Masks on Ships

Pickels

Ok, we know that you will have to wear a face mask inside the ship (bummer), but what about the pool deck, relaxing on your chaise lounges?  And are they placing the chaise lounges six feet apart on the decks?

My guess is on the outdoor lido deck, you won't likely need to assuming social distancing, but in the atrium, you may if you're not inside the pool/hot tub considering it's enclosed. Probably will also be enforced capacity inside of the hot tubs and pool.

As long as I am cruising in a safe manner in accordance with health guidances & safety as a priority; 

I will wear a mask in any room,

I will never be mean or gloom,

I will wear a mask in a chair,

I will wear a mask anywhere!  🐳

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Masks are a deal breaker for us on a cruise, so we’ll wait until things are a bit more relaxed.  If not, then we’re done.

Agreed, "Lady Arwen."  They are disgusting for several reasons, including (but not limited to) the following ...

1.  Hiding a considerable portion of a person's personality, for, while the eyes are sometimes called "the window to the soul," a smile or frown may reveal as much or more.

2.  Forcing the wearer repeatedly to feel the unpleasant heat of his/her exhalations (many degrees warmer than "room temperature").

3.  Forcing the wearer to inhale a great deal of Carbon Dioxide, instead of clean air (mainly Nitrogen and Oxygen).

4.  Causing the wearer to experience discomfort caused by the elastic of the ear loops.

5.  Muffling the wearer's voice, making others unable to hear (and thus forcing the speaker to repeat him/herself with excessive exertion).

6.  Causing a loss of money for the purchase (not a great deal for a single person, but an enormous amount for society collectively).

7.  A considerable number of people (consciously or not) rely on lip-reading.

Please add other factors and thoughts, if you wish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Masks are a deal breaker for us on a cruise, so we’ll wait until things are a bit more relaxed.  If not, then we’re done.

The same applies to us (I don't pretend to speak for others). I have chronic lung issues, so, if masks are still a necessity, cruising is not safe for me. I don't go out more than is absolutely necessary, and I wear my mask and follow all the recommended precautions when I do. The proof is overwhelming that masks do not cause any respiratory harm to the wearer, and they do a tremendous amount of good in reducing the spread of droplet-borne disease. 

We will be living most of the time in our new RV, a great way to be socially and physically distant while still getting to travel. We've noticed that most hikers in the remote places we visit wear masks. Those who don't have been polite and given us a wide berth as we pass on the trails. Folks in the RV parks all seem to respect one another's space. 

We look forward to returning to cruising as soon as we feel it's a good idea for us. We fully respect that it might be a good idea for others well before then. 

The medical folks in England are now saying that those with lung problems (COPD, Asthma) should not wear masks.   Guess we know the passengers who will be excluded from cruising in the near future. However, if you have trouble breathing while wearing a mask, the mask is the least of your issues.   You should not be I’m public as you can still spread the disease.    We have a friend with lung problems who uses oxygen.   He wears a mask but is getting oxygen through a cylinder underneath the mask.

• Like 1

While I won't be cruising if the threat of infection is sufficiently strong as to warrant a mask, I have absolutely no objection to wearing them and have done so since March when out in public. They aren't in the slightest bit "disgusting", but you might have to try a few different masks to find one that is the proper style and size for you. I have four different cloth masks currently, all slightly different but all very wearable. It's unfortunate that there is so much disinformation being propagated by the anti-maskers.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pickels said:

Ok, we know that you will have to wear a face mask inside the ship (bummer), but what about the pool deck, relaxing on your chaise lounges?  And are they placing the chaise lounges six feet apart on the decks?

Provide the news release from Celebrity wearing a face mask is mandatory  when cruising resumes? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It's unfortunate that there is so much disinformation being propagated by the anti-maskers.

Agreed! This video by an Irish doctor (eventually wearing SIX masks) shows that there is no decrease in oxygen levels of mask wearers.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/irish-doctor-tests-whether-wearing-211802787.html

If wearing a mask increased CO2 levels of the wearer, there would be no surgeons, surgical techs, surgical nurses, anesthetists, etc. left. They all would have died from wearing their masks. The same goes for carpenters, woodworkers, auto painters, and anyone else who has been wearing masks for generations. The anti-mask nonsense arguments would be comical if the consequences weren't so serious. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, jg51 said:

3.  Forcing the wearer to inhale a great deal of Carbon Dioxide, instead of clean air (mainly Nitrogen and Oxygen).

PLENTY of people - DOCTORS and other MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS who spend a great deal of their day in them have disproven that with PulseOx monitors.

