The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 15th, 2023

Today is National Pet Fire Safety Day, National Respect Canada Day, and National Give Something Away Day

Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.--Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

Meal Suggestion for today - Pumpkin Ravioli
Drink of the Day - Basil Hayden Boulevardier
Wine of the Day - Stonecroft Syrah Hawkes Bay Gimblett Gravels Undressed 2021
Destination of the Day - La Coruna, Spain Galicia

Today in History:
1799 The Rosetta Stone is found in the Egyptian village of Rosetta by French Captain Pierre-Francois Bouchard during Napoleon's Egyptian Campaign

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 16 Jul

Nieuw Statendam

Flam, Norway 0900-1800

Noordam

At Sea destination Whittier, Alaska eta 16 Jul

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy depart 1700

Rotterdam

Amsterdam, Holland, The Netherlands 0700-1700

Volendam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Westerdam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Zaandam

Montreal, Quebec 0700-1700

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Corner Brook, Newfoundland eta 17 Jul

image.thumb.png.8fd63d37fdb54ae330ad7d9a9cba0f63.png

image.thumb.png.ad01061ed3ba43fc7e16f55cc1e56961.png

Sandi for Rich

Edited by StLouisCruisers
omission
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Good morning friends!  It is a warm and muggy 72F with a high today of 91 expected.  Partly cloudy this morning followed by scattered thunderstorms this afternoon.  We had a nice day yesterday (hot) then around 8:30 last night rain started up very quickly and that went on a while.  You never know what to expect in the summer here.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn for compiling the material each day for the Daily and Fleet Report.  He is taking a break for a few days and I will fill in for him.  Quite a grouping of days for us this morning.  National Pet Fire Safety is very important to observe so that pet owners can learn how to keep their pets safe in case of fire.  I hope that never happens to anyone, especially our Daily family.  Respect Canada Day should be a given to all of us. We treasure our friends from Canada!  And I know many of us have been thinking about or doing something about Give Something Away Day.  

The quote is rather cheeky.  The Day in History was unknown by me.  Seems like I've heard Pumpkin Ravioli here before but I could be wrong.  Debbie @dfish will explain.  I would say no to the drink AND to the wine.  But thank you Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for bringing us information about them. 

Prayers will be said shortly for the Care list.  I hope Chuck @catmando is able to spend plenty of time with Momma Norma and that the luggage came through shortly after his arrival.  Also hoping for a complete recovery for Baby Murphy.🙏🙏  Cheers to those cruising or with happy events in their lives.🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for presenting the Care and Celebration lists for us today and for all your work keeping them updated.😉 

Today's port is also a new one as was yesterday's.  La Coruna, Spain (Galicia) sounds divine and I haven't been there before. So no photos from me and no link to a former post from Rich.  Didn't the World Cruise miss that port last spring?  I hope some of you have photos to present for our enjoyment! Thanks in advance!

Hope all here have a wonderful Saturday!  Tomorrow I will try to be more awake when I post.  At least I will get an early start on the treadmill.🚶‍♀️

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. 

Our friends aboard Nieuw Statendam, which I prefer to call the Stat, report enjoying Bernard Walz, who was recently the concert pianist in the World Stage. Also Rudy Solumin was on and did several cooking demonstrations as well.

Bernie is a very talented pianist from Sydney, Australia. He has performed on Holland America for years as well as Crystal and Cunard. Any of our ancient Mariners besides myself remember him? 

Enjoy your Saturday!

