The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 18th, 2022

richwmn

Happy Hanukkah!  

Thanks for all of the information and photos and sermon!

We will be walking to church today.  Later we will see a production of A Christmas Carol.  My DH wants to see it every year.  I could never see it again.

Last night we saw a lighted boat parade.  There were about 10 boats, but they each had music and lots of lights!  There were two other organized boat parades last night, so that probably accounts for the low number of boats.  It was nice and my DS had put out a nice dinner buffet!  They had a lot of lights outside, and other neighbors had decorated too!  The neighbor across from them had lit mermaid and dolphins!  

Best wishes to all!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  I almost baked some traditional Christmas cookies, this year, but life got in the way.  I thought Flake appreciation was for Cadbury Flake chocolate, which I can appreciate any day of the year.

I will not be making today’s meal suggestion because I start my journey to Canada tomorrow.  I am trying to get rid of perishables so we are having a smorgasbord of items:  Greek salad, chicken tenders, deviled eggs, crudités and blue cheese dip.  We will probably graze through them as opposed to having them at one sitting.  I also had some buttermilk so this morning’s breakfast was pancakes.

I discovered I have no gift bags, boxes, or wrap to accommodate my husband’s presents so I guess I am off to Wally World today.  Not my favourite place at the best of times.  I can’t believe Christmas is only a week away.  I am not ready.

• Like 20

HAPPY HANUKKAH!

TO @kochleffel, @mamaofami AND ALL WHO CELEBRATE HANUKKAH.

Good morning from a sunny, not windy, cold central Texas.  There was frost on the ground when I got up.

Before I go any further, this is the link to Rich's @richwmn post from October 27, 2021, when Adelaide was the port of the day.

The Daily for Thursday October 21, 2021

richwmn

By richwmn,
October 21, 2021 in Holland America Line

Today there will be no cookies baked since I finished my cookie baking last week.  I'll celebrate twin day, and Happy Twin Day to @StLouisCruisers Sandi, and her twin.  My mother's cousins were identical twins, and it took me many years to be able to tell them apart.  When one visited, we'd have to wait until he mentioned his twin before we knew which one was visiting.  Hats off to @RedneckBob our resident "Flake" who gives us laughs everyday, and I'll celebrate snowflakes from afar..  

The Stephen King quote is very true.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

We have not been to Adelaide, but would like to visit someday.

@Seasick Sailor Joy, it looks like you and Allen are having a great time on your cruise.  Thanks for the pictures.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, thanks for the pictures of your cats.  Ours used to go "nuts" when we gave them a catnip toy.

@summer slope  Dixie, I'm glad you made it home safely, but sorry about the dead battery.

@aliaschief  Bruce, sorry about your first freeze.  We had freezing temperatures in November here, and it was freezing early this morning.

@smitty34877  Terry, I was surprised your surgery was later in the day.  Sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

@ottahand7  Nancy,  🎂 💐  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  🎈 🍷 

@*Miss G*  Safe travels tomorrow.  Good luck at Wally World today.  😉

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate. Our twins and their families will be here shortly for our Christmas brunch. On3of the families is celebrating Christmas and New Years in Portugal and Spain hence the early date. If I can get everyone to stand still long enough for a photo I will post it later. Picture taking is like herding cats here - oh wait that was the other day!

no baking today but the cookies are plated!

0207C44B-45D3-471A-965B-A1CADF32F885.jpeg

Edited by superoma
Add info
  • Like 25

17 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

HAPPY HANUKKAH!

TO @kochleffel, @mamaofami AND ALL WHO CELEBRATE HANUKKAH.

Good morning from a sunny, not windy, cold central Texas.  There was frost on the ground when I got up.

Before I go any further, this is the link to Rich's @richwmn post from October 27, 2021, when Adelaide was the port of the day.

The Daily for Thursday October 21, 2021

richwmn

By richwmn,
October 21, 2021 in Holland America Line

Today there will be no cookies baked since I finished my cookie baking last week.  I'll celebrate twin day, and Happy Twin Day to @StLouisCruisers Sandi, and her twin.  My mother's cousins were identical twins, and it took me many years to be able to tell them apart.  When one visited, we'd have to wait until he mentioned his twin before we knew which one was visiting.  Hats off to @RedneckBob our resident "Flake" who gives us laughs everyday, and I'll celebrate snowflakes from afar..  

The Stephen King quote is very true.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

We have not been to Adelaide, but would like to visit someday.

