The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 29th, 2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

NCL, The Jade for 10 days in Northern Europe. Haven't traveled on NCL in years, it will be interesting to see how NCL compares to HAL...

I was on the Jade in May, and on the Gem (sibling) in 2018, and had very good experiences on both. You may feel that the MDR food isn't quite as good as HAL's, but some of it is very good; it's just that some of the always-available menu choices are, imo, below par. Your booking may include some specialty dining.  There are more shipboard activities and the entertainment is more extensive, but there is nothing like the Lincoln Center Stage. NCL's ordinary coffee isn't good enough to call mediocre and I was a frequent visitor to the Java Café on deck 7. If you have a balcony or higher cabin you will have, or can request, a coffeemaker.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmd You can put me on the CELEBRATION list!  I just received excellent news. My family's Florida place was spared. 

With Hurricane Ian going on-shore 18 miles south of us, we ended up on the 'good side' of the hurricane. (Is there such a thing???) My family's place is on a narrow barrier island sandwiched between the Gulf of Mexico and the Intercoastal Waterway. 

Ian's circulation there resulted in its winds moving from east to west and pushing the Gulf waters offshore. So, that saved our western shoreline. On our eastern side, high seawalls kept the Intercoastal waters from flooding us as Ian's winds pushed those waters at us from the east. We truly had the best possible location and incredible luck.

The report is that there was no storm surge in our immediate area. My family's place roof, windows and walls are intact. Lots of palm trees are shredded or down but none into our structure.

There is no power, no cellular, no internet. And, the municipality turned off the water and sewer preventatively prior to Ian. It's anybody's guess when services will be restored. As the Governor said this morning, "Charlotte County is off the grid."

I pray we will soon hear similar good news from @MISTER 67 but he is in Punta Gorda --  a much harder hit part of Charlotte County -- and is surely off the grid, too.

My family and our treasured place are incredibly lucky. I know many, many others aren't as blessed.

Thank you, ALL, for your prayer and care,

-Melisa 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd You can put me on the CELEBRATION list!  I just received excellent news. My family's Florida place was spared. 

With Hurricane Ian going on-shore 18 miles south of us, we ended up on the 'good side' of the hurricane. (Is there such a thing???) My family's place is on a narrow barrier island sandwiched between the Gulf of Mexico and the Intercoastal Waterway. 

Ian's circulation there resulted in its winds moving from east to west and pushing the Gulf waters offshore. So, that saved our western shoreline. On our eastern side, high seawalls kept the Intercoastal waters from flooding us as Ian's winds pushed those waters at us from the east. We truly had the best possible location and incredible luck.

The report is that there was no storm surge in our immediate area. My family's place roof, windows and walls are intact. Lots of palm trees are shredded or down but none into our structure.

There is no power, no cellular, no internet. And, the municipality turned off the water and sewer preventatively prior to Ian. It's anybody's guess when services will be restored. As the Governor said this morning, "Charlotte County is off the grid."

I pray we will soon hear similar good news from @MISTER 67 but he is in Punta Gorda --  a much harder hit part of Charlotte County -- and is surely off the grid, too.

My family and our treasured place are incredibly lucky. I know many, many others aren't as blessed.

-Melisa 

That is good very good news. Now we wait for @MISTER 67to check in.

Susan

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser A booze cruise, when people get on a ship for 2-3 nights, and party as much as they can, until they get the booze bill, and then whimper themselves off the ship.  As long as you can ignore the "dumb" you should be fine.

Annie, I was not talking about taking a booze cruises.  I was answering @Heartgrove Jack's question about Grand Princess' and just mentioned that someone called cruises in Australia booze cruises.  If I'm ever on one, I'll avoid the pool area and the bars.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa 

What a relief that must be to the family!  I'm so happy to hear good news today from people in the path of this very destructive hurricane.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa 

Excellent news Melisa.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Prayers for all who are suffering from the devastation of Ian.  I've been watching for updates on FB from a cruising friend who lives in Ft. Meyers.  Nothing from her since yesterday...  and I hope we hear from @MISTER 67soon.

Melissa @HAL Sailergreat news that your family home was spared. 🙂  

Sandi @StLouisCruisersthank you for posting your daughter's Halloween tree, it looks great!

