When do you realistically expect to cruise again?

kangforpres

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Probably need more than one per day.   Masks should be replaced when torn or damp.  How many are familiar with the correct procedures for donning and removing a mask?  Or, even wearing a mask.  Just returned from Walmart.  Probably 50% were improperly worn.  The most popular style seemed to be just under the nose.  Now exactly how much protection does that afford?

At least more protection than the ones I see worn under the chin.

• Like 1

TA told me that 2021 is in high demand - booking wise- one can only hope that by that time they can cruise without problems- just imagine canceling all those- refunding the down payments... ! A nightmere!

Wearing mask like this- nose pops out of the mask- one also can wear no mask at all! We see that here in Germany too.

Sloopy that- just sloopy- but well- IMO Germans are the worst clad nation in the world. No one seems to care anymore what they put one- jump suits everywhere!  Some doesn´t seem to  look into a mirror before leaving the house...- well off topig- but true!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DFD1 said:

The growth of the cruise industry from those early days is one of the great business success stories. To see it torn apart by events it could not control is tragic.

Your comment was, in my opinion, quite perceptive. And I really enjoyed you sharing memories about "the early days."

10 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Nor can we hide behind masks forever.

The Al mandate requires wearing a mask inside most facilities.  If those facilities are so dangerous that a mask is required then I will avoid those facilities if at all possible.  

I'll be happy to wear a mask for as long as needed. Gotta save lives!

You do realize that you're suppose to wear a mask to the doctor's office, and to the hospital.

Don't worry. The government will take care of you. 🙂

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

Not until there is a proven vaccine that is close to 100% effective.

And not until I know exactly what is the air line and cruise line product from beginning to end. Further, I am not cruising if there is any chance of being rejected at the dock, not happening period.

I am not purchasing an unknown and will not be a guinea pig.

25 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

And not until I know exactly what is the air line and cruise line product from beginning to end. Further, I am not cruising if there is any chance of being rejected at the dock, not happening period.

My sentiments exactly!

1 hour ago, Doubt It said:

Further, I am not cruising if there is any chance of being rejected at the dock, not happening period.

Yep.  Not cruising if there's a chance of ending up on a quarantined prison ship.  That would stop us more than being worried about catching the virus.

10 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Most likely never again. We enjoyed the ones we went on but those days are gone. Spending lots of money to fly then cruising as we get older most likely won't happen. sightcrr

SightCRR. I agree with you. We've done almost 40 cruises in the past 20 years and had to cancel 3 this year.

Too many variables for us, and like Doubt It said we're not getting stuck on board because you can't get back

into a certain port.......

So for those of you who will continue to cruise have fun................we're done.  baffles

1 hour ago, Doubt It said:

I am pretty certain 100% or even near it will never happen.

As it was, actually still is, we couldn’t cruise again until my wife finishes her post graduate work in late July 2021.  As a graduation gift I was looking at August and later cruises.  I’ve stopped that research and planning.  At this point I honestly don’t know when and if we’ll ever cruise again.  It saddens me to think our cruise this past January may have been our last.   

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

There has to be some combination of vaccine and treatment. And nothing in life (I guess except you eventually die) is 100%. Hopefully they get close, or this virus eventually either dies out or mutates into something more like the common cold.

When my March 2020 cruise was cancelled I opted for FCC. Felt comfortable rebooking for late January/early February 2021. Now I'm not so sure. At this point, I don't think there will be any cruising until we get a vaccine and/or quality treatment. Cases continue to mushroom all through the US and I don't see any port wanting 1000s of people streaming into their state to board a ship - not to mention those of us not interested in taking chances going into those areas. I think things are too far gone to try and control this thing and we will be dealing with it until there is some type of medical intervention. Been cruising for nearly 30 years and would love to get on a ship soon, but at this point I'm happy to take a drive in the car to a park or lake. I'm more comfortable staying close to home and safe.

I also don't see ports welcoming American's at this point. The one thing that could make a difference is rapid, accurate testing. If everyone was tested while getting on the ship and again each morning (crew also), you may be able to catch things before they got out of control. But, as of now that type of testing is not available  - and it would make a big difference in school openings and workplace safety also.

The inaccuracy of tests and delayed results have been  negative factors here and  have caused some people to avoid getting tested. Also the cost of the testing for some  has been a factor in discouraging wide-spread testing.

Edited by DFD1

9 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I understand your thinking.  I just cannot bring myself to admit:  never again.

As a senior citizen in the latter half of being 70, cruising in the new paradigm, whatever that may yet be, may be risky.  But...  If I enjoyed that last "fling" before become fatally ill....

I think back to stories I have read about "Kissing Annie".  Her doctors told her to not sail on that cruise on which she passed.  She passed doing what she enjoyed doing. 

So much to consider!  To Cruise or not to Cruise.  That seems to be the modern cruisers' question to paraphrase Shakespeare.

4 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Also the cost of the testing for some  has been a factor in discouraging wide-spread testing.

Out of curiosity, how much does a test cost?  

13 minutes ago, Roz said:

Depending on where you get the test, up to  $165.00.

There are also some rotating free testing sites, but they are almost always out of testing materials before noon. Lots of people show up, but do not get tested. I'm speaking about west central Florida.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Roz said:

I had to be tested before my colonoscopy.  It was done at my local hospital and the bill was $100.  My insurance allowance was $98, the hospital agreed to limit their fees to the insurance allowance and I paid nothing.

Roy

• Like 2