounds like X likes the all in aspect. Article posted on cc.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6430

Celebrity Cruises, which has been offering perks with its 123Go promotions for the past two years, will be switching to that pricing model completely, starting July 6.

That means passengers will no longer be able to buy simply a cabin, other than inside rooms.

Instead, all prices for oceanviews, balconies, Aqua, Concierge and Suites will have up to four inclusions: the Classic beverage package, unlimited Internet, gratuities or $150 per person in onboard credit.

The effort is called Go!Big, Go!Better, Go!Best! The cheapest option, Go Big, includes a choice of one inclusion. Go Better includes two, while Go Best has all four, and it upgrades the beverage package to Premium.

The pricing will not be used on transatlantic, transpacific or expedition sailings.

On the Cruise Critic message boards, members noted interest in the plan. Said Cindy: "I really like the idea and convenience of an all-inclusive product. For my last few cruises I've taken care of most things ahead of time to make the cruises feel all-inclusive, and it's been very enjoyable."

Celebrity Cruises CEO and President Lisa Lutoff-Perlo will be joining Cruise Critic for a live chat at noon on July 6. If you have questions about the new pricing model or anything else, leave them here.

--By Chris Gray Faust, Senior Editor

I guess Celebrity no longer values MY business...They'd rather have cruisers who need to pay for these perks in a "bundle"...rather than those of us to whom they've promised them as free in exchange for our long term loyalty...

While I agree with the rest of your original post the statement about loyalty gets me to wondering whether you are loyal because of the perks or because of the quality, service, or itinerary that Celebrity offered you at the time you were building your status. I'm always reading statements such as your's from elites on this board as well as the Princess board. Had Celebrity not lived up to your expectations would you have continued to be loyal. I am Platinum on Princess and only Classic on Celebrity. I chose Celebrity because Princess no longer met my needs in terms of itinerary, scheduling and at times price. I see no need to sacrifice and be loyal just to someday have free laundry or drinks. To me it would be foolish to be loyal if you were unsatisfied with the product. So as much as you and everybody else claims to be loyal I doubt this would be the case had you not been happy with the product to begin with. These loyalty programs are no different than the packaging ploys. If it's not perceived as a value it won't work. There is only so much I'm willing to spend with or without a drink package.

I guess I am just one of those "aging dinosaurs" that believe the BEST way to increase both SALES, as well as PROFITS, is through well satisfied customers, returning often and bringing their friends. :eek: :o :rolleyes:

If most customers, and their friends, followed your way of thinking, booking the least expensive (inside) cabins which came with OBC which is then used to cover all their expenses, not paying anything out of pocket, how is X going to increase their profits?

So perhaps you are right, "dinosaurs" are not their target customer.

Already available here in the UK. Bookings made from TODAY 1st July until 1st September 2015 will received the perks you mention.

An example of the promotion - for Aqua Class booking - Premium Drinks Package, $150 obc per person plus Unlimited Internet access (internet useage terms apply- which are not listed)

I wonder how the prices will compare then ! Of course all-inclusive has its advantages but whenever we have compared the standard pricing without perks with a promo fare strangely enough the fares were always significantly higher than if you added the "free" perk to your standard cruise fare.

Just one example: When I found a New Zealand cruise that interested me, the standard fare was around 1650$ for one of the cheaper balconies. The fare with the beverage package as a "free gift" was 2400 $. I didn't book and went elsewhere.

Personally I see the all-inclusive concept as something that is quite attractive but also a chance for the cruise lines to raise prices again. I'm sure many will state now that cruise lines are businesses to earn money and yes, I loved having the dividends as a shareholder. But what about the budget cruiser? Will they be forced to choose insides now?

As the pricing policies of Celebrity Cruises have started to annoy me I have since then found greener pastures - better itineraries, similar service, better prices - with other cruise lines, even if I still like (and sometimes book) the product and the crews and ships.

But that's a pretty BAD deal for me...especially when they up the cabin price by $400--as they did with my Alaska cruise...

Hmmm...

