Would you fly to Cruise?

janewe

We know there is no social distancing on flights now with middle seats being bookable.

People are allowed to take their own food on the plane.

Would you fly to your cruise knowing the person beside you can remove their mask and eat, perhaps for an extended period of time?

Should eating on planes be banned during covid 19?  

It all depends where you live, whether to fly or drive for 4 days. 

We would have to fly.

After reading so much input from CC'ers in the past few months , we are staying put.

Just not worth it to spend the money and have so many  " anticipated " restrictions , plus, the conversion rate of the Canadian dollar at 38% doesn't help either.  

Absolutely 100% yes. Flying is very safe and there are still airlines blocking middle seats. All airlines are cleaning and sanitizing the planes after every flight and using UV and electrostatic cleaning and all (at least in the US) require masks. 

Flying is my absolute least worry right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If and when cruising ever resumes, we have no other option to fly to the embarkation ports. Not my concern what the airlines may allow or what they do. I'll let the airlines figure out the logistics of flying. Way above my pay grade. Were just along for the ride. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

If and when cruising ever resumes, we have no other option to fly to the embarkation ports. Not my concern what the airlines may allow or what they do. I'll let the airlines figure out the logistics of flying. Way above my pay grade. Were just along for the ride. 

Agreed, same here.

Currently would not want to fly , I want to be able to drink when flying , we will have to fly for April cruise, hopefully before that. We are lucky enough to fly first so we do not have a issue with middle seats and have a little extra room.

The cleanliness of the planes is nice but something you could have reasonably dealt with on your own.  Having to rely on other people to keep their distance and wear a mask is too fraught with uncertainty.  Even with middle seats open, you still have people sitting less than three feet from you on all sides.  Sitting in a confined space next to a potentially infected person breathing on me for hours?  Doesn't sound safe or smart to me.

• Like 1

For us any cruise other than Alaska (which was nice but there are so many other cruises to do before we go back there) requires a flight. The next one is a rather long direct flight Vancouver to Auckland, if one is to be constantly afraid then stay home. Use reasonable precautions, or stay home and rust.

• Like 1

Background:

. we think we contracted Covid in Feb flying from Ft Myers ( RSW) to Islip NY (ISP)  through Baltimore. We left Florida healthy but  arrived home sick in one to two days...very sick.  ( person who drive us to the airport  was not  ill and did not get sick)

.At that time Covid was not being thought of,....dh  tested neg for flu and  we both had taken had the enhanced shot.  No way to tell what the heck it was...we just suffered  at home for two to three weeks .,very sick and weak, poor breathing. More recently, researchers at local SUNY hosp have opined that Covid was  here in Feb. Many similar stories to our experiences.

In any event,  our June round trip flights to Ft Myers were cancelled by SW Airline so we never returned to Florida.  We are booked to return in Nov and hope it works out..We have  a Jan cruise on Connie out of Tampa but expect that may not go off.

We try to be in Fla for the season when we cruise...but sometimes we have flown  directly to FLL,  spent overnight pre cruise and then taken our cruise.  Afterward, we rent a car  and drive to our West  coast winter base.

So yes , we would fly to cruise but only in the US where we hope we  could reach a stateside hospital if needed.  We always buy  evac ins and extra health ins b/c Medicare and our supp does not cover outside US....No long international flights or pre cruise stays in foreign country, and shorter cruises for now are preferreed by us.

Wearing the mask is a comfort and breathing issue so shorter flights will be best for us..We plan to purchase plastic safety shields too! Other pasengers and usi g the washrooms are  a risk!

• Thanks 1

Would definitely not fly, too many people crowded together. Its a 24 hour drive to Florida for us and I would do that and cruise if allowed. Not concerned about wearing masks on ship or other restrictions. But on a plane where the guy next to me is not masked so he can eat? No way.

Easy way to get cruises going again, make them all 2 or 3 days with testing before boarding and then no more tests. If you get it onboard you dont know until you get home and cruise can say you got it on the way home. Isn't that how the airlines can claim no one is catching it on their planes?

We don't fly to begin with so aren't going to start now to get to a ship.

We live in Florida and are content in our golden years to just sail out of the Sunshine State to the Caribbean 3 times a year.

Edited by MISTER 67

26 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We don't fly to begin with so aren't going to start now to get to a ship.

We live in Florida and are content in our golden years to just sail out of the Sunshine State to the Caribbean 3 times a year.

Good plan...esp if Tampa becomes a reg home port!

7 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Why?

Aircraft --- Filters (air i xchanged - granted its changed with a mixture of kerosene 🙂 )   and your semi in control as long as you dont need the bathroom..

Airport - just look at any recent photo of people queuing for customs/border/terminal shuttle/car park shuttle etc / etc etc   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fly a 3 hopper from Florida (VPS), thru Atlanta, to somewhere in Europe, then on to Malta to catch a cruise next April?  Can't even book the flights now because of restrictions.  BUT as of now, no, we don't want to fly and will probably have to cancel this trip by mid-January (before final).  DH, a pilot.