So, If You Can't Cruise This Summer, What Will You Do?

HamOp

I never cruise in the summer. I’m usually too busy with my plants, pots and gardening to leave it for even a couple of weeks.

Summer here is too short so we try to make the most of it here.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Reading. 

Just finished Path Between the Seas yesterday, and am starting Burning Cold this afternoon. 

Haven't read Path yet but I did read and enjoyed Burning Cold. Hope you like it too!

I plan to enjoy my pool, plan next year's travels to Newfoundland, and, hopefully clean out some stuff from the house. I'll be glad when the donation centres open up again! My kids don't want my cast-offs, and I'd like to whittle things down so we can down-size to a one-story house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HamOp said:

Haven't read Path yet but I did read and enjoyed Burning Cold. Hope you like it too!

Thanks. 

Path Between the Seas is over 600 pages, and fairly dry reading. But the author makes it interesting, and the history is fascinating. It wasn't one of those books that keep me up all night reading, but I did skip chores to pick it up for an afternoon.
It was one of those books I was sorry to see end, so that's a pretty good recommendation. 

• Like 5

Will be limiting my cruising to my kayak this summer. If the riptides cooperate, I will go to the beach. And there is always the pool. I sense a water theme here. 

I will do some gardening. Spend lots of time with a Bindi. 

I will occupy my mind with planning a couple of road trips, and a real cruise to Alaska next years.

And I will slowly and carefully visit more local places.

We cruise every summer due to work schedules, so it feels like a very odd year. Right now, we're sad about the loss of our summer cruise, and wondering if we will sail again at Christmas as scheduled. 

I am going to take my time getting used to going out again!  We might take a driving holiday up to Tofino, if things are opening up there.  We certainly will stay on the Island.  People in the tourist industry are begging for visitors, but the locals all say "Stay away!"

• Like 1

I have a new website up and running for my business.  My online business is a retirement enterprise with 100% of the profits earmarked for travel.   I am still blissfully hopeful that my next cruise will sail but my rational self says that won’t happen.   If it doesn’t happen I will be on next year’s VOV or a luxury yacht ship to Alaska 

• Like 1

I wish we could get to family in Minnesota. They are out in the country and have a pool too. Time with them is what I am wishing for right now and where at some point I would rather be. I'm not so sure about our future cruising anyways and  not just because of the virus. I have thought too about doing other things besides cruising to see and do other things at some point.

Edited by rjbean4

House maintenance. Pressure wash, paint, etc. Plus, we are planning a deck addition built by our own wee widdle hands. We are a handy lot round here and dh has an itch to buy some new "toys." Can a man ever have "enough" tools?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

House maintenance. Pressure wash, paint, etc. Plus, we are planning a deck addition built by our own wee widdle hands. We are a handy lot round here and dh has an itch to buy some new "toys." Can a man ever have "enough" tools?

Haha!  DH has been working around the house, too.  One way to keep him out of mischief...  And Home Depot will make deliveries to your car!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I have a new website up and running for my business.  My online business is a retirement enterprise with 100% of the profits earmarked for travel.   I am still blissfully hopeful that my next cruise will sail but my rational self says that won’t happen.   If it doesn’t happen I will be on next year’s VOV or a luxury yacht ship to Alaska 

Good for you!  By the way, your "motto" ('not our first cruise and hopefully not our last') is a great one to remember this year...

55 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

I'm pretty sure that the universally correct answer to that question is always "No!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gardening, golfing, knitting, reading. Labor Day weekend I’m to go to Iceland for 5 days on a rescheduled trip that was supposed to start in March two days after the travel ban was issued.  I’m hoping by then Iceland is open to U.S. residents. 

Don't want to be a downer, but looks like I am going to spend the summer driving DW to chemo. ☹️

And hoping we can get a spring week in Sorrento and maybe a Baltic cruise in the early summer 2021.

• Like 1

Never,ever cruise in the summer.  Spend it at home and in the Rockies.  Fall may find us in Greece/Crete or Zihuantenejo or Puerto Escondido depending on covid.    Winter may find us traveling up the Pacific coast of Mexico or in Thailand/SE Asia.  The latter, our preference,  is a long shot and will depend on covid.  No cruises for at least a year, probably longer.    OR......we could be stuck at home doing day trips or whatever

Edited by iancal