The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 2nd, 2022

richwmn

Love, LOVE CAD!!!

I'm so old that I remember designing airplanes using the ancient ink-on-mylar method.  Then in the '80s CAD came along!  We were able to design faster PLUS we could plug the model of our part of the aircraft into the models of other design-groups mating parts and could see and remedy any interference before sending our production drawings out to the shop for fabrication.

Love it so much that, even though I'm retired, I still keep an old copy of Boeing's CAD software on my own computer so I can just fool around with it and dream of new airplanes.

• Like 27

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Love Ice cream, sandwich or otherwise and CAD is a big advancement.  I'll miss National Night Out due to a meeting.  It looks like I have not been to Horta but have been to other islands.  Love the Twain quote but will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Lido DIY Salad, Pork Chop with Mashed Potatoes, and MDR Blueberry Sundae, as enjoyed on MS Westerdam August 2, 2018.  I chose to get most of dinner in the Lido so I could be on deck for our sailaway from Juneau,=:

dishes02.jpg

Today’s care list:

smitty’s entire family with Covid
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
JazzyV knee pain and StLouis Cruiser’s continuing leg issues
Cruzin Terri painful joints
crusin single giving up transatlantic cruise
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow in Kazu’s care and making progress
Crabbi Patti on camp nurse duty to 8/8
Volendam caring for refugees
Marshhawk major decision to end dog walking
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
5 days for AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam 8/7 to 8/14)
5 days for Mister67 (Equinox 8/7 to 8/13)
1 day for Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam 8/3 to 8/27)
Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (to 8/3), Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for posting today's list's Roy.

Graham 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

There were some girls dancing in what looked like an outdoor recital right out on the street.  People were gathered across the street lounging on a lawn to watch.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgothNAXkSzLrtkWtPdFxD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526085143

Some of the viewers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXCDkEAtSzQlUlPDytKqZD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137138

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnw46RMLLCXRDwAKtiACpR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137168

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJOPj2ci8q2fU9uNiT_b440?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137168

We were headed back towards the ship now and would soon come upon a small park.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJWOWAermzR9JinpceQcYmT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526085310

There was a pond there with black swans in residence.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsSb8VKRUyfqAuShfTrsg7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526085303

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwezde3AVhS10EZeUaf2KM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137201

They had a very nicely done esplanade along the shore.  Great for viewing the ships.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLCTK2dMUli-_YvyDVJKWkw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137243

And my favorite ship, the Prinsendam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2XC1yRp418DPncyyYJ_7N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137250

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ7eFjFNqvfScb1_WCgLoKA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526085317

At 4:50 pm we pulled away and began our journey across the Atlantic to Bermuda.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7FXP6-j5fTevT7ra4PAOY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137399

DH and I were standing on the deck just above the bridge with a nice view of the outside bridge wings.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxMUXKmK_wAVwt8rQ9RJtb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137428

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhLqwOBFRpbORo4uBU-JH1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137432

Captain D. D. saw us standing up there and asked us to meet him outside the Crow's Nest.  We did and he asked if we would like to have dinner in Canaletto the following night.  He also said we could bring our tablemates George and Sandy.  Of course we accepted!  He set the time at 7:00 pm the following night.  Later while we were dining he walked into the dining room and came over to our table to tell us he forgot about a meeting he had scheduled and could we make it at 7:30 pm instead?  We all said no problem, Captain!  You should have seen waiter Riris's face when the Captain walked away!  He came over with eyes wide and said "What was that about??"  Oh, just a little change in dinner plans.  By the way we won't be here for dinner tomorrow night, Riris!😅

One more thing, we were celebrating Kings Day that day and here is the cake they prepared as well as our monkeys with the orange wigs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHhFyjLxHbOI_Jin4RKn_A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526137436

