New vaccine

hollyjess

This is how reactions to vaccines in my family have been.

My wife and I had AZ both of us felt tired, sore arm, headache and aching limbs

My sisters one had AZ same side effects as use, the other had Pfizer, just tired and a headache

Both my brother in-laws had Pfizer, both slept for 12-14 hours, one with headache.

My brother had Pfizer slept for 12 hours, said it felt like he had a hangover after a night on the tiles

My in-laws both had no effect from 1st Pfizer jab, but second knocked them out

Two other family members have had AZ, both reported same side effects as we did.

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I saw some stats on the news yesterday and, as we expected, a much higher proportion of people reported side effects from the Oxford AZ vaccine than the Phizer one. I can’t remember the exact figures but they are probably heavily understated anyway as I should imagine that only a small proportion of people actually report them. 

I wonder what the actual figure would be for the lucky ones with no side effects .

We are only onto our first jabs , the Mrs had the  Phizer one and I had the AZ one

with no side effects. We both had a tender arm if you tried to sleep on it first night

but you can get that with a lot of jabs to be fair. We still have the second jab to go yet 

and hopefully no effects with those when we get them . Lets hope those who have had

the first jab and suffered get a lesser reaction with the 2nd one. From what we are told

by some who have had actual covid , the side effects are nothing compared to the actual

virus but the jab should save us from such a fate .  Stay safe everyone .:classic_smile: 

18 minutes ago, kalos said:

I wonder what the actual figure would be for the lucky ones with no side effects .

We are only onto our first jabs , the Mrs had the  Phizer one and I had the AZ one

with no side effects. We both had a tender arm if you tried to sleep on it first night

but you can get that with a lot of jabs to be fair. We still have the second jab to go yet 

and hopefully no effects with those when we get them . Lets hope those who have had

the first jab and suffered get a lesser reaction with the 2nd one. From what we are told

by some who have had actual covid , the side effects are nothing compared to the actual

virus but the jab should save us from such a fate .  Stay safe everyone .:classic_smile: 

Exactly the same for us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Exactly the same for us. 

Apart from my mum (94) who felt a bit tired the day after her Pfizer jab, and my wife who had a tender injection spot for 24 hours,  no one else I know of ( only a small sample admittedly of 15 or so people) had any reactions at all. It does seem strange how some people get quite an adverse reaction, whereas others get away "Scot free". 

My hubby son and myself all had AZ  vaccine 2 weeks ago after reading about side effects were waiting to feel unwell all 3 of us had no side effects except a sore arm

my other son had AZ  he did feel bit unwell slight flu symptom in the evening woke up fine

My brother had AZ  he was unwell for about 18 hours he did have  a bad ear infection and was on strong antibiotics, he thinks that may of caused the reaction .

My mum hadAZ  no side effects

To be clear, I wasn’t talking about serious reactions and everyone would rather feel rough for a day or two than get covid. That goes without saying (or, at least I thought it did 😉). It was just interesting that the percentage of people reporting adverse reactions was greater with the AZ Oxford vaccine than the Phizer one, which chimes with the anecdotal feedback on this thread over the past few months. 

Both Frank and I had the AZ vaccine at the same time, and had no side effects until two days later, when we were headachey and tired. We took two paracetamol, had an early night, and were as right as rain the following morning. I'll cope with feeling grotty for a week if the reward is to be 90% safer from Covid. A small price to pay.

Avril

• Like 3

Daughter finally managed to ‘persuade’ her GP practice to include her in the Group 6 vaccine priority list after a couple of weeks trying.

Appalling practice. Practice Manager admits she hasn’t even read the government Green Book vaccine guidelines, and they’re using their own rules instead - no recent hospitalisation, no vaccine for asthmatics, despite the clear government guidelines.

Only a request for an appointment to see a GP and the practice manager to discuss the issue did the trick.  It shouldn’t be like this.

• Like 2

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Daughter finally managed to ‘persuade’ her GP practice to include her in the Group 6 vaccine priority list after a couple of weeks trying.

Appalling practice. Practice Manager admits she hasn’t even read the government Green Book vaccine guidelines, and they’re using their own rules instead - no recent hospitalisation, no vaccine for asthmatics, despite the clear government guidelines.

Only a request for an appointment to see a GP and the practice manager to discuss the issue did the trick.  It shouldn’t be like this.

Very pleased to hear your daughter is getting (or has had) her vaccination.

But that is a disgraceful admission by the Practice Manager. I would be inclined to inform your MP if they are any good. Ours here has been very much on the case for his constituents.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

There are bad/poor/misshapen apples in every barrel Harry, however hard we try you can never avoid the vagaries of human nature.

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

Very pleased to hear your daughter is getting (or has had) her vaccination.

But that is a disgraceful admission by the Practice Manager. I would be inclined to inform your MP if they are any good. Ours here has been very much on the case for his constituents.

Thanks - she’s being innoculated today, at long last. Quite a relief, because she is at increased risk as a result of the various supermarket and other runs she does for elderly neighbours and relatives where she lives.

The MP was the next stage, but understandably she’s loathe to bring him in now it’s been resolved. Crazy situation really, because it’s involved several phone calls, a lot of wasted time, and an unfair allegation of queue jumping from a practice nurse. All this because they refuse to follow crystal clear government guidelines which they admit they haven’t even read! The Asthma Society are reporting the same thing happening across the country.

