The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 23rd, 2023

rafinmd

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  to all. Today I turn 69 and I am celebrating  by not cooking or doing anything  else of importance.

My handwriting  was always rather bad but now does not even resemble old signatures. I will blame it on arthritic  hands.I used to be able to decipher the horrible  handwriting  of others at work- a good skill lost to the technology  of the  electronic  medical records!

I like most pies but not being a baker we tend not to have them here.I have not been to the port but love the pictures  so far.

Thinking of @Cruising-along and Patricia at this sad time.

Take care everyone. 

Happy Birthday, Terry! May your new year be filled with love, laughter and great health!

8DE660C5-055E-42AD-A08A-05025C36181B.jpeg.00774b8b12cfad30a828fa796f0a40bd.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn and @rafinmd.

I like some pies, my favorite being key lime pie, but don't eat it often. I've been complimented on my good handwriting in the past. My DM was a teacher and had perfect "Palmer Method" handwriting. I did measure my feet, as they seem to have grown with age, and upped my sneakers a half size. Interesting quote. I love London broil; I'll have to defrost the one in the freezer. I'll pass on the drink and yes to the wine. And also yes to Roy's chilled banana soup.

I haven't been to Uturoa.

We got some snow overnight, about 2", but the roads aren't too bad (there were some accidents). It seems to not have stuck to my walkways, so no shoveling needed. I'll see what the news says before deciding about a run to the big box store. My eye has been irritated and somewhat red yesterday, but I think I beat back a flareup by using extra drops yesterday. I see the eye doctor on Thursday and I'm hoping the commute is ok, with some snow forecast then.

@Cruising-along Thinking of you and your family today.

@Seasick Sailor Nice photos from your St. Kitts excursion. Enjoy your remaining days onboard!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos of Uturoa.

@kazu That's a lot of snow. Glad you're safe inside and got provisions the other day. 

@RedneckBob That's a great shot!

@smitty34877 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎂 

@Sharon in AZ Enjoy GWTW! 

@cunnorl Nice pictures.

@aliaschief Happy Birthday to Susan! 🎈

@Vict0riann How sad for Jenny; prayers for her. I hope your cold symptoms are gone soon.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos, thanks.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

I was up and out early this morning to have my fasting labs done.  Now the wait for the results.  I'm glad I can see them quickly on "My Chart" through our clinic, so the wait isn't usually very long, ranging from minutes to 12 hours.  

When I got home, I got the sad news that Patricia has passed.  I'm sure it didn't take long once they removed her life support.  Again, thank you all for your prayers the past few days.  I can't even imagine what her close family members are feeling right now, especially her young daughters.  In his announcement her Dad referred to her as his hero, his angel.  I admired her so much, she will be missed.

I love almost every kind of pie except for coconut or pecan.  No pie today though, although it does sound really good.  The arthritis in my hands has made my handwriting really bad -- so I rarely write more than a line or two.  My feet also have changed size in the last few years.  I'll pass on the wine and drink, the meal (without the butter) sounds very good.  Not sure if the port today is on the Grand Australia itinerary.

Happy Birthday Terry @smitty34877and Susan @aliaschief's DW!

Sharon @Sharon in AZI love Gone With the Wind so much we have it at home.  But it's always more fun to see it on the big screen.  I remember DH and I went to see it in the movies a few years back when it was here.

I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 18

Loved seeing Jacqui's snow photos. We had about 15 minutes of snow flurries in Tucson this morning. Nothing stuck to the ground, but it was fun standing in the flurries. I believe the last time Tucson had snow that actually was on the ground was in March 2020. I think snow has happened 3 times since we moved here over 20 years ago.

• Like 20

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's 40F and will be a mostly sunny day with a high of only 48F.  Tonight will be even colder than last night.  I think we will go out for groceries today.  I am hearing sirens somewhere nearby and hope nothing serious is happening in the neighborhood.

Thanks for posting the Daily today Roy @rafinmdfor Rich @richwmn.  Interesting days to celebrate.  I love pie but don't have any here today.  Haven't measured my feet in decades, like most people.  My handwriting used to be good but not so much anymore.  My late DS Nancy had beautiful handwriting her whole life.  They actually taught us how to write cursive when our generation "came up".  Not anymore from what I hear.  I can't understand the reasoning on that.  The London Broil sounds delicious.  Odd quote today.  No thanks to the drink and wine.  

Prayers said for all on the Care list today, while we celebrate with the happy folks on the Celebration list.  Joy @Seasick Sailorwhat a cute monkey!  I'm glad they got a photo for you.  Much as you hate the cruising to end it will be good to be home for a bit to catch up on things.  Then another cruise to look forward to!  Yay!  

