7 days in the PH or... 7 days in a CS PLUS 7 in CC?

garyl62

Ultimately I know this question will boil down to my personal preference and no one can make that decision but me, however I’m interested in hearing what some of you would do and a few comments as to why you’d make that choice.  So here goes….

Total cost including airfare, cruise and upgrading to all four perks in one case, is less than $200 different.  I’m looking at choosing between a 7 day trip on the Summit to several “Saint” islands (not ABC’s) in the Penthouse in March, or an Apex 7 day Eastern Caribbean in a Concierge Class2 in March, PLUS a Millennium 7 day June Alaska trip in a Celebrity Suite.  All trips are in 2021.

Summit is renovated and staying in the Penthouse is hard to pass up as it’s something I’ve dreamed of but didn’t think it would be a reality.  On the other hand, 14 total days of cruising, first 7 on a new ship (Apex), then 3 months later 7 more on the renovated Millennium to a place we’ve never been is intriguing.

Like I said, cost is almost the same, Captain’s Club points are either 119 or 126 so close.  Is the shot at a PH worth giving up 7 extra days, or does trying out the Apex plus doing AK in a renovated CS outweigh the chance to sail in the PH?

I would always go for the more.  As much as I would love to do Royal/Penthouse suites etc, affordable but i prefer to go for the more days.  I do not spend that much time in the room anyway, its to store clothes, and sleep.  If you are going with others, who have other rooms on the ship that might change the equation since the PH would be a nice gathering spot for Happy Hours.  

I suppose it all depends on what you enjoy about cruising, but two 7-day cruises with very different itineraries versus a single 7-day sailing is a no brainer in IMO. As the Doublemint chewing gum jingle said, "double your pleasure, double your fun!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you do the Penthouse, what are you plans to do with all that space, just look at it?  You would get lost out on the balcony itself.    I would think PH would be nice to look at, but I would go for the two 7-Night cruises.  🍷

7 day cruises are over before you can unpack!  I would go for 14 days, but I would find a cruise that is 14 days, not 2 7 day ones.  That way you eliminate one plane fare and you only have to pack for the cruise once.

• Like 1

Go for the Penthouse! I’ve done the Summit PH (right before it was renovated) and it was awesome. Had one of our best butlers ever and the space was wonderful. We did have a 12 night cruise though and skipped two port days just to enjoy more time in the cabin. We also were a party of 5 (two staying in another cabin) so we entertained a few times. If you plan to spend very little time in your cabin and aren’t entertaining with other travelers then maybe it won’t be worth it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I HATE seven day cruises. You just arrive, unpack, and suddenly you are packing and disembarking!  As TeaBag said, find a 14 day cruise - unless, of course, you enjoy packing and unpacking!

Or 2 7-nights back to back in the same cabin so no packing and unpacking!

13 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I HATE seven day cruises. You just arrive, unpack, and suddenly you are packing and disembarking!  As TeaBag said, find a 14 day cruise - unless, of course, you enjoy packing and unpacking!

If we can't find a 14 night cruise then we always do B2B cruises and always the same stateroom for both legs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To my mind the PH on M class is an experience that we have never regretted. For ship facilities we prefer the S class, for leisure 14 nights always beats 7, for off ship experiences 14 almost always beats 7 nights....Not cruised Edge class so no experience to offer. The M PH does offer something very memorable...

Our M class PH experiences remain valued and special....All comes down to time/port experiences vs on board room experience...

it all depends, as you said, on what you are looking for.  We have done the penthouse on the M Class ships on several "special" occasions.  It is an incredible suite, and made for trips we will never forget.  They were always done while we were traveling with friends in other staterooms and had them over for breakfasts on the enormous balcony, parties in the room, and special evening meals.  It is something very special.

It all depends on what ports you want to visit and the experience you wish to have.

Either way, have a great cruise experience

The PH on an M class ship is on my bucket list for sure but I would only do it if I was going on an itinerary I had done many times before so that I could enjoy the features of the suite and deck without feeling like I need to get off the ship at each port.  We haven't done Alaska yet so when we do, it's going to be about the ports and not the stateroom.

Having said that, I think I'd take my bucket list first knowing that Alaska will continue to be there but the PH and it's affordability may not...

I totally understand your plight, as voluntarily turning down a PH would be a Hugh downer;  HOWEVER, if turning those 7 nights down means that you can now do Alaska (in a suite, no less!) I can almost guarantee that seeing Alaska would completely remove that sting. 

I am definitely a beach/warm water/palm tree type of girl, but was talked into doing an Alaska cruise by my late husband. I was so blown away with the majesty and beauty that I couldn’t even image, that we did it again a few years later! 😉

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Ellen