Millennium Class ships moving to Pullmantur?

dadraftsman

https://www.cruises-info.com/2020/11/pullmantur-cruises-update-2-millenium.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR1qp-Wo48C0gJ3P76UmcJFooxX9mZVDBkj_3n-f6wXMkVXwLLWoxEMgma4

Saw this linked on FB. Can't vouch for the veracity of the site, since I can't say I've ever seen it before. I also haven't heard of any other cruise ships referred to a "Millennium Class" other than the current Celebrity ships.

Thoughts??

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Pullmantur bankrupt. Cruises suspended until December 2021
Why would they be transferring 2 ships, if cruises are suspended until December 2021?

Gives them time to reorganize until then, the article is an interesting read.

Edited by CruiseAdict218

2 hours ago, dadraftsman said:

https://www.cruises-info.com/2020/11/pullmantur-cruises-update-2-millenium.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR1qp-Wo48C0gJ3P76UmcJFooxX9mZVDBkj_3n-f6wXMkVXwLLWoxEMgma4

Saw this linked on FB. Can't vouch for the veracity of the site, since I can't say I've ever seen it before. I also haven't heard of any other cruise ships referred to a "Millennium Class" other than the current Celebrity ships.

Thoughts??

Which I posted it in the Pullmantur forum, someone responded with two of the four are fairly updated and two are not, I’m curious which of the two aren’t. 

5 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Which I posted it in the Pullmantur forum, someone responded with two of the four are fairly updated and two are not, I’m curious which of the two aren’t. 

Constellation and Infinity have not had their updates. Summit and Millennium have completed their “Revolution”

• Like 2

This makes absolute sense.  All the big cruise lines are looking to ditch their oldest ships.  In Celebrity's case that of course is the M-class.  These ships are too big for Azamara, and too old to sell – so transfering them to Pullmantur is the obvious solution.  [Isn't that how Pullmantur has always gotten its ships?]  The question in my mind was whether it would be just the two that haven't had $$$ poured into the 'revolution' or all four.  But since Pullmantur needs to re-start small, two is the logical approach.  Win-Win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

The article did not identify which M Class ships would be moving/sold to Pullmantur. X could get more for the Revolutionized ships which could then be used in part to update Infinity and Constellation. 

The article did say that Pullmantur would renovate the ships to add more balconies [if that's what this meant: "And, with the idea of improving the offer, staking on a more modern design with a greater number of cabins with balcony." – sounds like a translation from the Spanish and possibly out of context]  Pullmantur is less high-end than Celebrity, so the 'revolution' upgrades to suite class etc. would be wasted on them.  Better to start with the original design ships if you're going down-market.

28 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think the text about modern design and more balconies is more about upgrading from their previous fleet.

You are correct. The article said that the ships they sent to scrap did not have many balconies unlike the Millennium ships they will get from Celebrity.  One of the old ships was actually Horizon an old X ship n

Edited by RICCruisers

2 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Oh I didn't even think to check the Pullmantur board! Good catch. As others have stated, Infinity and Constellation haven't been upgraded yet, I would tend to agree that those would be the ones to move to Pullmantur

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Constellation and Infinity?

Makes most sense IMHO, since those ships were not refurbished yet. Summit and Millennium got the huge refurb 2019, so it wouldn't make sense at all to transfer them to Pullmantur...

Those news are a bumemr certainly. Hopefully those elegant Millie-ships don't get worn down when owned by the cheap all-inclusive operator Pullmantur... 😔

5 hours ago, docruth said:

Wow! Since the ‘E’ class is so far below par, looks like I’ll be cruising the ‘M’ class on Pullmantur.

I agree that the E class is below par but I won't be moving to Pullmantur .  I think you would have a better experience if you started singing the "Love Boat" song.

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The article did say that Pullmantur would renovate the ships to add more balconies [if that's what this meant: "And, with the idea of improving the offer, staking on a more modern design with a greater number of cabins with balcony." – sounds like a translation from the Spanish and possibly out of context] 

Improving the offer with greater number of balconies is what the acquisition of M-class does... the previous Sovereign ships and Horizon were from an era with a small number of balconies only.

Adding more balconies to an M-class ship (if possible at all) would require structural changes - not likely.

Edited by Miaminice

8 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Ought to be interesting since I have a cruise booked for Oct. 2021 on Millennium....

That's irrelevant to Celebrity.  We were booked on the Mercury when they decided to transfer it to TUI. Our cruise was cancelled and we were forced to take an earlier Mercury cruise with minimal OBC for the inconvenience. Instead of sailing out of Charleston where we lived, we had to drive to Baltimore for Mercury's final sailing under Celebrity's flag.

I saw this as a very likely scenario a few months ago, the pair of them have been hovering about off the Greek coast for a considerable time. There is no way Celebrity will spend on these older ships now, they won't be the only ones that will be moved on.  In fact I further predict Celebrity will become a much smaller exclusive cruise line in the future. Cruising is set to change a lot more than many realise.

Edited by BigAl94

14 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Pullmantur bankrupt. Cruises suspended until December 2021
Why would they be transferring 2 ships, if cruises are suspended until December 2021?

That is a great question, how could Pullmantur ever sail again while bankrupt with zero cash? We have 2 Infinity cruises booked next year and have our fingers crossed they will happen. We booked both thinking the Infinity would have been revolutionized which was pre pandemic scheduled for this month.

Two will be transferred but the article does not actually say which two and when they will be transferred.  So those of you who have a cruise booked on M-Class just wait it out I guess for more info.  As it will take a lot of time for the bankruptcy reorganization, and new financing, maybe the transfer of the two ships will not happen until 2022 at this point.