Cruise Startup Date

I highly doubt it. The y have hefty loans that will require payback. That interest accumulates on that total already. It is some odd 10-12%. If they don't have revenue and profits next year to start paying it off, you will see them heading for bankruptcy. They have ships, Labadee, and CocoCay used as collateral. To my understanding, those were secured debts they took on. 

I understand the loans and their debt, but what happens if there is an outbreak on board and the US wont let them in port. I am not afraid to cruise when they open but not being allowed back in the home port is something else. They do have the advantage to use their own private islands for port of calls and then just bob around for a few days at sea. That to me doesn't sound bad at all. We love sea days. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

There’s already a million threads on this. No exaggeration. It’s a million. 

Oh stop!

I only counted 997,542. Oh wait, there's another one. 997,543. 😁

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

I don't think it'll be after 2021. Not sure how they'd survive. Of course, it's not all up to them, but here's the thing...

There is a limit to how much 'lock down' and social distancing the American people will tolerate before many decide to get back to living, and some will get hurt or die.

That's not as callous as it sounds. First off, though much of human history, people didn't have the luxury of doing big shut downs. You got the crop in or you starved, hunted or didn't eat, etc... It's a sign of how blessed we are that we could shut down so much to flatten the curve, spreading out severe cases to aid hospitals and other care givers in dealing with the sick, and giving researchers time to learn more - such as what helps and what doesn't, that proneness to form blood clots and 'cytokine storm' immune system overreaction are factors, etc... And we're still hoping for a good vaccine soon.

But we'll only wait so long. At some point, more and more people (and the political will they generate) will build to 'take back' what we've lost. And there will be a jump in cases and increased deaths if it comes to that (as in the news lately). 

I hope we get a good vaccine and things don't have to get so dire. But I don't see the American people retaining their current willingness to comply with pandemic-related restrictions clear through next year. 

Even with bankruptcy, can Royal and Carnival survive no cruising till 2022?

I'm guessing resumption Spring 2021. 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I will have your answer right here....just give me a minute.  Then I need DaveKathy to back me up with his magic 8 ball after that.  😉 

aCGH Crystal Ball Reveals Clues to Colorectal Cancer Metastasis ...

No problem. I've got your back my DS friend. 🍷  sealeggs...my Magic 8 Ball says, "ask again later". 🎱

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I agree with drrich2.  The government says we will all get covid at some point.  I see family members in stores and some wear masks and some don't.  Some have plastic gloves on and some don't.  And they all go home in the same vehicle.  Don't get the thinking on that.  If you want to stay safe I guess you stay home.  Now in NV the governor has declared that if you go out you better have your mask on and yet he does not wear one.  How do you wear a mask in a restaurant?  I am in the 70+ age range and yet I am willing to take responsibility for my actions.  If I go out and get sick and die then that is on me but at least I am living my life and not sitting at home.  I know, I could get other people sick if I have it, but if we are all going to be exposed eventually does it really make a difference if we are exposed in the store or on a ship. I hope cruises start in Jan 2021 at the latest.  If not then we are all going to see the end of some fun vacations.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I agree with drrich2.  The government says we will all get covid at some point.  I see family members in stores and some wear masks and some don't.  Some have plastic gloves on and some don't.  And they all go home in the same vehicle.  Don't get the thinking on that.  If you want to stay safe I guess you stay home.  Now in NV the governor has declared that if you go out you better have your mask on and yet he does not wear one.  How do you wear a mask in a restaurant?  I am in the 70+ age range and yet I am willing to take responsibility for my actions.  If I go out and get sick and die then that is on me but at least I am living my life and not sitting at home.  I know, I could get other people sick if I have it, but if we are all going to be exposed eventually does it really make a difference if we are exposed in the store or on a ship. I hope cruises start in Jan 2021 at the latest.  If not then we are all going to see the end of some fun vacations.

Restaurants shouldn't be open yet.  They are already showing that they are the source of new outbreaks.  That takes care of your "problem" with wearing a mask in a restaurant.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sealeggs said:

I understand the loans and their debt, but what happens if there is an outbreak on board and the US wont let them in port. I am not afraid to cruise when they open but not being allowed back in the home port is something else. They do have the advantage to use their own private islands for port of calls and then just bob around for a few days at sea. That to me doesn't sound bad at all. We love sea days. 