Uturoa, French Polynesia is where the Zuiderdam is today on the World Cruise.  It's located in the Society Islands on the largest island Raiatea.  Previously Raiatea, French Polynesia was our port of the day on Feb. 19, 2022 and May 29, 2022.  Since Uturoa is the capital and only significant town on the island I think we can say today is the third time for that destination and hopefully all the WC passengers enjoy a lovely day there.  We went there once on Maasdam in April 2017.  Here are the links to retrieve photos everyone.

On April 12, 2017 the Maasdam stopped in Uturoa, Raiatea, French Polynesia.  This is what it looked like from the top deck of the ship that morning.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpo3ARYqqwNoXcVBVSroda?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024029

This cheery group played and sang for us as we departed the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIBxeTywbcYhdl3I_HR1d6b?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024042

We went to that little cafe right next to the ship for something to drink and to try their wifi but unfortunately it was not working very well. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL83GjD3uzcfyGdyS6mOnEw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024070

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLu8PnKxR-g7t_F3laRkYR7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024084

It looked like you get do some type of excursion by taking a boat ride from here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKndW6tng0MrYucZrE0jytt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024077

Across the street was this tent with a crowd gathered so we went to see what was going on.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINubUdoNds5CWj2ler2BD3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024093

More music and dancing!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTu4wyKEGiYr5eWpi5Pm_m?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024101

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8Xz166dXH2AlOC5Kc6IqI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024112

Everyone was having a good time00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHczpSN4lLoNY2uTx7kTxD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024115

After listening for a while we went into the adjoining building where the marketplace was.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQex4duYT74FMmKcgPyM2g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024120

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzNBeT5e3hABQeX2qL2V12?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024128

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-YVc-YCkg7jl3iWYoNQxp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024130

As we left the building we noticed our ship master, Captain van Dreumel had arrived for a Welcome to Raiatea ceremony.  He was dressed appropriately for this island tradition.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKeTcQWf0LoR6Qv-z1h921?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024140

Where the dancing had gone on before, now everyone was seated and paying attention to the proceedings.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDyCdBLTvupyxl4gckVxDD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024143

It looked like the Captain received a plaque.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjonTnTLzyW9uIbLupx65O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024153

After the ceremony we walked a few blocks around town just taking it all in.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpLFS8KatrapjWzYkAs8Xf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024161

It's always fun to check out a grocery store!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJz7OGl3ep-gFijs4k7LsSy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024165

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKfIiCwffYVU49_OjJZ4UXC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024173

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyH-AHfNw2yb95Ul-SGbqn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024168

Shopping "kiosks" near the ship00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKm2pGUGLKpjN5NB9M3eoE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024179

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIL7mgTQI4AWNymg7d46Phz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024178

Lovely fabrics were for sale here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIL7mgTQI4AWNymg7d46Phz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024178

Nearing mid day it was getting too darn hot so we decided to board the ship.  No wifi was found that morning, sad to say.  But even worse, we saw an ambulance near the gangway taking a sick passenger away.  This is not something you would like to experience so far away from home.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqJGThXwgos2OKMLtUx4vX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1494024182

I do hope they weren't too ill and made it back to the ship before we sailed.  

Next day would be Bora Bora and a wonderful time spent with Patrick at his motu.

Interesting photos Sandi.

I hope the person who was taken away in the ambulance 🚑 recovered.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Today I turn 69 and I am celebrating  by not cooking or doing anything  else of importance.

A very happy birthday to you 🙂 

EDFDB910-906E-440F-9CFB-2CD18EBD6B03.jpeg.bfea9decec07c04b144b7e2858fa16b2.jpeg

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@smitty34877 Happy Birthday! 

Also Happy Birthday to my Dear Wife Susan!💐🍾❤️

A very happy birthday to Susan

7D7B6DA1-81BF-43AB-B566-3D6807AAFA1E.jpeg.8acca6d6c1bead5259c727c4e9bddebb.jpeg

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

and my cousin’s daughter, Jenny, whose RA has taken a turn for the worse and she seems to be developing something like Meniere’s disease, and is going deaf.  She is a piano teacher, so things are getting really difficult for her.

Oh my Ann - so sorry to hear this 😔. Poor Patricia 😞 So sad and even sadder to be one who loves music as she does and lose your hearing.  What a shame 😢. My prayers are winging their way for her 🙏 

31 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

When I got home, I got the sad news that Patricia has passed.  I'm sure it didn't take long once they removed her life support.  Again, thank you all for your prayers the past few days.  I can't even imagine what her close family members are feeling right now, especially her young daughters.  In his announcement her Dad referred to her as his hero, his angel.  I admired her so much, she will be missed.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this 😢 I know it is not unexpected but it is still heartbreaking for all who loved her 😔. I hope her passing was peaceful and my prayers for her, her family and you and all who loved her.  🙏 She does sound like a hero - so brave to have endured all she did.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon from sunny and breezy central Texas.  It is currently 40F, up from 32F earlier this morning.  We may reach 56F this afternoon, but beginning about 3 am tomorrow until about 7 pm we are supposed to have rain with the highs about 43-44F.  We need the rain.