Jacqui @kazuGood luck in finding a Ft. Lauderdale hotel.  I'm not surprised that the reviews of Embassy Suites have gone downhill.  We've stayed there twice and thought it was overrated.  Our room was a dump -- bugs everywhere, fixtures falling off the wall, smoke smell, stale pastries at breakfast, I could go on.  Needless to say we haven't considered that hotel in a long time.  I know many people love that hotel, but we've stayed in hotels half the price that were much better.

@HAL4NOWthank you for the latest update on the fire.  I was hoping you got some of that rain we had yesterday, just sorry it wasn't very much.  Safe travels home.

I'm late getting here today, no sleep last night.  I have nothing to blame other than myself and my usual pre-cruise racing mind.  It just would not turn off last night, and was around 4 am before I dozed off.  Off to make another pot of coffee 😉  have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good morning and thanks all!  Glad to hear most are doing ok.  Love Broadway and London west end theatre!  We have been very blessed over the years to see some amazing theatre,  even Helen Mirren and Julia Robert live.   

@summer slopehope your tree can be saved! 
@Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for the great photos! 
@HAL Sailer wonderful news! 
@dfishthanks for the wonderful recipes, the one Cooked in orange and lime juice sounds wonderful! 
@kazu I second Sandi’s recommendation, we liked the Hyatt place as well.  Love the post on grief! So true! 
@ger_77glad you could get your shots, we can’t get the high dose until mid October.  I’m still waiting to see if the Pfizer booster will be approved.  
@mamaofamisorry to hear about Sam and your DD.  Hope they feel better soon! 

A few more photos of Larch season in the Rockies, the only needle trees that change colour and lose their needles each year.  They are very soft to the touch unlike regular pine needles. 

5C67DF36-8C9A-4E19-AEC0-08FF5A6D9EEE.jpeg

80203B2B-B4D4-495B-A77D-610BCA405467.jpeg

857559AB-63BB-4C27-B4AE-6A7B7F6142D4.jpeg

3607996A-B7F1-4D14-8AF8-160334159254.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, summer slope said:

Tree branches and leaves all over the place.  My precious Mango tree is laying on it's side.  Hopefully we can put it back in the ground.  That's all the damage.  Thank you God!

Thank you, God, is right.  I'm thankful you are ok.  A tree can be replaced if necessary.  You can't.

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

@dfish, your new home is gorgeous!  I love all the light and the character.  One thing to be aware of with the windows close to the ground…. My cottage on Georgian Bay has windows like that.  One girls’ weekend, we woke in the middle of the night to a strange crunching sound.  We all got up and stood on the landing trying to figure out what it was.  Turned out to be a raccoon chewing its way through one of the screens in the living room as I’d left the windows open to catch the cool air.  When we chased it away there was a hole as big as a baseball.  I don’t even want to think what would have happened had we not woken up.

Thank you for the comments about our new home and also for the warning about critters and the low windows.  We'll be sure to watch out for that!   Enjoy your trip!

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@dfishDebbie, congratulations on you new home!   I love the ceiling height and the layout of the kitchen and you have a nice yard too!   Congratulations!!  

Thank you!   Inspection is set for next Wednesday.  After that, we are free to close.

@HAL Sailer What wonderful news about your family home!   

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa 

Truly wonderful news, Melissa!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@HAL Sailer Melissa   Excellent news. After all the bad news we have heard about the destruction, it is good to hear something positive. 

I thought we were clear but it just doesnt want to let go. We are currently having heavy rain and strong winds.  

I had put up one of the shutters so I could see what was happening.  It is now back down.   

Port Canaveral remains closed. They were going to reopen tomorrow but that has now changed to possibly Saturday.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Dailyites, at least I hope it is good, especially for the Floridians among us!   I'm not feeling great, a little bit wobbly, as I tried to do some gardening, just dead-heading and watering, but tired quickly. I'm not sure if I'm over this Covid!  I think we will test again on Saturday, as I am free to leave isolation on Sunday.  

Confucius say "Leave the dam tap on, I'm trying to take a bath!"

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

We are now under a Hurricane Warning.  Upgraded from a Tropical Storm Warning.  (Beaufort County SC)

They have closed a bridge between South Carolina to Savannah and are contemplating closing the bridge to Hilton Head.  This is not good.

Now everyone is scrambling to get prepared at the last minute.

I stopped at the Publix because yesterday I went there for milk and bought everything but.