@Seasick Sailor Joy, it looks like you and Allen are having a great time on your cruise.  Thanks for the pictures.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, thanks for the pictures of your cats.  Ours used to go "nuts" when we gave them a catnip toy.

@summer slope  Dixie, I'm glad you made it home safely, but sorry about the dead battery.

@aliaschief  Bruce, sorry about your first freeze.  We had freezing temperatures in November here, and it was freezing early this morning.

@smitty34877  Terry, I was surprised your surgery was later in the day.  Sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

@ottahand7  Nancy,  🎂 💐  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  🎈 🍷 

@*Miss G*  Safe travels tomorrow.  Good luck at Wally World today.  😉

Lenda

Thanks QC, I prefer shake and bake, not shake and flake 😳, though I do sometimes have a dandruff problem 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate.  Prayers for all in need.

Off to church in a bit.  Then an afternoon of football and fajitas made by my nephew.  Tomorrow, I hope, last shopping trip before the holiday.  Watching the weather forecast for later in the week — could be trouble for some.  Have a great  day.  Katherine 

• Like 17

Happy Sunday Morning Dailyites!  World Cup is on,  news has been watched, and the temperature has gone up 2 !!! degrees since I got up this morning. However the wind chill is making it feel like it's in the mid twenties.

I went to sleep late last night, but slept until 8 this morning.  It was wonderful!  I still beat the sun up (since we live in the holler) But the frost is off the jeeps, both the Feral Fawn and the Bubbles cats slept on the porch, and were in no rush to get off the porch.  I put the food in, they ate and climbed back up in the blankets.,    Not sure how warm that space heater will make the plastic wrapped porch when the temps get down to -now they say- 13 - on Thursday.  However Bubbles said about 30 minutes ago that he wanted out.  And now the door is open, and Fawn is digging in deeper into the blankets.

I do have to go do some shopping, grocery store and Farmers market.  Which is like a crowded mall every Sunday.  I guess I could do it tomorrow morning.  I do have to do the Christmas cards, still, and put up the giant wreath.  It's huge, and takes two of us to get it on the front of the house and run the extension cord out to it, but I really have not decorated at all this year.  Years ago when there was a garden group in the neighborhood, DH and I got an award for most creative decorating.  Maybe it's the lack of Christmas music in my life....

@Cat in my lapWhen I worked at the Woodruff Arts Center, we got tickets to the Christmas Carol for 15 years. DH felt it wasn't Christmas unless we went.  I felt more like it was a trip to Hades every winter.  The last two times we went, I fell sound asleep.  I have seen it done with a small production with traditional music at the Shakespeare Tavern (oldest Shakespeare theatre in the US)  and loved it. This year our Christmas outing was to see the Atlanta Master Chorale, and since we both loved it that may be our new Holiday go to.

Guess I had better get a move on and get those cards done.  Have a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

Snow predicted for Thursday and a possible White Christmas. Earlier than normal for us so I just brought the snowblower to the house from my shed. No procrastinating this year with prepping!

We have been to Adelaide for the day but arrived by air. My friend that lives in Melbourne arranged a daytrip on our trip to Oz/NZ in 2007. I'll look for photos from then on my CF memory cards.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich, and Happy Hannukah to @kochleffel, @mamaofami and others who celebrate it.  I haven't baked cookies or anything else in years.  I enjoy a few snow flakes but not too many.  Two of my cousins were twins.  I like the King quote.   I visited Adelaide March 10, 2020 on Queen Mary 2.  The meal sounds great but I had something similar last night and don't have an air fryer.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple and Pina Coloda Soup, Sirloin Steak, and Butter Pecan Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam December 18, 2013.

Today’s care list:

USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
StLouisCruisers DD recovering from foot surgery
From the rotation:
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Hannukah day 1
Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

na1218.thumb.JPG.7cab514979565497881eb13fa205224d.JPG

SharoninAz approved for Arthritis meds
Marshhawk’s vascular doctor
A new Camila photo
Monday hip replacement for smitty34877t certain
Happy Birthday ottahand7
4 days for richwmn {Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23)
SusieKIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/22) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23 Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

I get the stitches out of my face tomorrow morning where the skin cancer was cut out.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good morning to all. Still very cold here but we are supposed to move into a slow warming trend with temps reaching to the 40's this coming week. I hope. Dogs and I rushed in and out this morning but we will walk again in about a hour as the sun is warming things up.

