Where is Copper 10-8 When you need him?

HamOp

Yeah, just saw this on the news.  From the TV report, it sounds as though the ship encountered bad weather, and the captain was trying to keep passengers/ship safe.  It was further reported that food spoiled and toilets backed up too.  So, what excuse did NCL offer for those two complaints?  A paltry incentive for the inconvenience.  To offer 25% off on the next NCL cruise is meaningless if a passenger decides not to ever travel with them again.  No wonder people were furious.

There is a thread about this on the NCL board that gives more details (& doesn't support the bad food/plumbing allegations). 

I'm not inclined to believe those who would act like children because they weren't getting their way, particularly since the cruise line was dealing with a record-breaking storm.

• Like 1

OH WOW...that is just unbelievable!! How awful for these passengers to behave this way!! Their safety should be # 1. Who hasn't sailed and missed ports? How in the world did NCL handle this to disperse this angry crowd?? YIKES!!

The cruise lines do have policies to address bad weather and missed ports, and that is in every cruise contract, the contract that very few passengers actually read.

However, to make the most out of a region, the cruise lines seem to be extending the seasons in areas where weather can get very ugly earlier than usual.   Alaska and Northern Europe are 2 areas that can have bad weather earlier than expected.   Years ago, the cruising season in Alaska was from late May to early September.  Now,  the Alaska season is extended from April to October.  The very early and very late cruises in those seasons are subject to bad weather and missed ports.   People should be aware that this could happen, but the cruise lines should not extend the seasons to the point that the early and late cruises are routinely impacted by bad weather.

• Like 4

I see no reason for Copper 10-8 to respond to this NCL issue.  

I surely understand why the guests on that cruise were upset.  But, for such a protest that has been posted on the internet is "over the top" in my opinion.  We, on whatever cruise message boards, aren't going to solve their issues. 

Maybe airing such grievances make them feel better?  I can accept that.  I am sorry that they had such a disappointing cruise experience.

Why involve Copper 10-8 in this?  What's the point?  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I surely understand why the guests on that cruise were upset.  But, for such a protest that has been posted on the internet is "over the top" in my opinion.  We, on whatever cruise message boards, aren't going to solve their issues. 

Maybe airing such grievances make them feel better?  I can accept that.  I am sorry that they had such a disappointing cruise experience.

I agree 100% - thanks for saying what I was thinking.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HamOp said:

'We want refund!' Angry cruise passengers protest skipped ports  

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/norwegian-spirit-cruise-ship-passenger-protest/index.html

I read that, even made the biggest Dutch newspaper a couple of days agao! Big old mess and the type of publicity, no cruise line would salivate over  

• Like 1

More video on how rude people can be.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7551905/Cruise-ship-passengers-5-300-mystical-fjords-tour-rebel-tell-crew-want-liner.html#v-410565814734338462

We used to sail NCL many years ago.  We were done after the last cruise - not because of the cruise but because of Some attitudes that we saw (not by crew or staff 😉 ).  Thankfully, it wasn’t like this.

I’ve certainly been on cruises when we missed ports and very key ones.  I didn’t see anyone act like this on HAL.  Disappointed?  Of course but there are reasons and you just move on.

We have just returned from a cruise on Rotterdam that covered some of the same area and weather that the NCL ship did. 

IF YOU WANT TO AVOID THIS, DO NOT CRUISE IN THE AUTUMN IN AREAS LIKE NORTH SEA AND IRISH SEA, SIMPLE!!!

We were aware of the risks when booking this British and Irish Isles cruise and as expected, it did not go as planned. Captain and crew of Rotterdam made the right choices, leaving us with a total different itinerary, staying safe and out of harm’s way, which is the most important for ship, crew and passengers. We still ended up with nice replacement ports and still had a great cruise, no riots!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I totally agree with everything you have said.

3 minutes ago, adrift@sea said:

My take on this is it was a "tongue in cheek" statement since Copper 10-8 is employed with HAL as a Security Officer. I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously in any way.

I agree. I thought the OP was joking about how NCL could have used someone like Copper on that ship.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, adrift@sea said:

My take on this is it was a "tongue in cheek" statement since Copper 10-8 is employed with HAL as a Security Officer. I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously in any way.

I agree as well but who else would have checked the Dutch newspaper.

Roy

• Like 4

I’d guess that as cruising in general becomes more comparable to hotels or resorts, and becomes amusement-oriented, naturally the average guest will tend to have overlooked the chance that sea conditions could interrupt the itinerary.

In this case I think NCL could have offered a little refundable OBC in addition to the 25% credit, although that is higher than HAL gave me recently (which I consider satisfactory for our interruptions).

The Norwegian Spirit returned to Southhampton, UK morning of 11 October.

A great many passengers were telling local media they intended legal action.

While as many noted that mother nature and the North Sea are to be respected, especially in October.

The rub appears to be the original itinerary was largely discarded and 7 sea days instead of 4, with multiple port adjustments.

https://securelytravel.com/travel/norwegian-spirit-passengers-protest-at-sea/

CB

MSC treated us fairly on our extended Dorian cruise.  We could not port at Key West, nor return to Miami on the appointed day (port closed).  Instead, we got second visits to Costa Maya and Cozumel.  They did not refund port fees for Key West, but did not charge port fees for the two extra Mexico visits.  And they did not charge gratuities for the two extra days.  I went to Guest Services and tried to add on the extra gratuities, but they seemed unable to do it.  We did tip our steward and servers extra.  EM

On our Dorian cruise, two port days became two sea days (doubling the two planned sea days).  We did not receive anything (not even a free glass of sparkling wine), nor was anything expected.  While many, including us, were disappointed to miss Saint Pierre et Miquelon, it was totally understandable. 

I very much appreciated being kept safe and out of the way of Dorian.  That is worth more than a discount on a future cruise, to me.

Saw a report about this on the news today. A woman who was on the ship was talking about the toilets not working. She said about 1000 people were going to sue NCL. She also confirmed that some passengers left the ship when they got into a port, rather than stay on for the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adrift@sea said:

BINGO!!

Glad to see you and some others were able to see how my post was intended.

Some people "get it" and others never will.

Safe travels to all.........

• Like 4