Disney may not open until 2021 How about cruise ships?

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

The problem with tourism opening too soon is people from New York will fly or jump in the car and go just to get away from here

I can take it one step further.  I live near Albany, if Cuomo does a staged reopening I can see people from NYC coming up this way (apparently they already have been and were buying out food supplies in our stores) and bringing it with them if there are no checkpoints to control things.  One of the ways it can work on a whole-state level is continuing to force quarantine on people from particular states but monitoring that within a state doesn't work so well when only portions of the state open up.

7 hours ago, orville99 said:

concluded that up to 90 percent of independent establishments close during the first year, and the remaining restaurants will have an average five-year life span.

Am I the only one scratching my head on this one?   I haven't seen 90% of restaurants fail in my area, prior to the pandemic.  One thing about studies and statistics is exactly what they are studying.  How they determined the sample, etc.  That is just an incredible figure that doesn't match up to my admittedly limited sample area.

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

I can take it one step further.  I live near Albany, if Cuomo does a staged reopening I can see people from NYC coming up this way (apparently they already have been and were buying out food supplies in our stores) and bringing it with them if there are no checkpoints to control things.  One of the ways it can work on a whole-state level is continuing to force quarantine on people from particular states but monitoring that within a state doesn't work so well when only portions of the state open up.

You have food upstate?  Damn. If you tell me you have hand sanitizer, bleach and lysol I'm leaving tonight. It's time for me to go out again and I hope I won't have to go to 4 different stores this week to get everything. Tyson has covid issues at their plant so I guess no chicken again this week.

40 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I really don't think Princess will ever reopen. They are the poster child for COVID

The kind of people who read Cruise Critic know it was a Princess ship. To “normal” people it was just a cruise ship. Whatever fallout comes will be shared by everybody. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

The kind of people who read Cruise Critic know it was a Princess ship. To “normal” people it was just a cruise ship. Whatever fallout comes will be shared by everybody. 

The authorities know which cruise line it was😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Princess isn’t the only line to have coronavirus cases, just the first one. Even the sacred cows, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, have had their own problems. The fallout should be shared with all the lines, they contributed too. 

29 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Princess isn’t the only line to have coronavirus cases, just the first one. Even the sacred cows, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, have had their own problems. The fallout should be shared with all the lines, they contributed too. 

Lets see how this plays out

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52171181

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Oh, people know what cruise line it was. If you recall, after the Concordia, Carnival had to virtually give the cruises away to get people to book ... and the Concordia was a Costa ship ... but people were well aware that Costa was owned by Carnival.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well if people are willing to jump on the first cruise leaving I'm sure there are folks who would  book a Disney vacation. The problem with tourism opening too soon is people from New York will fly or jump in the car and go just to get away from here. A great many of us have relatives living there. I have flights booked to Florida in June. I was going to cancel because I didn't see a point in traveling if it meant that I would just be sitting in my in laws house on quarantine. If beaches and parks are going to be open by then we may just make the trip. 

Does Florida still require anyone arriving from NY metro area to quarantine for 14 days?

I have friends that recently moved to Florida and have been begging me to visit.  But they are the kind of "visit for 4 days" type friends, not 14 days. I might fly into Georgia and have them drive up to smuggle me me across state lines.

5 hours ago, hallux said:

I think he must've told the story about a Queens couple that drove up to Albany for Thai food at 3 different daily briefings.

Short of martial law, I think it'll be tough to restrict travel within a state. Be interesting to see how this phased, partial reopening of parts of the state goes.

15 hours ago, datolim said:

We believe Parks' profitability will be impaired for a longer period of time given the lingering effects of the outbreak and now assume an opening date of Jan. 1 as our base case," Hodulik wrote. "That said, the economic recession plus the need for social distancing, new health precautions, the lack of travel and crowd aversion are likely to make this business less profitable until there is a widely available vaccine."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/when-will-disney-world-and-disneyland-reopen-one-analyst-predicts-it-may-not-be-until-2021/ar-BB130zc5?ocid=spartanntp

I own points in Disney Vacation Club and have multiple weeks booked from now until November. When I called Member Services to ask what would happen to the points I used to book my existing mid-summer reservation (since my deadline to bank/rollover  un-used points is next week.) They told me the points would expire in September. I would have to use those points by September or I would end up losing them!

Disney is automatically cancelling reservations 7 days before vacation start date.  Even if the resorts do not reopen for the rest of the year which means I could potentially have no opportunity to re-book using those points - so I would LOSE them. But I guaran-darn-tee ya they will still charge me my annual dues and property taxes! YIKES! This is crazy town...