Haven't been to Adelaide. The meals both sound really good, but I am fixing a meatloaf today which will then feed me for a few days. I plan to do my final Christmas meal shopping tomorrow morning early. Don't need much and maybe I can beat the rush.

I watched the ships sail from Ft. Lauderdale yesterday. It really put me in the mood for getting away again. My day will come.

Susan

• Like 16

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate. I'll be baking cookies, but not today. No twin here (that I know of).  Flakes? True quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine.

I've been to Australia, but not Adelaide.

Brrrr. We're in the 20's with wind chill in the teens. There was some snow overnight, not much, but the morning news reported lots of accidents so there was likely some ice with it. I had a nice time at the concert last night, but had to go out from my seat as the tightness of the seats caused unbearable knee pain. I'll do laundry this afternoon, after the World Cup game. Also take the beef out of the freezer for the Sauerbraten; I'll start the marinating on Tuesday.

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon today. Good luck at the doctor's visit tomorrow.

@ottahand7 Happy Birthday!

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for sharing your cruise photos.

@smitty34877 Prayers for your surgery tomorrow.

@*Miss G* Safe travels tomorrow.

@superoma Those cookies look great! Enjoy the family Christmas Brunch.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate. I'll be baking cookies, but not today. No twin here (that I know of).  Flakes? True quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine.

I've been to Australia, but not Adelaide.

Brrrr. We're in the 20's with wind chill in the teens. There was some snow overnight, not much, but the morning news reported lots of accidents so there was likely some ice with it. I had a nice time at the concert last night, but had to go out from my seat as the tightness of the seats caused unbearable knee pain. I'll do laundry this afternoon, after the World Cup game. Also take the beef out of the freezer for the Sauerbraten; I'll start the marinating on Tuesday.

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon today. Good luck at the doctor's visit tomorrow.

@ottahand7 Happy Birthday!

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for sharing your cruise photos.

@smitty34877 Prayers for your surgery tomorrow.

@*Miss G* Safe travels tomorrow.

@superoma Those cookies look great! Enjoy the family Christmas Brunch.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Thank you Vanessa.

I hope your knee pain has gone now.

Graham.

• Like 8

Good morning all and Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate.

I guess I celebrated Bake Cookies day too early, mine were done 2 days ago and yesterday we delivered some to the grandsons.  Those hugs after not seeing them for a month felt so good!

There are no twins in my family or DH's that I know of.  We did see some flakes yesterday at DD and DSIL's, it was snowing there but didn't stick.  We're supposed to get snow this week, but doubtful we'll have a White Christmas because that day is supposed to rain all day.

I actually prefer buttery Chardonnay, so may like this wine. The meal sounds good too, but too heavy for me today.  Appetite still isn't quite back, and I was shocked to see I've lose 9 pounds because of that flu.  I don't feel like I look it, but that's what the scale says.  It records your last weight and present.  Will pass on the drink.

Today I need to get started on wrapping presents.  We decided yesterday that I'll decorate the very top of the tree and save the rest for the boys' visit next week.  

Have a great day everyone!

Happy Birthday Nancy @ottahand7!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate.  Thanks to Rich, Roy, and the F&B ladies for the Daily News.

We went to church last night (to free up seats for todays service) to see our Christmas production. We also took DMiL. She enjoyed the service. Afterwards we went to dinner. 

Hugs and prayers for everyone who needs them, cheers to all who are celebrating today.  Stay safe, be well.

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 17

Good afternoon friends!  What a busy day!  Yesterday we took a taxi to the rental car center near the cruiseport and were there when they opened the doors at 8 am.  Fifteen minutes later we were on our way north in a Prius, a much different type of car than we usually get.  I'm not sure I would rate a Prius a midsize car but we managed to fit the luggage in it if you include the large one in the back seat.  😁  At least it got great mileage!  It appeared we got around 59 mpg, but it sure had some weird gadgets on it.  It took until 7 pm to arrive home due to stopping about 4 times.  Still, during the ride my right leg began hurting.  Even compression sock didn't stop that, so I have to find time to run up and down our staircase 20 times a day and see if that helps.  It seemed to on the ship.  Anyway the Prius had to go back to the Atlanta airport before 8 am this morning so we were out of bed before 6 to get there early.  We stopped at the Kroger for a few breakfast things and once breakfast was over, all the work began.  Unpacking (stuff is everywhere), laundry loads, mail sorting, list making for grocery tomorrow which includes all the stuff we need to prepare Christmas dinner at DD's house.  That's the gathering spot and since she is still off her feet we will do the cooking again this year.  She worries about her house getting cleaned and how Sadie will behave with a houseful of new PEOPLE to play with.  But Christmas is a time to be with family and we will make it all work. 