Here's a photo of us at dinner in Canaletto the following night.  The Executive Chef of the fleet was on board and brought us out a huge fish he had prepared for our dinner.  I only had a few bites of it since I'm not a huge fish lover.  But it was good and I enjoyed my separate entree.  George brought a special bottle of wine he had purchased on our cruise in Civitavecchia and the Captain was very surprised and honored that he had done that.  He said usually I provide all the wine, but he enjoyed it very much and asked where the shop was in Civitavecchia that George had bought it.  We were there for hours enjoying the conversation and food, and finally Captain said I have to go back to work now.  We bid him good night, then all four of us sat and chatted a while about it having been one of the best dinners we had ever experienced on a cruise.  The company was outstanding!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHtRTdJ2k-W5gkdLqTNhUd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526159922

Nice photos Sandi.

A particularly nice one of yourself,DH,and captain.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Tuesday Morning !  

I could not sleep last night, I know it was 3:05 when I last looked at the clock, and it was 7 when the eyes opened.  I tried prayer, meditation, and yoga stretches' for sleep.  Nothing worked.  I am stressing out over upcoming events, and I just need to say no to a few of them.  I just want a day to myself, where I dont (oh this is selfish to say) have to be anywhere, other than where I want to be when I want to be there.  I guess that's why I love cruising so much.  Especially sea days.

Oops, just heard a transformer blow in the "hood".  Another squirrel biting the dust...

@Rowsby I am glad you changed your mind.  Wear your mask, don't hang with folks you don't know, and you should be fine.  There has to be a safe way to live, or there is no way to live.  Just take care of yourself!

@rafinmdYou don't have to worry about running late here.  If you don't post, we will come looking for you!  One of the reasons we booked that cruise was that it is on a smaller ship.  I guess I'm not a bells and whistles type of person,  the sound of the ocean, the waves hitting the side of the ship, the stars at night, these are the things that make me happy on a ship.  That and the fact that I don't have to cook or clean the kitchen at night.  It also was advertised as a Journeys cruise with classes on Astronomy and computer information on how to manage your photographs.  Not sure any of that will happen because of Covid.  I certainly dont want to be in a big crowd in an enclosed space.

@0106the first salad you show would be great on hummus and a couple of slices of pita. Yum.

I like the quote today, and I love ice cream sandwiches.  DH loves the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches at Disney.  It's been quite a while since we have been there, maybe I could make him one with some Pepperidge Farm cookies, and coffee ice cream.

Have a great day everyone-

14b9179b635d519d5c217c4a4375e68c.jpg

I love seeing your meme's every day Ann.

They are always lovely.

Graham.

• Like 11

@dfish Good luck with the IRS. I owned a condo in LA which I rented out when I returned to Florida to live. When I retired I decided to sell it as I was in a "making my life simpler" frame of mind.

Of course I had to pay capital gains tax on the profits and did so as direct withdrawal from my bank account. three months later DH got a notice from the IRS saying no taxes had been paid.(I had owned the condo prior to marriage but we filed jointly). It was a fairly large amount and it took 2 months to get everything straight with the IRS as my payment was not recognized. even though they could see it credited  as DH was the considered the primary taxpayer and the money did not come from his account.!!! It was very frustrating but eventually I got to speak with someone who was very helpful and got everything straightened out.

Mary

• Like 22

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

National Night Out is always held the 1st Tuesday in August . It’s supposed to be a way for the community to meet police and first responders in a happy setting. There is usually free food and  sometimes demonstrations of K-9 units and other equipment. It’s a great event for families to come together.

Thanks - it’s not something done here in our little town nor I think, in most places in NB.  Sounds lovely 👍 

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui you are a trooper! Little Shadow will be a perfect pup for you soon. How old is she?

She is a year and 1/2.  I’m no trooper but I am trying.  We had a 2 step back morning with the garbage truck sounds and then my generator coming on. After the garbage truck I brought her IN successfully to take away some of the noise when the generator was going to start up.

But she’s actually happily sleeping in the house and has settled.  Once the drizzle stops we’ll go out and work on hide and seek, leash, play and sit.  

