Diamond Plus Perk now Taken Away on Anthem!

yogimax

56 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

We literally have a 14 page thread on people complaining about "losing something that was free." It will continue to grow in size too.

I can also find 10+ more threads like this without looking too hard. How much passion can you find around pins and recognition?

The other threads related to this topic were locked well before this time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I suspect the crew does some behind the back eye rolling.

I can only imagine what the crew thinks of some of the demanding, self important people they deal with on a daily basis.  We were in CK on Anthem last month and listened to the top cruiser ask the host a question and he answered that he didn't know the answer but would find out for him.  The top cruiser then went off on him, telling him that he should never tell someone he doesn't know something, he should have an answer for all questions that are asked.  He was never going to go anywhere if he didn't know the answers and he was only telling him this to help him.  We felt so bad for Albert.  He is the best host we have ever encountered at CK on any ship.  He did not show an outright bias towards Pinnacles as we have witnessed on other ships.  He treated all guests with respect and professionalism.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Since this thread is about perks I have a question.  Does wearing the P badge really make a difference in how you are treated onboard?  Some folks say yes, some say no.  

We've not noticed much of a difference.  Every day there are more and more PC members, so it means less and less.  Back when there were 1 or 2 PC members on a cruise, it was distinctive.  Not so much anymore.

17 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Since this thread is about perks I have a question.  Does wearing the P badge really make a difference in how you are treated onboard?  Some folks say yes, some say no.  

I absolutely feel it does. 

I don't wear it at the pool or off the ship

and sometimes it's just in my pocket.

Makes a great clicker to irritate my wife

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

We've not noticed much of a difference.  Every day there are more and more PC members, so it means less and less.  Back when there were 1 or 2 PC members on a cruise, it was distinctive.  Not so much anymore.

I thought you recently made Diamond?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rolloman said:

Wow...how out of touch can one be? BIG assumptions on your part with no data to  back up what you are spewing. Let me fill you in on how it really works: Each Diamond member  in reality is a loyalty ambassador. Clearly they have enjoyed the brand enough Royal identifies them as a Diamond (and beyond). The company makes out by using this loyalty program as a marketing tool ( Ask your self how many times have you spread the word to potential cruisers Royal is the best option).  The Diamond (and beyond) makes out in a feel good fashion because they are identified and enjoy an enhanced cruise. The upside monetary benefit to the cruise line is unlimited. A problem arises when the cruise line no longer values the loyalty ambassador and therefore it results in a negative effect. Similar to what seemingly is starting to happen here with RCCL. Soon my 4-5 per year cruises go elsewhere as well as my free marketing advice to potential new cruisers. 

Your assumption brand loyalty cruise for free stuff is ludicrous. It is not about free stuff, it is about recognition. Your assumption the cruise line prefers new cruisers because they spend more is even more ludicrous and even obnoxious. As I have laid out for you in plain English the D and above cruisers have unlimited value regardless of what their final sign and sail accrual becomes. To be quite honest,  in my case, I spend more each cruise than I did from the first few cruises I traveled. Proven fact the majority of folks, as they move on in years become more financially stable. If you would like to dispute my statements, I suggest you reach out to the Marketing Department of RCCL  (or any cruise line) for further education. 

This has to be one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time.  It reminds of that employee in a large corporation that has been around forever that feels they can't be replaced because the corporation can't function without them. We all know someone like that. Ultimately that person loses their job and the corporation soldiers on just fine without them.

You could stop sailing Royal tomorrow and they won't miss you. They will fill your cabin in a second with a new cruiser that will be wow'd by the ship and brag about it to their friends, just like we all did when we all took our first cruise.  Royal will getting that free ambassador  (as you call it) benefit at a much lower cost since the new cruiser will not be getting any free stuff or discounts.  The fact that Royal keeps building bigger ships that have morphed into floating amusement parks is a testament to their desire to attract new cruises, because that is what they value. Not sure how much more out of touch you can be.

All the crew members that you may be on a first name basis with that greet you warmly and kindly will be greeting someone else warmly and kindly.

Royal will be fine without you. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

This has to be one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time.  It reminds of that employee in a large corporation that has been around forever that feels they can't be replaced because the corporation can't function without them. We all know someone like that. Ultimately that person loses their job and the corporation soldiers on just fine without them.

