Would you cruise in August

jp2746

I don't know about Alaska right now, but I live in Miami-Dade County where I can easily drive to the Port of Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral and Port of Tampa.  I would only consider short cruises out of these ports if and when cruising restarts.  Too many things can go wrong trying to coordinate, plane, hotel and transportation to port in this present environment.  August seems to be too soon for things to get back to normal IMHO. 

All the hotels here are closed except for certain ones that only accommodate essential lodgers such as families of patients and first responders.  Ports, tourist attractions and restaurants (take-out only) are closed so no pre-boarding activities.  Many of these businesses will never open again since they will become casualties of the present economic situation.  I hate to sound pessimistic but we have to consider the reality of what all has to come together in order to experience a pleasant or near-pleasant cruise. 

• Like 2

I am canceling my November Transatlantic on the Explorer, With the possibility of the return of the virus in the Fall I will not take the chance of illness or sailing around looking for a port to land it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Just read RCL now has trademarked the name Seaface purportedly for sanitary masks.  Would you go on a cruise if one  requirement was to wear a mask?

How do I drink my cocktail in the lounge??  😉 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Just read RCL now has trademarked the name Seaface purportedly for sanitary masks.  Would you go on a cruise if one  requirement was to wear a mask?

No. While it may be entirely appropriate, it changes the experience too much for me. 

mac_tlc

• Like 4

2 hours ago, island lady said:

How do I drink my cocktail in the lounge??  😉 

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

No. While it may be entirely appropriate, it changes the experience too much for me. 

mac_tlc

That would probably be the deal breaker for me

• Like 2

4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

What if they handed you a Seaface mask when boarding and dictated when the mask had to be worn?

They are up to something we just don't know what.

I would hope that wouldn't happen. I've read several things that could be different because of the virus and I'm fine with that.  The US is starting to open back up and I'm ready to go somewhere! My cruise is out of San Juan to the Caribbean.  As is my November cruise. I can't wait! 

On 4/17/2020 at 2:30 PM, jp2746 said:

If cruises reopened in August would you cruise or cancel?  

In a heartbeat.  Have 2 booked the end of June and hoping to go!  I believe in being positive and hoping for the best.  Until Royal cancels us, I plan to cruise!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tahina cruising said:

I would hope that wouldn't happen. I've read several things that could be different because of the virus and I'm fine with that.  The US is starting to open back up and I'm ready to go somewhere! My cruise is out of San Juan to the Caribbean.  As is my November cruise. I can't wait! 

Totally with you.  Just get me on a cruise ship and let me go!

• Like 2

Wearing a mask at all times out of your cabin?  Nope.  I wear one for 13 hours a day now at work.  At times you forget you have it on....but it’s also harder to breath, my face under the mask is rough and broken out and you do have to take it down to drink or eat.  And regardless they don’t stay put that well so I’m always washing my hands, adjusting my mask, washing my hands.  Try drinking a cup of coffee in a hurry to get that mask back up.  It’s absolutely not practical and especially if you’re not used to it, not enjoyable.  The only good thing is I wear less make up, no use for blush or lipstick.  And I often wear a scrub cap too which saves time doing my hair.  ( Watch out when we take those caps off though.  We call it “hat hair”)!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

What if they handed you a Seaface mask when boarding and dictated when the mask had to be worn?

They are up to something we just don't know what.

Handed? Come on... this is the cruise biz. They are going to sell those puppies. Especially as people will need at least one per day. Good morning cruisers. Down in the med center they are offering today's Seaface-of-the-day on 2-1 special. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Don't see Aug in our future yet.  Once new parameters are out there it will make decisions easier.  Cruising is a personal and sharing experience.  We are by nature in groups when on a ship and I do not know how that will change without affecting the cruise experience.  Looking forward to seeing new "guidelines" that will be out before cruising starts again.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:59 PM, parrotfeathers said:

I don't even like wearing a mask to go food shopping once a week. My eye glasses fog up. I can't even imagine wearing one on a hot Caribbean cruise. I'm not about to wear latex gloves either (if they were even available).  I will wait for the reports to come back with details of the on board experience. Thinking about that scares me more than the virus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, karena1 said:

In a heartbeat.  Have 2 booked the end of June and hoping to go!  I believe in being positive and hoping for the best.  Until Royal cancels us, I plan to cruise!

Good grief, hope and positivity are great, but get real the chance of cruising in June is absolute zero.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Good grief, hope and positivity are great, but get real the chance of cruising in June is absolute zero.

Apparently she has several $18 drink packages to look forward to.🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We will not be cruising in Sept. Our cruise will be in Canada for a week. We don't know if the borders  or  ports will be  open or if 

the tour companies are a go. Then to Bar Harbor..NP is closed . will they be open by then??  Maybe... On to Boston , not good.  A few days later we disembark in NY. Don't want to be there in the next year or two. We have a month before final payment..  can't take the chance RCL will not sail.  So NO we will not sail this year..      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't even like wearing a mask to go food shopping once a week. My eye glasses fog up. I can't even imagine wearing one on a hot Caribbean cruise. I'm not about to wear latex gloves either (if they were even available).  I will wait for the reports to come back with details of the on board experience. Thinking about that scares me more than the virus.

I don't either! It is just miserable to wear it, my nose itches. Today was warm so I was perspiring under it. One way aisles in the store. The grocery store had no bags, had to use small used store boxes for our purchases, because reusable home bags are no longer allowed. Grocery shopping once a week is like this unpleasant expedition now. 

I certainly would NOT go on a cruise and have to wear a mask. I would rather stay home where I don't have to wear one. 

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

I don't either! It is just miserable to wear it, my nose itches. Today was warm so I was perspiring under it. One way aisles in the store. The grocery store had no bags, had to use small used store boxes for our purchases, because reusable home bags are no longer allowed. Grocery shopping once a week is like this unpleasant expedition now. 

I certainly would NOT go on a cruise and have to wear a mask. I would rather stay home where I don't have to wear one. 

I went to BJ's and 3 other supermarkets in order to complete my shopping list.  I finally scored a gallon of Bleach.  It's been on the shopping list for a month.  If the hospitals are fighting to get masks and general public can't get disinfectants how are the cruise lines getting these things. There will have to be too many rules in place and like you said the one way aisles in the supermarkets are bad enough. Can you imagine this on a cruise ship? It won't be an enjoyable experience even if it was a free trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No way do I want to be on the first cruise when it gets started again, gonna be worse than the first cruise after a long dry dock.  Not gonna be one of the ones the cruise lines try to figure out how to provide service and a fun cruise.  Willing to read after action reports before even thinking about booking.

• Like 1

We cancelled our august cruise out of cape liberty to the caribbean and rebooked for august next year out of orlando . I just saw too many unknowns and I just didnt think I or anyone else would be able to enjoy it fully . We would also have to fly from Dublin to New York and had planned a 3 day stay there prior to the cruise. Since final payment for everything was coming up within the next month I just took the decision to write off any more holidays this year. We have a june cruise next year to Iceland and Norway- I am comfortable with that - things should have settled by then to a point where we all know what we have to do to maintain a relatively normal existence.