Anyway it's good to be home for the week.  Sorry to hear about Dixie and George's car battery problem.  I told her I think I may have jinxed her since I asked if they ever had battery problems leaving a car unused for a month.  Very sorry!  

Thanks for the twin day mentions.  I need to find a minute to let my twin know it's our day!  I need to also go back and read all of today's posts.  Terry @smitty34877good wishes for you tomorrow!  Hopeful that pain is gone for good!  Love, love the photo of Miss Camilla.  What a grown up girl!  Also happy birthday Nancy @ottahand7.  Nice to hear the meds were approved for Sharon @Sharon in AZ and I really hope the relief comes soon.

Since Rich's post from Oct. 21, 2021 has been posted already all that's left to do is post my photos from Adelaide, Australia.

We visited Adelaide, South Australia on the Sun Princess Circumnavigation cruise of Oct. 2017, five years ago.  Fond memories of that cruise.  On October 14, 2017 we took a CC roll call tour of wine country from Adelaide.  We got on our van and headed out of town, stopping once when the driver noticed a chubby koala in a tree.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIEx7PPGpRwoX5PX7wS81vR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560453

First stop was Mount Lofty for a good overview of Adelaide.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLZlaO07ySnD_ngXgQjSyG9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560463

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIdI3ic6-69zEGLieUR19zC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560477

Our next stop was a lovely German influenced town of Hahndorf where we were allowed time to explore and get a bite to eat before we headed out to the wineries.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKUZn1WjXeI8-vskzIKqPM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560620

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAfjklRJK2-5w4yCGN8FKV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560591

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVTjN05Zbv49c-m5Vtw9Oj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560560

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXgVd5HXcNd8e1F5NWmjm5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560557

The Hahndorf Academy building from 1857.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIxQH1QCeWr1Nm7vQbhuYMt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560573

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLCjGOc-9iB6ZhmlXhpoQkB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560612

Next we stopped at a bird sanctuary which I will skip photos of so that we can get to the wineries.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKoHx8IGXyNVXmoYbvDxkWp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560750

First one was the Grant Burge winery which was lovely. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI96ALFv5atHcgZ86_HYnSM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560791

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGNFpqSLjQDMnvp8jCEGNF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560779

The view from the tasting room.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9msAtGhv5eXWBxoP6bwDd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560765

Next was the Chateau Dorrien winery which was more rustic instead of the sophistication of Grant Burge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLdU1UgddKIbeaf826aedkB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560795

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKZEK559_3xc0kciWnAsS3-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560808

Everybody was getting chatty by now!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVICXnC4EhAfj8mqJeb6Z-_e?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560818

Heading back to the ship.  Rows of palm trees

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDSuRWjc4tA8ZKecv4z1HZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513560840

While checking Rich's post from Oct. 21, 2021 I saw photos posted from @rafinmd, @tjcox9, and @GeorgeCharlie.  We had a great time there and it's well worth a stop on any Australian cruise.

Time to get back to work.  I promise to finish reading today's Daily before the end of the day.  Maybe during happy hour.  Sure am missing our bar crew, Khristle, Jeremiah (Bullfrog), and Angelina from Ocean Bar on Volendam.  DH will have to do instead!🥂

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the fleet report and all those reports. Happy Hanukkah to all, prayers and best wishes to those in need.

Well its snow Armageddon in Vancouver right now, approaching 5 inches. Just heard our main highway has been shut down.  Filled the propane tanks yesterday, not leaving the house.  Just finished all my wrapping, hoping the DW makes some more cookies.

Been off the Daily for the last week, we are all dealing with a family end of life, its a waiting game now.  Been a rough last 6 months with our impending 4th loss.

On a positive note just booked a new HAL cruise for April 2024.  Its a long way off but so excited. Don't know about these trans pacific crossings, decided to retire mid pacific last time and that didn't work out lol. Actually loved returning to work, this time around its a blast because it just doesn't matter.  Low stress

Have a wonderful day everyone, sitting in bed, sipping tea, watching the KC game  life is good

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6