It has been a busy morning, mainly getting the chicken I bought yesterday when they had it in stock, packaged to go into the freezer.  My original plan was to make brownies today, but when I saw it was pie day, I switched to making a key lime pie, which just came out of the oven.  Usually, I buy the ready made graham cracker crust, but I have not been able to find the name brand in any store lately.  Our grocery store's house brand is much to thick for our liking.  I found graham cracker crumbs at the store, and made the crust from scratch, but that is not as easy as having one ready made.  😁

Over the last 20 or so years, my handwriting has gotten progressively worse.  It used to be pretty good, but now unless I am really trying, it is not easy to read.  I know my feet have gotten bigger since I've gone up 1/2 a size, but they are still narrow, which makes find shoes that fit challenging.

An interesting quote, but I think it's only true if the people know you have a secret.

The meal sounds good, but tonight will be grilled chicken thighs.  We'll pass on the drink, but would like to try the wine.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope the Coast Guard didn't have to evacuate anyone.  Cute picture with the monkey.

@ottahand7  Nancy, sorry  you didn't get to explore Robinson Crusoe Island yesterday.   Puerto Montt  is in a very pretty area.

@4966and556  Seeing the rabbit in the snow must have been something.  I hope the vet can help the youngest cat.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the vet will at least give you some meds for Fawn.

@StPeteCruiser  The Glenn Miller concert sounds lovely.  Their music is some of my favorite from the Big Band Era.

@smitty34877  🎈 🎇 HAPPY 69TH BIRTHDAY, TERRY!  🎂 🌹

@aliaschief  Bruce, please wish Susan a VERYY HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us.

@Crazy For Cats  Congratulations on booking the cruise on Volendam, and getting the extra OBC.

@durangoscots  Susan, I'm very happy your niece and her family are all right, but I can understand why they are nervous and the kids are a bit fearful.

@Vict0riann  Your morning coffee with your neighbor at the coffee shop sounds like fun.  Good luck with the appointment tomorrow.  I was sorry to read the news about your cousin.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I hope the test results are good.  Our condolences on Patricia's passing.  I hope the good memories and the example she set with all her health challenges are a comfort and inspiration to the family.  My heart goes out to the family, especially to her Dad and her daughters.

Here are a couple of pictures of Uturoa, Raiatea, taken from Tahitian Princess in 2004.  They are similar to Sandi's @StLouisCruisers but from a different angle.

IMG_3941.thumb.JPG.1d207addfab37ea25003856b05c1800a.JPG

IMG_3942.thumb.JPG.0bb6e9b2a88c53dfa8e7f739eb638202.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday. The low was 28F yesterday and today it was 30F. Sleet is expected for the next hour but it just looks dark and cloudy. 

I am going to watch Gone with the Wind on the big screen today. Not sure if I want to sit in a cold movie theater for 4 hours but I’ve been eagerly waiting to see it when I saw the preview back in December. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, I woke up thinking about Patricia and the very hard decision that the family had to make. Prayers for her soul and you and your family. 

@St Pete Cruiser, I lived in a small town in Colorado about 10 miles from where Glenn Miller was born and raised. I would have loved that concert. Thank you for the pictures. 

Have a great day everyone!

The last Movie I watched in full was Pearl harbour on Grand Princess on our Hawaiian cruise.

Pauline was scrolling through cruises last night and saw one she fancied for 2024.

I saw my local TA today and booked it.

£700 OBC 🧸 that will pay for our Speciality restaurants 😃😋.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Before I comment on the earlier posts, I thought I'd repost the pictures of Raiatea from May 29, 2022.

Looking back through my pictures, I found a few from our last cruise that stopped at Raiatea.  The island is not often included in cruises to French Polynesia from US ports.  We have been there when we have taken cruises from Papeete. 

In 2004, we did b2b cruises on Tahitian Princess.  The first included the Cook Islands and the second stopped at a couple of islands east of Tahiti.  Both cruises called at Raiatea.  

On November 29, 2004, the weather in Raiatea was not the best.  We rented a car and drove around the island.  These are a few pictures from our drive.

IMG_3943.thumb.JPG.729094a3d2ed7c43a729e3bd99dc386a.JPG

We stopped at a hotel that had over the water cabins.  Someday, I would like to spend a few days at one.  It would be nice to just walk out of your room and jump in the water to snorkel.