Well, the shelves are empty and I got the last bottle of milk.

I hope everyone in the path of this storm remains safe.

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11

Happy to hear that some of our “Dailey” Floridians are reporting in they are safe and damage free. Still anxiously awaiting to hear from all. Understand that communication is impaired or non existent with millions without power and completely off the grid.

All we can do is wait , pray and hope!🙏🙏🙏

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A salute to Maritime Day, Broadway and Confucius. It's also National Coffee Day! I love my coffee. True quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink, and I like the wine but it's too pricey for me.

I haven't been to Majuro.

I had an Ophthalmology appointment this AM. Everything looks good per the doctor, so I just keep on with all the drops and meds. I'd planned to get bloodwork done after, but forgot and ate some toast this morning, so now I need to go tomorrow. The temp went down to the mid-40's overnight, and the house was around 62 when I woke up. It's now 57F outside. I've held off so turning on the heat so far, but it's tempting! 

@kazu Oh my on flurries this weekend!

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@summer slope Sorry about your mango tree, but glad that's the only damage.

@*Miss G* Good to hear you made it to Manchester.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the Majuro photos.

@Cruzin Terri Prayers for safety and that your house gets no water. I hope you get to Barbados.

@StLouisCruisers DD's tree is great!

@cunnorl I'm glad you're ok so far. Stay safe.

@ottahand7 I overpronate and just bought some Saucony running shoes from their online site, on sale. I also put orthotics in them.

@smitty34877 I'm glad you're all feeling ok and pray for negative tests tomorrow.

@Heartgrove I've sailed on the Golden Princess in the Caribbean and to Hawaii; it was a nice ship. Good to hear that the cortisone shots helped Sue and the hyaluronic shots for you. I'm going mid-October to see about the HA shot, since the steroids no longer seem to help me.

@mamaofami Oh no on shingles for Sam; did he get antiviral meds to lessen it? Shingles are contagious until the vesicles crust over. I hope the new aide is a good one. Prayers for your DD with the concussion.

@Cat in my lap I can imagine you're anxious to get home to see how things are.

@HAL4NOW Safe travels home to Skykomish. I hope there is some rain to help the situation.

@HAL Sailer Great news about the family home. 

@MISTER 67 Thinking of you.

@bennybear Nice photos.

@Vict0riann Don't overdue; I hear the fatigue can go on a while.

Prayers for the Care List and all those in the path of storms. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 8

@HAL Sailer, great news on your family house.  @Cruzin Terri stay safe as Ian approaches.  Things don't sound good for your getaway to Barbados.  Just wondering, would it be possible to go somewhere nice and inland when your anniversary comes.  Your house may be the best place to ride out Ian but it's no place for a celebration.

I have a bit of my own good news.  I got a message from my niece in Orlando that her family is ok.  I can't confirm she has power but she does have a generator.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@HAL Sailer, great news on your family house.  @Cruzin Terri stay safe as Ian approaches.  Things don't sound good for your getaway to Barbados.  Just wondering, would it be possible to go somewhere nice and inland when your anniversary comes.  Your house may be the best place to ride out Ian but it's no place for a celebration.

I have a bit of my own good news.  I got a message from my niece in Orlando that her family is ok.  I can't confirm she has power but she does have a generator.

Roy

Excellent news from your niece in Orlando Roy.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This will give an idea on how much rain is falling on Florida.

Picture of what it looks like in Daytona Speedway. They could have boat races! Unfortunately there is much worse devastation  and it sounds as if the death rate will be high.

image.thumb.jpeg.2ef4ea211cd51b4bb342b179d568214b.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 18

Good afternoon from warm, sunny, windy central Texas.  We are home from the pre-op stuff at the hospital.  As seems to always be the case, it's hurry up and wait.  Our neighbor warned us that it too about two hours, but for us it was about three hours with the MRI thrown into the mix.  At least, now, DH is cleared for surgery and given more instructions.  The only bad news was that instead of arriving at 6 am, it's now 5:30 am with the surgery at 7am.  I guess we'll be leaving at 0 dark 30 that morning.

It is good to have so many Floridians checking in.  I hope @MISTER 67 and @jimgev  are all right and just can't check in due to power outages.

