Which ports do you enjoy returning to?

ilikeanswers

50 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never been to Europe but my father was fluent in 6 languages and often spoke about being abroad.

Your father was a broad? Are you sure that was not your mother?

Sorry, I could not resist the pun you set up.

Bora-Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, Moorea....ok, all of French Polynesia.

Honolulu, Sydney, Venice, Civitavecchia for Rome, Naples, Livorno/La Spezia, Montevideo, Lahaina, Isle Of Pines, Wellington, San Francisco, Vancouver, Istanbul,.............and our No. 1 favorite port: Yokohama.

When we sailed into Yokohama, we were welcomed by hundreds of flag waving locals...dancers and singers....singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow"......the architecturally stunning cruise terminal......the wonderful people inside that were all happy to provide information, tips, maps,.....and a free shuttle to town and the train station.   They even had a booth were you can wear a kimono and they take your picture....they give you the picture for free.....most passengers declined to have their pictures taken UNTIL they all realized it was free...compliments of the City of Yokohama.  So much to do in Yokohama and Tokyo.  The sail-away was just as memorable...Taiko drummers, dancers and singers...once again waving goodbye to all of us as we slowly sail away.......breathtaking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Are we talking ports here or places to visit when you reach the port?

Florence is a beautiful place, if a little dull, for non church lovers.

But Florence isnt a port.

For me the place I am looking forward to going back to is Naples. The ship sails right into the city, and if you are asleep when it docks, you are blessed with an amazing view of the city when you open your curtains.

Its actually a very dangerous City, and and not one to be taken lightly, but Pompeii is just down the road, which is incredible.

Technically Florence is not a port, but the cruise lines list the port as Florence with Livorno in parentheses. 

10 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Bora-Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, Moorea....ok, all of French Polynesia.

Honolulu, Sydney, Venice, Civitavecchia for Rome, Naples, Livorno/La Spezia, Montevideo, Lahaina, Isle Of Pines, Wellington, San Francisco, Vancouver, Istanbul,.............and our No. 1 favorite port: Yokohama.

When we sailed into Yokohama, we were welcomed by hundreds of flag waving locals...dancers and singers....singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow"......the architecturally stunning cruise terminal......the wonderful people inside that were all happy to provide information, tips, maps,.....and a free shuttle to town and the train station.   They even had a booth were you can wear a kimono and they take your picture....they give you the picture for free.....most passengers declined to have their pictures taken UNTIL they all realized it was free...compliments of the City of Yokohama.  So much to do in Yokohama and Tokyo.  The sail-away was just as memorable...Taiko drummers, dancers and singers...once again waving goodbye to all of us as we slowly sail away.......breathtaking.

Oh I am getting too excited about my upcoming Yokohama departure (next spring -- cherry blossom cruise).

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh I am getting too excited about my upcoming Yokohama departure (next spring -- cherry blossom cruise).

Genuinely envious....wish we were going with you! 😊

Note: cruisemom42, we just wanted to say "Thank you" for all the help and information you've provided us through the years...we are truly grateful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marco said:

Bermuda.  Over the past 40 or so years I/we've cruised there 22 times.  I really liked it when the ships were  smaller and they would dock in St Georges, stay over night and then go over to Hamilton for 3 days.  

When I started cruising in 70’s living in nyc you had two choices , Bermuda or Bermuda and Nassau, like docking in Hamilton .

1 hour ago, clo said:

What do you do there that you enjoy it so much?

We love when the ship docks on Front Street.We do everything that I am physically able to do.Then we take the ferry to Kings Wharf.

On Front Street they have Clubs that play music all night long.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

We love when the ship docks on Front Street.We do everything that I am physically able to do.Then we take the ferry to Kings Wharf.

On Front Street they have Clubs that play music all night long.

Ah, so the cruise overnights there.  Cool.

11 minutes ago, clo said:

The reason why we went to Bermuda initially was that a cousin of mind was in a band in NY.Believing that they would never make it big he formed his own band and got a job as the house band for a hotel in Bermuda. He told me that the sand was pink. I had to go and see that for myself.The band he left went on to be a mega super group .

14 hours ago, clo said:

Not so much any more. Most  ships are now too big, so they moor at the old Royal Navy shipyard which has been converted into a tourist trap, not unlike many of the private islands which present an “alternate reality” of the place. 

Until recently, ships used to regularly call at St. George also, at the east end of the island - convenient to great beaches - only small ones can now call there — but if you sail smaller ships which do call at St. George or Hamilton, you will have a much better experience of the island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, DarrenM said:

Are we talking ports here or places to visit when you reach the port?

Florence is a beautiful place, if a little dull, for non church lovers.

But Florence isnt a port.

For me the place I am looking forward to going back to is Naples. The ship sails right into the city, and if you are asleep when it docks, you are blessed with an amazing view of the city when you open your curtains.

Its actually a very dangerous City, and and not one to be taken lightly, but Pompeii is just down the road, which is incredible.

Agreed about Naples!  Several years after our day there, I still yearn for return visits.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Agreed about Naples!  Several years after our day there, I still yearn for return visits.

I love Naples, loved our last Europe cruise it had 5 ports in Italy but was disappointed that it didn’t stop in Naples . Had a chance to listen to Sophia Loren talk a couple of years ago and asked her what her favorite food was , she said I am from Naples so it’s pizza.