20230704_151638.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care list:

The passing of JazzyV’s friend Ruth on 7/11 

The passing of Luvteaching’s friend on 7/12

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, with complications

Catmando visiting his DM Norma, and family situation

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Ill Dailyite pets - Kazu’s Ivan, Heartgrove’s Sam, Crazy For Cats’ Jasper

All affected by wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering from surgery

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baby Murphy off ECMO

Ger_77’s large donation of handmade blankets for children, puppies, and kittens

Seasick Sailor’s new fur baby Olliver coming home on Monday

NextOne’s good news about the pathology report

Kazu’s Ivan showing some improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta July 21 to Aug 1)

7 days for Crazy For Cats (Zaandam July 22 to July 29)

7 days for Dfish (Zaandam July 22 to 29, July 29 to August 23) celebrating her Sister’s retirement and Dfish’s birthday

7 days for NextOne (Zuiderdam July 22 to August 25)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 17

Good Morning, @StLouisCruisers thank you for filling in today and providing today’s daily fleet report.  Today promises to be another hot and humid day.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion, instead I think we will go out for dinner.  This weekend’s task is the clean the house before the pet sitter starts taking care of the kids.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.856bcbeac1b9fea8f386c16365bba030.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 18

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Thank you Sandi for filling in for Rich.

We've got another rainy day in the forecast so I'll stay in but I'm not sure what I'll get up to.  I did some weeding in the garden yesterday.

A great collection of days.  Thanks to everyone who respects Canada, I love it.  Pet Safety is very important.  I have some things to give away.

Interesting quote, but I'm not sure I agree with it. 

The meal sounds like a tasty autumn dish.  The drink and wine sound tasty.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

• Like 26

Good Afternoon from Karlskrona, Sweden where we are taking a break from going ashore.

Short day as all aboard is 1:30pm and we will be on our way to Stockholm.

Thank you to @StLouisCruisers Sandi for filling in for Rich for a few days.

Prayers for all on the Cares List and thank you to Vanessa for your dedication to keeping it up to date.  

Thank you in advance to Debbie, Dixie and Ann for keeping us fed and hydrated.

My internet situation seems to be “fixed” as best it can be.  I have a new login name, which I will not post here so that the hacker will not be able to access my account.  The Guru was not able to determine the identity of the offender, who will probably now try to hack into someone else’s account.  My theory is that it is one of the many young people on this cruise that cannot part with their cell phones.  They are seen all over the ship with their phones.  Since only one login is permitted per stateroom at a time, and if you require more, it is $30 per day for each additional account, I imagine Mommy and Daddy do not want to fork up that kind of money.  Therefore the young ones are left to their own devices—in this case a Samsung.

We have a considerable amount of shipboard credit and have been mulling about what to do with it.  It is non-refundable so it is use it or lose it.  I saw a very nice diamond necklace in the boutique and if DH does not fancy to buy anything for himself, I may decide to buy the necklace.  It would just use up all the non-refundable OBC.  I did not expect the OBC from the first twenty days to be carried over to this cruise, but it was.  There are no tours that interest us, so we have to do something with this “ funny money”  DH doesn’t care what I do with it.  Everybody should have such problems!

Prayers for all.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

It is Sunshine and showers here this morning.

3 good days today.

We have been to La Coruna. several times the last time was on September 8th 2022 when we were on Anthem of the seas.

Prayers 🙏 for the safety of all on our care list.

I hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 28

30 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We have a considerable amount of shipboard credit and have been mulling about what to do with it.  It is non-refundable so it is use it or lose it.  I saw a very nice diamond necklace in the boutique and if DH does not fancy to buy anything for himself, I may decide to buy the necklace.  It would just use up all the non-refundable OBC.  I did not expect the OBC from the first twenty days to be carried over to this cruise, but it was.  There are no tours that interest us, so we have to do something with this “ funny money”  DH doesn’t care what I do with it.  Everybody should have such problems!

Buy it! 🙂 

• Like 27
  • Haha 2

Basil Hayden Boulevardier cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Basil Hayden® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

3/4 part Aperol® Aperitif

3/4 part Dolin® Rouge Sweet Vermouth

Orange peel
Method
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice. 2. Stir until cold. 3. Strain liquid into glass and serve up or with a large ice cube. 4. Garnish with an orange peel.