Our GPs here are fantastic. A really good Practice Manager (the key to success), dedicated and happy staff who love working there, and extremely proactive GPs who are absolutely on the ball. And an ‘Outstanding CQC’ rating as a result. We’re very lucky indeed. I contacted them recently to correct a dosage error on a letter sent to them by a hospital consultant, but they’d already spotted it and corrected it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

To be clear, I wasn’t talking about serious reactions and everyone would rather feel rough for a day or two than get covid. That goes without saying (or, at least I thought it did 😉). It was just interesting that the percentage of people reporting adverse reactions was greater with the AZ Oxford vaccine than the Phizer one, which chimes with the anecdotal feedback on this thread over the past few months. 

We have all had the Pfizer vaccine with little reaction other than being extremely tired and achy arms. 

Our Beth had her second vaccination yesterday (NHS) and, being from the snowflake generation (20) she is now paralysed down one side... ❄️😊

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Better news from Italy even though they are going into a lockdown.Jabs yesterday 194000,double the doses from last week.Until Europe opens up we're gonna get dizzy sailing around the UK.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had the AZ 11 days ago. The day after I dozed for a little bit and didn't really pick up until around 3.p.m. However for most days since then I have had a shaky feeling like when you are needing food. I'm not diabetic but do sometimes get this, but it usually goes on eating. 

On 3/13/2021 at 12:06 AM, wowzz said:

Probably right. I recall a figure of 30 serious adverse reactions per one million vaccinations. Of course, everyone's definition of serious varies.

I had my AZ vaccine with no issues. Unfortunately anyone who gets the slightest reaction tends to write about it - fortunately it seems that the majority are happy to take the slight risk of staying in bed for 24 hours and watching "Homes Under the Hammer". 

The alternative is a lot worse that some minor side effects. DW, nor me had any, but homes under the hammer is something I very much try and avoid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our experience Myself, husband and MIL got AZ other than usual sore arm nothing else. My mum and 3 aunts got Pfizer and had no side effects either.  However, my daughter & future Son in Law both T1 diabetic got AZ and became quite ill (doc had to be called for my daughter & and it must have been bad as getting her to ever admit defeat to anything takes some doing).  However, to them it indicated how they would have faired if they got the real thing and emphasised why they need to continue to shield until 2nd vaccine. They have also heard from 2 friends also type 1 diabetic  who suffered quite bad reactions.  So I think being diabetic plays a part (daughter also has kidney issues ) also other preexisting condition may impact too.  

For me I have the opposite worry I would have like the vax to have done something as I have no Lymphocytes so a very high chance it won't work for me at all

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

The alternative is a lot worse that some minor side effects. DW, nor me had any, but homes under the hammer is something I very much try and avoid.

Drumroll - I’m having my first jab at the hub in Wednesday. No idea why I’m down for it before my husband - he’s rather miffed as he’s 3 years older! And I’ll definitely be avoiding Homes under the Hammer and all daytime programmes if I feel too unwell to work. Daytime TV is a slippery slope. We don’t turn the TV on before 6pm. 

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Drumroll - I’m having my first jab at the hub in Wednesday. No idea why I’m down for it before my husband - he’s rather miffed as he’s 3 years older! And I’ll definitely be avoiding Homes under the Hammer and all daytime programmes if I feel too unwell to work. Daytime TV is a slippery slope. We don’t turn the TV on before 6pm. 

Good news!  And with you absolutely on not turning the TV on until evening. Hope any side effects prove minimal. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fragilek said:

Our experience Myself, husband and MIL got AZ other than usual sore arm nothing else. My mum and 3 aunts got Pfizer and had no side effects either.  However, my daughter & future Son in Law both T1 diabetic got AZ and became quite ill (doc had to be called for my daughter & and it must have been bad as getting her to ever admit defeat to anything takes some doing).  However, to them it indicated how they would have faired if they got the real thing and emphasised why they need to continue to shield until 2nd vaccine. They have also heard from 2 friends also type 1 diabetic  who suffered quite bad reactions.  So I think being diabetic plays a part (daughter also has kidney issues ) also other preexisting condition may impact too.  

For me I have the opposite worry I would have like the vax to have done something as I have no Lymphocytes so a very high chance it won't work for me at all

My son has type 1 diabetes had the AZ  2 weeks ago with no side effects the same as us 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 9:48 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Pleased your daughter is finally going to get her vaccine jab.

Is there another practice in the area she could move to because her current one sounds incompetent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pleased your daughter is finally going to get her vaccine jab.

Is there another practice in the area she could move to because her current one sounds incompetent.

Thanks Graham - sadly not.  There was one good doctor at the original practice, she left, and the practice merged with the other one in the area.  Now the merged practice is even worse.  Nothing else in the area, so it's a question of putting up with it or getting one some distance away if they'll take an away registration.

The healthcare there, by comparison with here, is dreadful.  This was just one incident, but unfortunately it runs through the whole practice.

• Like 1

My mum (94) had her second Pfizer injection this week. I asked if she had any reaction. "A bit tired" she said, but she put that down to the fact that she had to walk a long way after her ultra sound for her heart murmur.

The good news is that, when asked, the consultant said she could carry on digging her vegetable patch. So, lots of runner beans this summer!

• Like 12

On 3/2/2021 at 12:07 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

Excellent news. Really pleased for you and your husband 

What was the outcome for your friend in the end. The one who claimed her husband had not had the jab when he said he had?