It’s a lot of work but there is reward ♥️ I would say she is near Fox’s fear level which is a huge improvement.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I was right, she had her mind on something else, one of her friends passed away from cancer two weeks after he was diagnosed.  And she is currently a mess.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this 😢 You are kind so help her - believe me she will appreciate the support and more and more as time goes by ♥️ 

We did a drive around the neighborhood to find the broken water main, (the one that the water department told DH they were in the process of fixing) and no one is up there at all.  There was a fire hydrant blasting water in some one's yard, but that wasn't the break. There was no one working on the break, and a truck at the fire hydrant.  So not sure if mid afternoon is the actual estimated time of fix.

It'll be a boil water situation later on.

Ugh - and how frustrating.  So sorry - especially on the boil order.    Your meme is perfect - that just about sums up any workers I see - at least 7 people and I swear only one is working.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Jacqui @kazuit amazes me at the progress you're making with Shadow (Little).  You're doing a great job with her.

Her rescuer (whom I am in contact with now) is stunned, surprised and happy.  She has a long ways to go. But I try to look at what we have accomplished and not the journey.

I have a couple people criticizing me for trying to do this in the early stages of grief and while they may be right, her only chance was being shipped out now.  There could be no delay - time was of the essence.   I was really disappointed (and hurt) they didn’t share in my success and instead pointed out I was doing the wrong thing for me.  😢  Just a little vent, sorry.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I hope it works for you.  If you need help, just email me.  I’m happy to help if I can.

Terri

You and everyone else here is so helpful.  Thanks for offering!

I too have a TENS machine, got it to get the broken elbow going again.  DH would put the pads on, and then start out very low with the shock....until I could actually feel it.  And then I would sit with it on, watching TV, it's not something you walk around with.  @StLouisCruisers If you want it, I could hook up with you and give it to you.  It does help.  I don't use it anymore, but think if i could figure out where to put the pads it would help my back.   It was covered by insurance to a point, I paid off the balance which was like 78.00.  You would just have to order new pads.  

Yesterday we had brown outs every time the air came on.  Today we have no water.  So no shower, no going to the friends pool.  And as of right now, no cooking, washing, cleaning, etc. and no flushing toilet!  Neighbor is home today, but cant walk. (Sciatic nerve problems)  So it's back to the dog and then work, I have to figure out lunch.    I was right, she had her mind on something else, one of her friends passed away from cancer two weeks after he was diagnosed.  And she is currently a mess.

Since DH is watching his favorite show, but starts later than I do, I think at noon, he should go get lunch, bottled water, and then he can work.

We did a drive around the neighborhood to find the broken water main, (the one that the water department told DH they were in the process of fixing) and no one is up there at all.  There was a fire hydrant blasting water in some one's yard, but that wasn't the break. There was no one working on the break, and a truck at the fire hydrant.  So not sure if mid afternoon is the actual estimated time of fix.

It'll be a boil water situation later on.

th?id=OIP.iviZeKYs028PANVN5QyLEgHaH6&pid=Api&P=0

Thanks Annie for your offer.  I think you two might still have uses for your Tens unit.  Hopefully you can figure out where to place the pads on your back.  

Any idea why the electricity went out whenever the AC came on yesterday?  Glad we didn't have any problems like that because it's AUGUST!  It's hot outside!  I hope your AC is working today.  And I hope that water main is fixed soon.  Not a good situation to be in.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

It’s been quite the day. The ferry to Harris broke this morning so we have rode 5 hours on a scenic route Ullapool to take another ferry to Harris arriving at 8:00 PM. We had to be walk on only as no more room for autos. Our tour guide has hired a taxi and driver for our couple of days on Harris and Lewis.

Problem yes but we have adapted and overcome.

