Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

4 minutes ago, tgg said:

If you're tired of speculating about ships' positions and flashing lights, perhaps you could turn your thoughts and prayers to our friends Bill and Gloria Weed.  They're passengers on the Zaandam.

Both have had fever for days. Bill now has pneumonia. He can't swallow, so he hasn't been able to eat for several days. He can't take oral medicine.

His daughters hope he can hold on long enough to get treatment.

I think Bill and Gloria would be happy to be "dumped" in Florida because that is where they live!

Please take a few moments to think about them, confined to their cabin, with no fresh air, and holding on to hope.

A pray has been done now for them and all on board.

Maria

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tgg said:

If you're tired of speculating about ships' positions and flashing lights, perhaps you could turn your thoughts and prayers to our friends Bill and Gloria Weed.  They're passengers on the Zaandam.

Both have had fever for days. Bill now has pneumonia. He can't swallow, so he hasn't been able to eat for several days. He can't take oral medicine.

I think Bill and Gloria would be happy to be "dumped" in Florida because that is where they live!

Please take a few moments to think about them, confined to their cabin, with no fresh air, and holding on to hope.

All on the ships have been in our thoughts and prayers. That is why we have been following the Webcams. The comments did not mean we are not thinking about those onboard.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tgg said:

Praying for them both, and all those who are critically ill aboard.

• Like 11

Just now, AdoraBelle said:

Can someone more familiar with PE tell me if we will be able to see the ships on this cam?

https://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com/

Also, am I seeing emergency vehicle lights at far right, center, right of the parking deck?

Yes as she comes in and yes those are emergency lights.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JVilleGal said:

That was the St Louis, all those passengers ultimately ended up back in Germany and sent to Concentration Camps and only a few survived the war. 

Not quite accurate but perhaps close enough:

"The captain, Gustav Schröder, went to the United States and Canada, trying to find a nation to take the Jews in, but both nations refused. He finally returned the ship to Europe, where various countries, including the United Kingdom, Belgium, the Netherlands and France, accepted some refugees. Many were later caught in Nazi roundups of Jews in occupied countries, and some historians have estimated that approximately a quarter of them were killed in death camps during World War II."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

I can't seem to get to this webcam.

if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you should see a list of all webcams. On my screen the font is bright yellow.  This is the “Fort Lauderdale Beach - Courtyard” webcam.  

Try this link      https://www.ftlauderdalebeachcam.com/

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tgg said:

Thoughts and prayers going out to Bill and Gloria especially.

Also to all passengers and crew aboard both of these ships.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Can someone more familiar with PE tell me if we will be able to see the ships on this cam?

https://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com/

Also, am I seeing emergency vehicle lights at far right, center, right of the parking deck? Or is that just sunlight glare?

Yes, and first on this one:

https://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

The jury is still out on the lights; could quite possibly be an optical Aleutian 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sun-Sentinel just sent notification that passengers are reporting that the captain has said that they have approval to dock and are heading into Port Everglades.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, JVilleGal said:

That was the St Louis, all those passengers ultimately ended up back in Germany and sent to Concentration Camps and only a few survived the war. 

No, more than 75% survived.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis 

Including the passengers who landed in England, of the original 936 refugees (one man died during the voyage), roughly 709 survived the war and 227 died.[20][10] Later research tracing each passenger has determined that 254 of those who returned to continental Europe were murdered during the Holocaust.

Of the 620 St. Louis passengers who returned to continental Europe, we determined that eighty-seven were able to emigrate before Germany invaded western Europe on May 10, 1940. Two hundred fifty-four passengers in Belgium, France, and the Netherlands after that date died during the Holocaust. Most of these people were murdered in the killing centers of Auschwitz and Sobibór; the rest died in internment camps, in hiding or attempting to evade the Nazis. Three hundred sixty-five of the 620 passengers who returned to continental Europe survived the war. Of the 288 passengers sent to Britain, the vast majority were alive at war's end.[21]

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1