They can only use their private ports if the respective governments allow it. 

6 hours ago, sealeggs said:

So who else thinks RCCL won't start until after 2021? I am starting to think that.

I don't think that. Like any other business (like your local diner or shop), businesses need to reopen to stay in business. 

20 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Restaurants shouldn't be open yet.  They are already showing that they are the source of new outbreaks.  That takes care of your "problem" with wearing a mask in a restaurant.

Please provide your source for this - specifically restaurants and not bars serving food.  Not arguing with you one way or the other, but please back up your statement with some stats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In NV restaurants have been open for a short period of time with inside seating rearranged to code of 6 ft apart.  Maybe, Merion_Mom your state is not the same.  It is easy to say eating establishments should not be open but I heard a statistic the other day while listening to a popular radio show that it is possible that 35% of business will close their doors.  How can we justify keeping shops, stores, restaurants, etc,  closed for such a long period of time.  No, I cannot give you documentation, but even if this person was half right that is a lot of people who will be relying on some form of help while they try to figure out what to do.  So, I go back to my original thoughts.  We are all suppose to be exposed eventually.  Let me be exposed now and then I can get back to living my life, however it may play out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Why is that wow.  Do you want to spend the next year paranoid about leaving your home or wondering who you are in contact with who might give you Covid 19. 

Wow. You don't quite grasp the possibilities of outcomes when contracting the disease. And further, don't understand that just because you had the virus does not mean that you won't get it again. And getting the virus, you are highly likely to (1) infect those around you and (2) even for those around you that you don't infect, you will cause them to have to isolate for 2 weeks. It isn't just about you. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Wow. You don't quite grasp the possibilities of outcomes when contracting the disease. And further, don't understand that just because you had the virus does not mean that you won't get it again. And getting the virus, you are highly likely to (1) infect those around you and (2) even for those around you that you don't infect, you will cause them to have to isolate for 2 weeks. It isn't just about you. 

You make a really good case for keeping cruising shut down.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You make a really good case for keeping cruising shut down.

They don't need a really good case, they have something going already that is keeping them on land.

• Like 1

On the issue of shut down duration in America, many businesses and the broader society have a situation a bit analogous to the cruise industry's. The U.S. already had an immense national debt I don't think any of us expect to ever get paid. It had enormous annual spending deficits rapidly escalating the debt, with no expectation of fiscal responsibility to stop escalating the debt in sight. We were likely nearing the end of an uncommonly long bull market with expectations of a recession soon by some...and that's all before COVID-9 hit.

Business shutdowns and closures, widespread unemployment, a federal government already terribly 'in the hole' sending out hordes of stimulus checks, huge drops in tax revenues for cities trying to figure out how to fund services (you know, schools, police, pensions, etc...?). 

People delaying getting health care for problems, routine vaccinations, screenings for cancer and such...there's expected to be a body count from that. 

I've seen in other online discussions a sense people who want to hasten opening back up are portrayed as ignorant (e.g.: don't understand how serious it is, don't think it'll happen to them) or 'selfish' (e.g.: not in a high-risk group so figure it won't be too bad, and if they spread it and hurt or kill others, too bad).

That's not always accurate. There are a range of views on when and how opening back up should take place. Beyond the cruise industry, I question how long shut downs and related restrictions can go on if we don't get a vaccine. Much of the United States is 'voting with its feet' and opening back up...with a cost in illness and lives. 

Whichever side of the issue (or whatever shade of gray) each of us favors, this is a hard matter for all. And the consequences (e.g.: health, economic, social disruption) run deep.

• Like 3

The virus cannot last forever.

With primitive medicine 100 years ago, Spanish flu lasted 2 years, with 3 outbreaks.

More recently, MERS and SARS were controlled in due course of time.

SARS lasted approximately six months as the disease spread to more than two dozen countries in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia before it was stopped in July 2003

2 hours ago, mek said:

Please provide your source for this - specifically restaurants and not bars serving food.  Not arguing with you one way or the other, but please back up your statement with some stats.

It's both.  It's all.  Just one culprit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/us/coronavirus-florida-texas-california-arizona.html