Here are some pics of today’s beautiful sights including the deer herd.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b4e640efb6cec9a9338a1f3dc4f6fdf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c7741263aa115f62119ea473fb463459.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ff184fdc082b2c97dcabddb4417a1259.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.039467fd7eb4195006cb8aba7544e917.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.164a67c278597510f5211f178db21a33.jpeg

More great Scottish countryside pictures.  Ullapool is a charming small town.  How much longer is your vacation there?

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're having a welcome cooling trend, even a few drops of rain the last couple mornings.  A high of 75 and clouds today is more like what we're used to here.  

International Night Out is a wonderful idea, I like ice cream sandwiches but don't remember the last time I had one.  DS and DDIL use CAD for all their house renovations, it's fun to look at them.

I'll pass on the meal and drink, but the wine sounds great.  Last night I made the Chicken Parmesan with roasted potatoes and it was a hit.  Have been to Portugal but not Horta.  Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserfor the photos.

I've been putting off calling the doctor about a pain in my arm (near the elbow) and finally did it and have an appointment tomorrow.  It's been going on too long and feels like it's worse.  I'm afraid it's probably a bone spur, and I'm dreading the possibility of surgery...at least we don't have any trips planned for a couple months.

Sue @RowsbyI'm glad to hear that the condo in Hawaii is available and that you changed your mind about going.  I know you'll be careful and have a wonderful time.

Debbie @dfishhoping Sue's bag shows up soon!  Also good grief about the IRS situation. At least you can prove you paid already.  One time it took DH a couple years of back and forth with them but eventually he did "win".  But it wasn't the same situation. 

Jacqui @kazuit amazes me at the progress you're making with Shadow (Little).  You're doing a great job with her.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersabsolutely gorgeous sunrise photo!!

Terry @smitty34877great news that everyone is feeling a little better, especially that Tana and your DH are feeling less congested.  

You're welcome on the Horta photos.  And as for the sunrise photo, I love a purpley-pink sunrise.  Always have to reach for the phone to get a photo of it.

It's sad to hear of another Dailyite with a painful condition.  I had tennis elbow around 20 years ago and that was pretty painful.  Do you think it could be that?  Surgery fixed that immediately. Bone spur doesn't sound good either!   Let us know what the doctor says. 

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Kay, hard to believe so many here have needed a Tens unit!  I looked at your link and it really does look very portable.  I'm going to bookmark that page in case I need it in a few months.  Thanks to everyone for their insight and offers to help

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Kay, hard to believe so many here have needed a Tens unit!  I looked at your link and it really does look very portable.  I'm going to bookmark that page in case I need it in a few months.  Thanks to everyone for their insight and offers to help

Sandi, If you are on Medicare, it should pay for one and once it is paid for, it is yours.  I would not spend the money for it.  You PT will order it for you.  

Once it is prescribed then Medicare pays for it.  If you have other insurance, as I do, it pays for it as well. Don’t spend money needlessly.

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have a couple people criticizing me for trying to do this in the early stages of grief and while they may be right, her only chance was being shipped out now.  There could be no delay - time was of the essence.   I was really disappointed (and hurt) they didn’t share in my success and instead pointed out I was doing the wrong thing for me.  😢  Just a little vent, sorry.

Only you can make that decision.  As a friend my only role is to support you in the choices you make at this time unless it is something that would cause permanent physical damage.  I would never tell someone that.  We all process grief differently.  There is no one size fits all approach.  Who knows?  Maybe what you are doing is way to honor Jose.  He loved Miko and Marley, too.  Just prove those people wrong!  You can do it!

52 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

@dfish Good luck with the IRS. I owned a condo in LA which I rented out when I returned to Florida to live. When I retired I decided to sell it as I was in a "making my life simpler" frame of mind.

Of course I had to pay capital gains tax on the profits and did so as direct withdrawal from my bank account. three months later DH got a notice from the IRS saying no taxes had been paid.(I had owned the condo prior to marriage but we filed jointly). It was a fairly large amount and it took 2 months to get everything straight with the IRS as my payment was not recognized. even though they could see it credited  as DH was the considered the primary taxpayer and the money did not come from his account.!!! It was very frustrating but eventually I got to speak with someone who was very helpful and got everything straightened out.

