The Daily for Saturday 02/12/2022

richwmn

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  It's in the mid 50sF now, but should be about 81F this afternoon.

A nice collection of days.  DH likes movies more than I do, but there are some I like.  I'll also celebrate hug day and freedom to marry day.

The quote is true and a good one for two of today's celebrations.

We have not been to today's port.  We only made it to Manila in 2018.

We'll pass on the drink and the meal.  The wine sounds nice and has a nice price too.

@MISTER 67   🥂 HAPPY 76th BIRTHDAY!  🎂  Enjoy your outing to Tampa.

@lindaler  Beautiful picture.

@kazu  Jacqui, it does seem the timing of the pills is the answer to sleeping later.  The flowers sound lovely and I know Jose will enjoy them.  Thanks for the memes.  I also watch for the Clydesdales.

@rafinmd  Roy, it will be nice if Nieuw Amsterdam is back in service with passengers.

@ottahand7  Glad your brother is on the mend and can now have his surgery.

@Heartgrove  Congratulations!   Please let us know if it's a boy or a girl.

@ger_77  Gerry, good news that the mattress is a keeper.  It's good to know some people do a really good job on snow plowing/removal.

@496and706  Welcome to the Daily, which is a very friendly, supportive place.  Hope to see more of you.

It's about time to hand the first load of clothes out to dry.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Interesting group of days today Rich.  I totally agree with the quote.  Not sure about the meal and have not been to today's destination.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Cubbie Blue:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Tropical Fruit Rum or Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Blue Curacao

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a shot glass.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 7.40.44 AM.png

Rhey used to say I bleed Cubbie Blue!  That is because I am a Chicago Cub fan.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Well I am absolutely devastated in that I wrote a huge post and CC ate it!!  😭 😭 😭 I’ve learned to make a copy before posting, which I did, but then I read @496’s post,  copied the link to help her, and completely obliterated my own post!!  I’ll try to recreate it.

Yesterday we hit a high of 68f/20c and tomorrow we are expecting snow.  Weather whiplash for sure.

Global Movie Day was founded in 2020 to celebrate the power of movies to reach, connect, and inspire people across the globe.

0B0C77C0-5940-4670-A401-ADC5BAC350BD.thumb.jpeg.1b0d4aa7971ee2ddd57e7bdf97efb39d.jpeg

• The first movie I saw at a drive-in was Blackbeard’s Ghost.  We got to wear pajamas and bring a pillow.  We would play on the swings until it was time for the movie to start.
  • My first musical was Mary Poppins.
  • First animated movie was Snow White.
  • Neither my husband, nor I, can recall the first movie we saw together.  😂 We think it may have been Diary of a Mad Black Woman
  • I do not have a favorite movie line because there are so many good ones.  The one I hear most often, from my husband, is “Okay, Marge.” from the movie Fargo.  😂 I just love the characters and personalities from that movie.
  • Every Friday I would sleep over at my BFF’s house because it was Friday Night Fright Night on TV.  We would make a batch of popcorn and laugh our way through them because they were usually B-rated movies like The Green Slime and It Came From Outer Space.  Jan-in-a-pan was particularly hysterical, from The Brain That Wouldn’t Die.  The Alfred Hitchcock movies were always good.

@marshhawk, I am sorry to hear of your illness and I am wishing you the best.

Happy Birthday to @MISTER 67!!

@Sharon in AZ, that is super great news about your Mother!!  Well done Mom!!

Congratulations to @Heartgrove on the announcement of your new grandchild!!  I bet you are all thrilled.

As always, prayers go out to all on the Care List and CONGRATULATIONS to all who are celebrating.  I am looking forward to a productive day but would much rather be joining those of you watching movies.  🙃 Take care.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Late to the party!  It’s 57 degrees and should rise to a scorching 65 F today. Need’s to start warming as Spring Break is right around the corner.

The plan of the day is to go shopping for a couple of clothes items I want for upcoming cruises. On reading “our in house app”it appears some low cal pot roast menu is on the agenda for tonight but I’m just dreaming of Sunday’s chicken wings, sloppy joes and wine! Monday will be a pay for it day.

Have been to Philippines but not this port. Long time ago I attended Jungle Survival School there in preparation for my aircrew duties in Vietnam. Will be returning during our World cruise to Philippines and Vietnam. The latter will be emotional and a closure.

Thanks Rich, Roy and all of you that enrich our Daily lives.

