Unruly Passenger Behavior??

evandbob

3 hours ago, mom says said:

It should be a rule on every flight. For those who don't know any better.  Why on God's green earth would you put a phone, tablet, or any other personal item in the seat back pocket? The same pocket that may not have been properly cleaned for heaven knows how long. The same pocket used to hold used kleenexes,  dirty diapers,  empty food wrappers, and who knows what other kinds of garbage from previous pax? And people wonder why they get sick on planes.

Baloney! Airlines put the advertising, safety cards, etc in the seatback pockets all the time, and the recommend passengers should take time to read this stuff. Anybody caught shoving a dirty diaper or used kleenex in a seatback pocket should be booted off at the next stop and banned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FredT said:

When our kids were young, we had to adhere to "school holiday" periods... and (trying to raise 2 kids) we always chose "basic" mass market lines and trips.   Result?   Yeah, we have seen a lot of drunk and unruly behavior

If you were on a five day Carnival cruise out of Ft Lauderdale back in March 2008, and someone was singling along to “Oh Mandy” a little too loud and enthusiastically at the Piano Bar, um.... sorry about that. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

If you were on a five day Carnival cruise out of Ft Lauderdale back in March 2008, and someone was singling “Oh Mandy” a little too loud and enthusiastically at the Piano Bar, um.... sorry about that. 

you too?  Thought I was the only one doing that, LOL

On 7/11/2021 at 11:13 AM, Mary229 said:

Cruise ships do have jails and lockdowns.  I have seen them cart off an unruly customer once.  At the next port they are unceremoniously handed over to the local authorities.   Airlines don't have that option

Mostly cruise ship jails are drunk tanks and I’m guessing they get used a lot based on how much people drink sometimes.  Couple alcohol with mask rage and you get an awful combination

On 7/11/2021 at 11:10 AM, evandbob said:

Airlines are experiencing the highest incidence of antagonistic passenger behavior ever, from ignoring flight attendants instructions, fighting, spitting, and attempting to open secure doors.  I'm constantly reading about passengers being restrained or arrested, and flights being diverted or terminated.

My questions are:

1)  Does anyone think this type of behavior will carry over to cruise ships as sailings resume? 

2) Will cruise crews enforce or ignore unruly behavior by passengers when it occurs?

I think cruise lines are less likely. You always have an idiot around and a Village that is happy they are gone. A lot of what is happening on airlines are people getting money who normally not travel, demanding special treatment, and doing exactly what the media has programmed them to do. There are countless recent incidents of this stuff going on. Look at the crazy lady trying to get checked in for a flight knowing full well she is on the No-Fly list and can never fly again. Her 4-5yo pleading and crying not to get arrested. Her son just back off a ways knowing he is going through it again. You had 2 people fly down to Miami after stimulus check time. Followed a drunk woman to her hotel, drugged her up, and you can figure the rest. They were arrested for murder and the other charges. Never would have been down there without the stimulus money as they stated.

As for the cruise ships, they have security and can deal with it. Getting dumped at the next port with their local authorities is surely fun. Imagine getting picked up by Mexican Police. Not many people would want to go to a Mexican jail. The financial burden alone is massive for being dumb like this. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Yep!  Kindle devices had to be stored elsewhere. That was the first time a flight attendant gave that rule.  You could hold your phone in your hand, but the kindle or other small device of that size couldn't be in the seatback pocket.  That was the rule on only one flight.

The rules on Kindles seem to be changing a lot. I recently got yelled at by TSA for leaving mine in my backpack instead of taking it out and putting it in the tub. Last time I traveled, it wasn't like that. But I did find out something wonderful on our last plane trip. It's surprisingly nice to just read a Kindle book on a smart phone. I'm probably stupid, but that just never occurred to me before. I'll be doing that exclusively on planes from here out.

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I wonder why my DW needs her morning coffee as she cannot have caffeine and drinks decaf. How can you be addicted to something when the addicting substance is not there.

As for me, I don't drink coffee as I dislike the taste. I used to drink one cup every year or so, and sped around like I was on meth. But then I cut down.😃

Yeah, you really needed to cut back. 