Mary

I think mine is a little more straightforward.  It is due to an amended return. One 1099 DIV was very late in getting to me.  At the end of January I thought I had all I needed and sat down and did my taxes.  Turns out I didn't and I had to add in some additional income which changed my tax liability.  I am the only taxpayer in the household, so no problem there.  I paid by credit card through a certified IRS payment processor, so it is just a situation of waiting for the right hand to catch up with the left or vice versa.  I poured over the letter this morning and it even said if payment had been made to disregard.  You'd think they can check the files.  I just want to make sure they know about the payment, not that there will be a problem as the tax payment processor will take over then.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

@aliaschief  enjoy your visit to Harris, the time we visited there, we went to the tweed factory and museum. I bought a shawl and my brother bought a jacket. I’m sorry if I missed your response but what tour company are you using? The picture of the Cal-Mac ferry brought back good memories.

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

All good days. My porch light will be on (always is) for National Night Out; no neighborhood gathering usually. CAD is important. I haven't had an ice cream sandwich in a while. I like the quote. I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

I've been to Portugal, but not Horta. Thanks for the pictures.

Today's our last nice day before it gets very hot again with some storms. Fortunately the bad storms missed me yesterday. I seem to get weird stuff. My left palm has been hurting since Sunday, and now I notice a lump and black and blue area (hematoma). How'd I do that? Anyway, I've spent the morning doing some sorting for donations and putting on the bay.

@Rowsby Congrats on your trip. I do understand the hesitancy, as I have it too given my health issues.

@dfish It does often take time to adjust after travel. I hope Sue's bag is found soon. Oh no on the mess at the airport and what happened to Donna's feet!

@kazu It sounds like you're making progress with Shadow (Little). Great flowers too. 

@StLouisCruisers  Wonderful pictures, as usual. After shoulder surgery and for my knee I've had TENS done at PT; interesting sensations 🤨.

@marshhawk Having a day for yourself is not selfish, it's self care! Oh no on the brownouts yesterday and no water today! I hope it's fixed soon. We have a lot of water main breaks around here. Sorry to hear of the loss suffered by your neighbor.

@cruzn single I understand your issues, especially as a single traveler.

@smitty34877 So good to hear you're all starting to feel better! Prayers answered. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice photos.

@aliaschief Some challenges, but your guide seems up to the task. Great photos.

@Cruising-along Good you got an appointment quickly and I hope they can figure out your arm pain. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Try to stay safe everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

National Night Out is always held the 1st Tuesday in August . It’s supposed to be a way for the community to meet police and first responders in a happy setting. There is usually free food and  sometimes demonstrations of K-9 units and other equipment. It’s a great event for families to come together.

Thanks for the reminder. Many communities celebrate National Night Out as a way for neighbors to know they are not alone in the struggle against crime. Organizations, like Safe Streets in Tacoma or Neighborhood Watch groups throughout the country, take this as an opportunity to build on what they do all year: strive to make communities safe. Just like in gardening, or life in general, the Biblical concept of overcoming evil with good is what drives this special day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning/afternoon and thanks to our contributors here. Tina, many thanks for carrying on with the recipes so nicely.  

Big fan here of those Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches...and Mark Twain.  We've been to Azores a couple of times, but not Horta.  We have two stops in Azores next spring, but not Horta.

@Rowsby, I'm glad you decided to go to Hawaii.  That's one place that we keep hearing good reports on.  Traveling is tough these days.  Can't blame you, @cruzn single, for not wanting to take on a big trip.