@cat shepard  Ann, glad  you had no damage, and hope that continues when the eye crosses the peninsula.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad you DGD and her friend are all right.  I imagine the friend's grandmother is glad for company during the storm.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I'm sorry your nephew's in-laws lost their house, but I'm thankful they had evacuated and are safe.   I hope Ian takes his leave of Florida soon.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you and your DH stay safe as Ian moves toward your area, especially now that you are under a hurricane warning.  These storms are so unpredictable you always need to be prepared in case they change course or intensity.  I liked @rafinmd Roy's suggestion of a anniversary get away to an inland resort if you don't make it out on October 3.  It won't be the same, but it might be the break you both need.

@ottahand7  Enjoy your get away in New Buffalo.

@ger_77  I'm glad you are getting  your senior flu shots and boosters.  DH has decided to wait until after both surgeries because of the medicines he can and can't take until then.  I think I'll wait and get the shots at the same time.  We stay pretty much at home, except when I have to run errands.  I'm sorry your favorite hotel in Barcelona will be closed when you are there.

@Cruise Suzy  Thanks for checking in and letting us know you are safe.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad all are feeling well, and sending positive thoughts for negative tests tomorrow.  I'm glad the new aide is coming back today.  Hope your New Hampshire get away next weekend goes well.

@Norseh2o  I'm glad your DM is settling into her new home and really likes it.

@mamaofami  Oh no, Carol, about Sam having shingles and having to miss the Rosh Hashanah festivities.  I hope all your friends in Florida are safe.  I hope your DD is on the mend. That concussion sounds serious. 

@Cat in my lap  I hope your place near Tampa is all right.  Safe travels home Saturday if the planes are flying.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I'm sorry you had to cancel your cruise because of DH's work schedule.  You do know that work is a 4 letter word.  😈

@HAL4NOW  Thanks for the update on the Bolt Creek Fire.  Safe travels home, and I hope you find everything all right.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, I know it must be a huge relief that your family's home survived Ian's wrath.

@bennybear  Thanks for more photos from your mountain get away.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I'm sorry you are feeling bad again.  I hope you are better soon.  I loved the meme.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm the eye doctor gave you a good report today.

@dfish  Debbie, sending positive thoughts for a really, really good inspection next week so you can go to closing.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

I've been calling moving companies and wow!  Moving is expensive.  The problem will be that I have to be out of this house by November 4th and can't get into the new one until November 7th.  Those three days are expensive!

Inspection is set for next Wednesday at 12/30 pm.  My brother in law will be there on my behalf to supervise.  He already checked out the electrical panel and some of the mechanical stuff.  He is concerned about the roof and the heating, mostly because they are unusual.  The roof is rubber, probably because the slope is not great enough for shingles.  From what I have read a rubber roof is just as worthy as shingles are.  They just aren't common.  The heating is a boiler.  Again, not common, but efficient and not as many moving parts to break down.  My concern is the skylights.  

The Ohio house is clear to close.  Everything is resolved with the inspection and the appraisal.  Let's roll!

I'm really hoping we hear from @MISTER 67 and @jimgev soon.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

I've been calling moving companies and wow!  Moving is expensive.  The problem will be that I have to be out of this house by November 4th and can't get into the new one until November 7th.  Those three days are expensive!

Inspection is set for next Wednesday at 12/30 pm.  My brother in law will be there on my behalf to supervise.  He already checked out the electrical panel and some of the mechanical stuff.  He is concerned about the roof and the heating, mostly because they are unusual.  The roof is rubber, probably because the slope is not great enough for shingles.  From what I have read a rubber roof is just as worthy as shingles are.  They just aren't common.  The heating is a boiler.  Again, not common, but efficient and not as many moving parts to break down.  My concern is the skylights.  

The Ohio house is clear to close.  Everything is resolved with the inspection and the appraisal.  Let's roll!

I'm really hoping we hear from @MISTER 67 and @jimgev soon.  

Debbie, that all sounds good except the moving being expensive.  When we moved in 1999, our house sold quickly  We moved out in July, and could not get in our new house that was still under construction until the week before Thanksgiving.  So all our things were in storage except what we loaded onto the motorhome.  We spent part of that time wandering the country, including Alaska, to avoid the Texas summer heat.  At least,  you, like us, are saving money by doing the packing yourself.

I hope there are no problems with the inspection, and glad that your DBIL will be there.

Lenda

• Like 14