Why do YOU cruise?

Keys Kathy

We cruise to meet new people, not have to cook, and relax. We interact with staff and other guests and have made friends that we are still in touch with. I understand that some people cruise for different reasons. 

So, why do YOU cruise?

Just now, If only said:

We love meeting people from around the world & still keep in touch with people/crew we have cruised with in the past.

We do too, but I have been told that is not the reason a lot of people cruise. Are you going to be on any sailings with us?

I like to get away from the cold and only unpack once and see something new everyday. All of the food and entertainment included. Just makes for an easy and relaxing vacation. I have met some interesting people onboard, but overall we just like to enjoy ourselves together and don't spend a lot of time going out of our way to meet others.

• Like 1

Our love for cruising has evolved to a point where it has become an integral part of our "golden years" life style. We started with 7 day cruises about 10 years ago, and now try to cruise around 100 days a year with our favorite cruises averaging 3-5 weeks long.

Sure, we love seeing different parts of the world, who wouldn't, especially where there are plenty of animals to see, which many seem to mostly live south of the equator. But I will say seeing where ancient civilizations once thrived is also pretty cool! 

We also enjoy life on the ship and now appreciate more sea days rather than port days as we have so much fun sailing the high seas on the cruise lines we sail with! But, we also love being spoiled on occasion in our old age and where better to experience that feeling than on a cruise ship!! 😎

• Like 1

We cruise for the itinerary- when it is more practical than doing it as an independent land/flying vacation.  Or as a price driven alternative to a resort stay, if relaxation is our aim for a particular getaway. A cruise ship is simply a very pleasant and comfortable means of transportation and accommodation.

We don't need to be on a ship to relax, enjoy food we haven't prepared ourselves, or to meet new people. We've found those things can be done just about anywhere

Why do we cruise..... well it is relaxing

We enjoy the ship... love sea days... it goes places   mainly it is the journey

Also not driving,cooking or cleaning or laundry, somebody makes your bed and leave chocolates... you have a great view... love looking at the sea ..

You not have to decide what is for dinner... until dinner time... breakfast is grand...

and it is only 20 minute from Home

To us it is a great holiday.....  basically it is the vibe of being on a ship...

Don

• Like 1

You get to check out a different port each day.  Someone else does the driving.  You can do as little or as much as you want both in port or on the ship.  Food is plentiful and available anytime you want without having to drive around in circles looking for a restaurant.  Your bed is always there waiting for you as well.  Basically it's like seeing the world from the comfort of your own "home".

Maybe because after a few cruises I feel at home and at the same time still feel quite adventurous (casting off the bowlines so to speak) or maybe it's something about being on the ocean.  But, there is no other trip where I feel as free. 

Edited by Blondilu
  • Like 3

To enjoy the atmosphere, see some new places, hang out in some new places, wander around,   relax, and listen to grouchy old people moan, and complain about everything.  😄

Edited by ldubs

Most of my cruises are itinerary-focused. In other words, the ship isn't the destination for me. I find cruise travel very pleasant (if not too many sea days), but it is only one of several types of travel that I like. I also enjoy in-depth visits to specific cities/countries, some via group tours and some on my own.

While I enjoy being somewhat social on cruises -- for example, I enjoy dining with others most nights, since I travel solo -- I am not really looking for new friends or people to hang out with. Only a very few times in 40-odd years of cruising have I kept up with anyone I've met on a ship.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

We cruise to meet new people, not have to cook, and relax. We interact with staff and other guests and have made friends that we are still in touch with. I understand that some people cruise for different reasons. 

So, why do YOU cruise?

I cruise because I am disabled and cannot be on a plane or a train.I cannot drive.

We cruise for a lot of reasons but meeting new people is far down on the list.  We love the sea, the relaxation, the food, the shows (usually) and the easy-unpack once-way to travel.

We love to see different parts of the world and cruising is one way to get to many locations we would have trouble seeing on a land tour.  For instance, on the around Cape Horn cruise, it would be difficult, although possible, to go to all the places we saw, such as Buenos Ares, the Falklands, Patagonia, Chile, etc by land.  We do land vacations also , for more in-depth insight into an area.  

In winter we cruise to get away from winter weather.  Do we enjoy meeting people?  Yes, but it's not why we cruise.

I cruise to visit those destinations where it is the most practical means of getting there due to geography, remoteness, lack of tourist infrastructure or to a place where a one day visit is sufficient to meet my needs (e.g. French Polynesia, Greenland, Alaska, Antarctica, etc.) The boat itself and the cruise milieu have little appeal. 

I'm boring I guess, I cruise for itinerary usually because it might be the best way to visit a certain location. I do enjoy talking to people on cruises but unless we go beyond the small talk I can't say I make many meaningful rconnections. It is great to meet other travellers and compare travel stories, that is probably some of the best conversations I have had.

• Like 1

Other travel is heavily restricted due to health issues, flying is out totally for Mrs G, driving more than an hour or two each couple of days, is too much for me. So cruising worked for us, board unpack just once do as much or as little as we want while being able to check on each other regularly. 

Deteriorating health may even mean no more cruises, but sure have enjoyed the ones we have done, between 2 and 35 nights.

I’ve been cruising since 1980, and solo since 2010. For me, it’s also itineraries, and  most of my cruises are over 14 days. I don’t really care about meeting people. I might make small talk with people, but I prefer to eat alone, and just do my own thing. I don’t live my life much differently on a ship, than the way I live at home. I tend to have a bit of social anxiety in crowds, but I feel safe traveling on ships, so cruising works for me.

• Like 3

Since retiring cruising has been a pleasant change for our extended independent land travels.  Not unusual for us to pick up a last minute cruise part way thru a land trip.  

The most recent exception was a SA cruise.  We wrapped a land trip around the cruise.