Yeah... I cancelled my reservation.

Edited by CruiszBug
Insert quote

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I really don't think Princess will ever reopen. They are the poster child for COVID

How come the Celebrity Apex doesn't get some of this love? Last I heard they had 150 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and they haven't even taken on passengers yet.

I have no doubt that the minute Disney opens back up, the park will fill to capacity (whatever they decide the post-shutdown capacity number should be).  Many spring break Disney vacations canceled in the shutdown - scores of heartbroken kids in princess & pirate costumes waiting to pile into the minivans with the "Disney ear" family stickers on the back window...

All hail the great and powerful Mouse.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

You have food upstate?

Shoot, that was supposed to be a secret...

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If you tell me you have hand sanitizer, bleach and lysol I'm leaving tonight

You can stay where you are, if I knew where I could find that stuff I might actually have some.  I'm lucky I have TP...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

How come the Celebrity Apex doesn't get some of this love? Last I heard they had 150 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and they haven't even taken on passengers yet.

Exactly because they didn't have any paying passengers? But yep, not a good look

• Like 1

According to the Australian government there’ll be no international travel in or out of Australia until early next year & only to selected countries.  International cruising is a long long way off.  Maybe 2022.  Unless a vaccine is available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

They didn't lie to a government 😉

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mpk said:

Am I the only one scratching my head on this one?   I haven't seen 90% of restaurants fail in my area, prior to the pandemic.  One thing about studies and statistics is exactly what they are studying.  How they determined the sample, etc.  That is just an incredible figure that doesn't match up to my admittedly limited sample area.

One of the reasons why I quoted the experts in this area is that they actively track the industry. While you may not have seen 90% of the restaurants fail in your area, have you visited 90% of the restaurants in your area? Have you seen a restaurant continue to exist in a location but the name changes? Have you seen an owner walk away and be replaced by a new owner? Have you seen an Italian restaurant suddenly become a Greek restaurant? Have you used a caterer that no longer caters? All of those are mortality events that are counted in that 90%.

18 hours ago, Drock20J said:

Bob Iger recently talked about some of the potential changes we might see at Disney parks, including temp checks/body scans, reduced capacity limits, and virtual queue lines.  All of these are great ideas!

No chance Disney could successfully switch to virtual queues in a few weeks or even months.  It took them years and $billions to roll out FastPass+ and MyDisneyExperience.  Maybe they could use the terrible Rise of the Resistance lottery model for every ride.  What a disaster that would be.  😄

Reality is there's no way to profitably run a theme park with social distancing.  It's as unrealistic at Disney as it is on a cruise ship.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Any idea how the virtual queues would work?  Sounds like a possible good idea even during "normal" times for the Disney parks.  The lines are the worst part of the Disney experience.

Disney World uses it now for the Rise of the Resistance attraction at Hollywood Studios. All done via the mydisneyexperience app. Unfortunately, so far the entire days capacity is usually “sold out” within 10 minutes of park opening. If they did it for a large number or all attractions, it wouldn’t be that bad. They have the technology available now.

mac_tlc

Just now, mac_tlc said:

Disney World uses it now for the Rise of the Resistance attraction at Hollywood Studios. All done via the mydisneyexperience app. Unfortunately, so far the entire days capacity is usually “sold out” within 10 minutes of park opening. If they did it for a large number or all attractions, it wouldn’t be that bad. They have the technology available now.

mac_tlc

Universal also does it for a few of their rides.

18 hours ago, Tapi said:

Another speculative article. Lots of opinions but few facts. 

If there’s one thing that is very clear to me is that NOBODY knows when cruise lines, parks, stadiums, etc will reopen. 

The speculation is kinda like prospecting for gold was.  Sooner or later you hit the jackpot.

There is NO clear cut path to opening things. Might just be trial and error. One thing is certain 1 Cruise line , Amusement Park, Sporting event will try to be the First.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

One of the reasons why I quoted the experts in this area is that they actively track the industry. While you may not have seen 90% of the restaurants fail in your area, have you visited 90% of the restaurants in your area? Have you seen a restaurant continue to exist in a location but the name changes? Have you seen an owner walk away and be replaced by a new owner? Have you seen an Italian restaurant suddenly become a Greek restaurant? Have you used a caterer that no longer caters? All of those are mortality events that are counted in that 90%.

The 80-90% failure rates you're quoting are for START UP restaurants.  To infer that applies to all restaurants is grossly inaccurate and misleading.  

I like the idea that someone had mentioned about only those staying in a Disney hotel being able to go to the park.  I am NOT a Disney fan but that could persuade me to go

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1