@cat shepard, good luck with ArriveCAN.  We found that to be pretty simple, but...I'll share my May Alaska experience.  I've been mum about it because who needs to hear the bad stuff. lol

I was a nervous wreck about everything, Verifly, ArriveCAN, covid tests.  We got through the check-in process and headed up the ramp to the ship.  DH laughs and says, "Well, they can't throw you off now."

We head up, make a beautiful plate of lunch in Lido, sit down, and hear..."Mr. and Mrs. X, please come to Guest Services."   I panic, thinking emergency at home; literally leave our full plates.  We go down there and they are very mysterious at the desk.  "Come with me."

Dang, they lead us all the way off the ship to some dark, weird, creepy place where bags are being sorted.  One of the dogs had sniffed out DH's bag and we had to watch Security take out each and every thing in that suitcase, to find, of course, nothing.

They were very kind in escorting us back onboard.  I was practically hyperventilating by that point.  We skipped lunch and had a cocktail instead.

But enough on that.

@dfish, a passport in a casserole dish is something I definitely would do.  Now I write down and take with me a note of where I hid stuff before we go on vacation.  I never do remember!

@kazu, your dahlias are beautiful, as are @ottahand7's irises.  We've had tiny flowers this year.  No idea why.

@StLouisCruisers, your captain's dinner looks like so much fun.  I bet the captains enjoy you guys a lot -- good conversation!

@ger_77, the storm sounds scary but exciting.  Summer storms are so dramatic!

@smitty34877, holding the good thought that the worst is over for your family with covid.

@marshhawk👎 about the water.  That just throws everything off kilter, right!  Hope it's back on soon.

@Cruising-along, fingers crossed no surgery for the arm.  It's amazing how things like that seem to pop up out of nowhere.  Like @StLouisCruisers' leg...and @JazzyV's palm.   We used to have a doctor who would always say to just take a bunch of ibuprofen for everything.  Well, that's not so good for the kidneys.  I like the TENS unit idea better.  Be careful, everyone.  Easy to get ouchies!

@aliaschief, your Scotland trip looks amazing.  Someone asked if you were on a tour, but I never did see the answer.  Is it a tour company?  Looks like a wonderful trip.

Not much on the agenda here today.  Just a booster shot for Pocket in the afternoon.  Just that for The Dog Days of Summer.

Wishing all a safe and pleasant day. Keep cool!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Jacqui Debbie @dfishsaid it much better than I could, but I think those people should just support you and not criticize.  My first thought was that this is a good thing to help you during the grieving process.  Keeping busy, doing what you love, and what Jose would want you to do.  

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It's sad to hear of another Dailyite with a painful condition.  I had tennis elbow around 20 years ago and that was pretty painful.  Do you think it could be that?  Surgery fixed that immediately. Bone spur doesn't sound good either!   Let us know what the doctor says. 

Thank you Sandi.  I had to look up Tennis Elbow (have heard of it, but didn't know the symptoms).  I don't think it's the same thing, as Tennis Elbow affects the outer side of the elbow, this is the inner side.  Also my forearm doesn't seem affected at all.  Any movement or weight on that arm hurts, but in the inner elbow near that little inner bone. My guess is repetitive use with gardening (that's my weeding arm) but we'll see what they say tomorrow.  

17 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along Good you got an appointment quickly and I hope they can figure out your arm pain. 

Thank you Vanessa!  In order to get in quickly I have to see someone other than my regular doctor, but that's fine.  She's booked until into September.  I told them I've already waited too long, so will take whoever!

Too late to add Maxine @AncientWandererto the multi-quote, so will add here --  and thank you Maxine!  The older I get those "little things that pop up out of nowhere" seem to happen more and more!  😉  

@Cruising-along, fingers crossed no surgery for the arm.  It's amazing how things like that seem to pop up out of nowhere.  Like @StLouisCruisers' leg...and @JazzyV's palm.   We used to have a doctor who would always say to just take a bunch of ibuprofen for everything.  Well, that's not so good for the kidneys.  I like the TENS unit idea better.  Be careful, everyone.  Easy to get ouchies!