My understanding is that decaf still has a little caffeine in it.  (I'm sure there will be a mad rush to Google to confirm this -- Haha.)   

56 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, you really needed to cut back. 

My understanding is that decaf still has a little caffeine in it.  (I'm sure there will be a mad rush to Google to confirm this -- Haha.)   

Yes, we know that. And I wonder about her decaf tea drinking since she always uses 2 tea bags.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Mostly cruise ship jails are drunk tanks and I’m guessing they get used a lot based on how much people drink sometimes.  Couple alcohol with mask rage and you get an awful combination

Brigs are usually reserved for more heinous crimes with a likelihood of criminal prosecution back on shore.  Cruise lines tend to prefer confinement to quarters as a first resort.  Often, they'll post a guard outside the room.  

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

The rules on Kindles seem to be changing a lot. I recently got yelled at by TSA for leaving mine in my backpack instead of taking it out and putting it in the tub. Last time I traveled, it wasn't like that. But I did find out something wonderful on our last plane trip. It's surprisingly nice to just read a Kindle book on a smart phone. I'm probably stupid, but that just never occurred to me before. I'll be doing that exclusively on planes from here out.

It is all over the board and dependent on the individual TSA agent. I had one trip where both my wife and I had a Kindle and I got scolded for not pulling mine out of my backpack and she had hers in her backpack and they said nothing. For our connecting flight they said there was no need to pull them out. Then on our return trip at the same airport they told us that we needed to pull them out.

It's like Barney Fife is in charge. "Where's my bullet?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On Unruly passengers.... at least on a ship one can simply walk away.....

where as planes     more resemble a sardine can..... a captive group

So in light of grumpy people on cruise ships... it is very easy to avoid them...

And yes have met some strange people on cruise ships..

On 7/17/2021 at 11:24 PM, mom says said:

It should be a rule on every flight. For those who don't know any better.  Why on God's green earth would you put a phone, tablet, or any other personal item in the seat back pocket? The same pocket that may not have been properly cleaned for heaven knows how long. The same pocket used to hold used kleenexes,  dirty diapers,  empty food wrappers, and who knows what other kinds of garbage from previous pax? And people wonder why they get sick on planes.

I always get a kick out of hearing people's explanations why specific areas are dirty. When in reality, fecal matter is almost everywhere. It's not unlikely to be on a belt buckle, tray table, anything you touched on the plane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I always get a kick out of hearing people's explanations why specific areas are dirty. When in reality, fecal matter is almost everywhere. It's not unlikely to be on a belt buckle, tray table, anything you touched on the plane. 

Good point. Sad reality. Wash those hands!

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

You're not wrong. Why else would you see posts about people packing sanitizing wipes to use on those areas within their personal space as soon as they get to their seats for a flight? They aren't all germaphobes.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion for the unruly airline passenger problem.  I don't know how many of you have watched the many veterinary shows on TV.  Every time the vet has to do a procedure, they give the animal a shot to relax them or to temporarily put them to sleep.  Then when they are done with the procedure, they give them a reversal shot to get them back awake.  Perhaps they can do the same thing w airplane passengers.  Give all the passengers a shot when they board and a reversal when the plane lands. It would certainly reduce the work load for the cabin attendants.

Maybe I am just kidding.  Or maybe I am serious.  Who knows.  LOL!!

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

You're not wrong. Why else would you see posts about people packing sanitizing wipes to use on those areas within their personal space as soon as they get to their seats for a flight? They aren't all germaphobes.

Yes, they are.  People panicking because now we can measure such minute quantities.  

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, Mike981 said:

It is all over the board and dependent on the individual TSA agent. I had one trip where both my wife and I had a Kindle and I got scolded for not pulling mine out of my backpack and she had hers in her backpack and they said nothing. For our connecting flight they said there was no need to pull them out. Then on our return trip at the same airport they told us that we needed to pull them out.

It's like Barney Fife is in charge. "Where's my bullet?"

Consistently inconsistent in an effort to make the big catch. Deputy Fife is smarter than all but the smartest Smurf.