I can pick, for my $400, free gratuities worth $91!

IF, in fact, these perks really were FREE, then, yes, ANY perk is a bonus...though some might be worth more to some people than others...

But, I think you miss the point--they are NOT free...Celebrity is merely taking a cruise that used to cost, say, $1500 and for which you MIGHT have purchased a $400 drink package--IF you really think you'd get your money's worth drinking at least 6-7 drinks per night...and are, instead, charging you $1900. BUT, if you don't want that drinks package you've basically paid for, they will gladly give you $150 in nonrefundable OBC or $90 in paid gratuities instead!

They are, basically, making each customer guarantee that they will spend an additional $400 (or whatever premium they decide to increase the price by) up front.

People who would have already been given drinks and internet as Elite members, people who don't drink or don't drink much, children under the drinking age--they are the targets. They are the ones who rarely run up a tab on the ship of greater than $400 per week. Now their fare goes up--and all they might get from the extra fare is that $90 in gratuities.

I agree. I was happy with the perks I got on my recent cruise because the cruise price was not too bad. But I'm not a drinker and am struck by the disparity in "retail value" of the options. It does start to gall me if the price is hiked up to cover the value of the drinks package but the other options don't have the same cost offset value to me.

Agree with you 100%. Stop the gimmicks and confusing promotions and go back to focusing on service and quality. Then you won't need to trick people into booking a cruise. They will come to you.

When we first started sailing Celebrity 13 years ago, we never thought much about price because we were getting a great product. Then the quality and service started to go downhill and they started nickel and diming, so then we started to book after final payment or looking for senior or resident discounts before we will book.

There is too much competition. Ships are carrying more people so you can just forget about service and quality on mass market cruise lines. People want to feel like they are getting something for nothing. I've been in the retail industry for over 30 years. I started my career at Lord and Taylor which at the time was about high end products, service and quality. Now you can't get people to shop there without a sale or coupon. When I worked there in the 80's they didn't even have point of sale registers because they felt a hand written sales slip was more personal and elegant. In reality it looked like a prescription. People today are all out for a bargain and now with the internet it's just a few key strokes away. I don't even think a loyalty program can compete with the competition these days.

Interesting that it will NOT apply to Transatlantic or Transpacific sailings......which is my preferred cruise right now.....but I wonder if the TA base price will be affected at all.....making them not as appealing as they are now...hope not...

On the other hand we have been debating on what line to do an Alaskan cruise on in 2017.....I suspect this could seriously impact costs and we'll be looking closer at Princess/HAL to see who has the best deal....

While I agree with the rest of your original post the statement about loyalty gets me to wondering whether you are loyal because of the perks or because of the quality, service, or itinerary that Celebrity offered you at the time you were building your status. I'm always reading statements such as your's from elites on this board as well as the Princess board. Had Celebrity not lived up to your expectations would you have continued to be loyal. I am Platinum on Princess and only Classic on Celebrity. I chose Celebrity because Princess no longer met my needs in terms of itinerary, scheduling and at times price. I see no need to sacrifice and be loyal just to someday have free laundry or drinks. To me it would be foolish to be loyal if you were unsatisfied with the product. So as much as you and everybody else claims to be loyal I doubt this would be the case had you not been happy with the product to begin with. These loyalty programs are no different than the packaging ploys. If it's not perceived as a value it won't work. There is only so much I'm willing to spend with or without a drink package.

I am NOT "loyal to Celebrity because of the perks"...

I actually have cruised on eight different lines and pick my cruises based on a number of factors--including itinerary and timing, quality of food, service, entertainment, etc., the ships-especially the space-per-passenger ratios...and more...

I have often prefered Celebrity due to my perception that it is the best value for the money...I DO like the product...and find that it has always been a good value for the price...

However, for example, I also very much enjoy the Oceania product--which compares favorably to Celebrity in a number of factors...but the pricing has always come out a small percentage higher. With Celebrity forcing the added costs into the bundling, Oceania suddenly becomes far more competitive. Also, my wife is eager to try some of the "luxury" lines--ie Regent or Crystal...and as Celebrity starts playing around with things that affect the value, those options start looking more attractive as well.