• Like 28

1 hour ago, 496and706 said:

Hi!  Thank you so much for this post.  I haven't been on this site much in the past 2 or 3 years. I booked a cruise yesterday, so, of course, I am all excited and planning what  excursions to pick and what clothes to pack. Much too early to pack because we don't leave until Oct.8!  I am so grateful for freedom to  marry.  I am now married to the man that my dad refused to let me marry when we were younger and I still lived at home.  Hugs are a marvelous thing.    Thank you to whomever decided to start the Daily threads  a couple of years ago.  I had a friend on the Maasdam  2 years ago and I came on this site to read updates as to where the ship was almost every day until they finally docked.  I can't even remember where they docked, but it took them a long time to find someplace. I would love to change my name as "706" was my now ex husband. Any hints on how to do that would be appreciated. 

Welcome!

• Like 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. I like movies, hugs are missed in current circumstances, and freedom to marry is important. The quote is true.

The meal, drink and wine all sound good.

I haven't been to the Phillipines. Thanks for any pictures to come.

A cold front is moving in, bringing some flurries. I think I'll make pizza dough, to rest overnight for tomorrow.

@MISTER 67 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎂

@kazu Enjoy your visit with Jose today and I'm sure he'll love the flowers. I hope Marley's pill schedule helps him sleep in!

@grapau27 Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

@marshhawk That's strange about the boxes at the neighbor's house. Do you have any outdoor cameras to see people coming and going?

@Heartgrove Congratulations to your DD! And on a new grandchild!

@ger_77 Yay on this mattress being a winner.

@496and706 Welcome to the Daily!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

We're having glorious sunshine this weekend, I hope to be outside for most of it.

Good collection of days today, but I'll pass on the drink, meal and wine.  Tacos will be our dinner tonight.

@MISTER 67Happy Birthday!

@Heartgrovehow exciting about your DD's pregnancy! You must be over the moon!  My best friend's daughter is in the very early stages of IVF, I know we'll all be so happy if/when she's able to carry a baby to term.

@496and706Welcome to the Daily!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone,

It is a beautiful sunny, but frosty day today! 

Hubby and I have finally said one way or another we will plan a Panama Canal cruise for 2023.  We had been hesitant with the folks needing daily care, but have decided we will make plans and then call in favors from the rest of the family to attend to the folks while we are gone.  The past 2 and 1/2 years, seems like we have postponed to many things!  Now looking at what itineraries look good!

Does anyone have suggestions on a 4 wheel type of luggage, our 2 wheeled suitcases are getting worn and time to consider replacing, we were thinking the 4 wheel would work much better (protect the shoulders!) for us, but when looking concerned the wheels might catch and become damaged by the various baggage handling systems.  Has this been a problem for anyone?  What brand do you like?

@MISTER 67Happy Birthday!  Have a great day!

@Heartgrove Congrats on the new Grandbaby!  Always and exciting time to celebrate a new family member!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Denise

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, and thank you, everyone, for the Daily News!  Happy Birthday, @MISTER 67, although I guess you are on your way now and won't read this. And congratulations on a new grandchild, @Heartgrove!   And welcome to the Daily, @496and706!

I lived in Manila as a child, but didn't wander from there, except once or twice to Baguio.  The sunsets over Manila Bay were the most beautiful in the world (they said...) and I remember looking out toward the island of Corregidor.  So I was looking on line to see if pictures of what I remembered would come up, but it doesn't look like what I remember from 70 years ago!  Porto Princesa sounds like a made-up name, is it a cruise port?   I am not fond of spicy food, so, although I have pork chops out for dinner tonight, I won't make the dish.  We did a bit spicy last night, plain quesadillas for me but Pat and DD tried out the jalapeño sauce I had bought at Trader Joe's, and both declared it to be spicy!  

I was moaning yesterday to DH how the days are moving along, and all he said was "Each day is one day closer to cruising."  The eternal optimist!  

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Interesting that the Island Princess is likely to be used as the quarantine ship in place of the NA.  That's my next cruise ship! 

That's speculation but I did see her anchored off Ft. Lauderdale in a rendezvous with a Regal Princess tender so I think there's a pretty good chance that it's true.  Island is also on the schedule for PE tomorrow while the 3 BHB and at least one other Princess ship are in port,

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks all!  A special shout out to Ann and Jacqui for the great cartoons!  
Go Clydesdales!  
Freedom to marry who you love is very important and it is a bonus when your spouse is your best friend as I am so blessed.  That dinner looks really interesting Debbie. 
@MISTER 67happy birthday on this auspicious day!  I was born on Einstein’s birthday lol!  
@kazu hope you can get the timing tweaked for Marley,   Glad you can see Jose and take some flowers!
@Heartgrovecongratulations on your miracle grand baby!   Ours is double digits now😀
@496and706welcome,  I loved your story of how you’re now married to who it seems was destined for you. 
@ger_77glad the mattress is working for you! So important! 