You could stop sailing Royal tomorrow and they won't miss you. They will fill your cabin in a second with a new cruiser that will be wow'd by the ship and brag about it to their friends, just like we all did when we all took our first cruise.  Royal will getting that free ambassador  (as you call it) benefit at a much lower cost since the new cruiser will not be getting any free stuff or discounts.  The fact that Royal keeps building bigger ships that have morphed into floating amusement parks is a testament to their desire to attract new cruises, because that is what they value. Not sure how much more out of touch you can be.

All the crew members that you may be on a first name basis with that greet you warmly and kindly will be greeting someone else warmly and kindly.

Royal will be fine without you. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I am glad I was able to entertain you. Your post is equally hilarious. If my post insinuates Royal needs me, your post insinuates Royal does not need a loyalty program at all. Sooner or later, the market will become saturated. I believe there are 30 new builds in the industry launched this year?  Repeat customers will continue to be the lifeline of each cruise line.

Using your corporation analogy, fact is, if a company does not maintain top talent, it soon becomes toxic and quality issues arise. They need to take care of their employees in a way to attract more talent.  Regardless,  Royal will always need to retain its repeat (base) customers.  Sorry to burst your bubble. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I have been in sales for 40 years and free gifts  make a massive difference.

They cost little to the company but the customer perceives a much higher value.

This.  Disney is the expert at this.   Disney can raise prices or start up charging for totally disproportionate to inflation because they know people love free stuff.  The amount of free junk I get every time I go somewhere in Disney is almost embarrassing.  From magic wands, to buttons, stickers, bags and swords and cards it’s almost excessive.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rolloman said:

Your assumption brand loyalty cruise for free stuff is ludicrous. It is not about free stuff, it is about recognition. Your assumption the cruise line prefers new cruisers because they spend more is even more ludicrous and even obnoxious. As I have laid out for you in plain English the D and above cruisers have unlimited value regardless of what their final sign and sail accrual becomes. To be quite honest,  in my case, I spend more each cruise than I did from the first few cruises I traveled. Proven fact the majority of folks, as they move on in years become more financially stable. If you would like to dispute my statements, I suggest you reach out to the Marketing Department of RCCL  (or any cruise line) for further education. 

If it’s not about free stuff, take away the happy hour and drink vouchers and lets see how that goes.

I would respectfully argue the current marketing campaigns and ship design are to attract new cruisers.   The vast majority of pinnacles are retired.  Yes there are exceptions (super Mario, etc.) but without doing market research or calling RCI for exact demographics, I think we can all agree most pinnacles and D+ are retired.  Not all,  but the majority.  

Now, again, I am making assumptions.  The vast majority of new features thrown into these boats tend to be for a younger market.  I do not see a whole ton of the pinnacle crowd ziplining, flow riding, using the water park, rock climbing, ice skating, and riding the carousel.  Again....  this is anecdotal evidence.  There are always some that do but I would say from my observation these features are primarily used by young families and not the pinnacle crowd.  However, if RCI believes their highest paying demographic is truly the D and above their marketing should reflect that based on their advertisements... I don’t see that, unless I am not aware of some new adventure activity trend in the Pinnacle population.

As people age,  they typically become more financially stable.  I agree completely.  Just because you are more financially stable does not mean you adjust your spending habits as such. At least in regards to activities they do regularly. For example, an annual pass holder at Disney is going to spend less per visit than someone going there for their first time.  The more you do something,  the more you learn how to do the same thing spending less money.   Whether it be because of perks, loyalty coupons, boredom, or just learning the system.

Again, anecdotally,   among the people we cruise with and have met on cruise ships,  the people that spend the most on average are new cruisers.  Almost everyone I have ever met that cruises more than once progressively spends less and less per cruise. For a variety of reasons.  Do I have that info from RCI’s bean counters, no, but based on a large representative base that appears to be the case. 

Maybe we just hangout with a different demographic, but for the people we meet and cruise with the spend has always gotten lower. (For the record our demographic is the young family demographic.) Perhaps the older demographic that is retired and knows they can’t take their money with them and already firm in retirement has different spending habits.

But just look at CC.   People come here to learn how to save money on vacation.  They come to learn from the pinnacles how to use the system to their advantage.   They don’t come here asking “Hey!   It’s my first cruise!   What are the ways I can spend more money!”

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 4