BTW, I am also "Platinum" on Princess...I'm Diamond on Royal Caribbean (independent of any reciprocity)...and Elite Plus with Celebrity...I've also done multiple cruises on Oceania. When planning my cruises, I do look first to see what is offered on Celebrity--because I do perceive that I get the best value there--taking into consideration ALL factors--including my Captains Club perks (not future ones, but what I currently get)...I also take into consideration any loyalty perks, special promotions or such economic factors I might get with Oceania, Princess, Royal Caribbean or whoever...

And I factor in what sort of cabin makes the most sense for me in each instance--though I might prefer a standard Veranda, I have often cruised in Suites or Concierge--but have even cruised in OVs and even insides when it makes economic sense. The apparent changes by Celebrity may force me into only booking insides when on Celebrity--to avoid the bundling. And that may also negatively affect my cruising with them...It may come down to a balcony on Oceania or an inside on Celebrity...not that the cost is equivalent but in that those may be the best value on each cruise.

Thanks for sharing. This is very interesting, as it gives customers a choice.

Kind of. Seems like the only way NOT to have a built in increase is to stay in an inside as anything above that category requires you to pick something. I wonder if I should book next years cruise in the next few days. I have a feeling it might be lower than when this rolls out.

Already available here in the UK. Bookings made from TODAY 1st July until 1st September 2015 will received the perks you mention.

An example of the promotion - for Aqua Class booking - Premium Drinks Package, $150 obc per person plus Unlimited Internet access (internet useage terms apply- which are not listed)

Indeed. So I just costed the cruise in Sept 2016 that we booked in February.

For an Ocean View room with the Select drinks package they want the same price that I paid for the same room with the Classic package and free gratuities.

Stuart

Another question on this promotion.........

Elite + , so don't need beverage, internet , gratuities or OBC. Usually prefer TA to just offer the lowest price and I apply stock offerings.(Long cruises)

Assume one can no longer combined these options anymore????

What is the stock good for presently???

I am NOT "loyal to Celebrity because of the perks"...

I actually have cruised on eight different lines and pick my cruises based on a number of factors--including itinerary and timing, quality of food, service, entertainment, etc., the ships-especially the space-per-passenger ratios...and more...

I have often prefered Celebrity due to my perception that it is the best value for the money...I DO like the product...and find that it has always been a good value for the price...

However, for example, I also very much enjoy the Oceania product--which compares favorably to Celebrity in a number of factors...but the pricing has always come out a small percentage higher. With Celebrity forcing the added costs into the bundling, Oceania suddenly becomes far more competitive. Also, my wife is eager to try some of the "luxury" lines--ie Regent or Crystal...and as Celebrity starts playing around with things that affect the value, those options start looking more attractive as well.

BTW, I am also "Platinum" on Princess...I'm Diamond on Royal Caribbean (independent of any reciprocity)...and Elite Plus with Celebrity...I've also done multiple cruises on Oceania. When planning my cruises, I do look first to see what is offered on Celebrity--because I do perceive that I get the best value there--taking into consideration ALL factors--including my Captains Club perks (not future ones, but what I currently get)...I also take into consideration any loyalty perks, special promotions or such economic factors I might get with Oceania, Princess, Royal Caribbean or whoever...

And I factor in what sort of cabin makes the most sense for me in each instance--though I might prefer a standard Veranda, I have often cruised in Suites or Concierge--but have even cruised in OVs and even insides when it makes economic sense. The apparent changes by Celebrity may force me into only booking insides when on Celebrity--to avoid the bundling. And that may also negatively affect my cruising with them...It may come down to a balcony on Oceania or an inside on Celebrity...not that the cost is equivalent but in that those may be the best value on each cruise.

This makes perfect sense. So I guess you really don't have loyalties which in my opinion is a good thing. Now that they have made it harder to reach elite there really is no incentive unless they truly provide the experience that I'm looking for.