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, dfish said:

Only you can make that decision.  As a friend my only role is to support you in the choices you make at this time unless it is something that would cause permanent physical damage.  I would never tell someone that.  We all process grief differently.  There is no one size fits all approach.  Who knows?  Maybe what you are doing is way to honor Jose.  He loved Miko and Marley, too.  Just prove those people wrong!  You can do it!

Thanks - Jose loved all our dogs - and Fox, our fearful rescue had a dear spot in his heart.  He was skeptical at the beginning and could not believe her transformation.  I think he would approve of this ♥️ 

I appreciate your post so much and, sorry, I shouldn’t have said anything but is a dog or trying to help a dog a major decision?  I’m not selling the house for crying out loud.  And she needs help.  I have always found that if you try to help someone else it is better than feeling sorry for yourself constantly.

Yes, I am still shaking and crying at times but when I am with her training I try to clear my mind, put my shoulders back and focus on her.

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Jacqui Debbie @dfishsaid it much better than I could, but I think those people should just support you and not criticize.  My first thought was that this is a good thing to help you during the grieving process.  Keeping busy, doing what you love, and what Jose would want you to do.  

Aww thanks as well.  I’m trying.  I don’t accomplish much some days but I’m trying.  Her days were numbered and time was running out 😔 

Really appreciate it ♥️ 

• Like 27

Well, today has started out well. First, it has finally cooled off a bit so is pleasant. 2nd, DS turns 50 today-but I'm not sure how that happened so quickly.  Then I had to contact HAL about an OBC that expires in November. I think it was from our cancelled May Volendam cruise when they turned the ship into refugee housing. We weren't able to book the replacement cruise because of the hip surgery. I called Guest Relations and reached an agent in less than 10 minutes! And she was able to extend the credit to our February New Zealand cruise! Amazing on 2 counts. But I'm still waiting for Flight Ease to open up for our May cruise. Erg!

@Cruising-alongpain in the inner elbow is often called golfer's elbow. Ended up with both from work.

Lastly, an email from our Safeway grocery store said they're now offering Covid tests for travel. PCR-quality with results in 20 minutes for $69. Still a little pricy but less than $250 at SEATAC airport.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@kazuJacqui, 100 percent agree with Debbie.  Totally up to you how you choose to go forward.  Frankly, if it were me, I also would have taken Shadow -- just to get out of my own head and to have a boost to get up in the morning.  But nobody has a right or wrong way to grieve.   Pretty sad that anyone would be critical.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon All,

Our monsoonal clouds burned off early today, and it’s hot now. Am still planning on getting out on my bike. Haven’t done that in a while.

Count me in as another TENS unit user. I bought mine online after my chiropractor got me started on it some 15 years ago. He used estim for most of his patients. He was a trainer for the Angels at the time. Some 40 years ago when I was doing my clinical rotation in med-surg, one of the surgeons prescribed TENS for all his abdominal surgery patients as they needed less pain medication. TENS doesn’t have to hurt. It can actually feel good.

Dinner tonight is warmups of the infamous tomato pie ( remember that?)

@kazu Does Shadow allow you to pet her?

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I read the start of today's thread before going to the supermarket, so I bought some not-real-ice-cream sandwiches (I'm lactose-intolerant).

The day started with a telehealth appointment to review my test results, which I had already seen. No further tests required for now, just a repeat sometime next year. Trash and recycling taken out after that.

I understand the desire to isolate before major travel, and I wish I could do it. However, I have tickets for the Glimmerglass Festival, in Cooperstown, for the weekend after next, two weeks before the cruise, and I'm scheduled to officiate in the synagogue the last weekend before.

• Like 18

@kazuanother vote of support here. What you are doing is a great thing both for you and for shadow. And you are right, it was not a major decision like selling your house! We haven’t had a dog for a number of years but if something happened to DH, I think one of the first things I would do is get a dog for companionship. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1