Do You Keep Wedding Ring/Diamond on Board???

elaineb

After seeing the recent troubles in Antigua, I am wondering if I should leave my wedding band and diamond on board.  We are visiting Antigua, St. Croix and St. Kitts.  Any thoughts?  And are they safe in the safe???  Thanks!

a

6 minutes ago, elaineb said:

After seeing the recent troubles in Antigua, I am wondering if I should leave my wedding band and diamond on board.  We are visiting Antigua, St. Croix and St. Kitts.  Any thoughts?  And are they safe in the safe???  Thanks!

As long as you lock the safe. Like anywhere you are visiting always know your surroundings and take precaution you are comfortable with.

Edited by davekathy

I also will not wear expensive or keepsake jewelry when in any port.   I don't even take my diamond wedding ring while traveling.  It stays home in a safe.  Too many things can happen that don't all have to do with crime.  

Not everyone would take these precautions but that's what I would do.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

With the loss of the on board dress up nites, most of the bling stays home.   Wearing anything of value off ship  is bad.    This includes pocket books, smart phones, hi end clothes and shoes.  Best is non designer t shirts, jeans and simple shoes.  

I don't take anything of value onboard since I had my Chanel sunglasses stolen from my chair. I went for a swim and left them in a drawstring pouch. Upon returning they were gone but my book was still there. I suspect I was noticed wearing them prior to my swim as a lady speaking to earlier kept looking at them. Learned my lesson.

My rings and good watch go with me on the cruise, but not in ports.  I keep them in a zippered compartment in my wallet placed in the safe, so that I don't lose them in the safe.  Frankly, I have heard far more stories of people losing/forgetting jewelry in the safe than I have heard about losing them to crime. (The cruiser leaves the jewels behind in the safe when they disembark, not that anyone takes them from the safe.)

Edited by JFontaine

I know I'm in the minority here. I have my lovely wedding ring set to wear and enjoy - and one of the things we enjoy most is travelling together; in the US and abroad, cruising and on land trips. Most of the time I wear them out and about. There have been few times when I have felt it prudent to leave them behind in the safe, and have done so. Some people brag about wearing "fake" jewelry when traveling, and I fail to see how that deters crime, I would gladly turn my belongings  over to a thief, right along with my purse , camera, phone etc. Just curious, how many who leave their jewelry behind use a pickpocket proof purse with anti-slash straps, or employ other means to keep personal belongings safe? 

Edited by sippican

3 hours ago, elaineb said:

I leave my diamond and wedding band (cost just under $10K for both) in my safe deposit box at the bank.  I bring NO real jewelry with me on any vacation. 

59 minutes ago, sippican said:

I know I'm in the minority here. I have my lovely wedding ring set to wear and enjoy - and one of the things we enjoy most is travelling together; in the US and abroad, cruising and on land trips. Most of the time I wear them out and about. There have been few times when I have felt it prudent to leave them behind in the safe, and have done so. Some people brag about wearing "fake" jewelry when traveling, and I fail to see how that deters crime, I would gladly turn my belongings  over to a thief, right along with my purse , camera, phone etc. Just curious, how many who leave their jewelry behind use a pickpocket proof purse with anti-slash straps, or employ other means to keep personal belongings safe? 

I leave my rings at home. I am one who wears a fake 'diamonique' studded wedding band. It's worth about $50, but I leave it in the safe when I leave the ship to not tempt crooks. I wear cargo pants in port, place my money credit card, I.D, sea pass in the thigh pocket, carry a small purse for my cell phone/camera. I figure most thieves would go for the purse, which I would give up without a fight. My husband has a decoy wallet with a few dollars. He keeps his credit card, sea pass in his cargo pocket. I have a waterproof pouch that we use at the beach, it can be fastened crossbody to wear in the water. We don't travel off the beaten path. 

A friend, traveling in Sicily witnessed a fellow traveler being taken down by a thief on a bicycle. She had one of those purses with the slash proof straps and ended up with a broken arm. I'd rather lose my purse than break an arm or worse.

Leave good jewelry home.  I never bring my diamond wedding band or other expensive jewelry.  I bring “travel jewelry”.  Costume items that do not look expensive.  I wear it on cruises.  On land trips, I wear minimal jewelry.  Love my timex watch with cloth band. It lights up. It doubles as a night light. Nobody would mug me for it. It cost less than $50.  

• Like 1

We take absolutely nothing of value when travelling.  I wear my wedding band which matches my DW's and a signet  ring.  DW wears her band and uni grad ring.  Some plain gold necklaces and that is it.  Our carryon is a backpack which holds the must haves.. A "go bag" of sorts...camera, meds etc.  Nothing we take is irreplaceable and sentimental.

A few years back, while on a cruise I was wearing my watch, presented at retirement, and one of the shop employees on board commented "I guess you don't need a new watch" that was the end of it, as you never know who is watching, and taking notes. 

Have significant family hand me downs all of which are safely locked up at home. 

Don't need the additional worry when travelling.

Edited by ScubesDad

I leave my engagement ring at home, but usually wear my band. We recently cruised SA and read lots of advice to leave all jewelry at home due to problems in Buenos Aires so I heeded that advice and left all rings at home. At first it felt funny each time I went to twirl my ring; I guess didn't realize how often I did that. This made me look around to see what others were or weren't wearing on their hands and I discovered that lots of couples were ringless. 

A couple of years ago were traveling to Brazil and going to Carnival in Rio.  I thought it best to leave my wedding ring at home.  DH agreed and decided to get me a wedding band for travel.

He headed to a local pawn shop and found a band that fits perfectly, sparing  no expense he paid $10 including the ring box

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Common sense would say don’t wear any expensive jewellery or watches in poor countries anywhere in the world. We always leave ours in the hotel or ship safe and have never had an issue. One time in Thailand we forgot to lock the safe. On our return there was a note from management asking us to contact them for the new code. When we did everything was in the safe as we had left it! 

3 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Common sense would say don’t wear any expensive jewellery or watches in poor countries anywhere in the world. We always leave ours in the hotel or ship safe and have never had an issue. One time in Thailand we forgot to lock the safe. On our return there was a note from management asking us to contact them for the new code. When we did everything was in the safe as we had left it! 

I wouldn't say it was limited to poor countries either. I wear my wedding ring and engagement ring (it doesn't have any large jewels) and my mother's wedding ring but don't wear any other jewellery when I travel in Italy. Am sure that most big cities are the same.