3 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

When we moved to Anderson Island, WA (home of many deer and almost no hunting allowed), we wanted to add some color to the yard. We spent hundreds of dollars on bulbs from Holland Bulb Farms that were on the deer resistant list. None of them survived; only the daffodils made it to the flowering stage, and then a young fawn would come and eat the flowers and then spit them out. Since we had new fawns every year, the daffodils never did survive.

Since the bulbs were guaranteed, we phoned the bulb company and they provided us with a 100% refund (which surprised me).

Apparently, deer don't read the list of deer resistant plants. 

How funny!   We’ve had some spit out flowers too!  Love that beautiful location, we were fortunate to have friends on Stuart island years ago, and my aunt had property on Whitby island.  

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

Interesting that @HAL4NOW should mention color on Anderson Island. Our family home looks out over the island and I have always thought of it as a mystical place. Here is a view of Anderson Island from our deck. 

85FE24AC-BC50-4F74-9FDC-BAB6D992B9C4.jpeg

Absolutely lovely! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

They are also Vole candy.  I planted our vegetable garden full of them in Maryland trellised them and headed to our cabin in Michigan for the summer each year.   First year it worked great.   The following year the voles devoured almost all of them before they sprouted.  I told Dan's Dahlias don't send me another catalogue.  Too heartbreaking.

Yikes!  That is heartbreaking. 😔 I’ve never had a problem with voles but I don’t put my dahlias in the ground.  They go in huge pots on my deck instead. Easier for me to dig up without hurting them 🙂 

@kazuI am happy you found some flowers to bring in that are scentless.  I love Calla Lilies.   

Thanks.  I grow a lot of callas - DH and I love them too.  I’m hoping they remind him of spring and put a smile on his face.

My brother is on the mend and he is awaiting a new date for surgery.  Probably while we are on the cruise.   

Good news !

You can remove him from your list.  Prayers for everyone on Roy's care list and I wish everyone a good weekend!    🙏

yellow pink tip fancy.jpg

Gorgeous dahlias!  You have good taste.  I have some that are similar 😉 

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Later today we are going over the mountain to my daughter's house. They are having a family-only Reveal Party! It has been a very tight-lipped time for my daughter and her long-time boyfriend as they began the IVF process last year in early Summer. They wanted to make sure before announcing. The process has a number of twists and turns that must be completed. She is now twelve weeks pregnant and feel that they can make the announcement. We are very excited about having  a grandchild nearby!

How so very exciting!  So happy to hear this good news!  Looking forward to your update tomorrow.

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

When we moved to Anderson Island, WA (home of many deer and almost no hunting allowed), we wanted to add some color to the yard. We spent hundreds of dollars on bulbs from Holland Bulb Farms that were on the deer resistant list. None of them survived; only the daffodils made it to the flowering stage, and then a young fawn would come and eat the flowers and then spit them out. Since we had new fawns every year, the daffodils never did survive.

Well for crying out loud! 😱 😡 Daffodils are the one flower that deer aren’t supposed to touch.  I’ve had them spit out one or two but then the rest are left alone.  That’s so disappointing to hear.  Hope ours don’t develop a tasted for them 🤞 

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Night 3 on the new mattress has deemed it a success - it's comfortable and both of us sleep well, which is all anyone can ask for!  I'm still waking up with lower back issues, but I think it's a result of being prone for so long, as once I'm up and walking around a bit, it goes away.  Or, *shudder* could it be signs of aging?

Glad to hear the new mattress is a success.  Hope your lower back issues soon disappear though 🤞 

2 hours ago, 496and706 said:

Hi!  Thank you so much for this post.  I haven't been on this site much in the past 2 or 3 years. I booked a cruise yesterday, so, of course, I am all excited and planning what  excursions to pick and what clothes to pack.

Welcome to the Daily.  Have fun planning for your cruise 🙂 

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, it does seem the timing of the pills is the answer to sleeping later.  

Thanks to the big hint yesterday, I am now working on changing the timing of his pills.  So this morning’s was later so I can give him tonight’s much later 🤞 it works.  I’ll keep playing.  He’s such a good boy and, if this is one small sacrifice I have to make, it’s worth it.  He needs the pills.