• Like 13

"It's unfortunate that there is so much disinformation being propagated by the anti-maskers."

We have not encountered anti-maskers "propagating disinformation," and we ourselves do not do so.  Rather, we (1) explain facts regarding why masks are extremely unpleasant to so many, and (2) we offer an opinion that masks are disgusting, regardless of "style and size." 

Nevertheless, we also wear masks where they are required by law (while feeling disgusted with every breath taken)!

We cannot help noticing that those who oppose us seem to focus on just one point (Oxygen versus Carbon Dioxide), when we made SEVEN points, six of which they conveniently ignore.  Even if we were to be persuaded that masked people get enough Oxygen, we would still stand firm in hating masks, because the other six points are incontrovertible. 

PS:  Our belief that there is insufficient Oxygen taken in came, not from hearing/reading any comment from another person, but from our very first experience wearing a mask for sixty minutes: Oxygen deprivation and excess Carbon Dioxide caused a headache.

Edited by jg51
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

IMHO there is a huge difference between annoying, and disgusting.  Wearing masks is annoying (but very important right now!), but to me there is nothing disgusting about a device with the potential to save thousands (if not potentially millions) of lives.  What IS disgusting are the people who selfishly refuse to wear them when they should.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jg51 said:

"It's unfortunate that there is so much disinformation being propagated by the anti-maskers."

We have not encountered anti-maskers "propagating disinformation," and we ourselves do not do so.  Rather, we (1) explain facts regarding why masks are extremely unpleasant to so many, and (2) we offer an opinion that masks are disgusting, regardless of "style and size." 

Nevertheless, we also wear masks where they are required by law (while feeling disgusted with every breath taken)!

We cannot help noticing that those who oppose us seem to focus on just one point (Oxygen versus Carbon Dioxide), when we made SEVEN points, six of which they conveniently ignore.  Even if we were to be persuaded that masked people get enough Oxygen, we would still stand firm in hating masks, because the other six points are incontrovertible. 

PS:  Our belief that there is insufficient Oxygen taken in came, not from hearing/reading any comment from another person, but from our very first experience wearing a mask for sixty minutes: Oxygen deprivation and excess Carbon Dioxide caused a headache.

Most of your points are subjective opinions and certainly not facts. For example, if you wear a properly sized or style of mask, the ear loops aren't uncomfortable in the slightest, or will be non-existent if you get style that ties behind your head. 

• Like 12

When I boad on Monday for my " Blue Voyage" out of Hamburg- I have plenty of masks with me. The already told in a letter that one has to wear a mask where social distancing is to possible.

I wear my mask in my daily live since May- and I feel no ill effects- one has to get used to- yes- but as soon as I leave - say a shop or a Restaurant the mask comes off! Sitting at once table in a restaurant the mask comes off. No big deal - I don´t get it why people make such a song and dance when they have to wear a mask- which protects NOT oneself but others- and if all are wearing them- everyone might be safer!

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

No big deal - I don´t get it why people make such a song and dance when they have to wear a mask- which protects NOT oneself but others- and if all are wearing them- everyone might be safer!

Everyone knows why.  It's just if we say it on this forum, the post will get removed and we will get a warning to our account.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The seven points by jg51 are indeed subjective.  So let me offer my subjective response to each one:

1.  I enjoy seeing a smile, too, but much less so if the smiling mouth emits you-know-what in my direction.

2.  I don't find my exhalations to be unpleasantly hot.  Then again, I live in the always-cool Pacific Northwest.

3.  Do you have a source for this opinion?  Medical professionals manage to survive even though they wear masks all day. 

4.  My masks have never, ever caused discomfort around my ears.  That's because I adjust them to fit.

5.  I haven't run into this problem.

6.  Mask costs are a tiny concern when fighting a pandemic.

7.  I haven't run into this problem, either.  (Nobody I know reads my lips.) 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

When I boad on Monday for my " Blue Voyage" out of Hamburg- I have plenty of masks with me. The already told in a letter that one has to wear a mask where social distancing is to possible.

I wear my mask in my daily live since May- and I feel no ill effects- one has to get used to- yes- but as soon as I leave - say a shop or a Restaurant the mask comes off! Sitting at once table in a restaurant the mask comes off. No big deal - I don´t get it why people make such a song and dance when they have to wear a mask- which protects NOT oneself but others- and if all are wearing them- everyone might be safer!

Enjoy your cruise.  Come back and let us know how it was.

• Like 2