IMG_3944.thumb.JPG.1f433ecc0c8d0b7b334adac40a4bdbf1.JPG

IMG_3946.thumb.JPG.53da0cfd255466d07c3935e60e236a0d.JPG

IMG_3948.thumb.JPG.8d12618f9e034f6cc68eb903b50baaae.JPG

On December 11, 2004, IIRC, we did a snorkeling tour.  These pictures were taken from the boat.

IMG_4048.thumb.JPG.1698770977e37034f393ec8af0168c30.JPG

IMG_4049.thumb.JPG.ad018680fa5b8416438c190d78e17cd6.JPG

IMG_4051.thumb.JPG.8aac00fcefdc4a52fffc3851fd750469.JPG

IMG_4052.thumb.JPG.5da1ec8b88528611b9543027c1ed5706.JPG

Walking around town, we saw quite a few shops decorated for Christmas.  They mainly had aluminum trees, and frankly, they did look a little out of place in that tropical setting.

Lenda

Looks like paradise Lenda.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I was up and out early this morning to have my fasting labs done.  Now the wait for the results.  I'm glad I can see them quickly on "My Chart" through our clinic, so the wait isn't usually very long, ranging from minutes to 12 hours.  

I love almost every kind of pie except for coconut or pecan.  No pie today though, although it does sound really good.  The arthritis in my hands has made my handwriting really bad -- so I rarely write more than a line or two.  My feet also have changed size in the last few years.  I'll pass on the wine and drink, the meal (without the butter) sounds very good.  Not sure if the port today is on the Grand Australia itinerary.

Sharon @Sharon in AZI love Gone With the Wind so much we have it at home.  But it's always more fun to see it on the big screen.  I remember DH and I went to see it in the movies a few years back when it was here.

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news about Patricia.

She sounded like an amazing person.

Sending our prayers 🙏 and condolences to you and all of Patricia's family and friends.

G&P xx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thinking of shoe size reminds me of my parents shoe shopping at Nordstrom's in the 1940s.  At that time, its first Seattle store was just a shoe store.  Our feet were measured (with the shoe on) with a step-in X-ray machine.  Guess they didn't know then that X-rays can be dangerous.  And feet do get larger as we age.  Last month I tried on a pair of jungle boots that I had worn when in Vietnam in 1970.  Size 9W wasn't even close.

Ray

• Like 21

@Cruising-along

1951518_Condolences2.jpg.7050361d4284477ed7c5e11b9ffc17f3.jpg

May Patricia rest in peace and may her family find peace and healing through all their wonderful memories of her.  

Calling all members of the Messy Painters Guild:  How do you minimize the amount of paint that gets on the carpet when you're painting the baseboards?   I mean other than taking them off.  I'd have to replace them all.  Of course, that might not be a bad thing.   

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Cruising-along so sorry to ear about Patricia.  So sad!

@smitty34877 happy birthday Terry

@aliaschief happy birthday to your DW Susan

@Vict0riann sorry to hear you’re still not feeling well.  

Very high surf so will look forward to the arrival of the Koningsdam, the last ship we were one, hope it’s not rocking and rolling too much

C56AE51F-2BE6-4AF8-8090-B9826C5C7E1B.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think I'm kind of  a miss on the days today, haven't measured my feet in years (and some stores do still have the little measuring plates), and pie is great but not diabetic friendly.  The quote is interesting but not convinced it is true.  It appears Zuiderdam is very close to landing (tendering) at today's port, not sure if that's happened before.  I believe Raitea is the island and Uturoa is the little settlement.  I like London Broil but tend to go light on red meat, opting more for poultry.   My alternative is Chilled Banana Soup,  and Oven Roasted Chicken as served on MS Maasdam January 23, 2015.

Today’s care list:

California shooting victims
Kazu in cast until about 2/8
Final days for Cruising-along 2nd cousin Patricia
Grahaam’s Sarah waiting on needed injection but doing better
Scrapnana starting over on treatment
From the rotation:
Ominous scan for Marshhawk
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement
Marshhawk DH eye issues.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome RMLincoln
cruszn single in Hawaii until 1/31
Great sales for Marshhawk
1 day to last treatment for Cruising-Along DH
Seasick Sailor and ger_77 (Rotterdam  to 1/25), Heartgrove (Carnival Legend to 1/29), DeniEncinetas, and sailingdutchty   (Koningsdam  to 1/31),  lindaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and Sarah's mention.

Graham.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I can't like this but  Thank You for letting us know.  I'm not sure but I have a feeling people in Patricia's condition may be aware of the presence of their lived ones around them, at least I hope so.  Patricia will be deeply missed.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1