6 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Does anyone have suggestions on a 4 wheel type of luggage, our 2 wheeled suitcases are getting worn and time to consider replacing, we were thinking the 4 wheel would work much better (protect the shoulders!) for us, but when looking concerned the wheels might catch and become damaged by the various baggage handling systems.  Has this been a problem for anyone?  What brand do you like?

If you are going with 4 wheels (and I love the 4 wheeled ones) go for the spinner type.  Those things turn on a dime with no effort at all.

The hard sided luggage we have is Heys and the soft sided is Swiss Gear.  I’ve been happy with both.  they have their pros and cons - the hard sided is water proof and more protective of contents but there’s no flexibility with packing.  The soft sided is somewhat water proof but not as good as the hard cover, however you can get more stuff in the nooks & crannies IMO.

Definitely go for a light weight one.  Haven’t had a problem losing our wheels except once long ago (a different brand) and we were able to get it fixed on board.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 4966and556 said:

Sorry for all the confusion.  I ended up having to log and and come back as a new member to get rid of my previous name.  

I think I just added you to the Future Cruise Listing?  If I did, please post (you can quote my reply to you if you like)  and just remind me of your name change so that I list you properly.  If I’m in error, apologies.

• Like 18

39 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Morning Everyone,

It is a beautiful sunny, but frosty day today! 

Hubby and I have finally said one way or another we will plan a Panama Canal cruise for 2023.  We had been hesitant with the folks needing daily care, but have decided we will make plans and then call in favors from the rest of the family to attend to the folks while we are gone.  The past 2 and 1/2 years, seems like we have postponed to many things!  Now looking at what itineraries look good!

@MISTER 67Happy Birthday!  Have a great day!

@Heartgrove Congrats on the new Grandbaby!  Always and exciting time to celebrate a new family member!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Denise

We have Travel Pro and like it.  It has to be lightweight so we can put more clothes and goodies in the bag.  I found this cool article from Travel Pro on choosing your luggage.  Happy reading!

https://travelpro.com/pages/2-wheel-vs-4-wheel-luggage

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Traveler's Choice Hardside Expandable Spinner Luggage has worked well for us. Available on Amazon.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

0B0C77C0-5940-4670-A401-ADC5BAC350BD.thumb.jpeg.1b0d4aa7971ee2ddd57e7bdf97efb39d.jpeg

• Tough one.  My parents would take us along to the Paulo Drive-in when we were little.  Yes, we were in our pajamas.  I do have a memory of a western movie fight scene where the bad guy goes over the cliff.  It may have been a Lone Ranger movie.
  • I'm pretty sure it was "West Side Story."
  • "Lady and the Tramp"  I'm pretty sure that was also the first movie my parents took us to that was in a theater.
  • Easy one.  It was our first date.  "Young Frankenstein"
  • There are so many memorable lines.  Three-way tie for first.  Sorry.  All from "Casablanca," but none spoken by the well-known leading actor.
    • Captain Renault:  I'm shocked.  Shocked to learn that gambling is going on, here.
    • Captain Renault:  I'd like to think you killed a man.  It's the romantic in me.
    • Captain Renault:  Major Strasser has been shot.  Round up the usual suspects.
  • Hate horro movies.  The one I first remember was on TV one night.  "The Cyclops" a 1950s flick centered around the horrors of radiation.
  • Like 23

When I was stationed on Taiwan and my DW and I were planning to marry, we had to go thru a few hoops to get permission from the Navy.  One was counseling from a Navy Chaplain who was a Baptist minister.  I remember him saying that most marriages like this don't last very long, but if you still insist, I recommend you get married in the Navy chapel.  I later met with the Navy Legal Officer who explained that interracial marriages were illegal in many (mostly Southern) states and we could be jailed if living there.  He said that the Navy would make sure we were transferred to a state without those restrictions, and we were transferred to California.  I had been attending services held by an Episcopal missionary and we talked to him about getting married.  He had been in China and Taiwan for years and was fluent in Chinese.  He said "I can't marry you two as she is a heathen"  He explained that he could only marry Christians, but as she wanted to become a Christian, he would be happy to have a baptismal ceremony followed by a marriage ceremony.  That was 59 years ago.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

30 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

Sorry for all the confusion.  I ended up having to log and and come back as a new member to get rid of my previous name.  

Welcome to the Daily.  I look forward to getting to know you better.

@Heartgrove Congratulations on the impending birth of a new grandchild.   I look forward to tomorrow's announcement.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

Glad you could change your CC name.  Thank you for letting us know so we'll recognize you in the future.

Lenda

• Like 15