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have a suggestion for the unruly airline passenger problem.  I don't know how many of you have watched the many veterinary shows on TV.  Every time the vet has to do a procedure, they give the animal a shot to relax them or to temporarily put them to sleep.  Then when they are done with the procedure, they give them a reversal shot to get them back awake.  Perhaps they can do the same thing w airplane passengers.  Give all the passengers a shot when they board and a reversal when the plane lands. It would certainly reduce the work load for the cabin attendants.

Maybe I am just kidding.  Or maybe I am serious.  Who knows.  LOL!!

DON

Don, I hope you've always been a good boy on your plane trips. I can just imagine what the cabin attendants would do to those slumbering passengers who were a pain in the butt before. 😮

3 hours ago, mom says said:

🤦‍♂️Now I know why on our flight home Friday United Airlines gave us each a packet with a sanitary wipe.

I believe that the airlines have brought a fair amount of this unruly passenger grief on themselves by being far too lenient on the nonsense for far too long.   Not to mention allowing intoxicated passengers to board and/or serving them on board. 

It is difficult for them to crack down after so many years of kid gloves.  There is no reason why ground crew and flight crew should put up with any nonsense and no reason why these disturbances should not end up with the police or immigration officials.   

I feel sorry for all the nonsense, abuse, and obnoxious  behavior that employees of the various carriers have to put up with.  Some for the security, immigration, and customs folks.  I really do not know how they do it.

2 hours ago, iancal said:

I believe that the airlines have brought a fair amount of this unruly passenger grief on themselves by being far too lenient on the nonsense for far too long.   Not to mention allowing intoxicated passengers to board and/or serving them on board. 

It is difficult for them to crack down after so many years of kid gloves.  There is no reason why ground crew and flight crew should put up with any nonsense and no reason why these disturbances should not end up with the police or immigration officials.   

I feel sorry for all the nonsense, abuse, and obnoxious  behavior that employees of the various carriers have to put up with.  Some for the security, immigration, and customs folks.  I really do not know how they do it.

Would it be possible for all of the means of public transportation to generate an overall "not allowed to travel" list which is similar to the terrorist do-not-fly list maintained by the federal government.  If you get on that list, you would not be allowed to board any conveyance which requires buying a ticket - all airlines, all ships, all trains, no public busses or subways although I am not sure how they would manage that list, all interstate buses, etc.  In addition, if you are on that list you would not be able to rent a car.  Given all the lists that the government maintains, it should be possible for them to maintain a do-not-travel list.  Over time, this would eliminate many pf the bad actors.

DON

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 3:14 AM, zekekelso said:

If you were on a five day Carnival cruise out of Ft Lauderdale back in March 2008, and someone was singling along to “Oh Mandy” a little too loud and enthusiastically at the Piano Bar, um.... sorry about that. 

Nope, but if YOU were on a Cunard 9 day out of San Juan on early October 1980....   Well never mind, (but DAMN it was a good Honeymoon!)   😁

11 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Would it be possible for all of the means of public transportation to generate an overall "not allowed to travel" list which is similar to the terrorist do-not-fly list maintained by the federal government.  If you get on that list, you would not be allowed to board any conveyance which requires buying a ticket - all airlines, all ships, all trains, no public busses or subways although I am not sure how they would manage that list, all interstate buses, etc.  In addition, if you are on that list you would not be able to rent a car.  Given all the lists that the government maintains, it should be possible for them to maintain a do-not-travel list.  Over time, this would eliminate many pf the bad actors.

DON

The idea sounds fine, but I don't think it could work. How for instance would you keep someone off the subway? It's not like they have any way of asking you for identification, and even if they could how much would it delay the operation of the subway.

I imagine there could be a sharing of the no fly list with cruise companies and any cruise ban list with airlines. Do cruise companies now share any lists of banned passengers with each other, especially with lines owned by different companies?

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I think the subway and buses is a step too far.

How would these people get to their daily work?

Given the fuss about 'rights, civil liberties' etc. in respect of the wearing of face masks, banning someone from all forms of transport could be controversial to say the least! As you point out, enforcement would be challenging as well.