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 7.20.57 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Good morning! Thank you Sandi for filling in for Rich. We were just in La Coruna but we visited Santiago over an hour away. Drink of the day I’ve had on Hal, where they add smoke to the drink for flavoring. Quite the show if you haven’t seen the bartender concoct one.

We really got deluged with heavy rains yesterday. Some areas received over a foot of rain! We have a good chance of receiving more today.

We enjoyed a “treat” meal yesterday where we grilled 4 small lamb chops, split a sweet potato and crunchy cabbage salad. No wine!☹️

I believe it’s this coming week that life will perk up around here when the seven and three year old granddaughters arrive. The seven year old will stay an extra week. That may require a bottle of wine or two!

Thanks for the post and may all of you have a great weekend.

Bruce

image.jpeg.d7c29dd23e3733f6bb17b5322fe969aa.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.554bd36276bdb02e541a71b74b56d435.jpegimage.jpeg.e8eeff7a29097f3821daf0c13064f756.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fa2fcb0d076c8fac2aea95e43515e14e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.03112d6d5193a61cc35bd4d362db58df.jpegimage.jpeg.6b78ad59002a0cb1245c5e34c2016311.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.05f2224ea858e0e99bee27a263f902a0.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 15
  • Haha 20

Thanks for our Saturday daily, Sandi. and thanks for filling in for Rich.

Great collection of days - all worthy of celebrating.  I’m not sure about today’s quote nor the meal.  Love La Coruna aka A Coruna.  Nice in its own right and so close to Santiago de Compostela.  

@Cruzin Terri  buy that necklace 🙂 

Making my first batch of jam yesterday and had my Ipad open to the recipe and Jose’s on a movie to listen to while I worked and charging.

All of a sudden my Ipad started turning the page of my recipe. After several corrections, I closed my page and re-input it to bring it back up.  Keyboard wasn’t working!  Then I saw Jose’s Ipad was not charging 😬. My keyboard is dead and my Ipad is fighting for it’s life.

Jose’s will only charge if it is shut down and the battery doesn’t last at all -  so I think its life is short too.  WTH?  Good thing I splurged on Amazon Prime day and bought a newer generation Ipad.  Both of these are not young by any means.  So, what I thought was a want on Prime day is now a Need.

IMG_3963.thumb.jpeg.67fb8b3f29169ae2f7fa4dbe205aa19c.jpeg

My posts will be brief mostly as I hate one finger typing.

Raining here so hopefully I can get another batch or two of jam done - then, I probably need more supplies.  LOL.  Or stop.  I’ll figure it out.

IMG_3967.jpeg.d94adeecb49d972208f3796ddc14a342.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering health challenges and losses & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

IMG_3962.jpeg.4dedc64d6729a62e9619b6b8925d17c2.jpeg

Have a good Saturday everyone.

• Like 30
  • Haha 9

Good morning everyone!  Sandi thanks for taking over for Rich so he can take a break.   I have had first hand experience with pet fire safety.  My house in MD was being remodeled with new finishes in the basement.  The contractor's helper was staining in the basement and rather than doing it outdoors he asked if the fumes would bother me.  I said OK to do it.  Well, instead of taking the MinWax rags outside he hung them over a cardboard box with other refuse in it.   They self ignited and the alarms went off after I had gone to bed.    I ran down to see what was causing the alarms to go off and opened the basement stairs door and could see the light of flames reflecting on the wall.  I grabbed a fire extinguisher and got most of it out but wisely decided not to go into the back basement to get another.  Upstairs my phone was ringing from the alarm company asking if I needed the fire department and I said yes.    Next was to locate my cats and secure them.   I found my Maine Coon right away and I shut her in the closet.   I found my Korat, Tiny, and locked her in the closet too.  When the fire department came I let them know not to open that door.  They were 2 stories above.    They got the fire out quickly and we were all able to go to sleep for good that night.  I always Respect Canada our neighbor to the north.   I can't give anything away today unless I give it to John.  A kooky quote.  Pass on the high carb ravioli and the cocktail.  I hope @cat shepard can find this strange sounding wine for us.   I have been to A Coruna in September 2018 on the Konigsdam.   It was a pretty small city easy for exploring. I only have one selfie from our walkabout but we found a childhood home of Pablo Picasso.  The weather was beautiful.  We found a highly rated seafood restaurant but they were closed so we hoofed it back to the ship.   I remember the big cobblestones to walk over from the ship to the city.   