There is too much competition. Ships are carrying more people so you can just forget about service and quality on mass market cruise lines. People want to feel like they are getting something for nothing. I've been in the retail industry for over 30 years. I started my career at Lord and Taylor which at the time was about high end products, service and quality. Now you can't get people to shop there without a sale or coupon. When I worked there in the 80's they didn't even have point of sale registers because they felt a hand written sales slip was more personal and elegant. In reality it looked like a prescription. People today are all out for a bargain and now with the internet it's just a few key strokes away. I don't even think a loyalty program can compete with the competition these days.

What a coincidence. I was with L&T from 81 to 93 in the corporate office on Fifth Ave. Alexander's before that and Toys R Us after Lord and Taylor. Remember Joe Brooks or Al Chatawicz?

We have been loyal to Royal. 15 of our last 17 cruises have been on either Royal or Celebrity. After checking out all the players, we decided that nobody was even close to them. We no longer feel that way. After trying a Holland and Princess, the gap has shrunk immensely. If it wasn't for the percs the mix of cruise lines would be a lot closer. Because of cost and quality of food and service, we have cut our cruising in half. We have four cruises booked for this year, 2 each on RCL and X. After that, we'll decide how and where to spend our traveling money in the future.

We have been loyal to Royal. 15 of our last 17 cruises have been on either Royal or Celebrity. After checking out all the players, we decided that nobody was even close to them. We no longer feel that way. After trying a Holland and Princess, the gap has shrunk immensely. If it wasn't for the percs the mix of cruise lines would be a lot closer. Because of cost and quality of food and service, we have cut our cruising in half. We have four cruises booked for this year, 2 each on RCL and X. After that, we'll decide how and where to spend our traveling money in the future.

I am afraid that we are pretty much in the same place. Just said to the wife, if this gets crazy price wise (and amenities/experience continue to erode) and our cruising history stops here (well, after the ones we have booked), c'est la vie.

Wonder what perks might be offered for booking on board?

Laura

I, too, wonder what incentive might be rolled out for onboard bookings.

Perhaps something like, "Book at 'Go!Big' price, get 'Go!Better' perks?"

Kind of. Seems like the only way NOT to have a built in increase is to stay in an inside as anything above that category requires you to pick something. I wonder if I should book next years cruise in the next few days. I have a feeling it might be lower than when this rolls out.

Price is going to be everything. I really wish they would have a choice where you don't have to pick any add-ons.

Not at all a plus for us...we always book AQ but prefer the triple perks of classic alcohol, grats and $300 obc which we now have on our 3 booked cruises (US)

No use for Premium alcohol...I only drink Tea and just a few drinks each cruise....

we get 90 min internet as Elite plus, so no need for unlimited...

OBC standard....used in the spa!

So if they are raising costs for AQ class, we would be paying more for perks we don't need and used to receive with the reg fare...,.for above offer seems .they are dictating the bundle....no choices?...

maybe we will go down to a cheaper balcony room, get 1 choice of perk and buy specialty dining......we have time for next bookings for fall 2017, but hope this is not how it is going to work out....time will tell...

What a coincidence. I was with L&T from 81 to 93 in the corporate office on Fifth Ave. Alexander's before that and Toys R Us after Lord and Taylor. Remember Joe Brooks or Al Chatawicz?

Assistant Buyer Juniors ( Young Americans at the time) 84 to 85. Then department Manager in Manhasset until May Company bought out ADG. The 1980's was a bad time to be in retail with all of the mergers and acquisitions. It's amazing how Macy's went from bankruptcy to completely taking over all of Federated Department stores and then some. I remember the National Anthem every morning and having to stop dead in my tracks. I think that was a Joe Brooks thing.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Just listened to the Webinar, and still a bit confused. If this new pricing is not combinable with like senior, military, residency, etc, then why even have those things? Cannot believe a senior rate promo would be low enough to offset the standard price that includes one of the perks - especially the bev pkg.

So I think there are still some questions/concerns and I guess it will become clearer once it really rolls out next Monday.