Prayers for all on our care list and the people of Ukraine.  Glad baby Bailey is off ECMO and hopefully isn't showing too many after effects from her stroke.  

We have smoke alerts from the Alberta fires and I could smell it this morning.    I am going to garden and run the sprinklers today.  Yesterday we fished and were skunked.   My Monarch butterfly larva on the Milkweed disappeared as they did last year.  Some type of bird can tolerate their toxicity.   I can't raise them indoors as many people do.   Have a nice Saturday.  Nancy 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Rich, I hope you're enjoying your few days off.   I like all the days but my favorite is Respect Canada Day.  How do you know if someone has a book anymore with the popularity of E-readers.  The Rosetta Stone was a MAJOR breakthrough.  I have never been to La Coruna.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Rack of Lamb and Carrot Cake as served on VIA'S Canadian July 15, 2018, between Edmonton and Jasper on the way to meet the Volendam in Vancouver.

dishes15.jpg

It will be a busy afternoon.  I discovered that my favorite (but older) laptop has a DEAD battery and I can't mail order a replacement (it's still a snap in battery).  I will try a big electronics store that looks promising but it's in Rockville, at least a 40-minute drive.

Roy

• Like 36

10 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Thank you Sandi for filling in for Rich. We were just in La Coruna but we visited Santiago over an hour away. Drink of the day I’ve had on Hal, where they add smoke to the drink for flavoring. Quite the show if you haven’t seen the bartender concoct one.

We really got deluged with heavy rains yesterday. Some areas received over a foot of rain! We have a good chance of receiving more today.

We enjoyed a “treat” meal yesterday where we grilled 4 small lamb chops, split a sweet potato and crunchy cabbage salad. No wine!☹️

I believe it’s this coming week that life will perk up around here when the seven and three year old granddaughters arrive. The seven year old will stay an extra week. That may require a bottle of wine or two!

Thanks for the post and may all of you have a great weekend.

Bruce

image.jpeg.d7c29dd23e3733f6bb17b5322fe969aa.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.554bd36276bdb02e541a71b74b56d435.jpegimage.jpeg.e8eeff7a29097f3821daf0c13064f756.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fa2fcb0d076c8fac2aea95e43515e14e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.03112d6d5193a61cc35bd4d362db58df.jpegimage.jpeg.6b78ad59002a0cb1245c5e34c2016311.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.05f2224ea858e0e99bee27a263f902a0.jpeg

Mr. Chief, watch out for the large red pickup truck.  Me and the Misses are headed for the Redneck Riviera tomorrow and will be there all week. Sorry about the rain. Been watching it and appears next week will be dry.

• Like 19

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for starting the Fleet Report and Daily for Rich @richwmn today.  I thought we'd had the port of the day before and found it was the port twice, but under A Coruna.  Here are the links to Friday, July 16, 2021 and Friday, September 2, 2022.  I hope you don't mind my posting these links.

Now, I finish reading the Daily.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s R & D, Sandi for Rich! A perfect morning for a long Bindi walk. She is now peacefully snoring away. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Vanessa! Zumba, Bindi walks, meal prep, pool time 🤞🏻, and then dinner with my traveling Sister. 

IMG_1500.jpeg.64288733ad1306263567ec8c2566f6d9.jpeg

IMG_1497.jpeg.34f8c4dae9e2f950ead9d0d05af79c34.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Stonecroft Syrah Hawkes Bay Gimblett Gravels Undressed 2021

Love the name of this New Zealand wine.  I found one online distributor - but of course they only ship to New Zealand. So if you are cruising to New Zealand, I hope you are making a list of wines to try. And I hope @erewhon is able t9 find and enjoy some of these amazing sounding wines! The online distributor’s price is a reasonable $20.45.

Cameron Douglas’ review

Fantastic colour and bouquet with aromas of violets and baked raspberries, there’s a core mineral quality with baked stones and a dried clay quality. There’s also a sweet fresh meaty quality along with a plum and dark chocolate layer. Lovely texture andintensity as the wine touches the palate. Flavours and texture s of tannin and acidity flowe through the palate seemlessly. Fresh, youthful, mineral and fruity with spices, some intense lees quality and a some mild toasty wood qualities. Youthful and needing some more cellar time, but a delicious wine today as well. Best drinking from 2023 through 2030.

94 Points - Excellent

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 4

Good morning, 

We had quite the storm last night. It ripped the front storm door open and broke the little thingy on the bottom that hooks to the pneumatic closer. There are power outages around me but I was spared. The humidity is thick this morning making all the windows sweat. DGS is still asleep, he is not a fan of storms. He was woke up for a tornado warning last year and is hyper vigilant whenever it looks suspicious. 

The news I received on Murphy last night is that they are planning to pull the chest tubes today and put in a feeding tube. Slow progress. 

@Cruzin Terri buy the necklace if you like it. I am sure your husband would love you to have it. He appreciates all the hard work you have done with the house and how wonderfully you have taken care of him. 

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It will be a busy afternoon.  I discovered that my favorite (but older) laptop has a DEAD battery and I can't mail order a replacement (it's still a snap in battery).  I will try a big electronics store that looks promising but it's in Rockville, at least a 40-minute drive.

Roy

Sorry to hear that, Roy.  😔. Good luck with your search 🤞 

Sounds like we have both been bitten by the electronic gremlin 😔 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Sandi for getting us started. It’ll be another hot day here in MD. It was hot yesterday for my lunch gathering with the  ladies of my Spiritual Companioning group. We were in the shade on the terrace above the pool. Not many takers for the outdoor pool, too much sun!  I think I haven’t felt the heat like this since I lived in Albuquerque 20+ years ago. We moved to the mountains after retirement for the cooler summers, but even those were getting warmer the last few years. 

@marshhawk Annie, so glad Chuck went to see his mom. Hopefully his luggage has caught up to him, and that he can focus more on his mom and less on the family drama. (All families have their own flavor of drama…) 

@kazu Jacqui I’m impressed with your vets getting Ivan feeling so much better.  

@Cruzin Terri Terri, you’ve had a lot to deal with. Thanks for staying connected with us. Enjoy Stockholm. 

@cruising sister You shared excellent wisdom with baby Murphy’s parents!  And you have a good sounding plan for the spa time with your niece. I’m happy for you!  

We’re mostly staying out of crowds and in the AC as best we can. DH has his pre-surgery physical Monday. Then we’re 2 weeks until eye surgery. So far so good!  

I’ll be finishing up Wimbledon this weekend then back to some sorting through the boxes DGD helped me bring up from the storage room. It’s a start. I have a pile begun of things to give away to family members when I see them next month. I haven’t been to today’s port, not interested in pumpkin ravioli. The drink sounds like a Manhattan which I like!  I usually have a book with me, always when traveling. 

Blessings to all especially our Cares List, thank you @JazzyV  Vanessa!  Smooth travels to all away. May everyone stay safe and well. 
Maureen 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Mr. Chief, watch out for the large red pickup truck.  Me and the Misses are headed for the Redneck Riviera tomorrow and will be there all week. Sorry about the rain. Been watching it and appears next week will be dry.

We’ll be practicing our hurricane evacuation routes!😎

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

It will be a hot one today. My plan is to reorganize my home office and stay cool. 

I respect Canada to the point I have been researching how to transfer my counseling license to Canada in case I decide to move there one day. It's a complicated process. 

The pumpkin ravioli I would try. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 25